The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Custom Chassis with canti setup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=148950)

Musclerodz 11-23-2005 11:07 PM

Re: Custom Chassis with canti setup

That is a waaay better setup than the first go round. Kudos to you on your fabrication skills. That should hold up forever and have an excellent ride quality.

Mike

cornutz 12-05-2005 12:09 AM

Hey Jr.--- any more pics to update us on? I know you have been busy burnin' the hours on this project...

:metal:

valleycustom 12-05-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornutz
Hey Jr.--- any more pics to update us on? I know you have been busy burnin' the hours on this project...

:metal:

Yeah, I'll take some more tonight. I need to have this thing on the road by the first goodguys in 06.

Damian 12-07-2005 12:01 AM

Dam thats some nice work you have done. I go down to Modesto ever weekend so I would like to see all the work in person and maybe talk to you about bagging my tuck. So let me know. Thanks

dwcsr 12-07-2005 01:25 AM

valleycustom,

I'm curious as to why you used a tapered roller bearing rather than a sealed axial ball bearing in that pivot. Its real nice work by the way.

cornutz 12-11-2005 11:51 PM

Come on Jr... I know that you must have already changed about 8 things already and have beefed up a ton more since the last set of pics... give us an update my man!

valleycustom 12-12-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcsr
valleycustom,

I'm curious as to why you used a tapered roller bearing rather than a sealed axial ball bearing in that pivot. Its real nice work by the way.

I used these because they can handle the side load pressure that is created when I bolt the unit together and it also keeps the shaft were it needs to be. There are bolts on each end of the shaft. When they are tightened the sleeves press against the bearings and keeps all the parts in place with the frame. Normal sealed bearings I feel can't handle the side pressures created when I bolt everything up. I could have placed a shim in between two axial bearings but I figured if any parts needed to be replaced this setup would be eaiser for a person to get parts.

valleycustom 12-12-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornutz
Come on Jr... I know that you must have already changed about 8 things already and have beefed up a ton more since the last set of pics... give us an update my man!

LOL cough cough cough... I've been trying to fight off a case of Pneumonia for over a week. As soon as I get back on my feet a will get some more pictures. I'm also waiting on Modesto steel to cut out the new arms I designed for the canti setup. I hate having to outsource work to other people, but it would have taken me forever to cut these out with my plasma and clean everything up.

70short/step 12-13-2005 01:30 AM

Hey Jr. If the weather is good this Saturday and you have time, I still need to come over cause I want you to make me those "bullets" for my lower shock mounts. Let me know here or I can just call ya I guess. Oh yeah, Just so ya dont forget........
24th All American Get-Together
March 25, 26, 2006
Pleasanton, CA
Need to see that chassis rolling by then! :)

FRENCHBLUE72 12-13-2005 10:15 PM

Nice damn work....

valleycustom 12-29-2005 12:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well here are some more pictures. I had some new brackets laser cut for the canti. It took over 2 weeks for this to get finished. So that set me back. I'm still on for the goodguys show in March. I'll be driving this there if my life depends on it. The body might not look to nice but it will be on the road.

valleycustom 12-29-2005 12:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I also had the driveline made by inland empire driveline. They did a nice job.

SCOTI 12-29-2005 01:52 AM

Very trick.

Izzy 12-29-2005 10:27 AM

Sweet.

FRENCHBLUE72 12-29-2005 05:36 PM

Its gonna be a shame to put sheetmetal on the chassis....

bshelton 01-06-2006 03:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures-Some other work done by Valley Customs. I figure its ok to post these pics because its a Chevrolet..its driven hard. Why do I know? Drag racing tickets and impounded car for 30 days to prove it. This was set up with 4 link, bagged, 350/350, 9" rear. We also moved the tranny tunnel up so driveline wouldnt hit, bunch of trick stuff. It will lay the frame on the ground and when you mat it..it hooks up big time. This guy knows what hes doing, he proved it on this Belair. Enjoy!

72CSTC5 01-06-2006 03:55 PM

Looks like Vegas on that suspension, "just a roll of dimes stacked on top of each other" gorgeous welding by the way. You need to teach some of the big name builders how to build chassis.

bshelton 01-06-2006 04:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
couple more bel-air pics

72CSTC5 01-06-2006 06:43 PM

Dude that 56 is so bad looking in Black. Love your car.

bshelton 01-06-2006 08:23 PM

right on..thanks!

fastbagged68 01-06-2006 08:35 PM

Bshelton....what else is done to the chassis. My buddy has a Nomad we are going to do. There are no floors in the car now so we might body drop it. What size tires are on that bel air? Is that the stock front end? Help me out!

bshelton 01-06-2006 09:03 PM

fastbagged68 brother,
The chasis has a c-notch kit from jegs modified alot, front is pro-fab bag setup using the stock a-arms, all hand built by VC. No body drop, just new body bushings and hardware. wheels were 17X7 front 17X8 rear with standard offset. One mistake I made was that the rear end is 9", it really is 8" from a Granada; the thing about the 8" is its really narrow so you can tuck everything pretty easily in the back. The tires 255/55/17 and 245/55/17..I think..sold the car to build a c-10 truck.

For advice on your friends nomad:
the kid from Valley Customs built this suspension, motor mounts, tranny mount-(tucked, he should manufacter these), entire floor hump redone so you could drive it on the ground as hard as you want without the driveline hitting the bottom of the floor, a cool pro fab sheetmetal floorpanel to match the C notch..... all 3 years ago. This means he was 13. Bottom line, he is a Badass fabricator and his dad is an engineer, so its genetics + skill. I say see him for advice/insight on any project. Bill S Modesto CA-

72CSTC5 01-06-2006 09:23 PM

bshelton, this kid is 16YRS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

valleycustom 01-06-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshelton
fastbagged68 brother,
The chasis has a c-notch kit from jegs modified alot, front is pro-fab bag setup using the stock a-arms, all hand built by VC. No body drop, just new body bushings and hardware. wheels were 17X7 front 17X8 rear with standard offset. One mistake I made was that the rear end is 9", it really is 8" from a Granada; the thing about the 8" is its really narrow so you can tuck everything pretty easily in the back. The tires 255/55/17 and 245/55/17..I think..sold the car to build a c-10 truck.

For advice on your friends nomad:
the kid from Valley Customs built this suspension, motor mounts, tranny mount-(tucked, he should manufacter these), entire floor hump redone so you could drive it on the ground as hard as you want without the driveline hitting the bottom of the floor, a cool pro fab sheetmetal floorpanel to match the C notch..... all 3 years ago. This means he was 13. Bottom line, he is a Badass fabricator and his dad is an engineer, so its genetics + skill. I say see him for advice/insight on any project. Bill S Modesto CA-

Dude I'm 26... He's joking. He owns the C-10 that I am working on. LOL The notch for the bel-air was from ***************** with over the axle setup. I made the front components. The center tunnel was moved up 2-3" to clear the driveline, and I custom made the 4 link.

cornutz 01-06-2006 11:41 PM

I heard that this Jr guy has six fingers on each hand and that is what enables him to achieve these awesome welds!!!!

Also, I heard his dad used to drink water out of a well near a hick town called Waterford... you see.... there might be something in the water that caused the spermies to, well, you know...the rest.:metal:

Bill G