The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Quest to DD my '71 again (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=522463)

mcbassin 08-13-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Quest to DD my '71 again

Sounds like you are making good progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tynee 08-17-2012 08:11 AM

Don't think that nobody's reading. I've got a bunch of nagging stuff to do to my DD, too.

LEEVON 08-20-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5537586)
I will bet you the adult beverage of your choice that thing can't make it to Kansas City. Wager payable at the Riverside show. The gauntlet has been thrown down, sir. I wanna see it!

Hmmm. I killed it this weekend, there is an end in sight...you might need to get the cooler ready!

Low Elco 08-20-2012 06:40 AM

Bring it on! BL or Shiner Bock? I'm just glad someones getting ahead!

Low Elco 08-20-2012 06:52 AM

Oop, I looked, name it!
Posted via Mobile Device

ls1nova71 08-20-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5548049)
Hmmm. I killed it this weekend, there is an end in sight...you might need to get the cooler ready!

Does this mean what I think it does???? I'll be looking for ya!

Low Elco 08-20-2012 11:42 AM

Ls, does your buddy still mess with the old trucks? I think I saw him in a BEAUTIFUL 71 3/4 ton 4x4 the other day. I used to live around the corner from him on 35th. Hope to see you there!
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 08-20-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 5548487)
Does this mean what I think it does???? I'll be looking for ya!

I sure hope so...as they say "All we lack is finishing" :lol:

My neighbor was going on and on about the family truckster the other day : )

ls1nova71 08-20-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5548519)
Ls, does your buddy still mess with the old trucks? I think I saw him in a BEAUTIFUL 71 3/4 ton 4x4 the other day. I used to live around the corner from him on 35th. Hope to see you there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes he does, he'll be there with his 2000 mile shortbed, and maybe a couple more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5548619)
I sure hope so...as they say "All we lack is finishing" :lol:

My neighbor was going on and on about the family truckster the other day : )

Did your neighbor go to the show in Branson? My buddy took my car to it, said it was a good show.

And good luck finshing up your truck, cant wait to see it all freshened up!

LEEVON 08-20-2012 02:07 PM

Well, don't get too excited it still just a driver that hopefully doesn't leak anymore!

Yep, he saw it in Branson. I think the cool weather probably made it that much better this year. I didn't make it though.

You asked about insurance in a previous post, I confirmed with ANPAC there is no way to have a DD under their agreed-value policy either. That changed the game a bit, so "DD" might not perfect fit for this truck but I still want to drive the heck out of it!

I did a mod yesterday that I'm really happy with. When I first added the 700R4 I took out the factory TH350 shift linkage stuff and replaced it with Lokar. The original stuff was really worn and didn't align well with the trans. I bought some good used parts and spent some time on it yesterday. I moved the "post" bracket back about 1-1.25" on the frame so it aligns perfect and shifts like butter. I couldn't be happier.

Low Elco 08-20-2012 03:00 PM

That's the exact same thing I did. Welded and ground the parts for a good tight fit and eyeballed where to move the support, works like a champ! Don't know why people monkey with it. Ls, put in my vote for that 4x! I don't even like 4x's, but that's a cool truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 08-20-2012 03:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I fail at pics...I take them but my Droid X2 has the WORST camera and they all come out blurry unless the stars are aligned just right. Here are a couple that you can actually see; check out this pristine factory harness I bought from VA72C10.

LEEVON 08-20-2012 11:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
She has seen the light :lol:

LEEVON 08-20-2012 11:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If you squint it almost looks like a whole truck. Tomorrow I'll be painting the inner fenders chassis black. I have help lined up for Thursday evening to get the clip on, my hand tonight has a short attention span and only weighs about 75 lbs otherwise it would be done.

Low Elco 08-20-2012 11:53 PM

X2 on the short Att span helpers. Wait till he's 12, and the hormones scatter the few brain cells he has! Got some help outta mine tonight. Looks good, keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 08-20-2012 11:58 PM

Looks great! Nice job freshening it up. I really am liking this color combo more and more...

JWall 08-21-2012 08:30 AM

Looking good... I have always liked your truck!

LEEVON 08-21-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5549806)
X2 on the short Att span helpers. Wait till he's 12, and the hormones scatter the few brain cells he has! Got some help outta mine tonight. Looks good, keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, middle schoolers are like aliens to me right now. I can only hope that he catches the bug...at 12 I was neck deep in "sport truck" magazines and convincing my Dad to customize his truck. I was successfull in getting him to color-match everything, billet grill, sport mirrors, tailight covers and put on 2" drop shackles. That was 1992. Something tells me that my boy won't have to try so hard though. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5549817)
Looks great! Nice job freshening it up. I really am liking this color combo more and more...

Thanks, I can't say enough about the harness it solved my problems. I literally took a ball of wires out of the dash that barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket. After separating the original, hacked-up harness and the a/c harness the rest was still a giant ball. I felt like an archeologist. Besides the previous owner's artwork, I had "wired" (at 16 years old, lacking tools and patience) the stereo, amp, various accessories, and an electric washer pump all with good intent and piss poor execution. Hard to believe this truck once had a system in it...

LEEVON 08-21-2012 08:39 AM

Off topic, but I recently ran into a girl who I hadn't seen in 16 years since I took her on a date in the truck. She asked if I still had it, and by chance that was when I was driving it everywhere. I said yep, drove it here! She gave me a look like "I don't know if that is cool, or this guy is stuck in the past"....I did get a kick out of it.

LEEVON 08-24-2012 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was supposed to get the clip on yesterday, but got back late from a KC trip, I did get it cleaned the other night though. The fenders were originally glossy, but despite the pics (wet) they were very scratched and dull so I have gone back to the factory satin look.

And I got a bunch of small parts this week. LMC sent a giant box full of packing peanuts with tiny bags of things like grommets, shift indicator and screws. When the package is 2" square and clear it can be kind of hard to find, I had to sit on the floor and move peanuts by the handful into a trash bag until I found everything. I appreciate the packing though, even if it is massive overkill though LOL.

LEEVON 08-25-2012 11:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm having a banner weekend. The whole interior is back together, just need help putting the clip on and a few odds and ends like plug wires, throttle bracket, tuning and dial-in plus a trip to the exhaust shop and I'll be rolling.

I repaired, cleaned or replaced everything under the dash including the control cables, a/c hoses, vacuum lines, washer lines, etc. My old washer pump was bad and it was bypassed with an electric unit which I tossed for a good stock pump. I used the correct circuits and connectors for extras like the tach, stereo, and lock-up which really cleaned up the wiring. I'm glad to have the peace of mind...although I still have to start and test and there could be a gremlin or two. I had to get a little creative since the harness I got is for a non-a/c truck but it was pretty straight forward.

I also fixed the seat adjuster rod and catches. I completed blasted and restored the seat a couple of years ago, but was missing a couple of parts and one side of the seat would slide around. Probably the best part is the tilt is back together and looks/works perfect. I like the black column and wheel for a change.

LEEVON 08-25-2012 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic for VA72C10

Here is the part of the non a/c dash harness that is different. It has the plug for the fan switch, heater resistor and blower motor. These are all in the stand alone a/c harness that is separate from the dash harness in a/c trucks.

In order to make this work, I had to move the power wire to the a/c harness switch plug. There is also an extra ground that is un-used. That's about it.

Tinkermc 08-26-2012 03:34 PM

looking very nice

big_al_71 08-26-2012 03:42 PM

Wow leevon the truck is coming out awesome!!!!

Great job man

LEEVON 08-26-2012 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5558519)
looking very nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_al_71 (Post 5558529)
Wow leevon the truck is coming out awesome!!!!

Great job man

Thanks!!!

I finally got some help putting the clip on, I thought I was going to have to stand in the street and hijack somebody but the neighbor brought some muscle and we got it done. I asked all of my co-workers and they were busy except my intern and I had a feeling he wanted to say no but couldn't LOL.

Biggest thing to finish is exhaust, and that's more about loading the trailer and getting it there than actual time at the shop. I'm trying to make Goodguys KC this weekend and I'm about 50% confident that I can, but the unknowns will be electrical, leaks, etc. which I'm counting on.