The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1966 Chevy SWB Gasser influenced truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=315913)

hardwaa 08-02-2009 04:54 AM

Re: 1966 Chevy SWB Gasser influenced truck

:metal:Update with pics.:metal: Still need plugwires, fan, carb but getting there.:metal: Headers will be painted white:metal:(After crappy black burns off). Steering finished.:metal: No more brake booster.:metal: Pics not loading:banghead:

hardwaa 08-02-2009 05:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
:metal:VICTORY:metal:

hardwaa 08-02-2009 05:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Truck now has automatic steering column and no more clutch pedal!:metal: Also put in a 91 burb front seat its wider and you sit lower than the stock seat not to mention MORE COMFORTABLE!:metal::metal:

SCOTI 08-02-2009 08:25 AM

Cool. What intake? How about some final stance pics after the PB notch out back? What set-up are you using for that?

CWT 08-02-2009 01:48 PM

What happened to the finned valve covers they were sweet on the gold. :ito:

CWT 08-13-2009 10:08 AM

Any updates on this truck?

jchav62 08-13-2009 12:35 PM

Nice! I love them old 327 valve covers. Very classic looking...

hardwaa 12-27-2009 11:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It runs!!!(see signature)
Bed mounted.
Rear whitewalls fixed. (The small whitewall drove me nuts)
Pics at rideheight. (Maybe 1/2 inch up in rear but thats it)
Engine done minus some small details
Next:rear bags,shocks,driveline

TwoFiftyShifter 12-27-2009 11:58 PM

What happened to the headers being white?

198plus 12-28-2009 12:00 AM

Truck looks sweet and sounds good too ;)

joe231 12-28-2009 12:00 AM

SWEET!!

very clean :metal:

rustSpot 01-04-2010 01:01 AM

One of the best looking trucks on this site! Nice work!

lakeroadster 01-04-2010 09:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sweet truck, love the gold motor.

I don't get the title "Gasser Influenced" though. I was anticipating a front straight axle, nose high attitude and lotsa motor.

Whatever you call it though you do nice work.

SCOTI 01-04-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3709691)
Sweet truck, love the gold motor.

I don't get the title "Gasser Influenced" though. I was anticipating a front straight axle, nose high attitude and lotsa motor.

Whatever you call it though you do nice work.

Big & little Cragars, gold motor, period valve covers & air cleaner are all period 'correct' items from the 'gasser' days so 'gasser influenced' sounds right to me. It's just not a straight axle & has a modern lowered suspension which is much better for driving.

lakeroadster 01-04-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3709844)
Big & little Cragars, gold motor, period valve covers & air cleaner are all period 'correct' items from the 'gasser' days so 'gasser influenced' sounds right to me. It's just not a straight axle & has a modern lowered suspension which is much better for driving.

You can't re-write history. I think most old timers would agree that your phrase "modern lowered suspension" and "gasser" are about as different in the Hot Rod vernacular as "low-rider" and "Rock Crawler".

Pick a NHRA class of that era, nearly all were running big a littles and aftermarket valve covers. What sticks out in the minds of those who saw gassers run was the nose high attitude and the straight axles.

Like I said I really like Hardwaa's truck.... it's all good, but I still fail to see a gasser connection.

Jonboy 01-04-2010 07:17 PM

I don't care what it's called, I like it!

blackmopar 01-04-2010 07:37 PM

i agree - i like the truck very much - but also agree - it is not a gasser - ive been thinking aboiut actually doing my LWB in gasser style, but wont be for a while - need to get it to be a daily driver first and foremost or it will be a mobile home for my divorced ass.

anyway - nice job, i love that sea foam green exterior and Im in process of stealin your gold theme motor

great job man!

markeb01 01-04-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwaa (Post 3442955)
Truck now has automatic steering column and no more clutch pedal!:metal: Also put in a 91 burb front seat its wider and you sit lower than the stock seat not to mention MORE COMFORTABLE!:metal::metal:

Dig the Covico steering wheel, they are extremely rare today.

Question - do you remember the original application for the upper radiator hose?

SCOTI 01-04-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3710586)
You can't re-write history. I think most old timers would agree that your phrase "modern lowered suspension" and "gasser" are about as different in the Hot Rod vernacular as "low-rider" and "Rock Crawler".

Pick a NHRA class of that era, nearly all were running big a littles and aftermarket valve covers. What sticks out in the minds of those who saw gassers run was the nose high attitude and the straight axles.

Like I said I really like Hardwaa's truck.... it's all good, but I still fail to see a gasser connection.

Ok. Enough hair splitting...... How should he correctly describe his theme? Nostalgic? 60's? Vintage?

I've seen many 'support' vehicles for gassers that weren't running straight axles. So would a gasser-influenced 'support' truck work better?

lakeroadster 01-04-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3710725)
Ok. Enough hair splitting...... How should he correctly describe his theme? Nostalgic? 60's? Vintage?

I've seen many 'support' vehicles for gassers that weren't running straight axles. So would a gasser-influenced 'support' truck work better?

Sure, those would all be great!

Hickup pickup 01-04-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3710586)

Thats why he called it a "GASSER INFLUENCED" and not a Gasser. Why you don't get that is simply amazing to me. you can paint a painting like a Picaso but it won't be a Picaso But it might have very simular characteristics and you might say " that guy must have been "INFLUENCED" by Picaso, yet it still is not a picaso, but you can see the "INFLUENCE" that picaso had on the new artists painting just as you can see many characteristics from a "GASSER" in HARDWAAs truck. In fact if it had a straight axle it would in fact "BE' a "GASSER" and not simply be "GASSER INFLUENCED" I could continue to give you many more examples of what being "INFLUENCED" means or even give you the Websters deffinition but that might become cumbersom bordering on being redundant, and I would never want to do that .

hardwaa 01-04-2010 09:58 PM

I thought I posted a while back that I call this truck "The Pusher"( notice title of youtube clip in my signature). That Steppenwolf song was playing one night in the garage and I looked at my truck and said perfect . When I started building this truck I wanted that 60's dragrace/pushtruck vibe. It must be from my old gasser, fuel altered books that I drool over,and love all the old trucks in the backround that pulled those HOTRODS to the track.
Anyways thanks for the compliments. Truck is up for "adoption" but not sure if I could let it go will have to see what happens.

joe231 01-04-2010 10:44 PM

this reminds me of the pro-street debate :rolleyes:

Hickup, you beat me to it, I agree whole-heartedly :thumbs:

Hardwaa, I hope it doesn't get adopted, hang on to it if you can :D

chevytrucknut 01-04-2010 11:49 PM

Hey the truck looks badazz.

NF65Fleetside 01-05-2010 01:06 PM

Im glad it was finally considered a support truck.....put some bumper guards on the front or a push plate and then it can also be a salt flats push car too! By the way that vid clip is insane, short but so motivating! love the stance, sound and look....your project is actually really great and period correct for any route a owner of that day was going for.