The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=436034)

Fitz 12-21-2010 11:42 AM

Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4359902)
Do you have any idea JUST how tunable that is? Combined with a custom PVCR you can build a fuel curve that will challenge fuel injection!!!!

Yes, but do you have any idea how many people that read this board have no clue how to adjust the idle mixture?

I vote Holley but that's an argument like Ford vs Chevy....a neverending story

Now I better go get into a FIRESUIT....:lol::lol::lol:

ebry710 12-21-2010 01:25 PM

Although there are Q-jet fans, 59% of the people here have decided not to use a Q-jet on their engines.

Of those people half use Holley and half use Edelbrock.

Who would have thought? :mm:

68Stepbed 12-21-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4362947)
The Ed's have a little computer chip in the bottom of the base plate that you HAVE to remove if you want them to run past the 90 day warranty period. :lol:

Oh, that's the secret. :dohh: They must put in the directions, but they didn't show a picture, so.......

prostreetC-10 12-21-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebry710 (Post 4363014)
Although there are Q-jet fans, 59% of the people here have decided not to use a Q-jet on their engines.

Of those people half use Holley and half use Edelbrock.

Who would have thought? :mm:

Well that's an interesting perspective. I'm hoping though that people are voting for their favorite rather than what they are running.

Fritz: I do understand what you mean but that was a response to someone claiming just how tuneable a Q-jet was. I just needed to address the fact that Holley has a lot more than just 2 or 4 A/F idle needles. Those same people couldn't adjust a Q-jet either.

ebry710 12-21-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4363048)
Well that's an interesting perspective. I'm hoping though that people are voting for their favorite rather than what they are running.

I'm am hoping people are using their favorite and not stuck with what they are running. What fun would that be?

prostreetC-10 12-21-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebry710 (Post 4363359)
I'm am hoping people are using their favorite and not stuck with what they are running. What fun would that be?

I'm guessing a lot of people, including myself, have the "well enough alone" philosophy. If their truck is running just fine, they don't really care about the name on the carb.....especially if it means more money. Here are some of my examples:

I'd love a 572 BBC......but my 460 is working "just fine".
I'd love a 6 spd manual....but my M-22 is working "just fine".
I'd love a 4 link Moser 9"...but that ole stock 12 bolt ARS END is working "just fine".

:metal:

Gene 12-21-2010 07:22 PM

Edelbrock. Had them all, put an Edelbrock on and havent touched it in 10 years.

Hubscrub 12-21-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4363380)
I'm guessing a lot of people, including myself, have the "well enough alone" philosophy. If their truck is running just fine, they don't really care about the name on the carb.....especially if it means more money. Here are some of my examples:

I'd love a 572 BBC......but my 460 is working "just fine".
I'd love a 6 spd manual....but my M-22 is working "just fine".
I'd love a 4 link Moser 9"...but that ole stock 12 bolt ARS END is working "just fine".

:metal:

very true, i do that so i can stay out of dept and hopefully retire at a young age;) my main tv in the house was built in the 80's

1LOW4X4 12-22-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4362679)
Bottom line is the Holley will take over when the lil Q-jet is exhausted. It's not really up for debate.

The why in the hell did you ask us? Basically what it boils down to is that you are a Holley fanboy and think everyone needs to be.

I think a Ford is a rolling disaster but I dont try to convert their drivers! To each his own.

I really dont have a big preference in these choices...The only reason I chose Q-jet is because its whats on my trucks and the damn thing works good and my family has always been able to make em sing. But I find it hilarious that you just wont let the argument die!

JuicyJ 12-22-2010 03:09 AM

I voted holley because it is what works for me.

prostreetC-10 12-22-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4 (Post 4364265)
The why in the hell did you ask us? Basically what it boils down to is that you are a Holley fanboy and think everyone needs to be.

I think a Ford is a rolling disaster but I dont try to convert their drivers! To each his own.

Ummmm.......If you check my post #79, I said I was having a lot of fun with this thread. I look at is as "banter". Here is the def for you:

ban·ter/ˈbantər/
Verb: Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way: "the men bantered with the waitresses"; "a bantering tone".
Noun: The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks. More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

If I like Skidoo and my bud likes Polaris....we will kid each other. That's all that's going on there. I've been around these guys a lot longer than you and we get to kidding and having fun. I really don't think anyone is taking any of this too seriously.....except.....well.......

Maybe you should scoot yourself over to the 1986+ forum huh?

1LOW4X4 12-22-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4364283)
Ummmm.......If you check my post #79, I said I was having a lot of fun with this thread. I look at is as "banter". Here is the def for you:

ban·ter/ˈbantər/
Verb: Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way: "the men bantered with the waitresses"; "a bantering tone".
Noun: The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks. More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

If I like Skidoo and my bud likes Polaris....we will kid each other. That's all that's going on there. I've been around these guys a lot longer than you and we get to kidding and having fun. I really don't think anyone is taking any of this too seriously.....except.....well.......

Maybe you should scoot yourself over to the 1986+ forum huh?

Not buying it. You got butthurt and in between your posts you have been trying to hide it by saying you are "enjoying" it. As I recall Q-jets came on a LOT more than 67-72's....

Holley lost, get over it. Its not up for debate, old man

1LOW4X4 12-22-2010 03:25 AM

You could always start a new thread on what carb is good for "BIG POWER" LMAO

Your turn....And I like the definitions in your comebacks, you really do your research

prostreetC-10 12-22-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4 (Post 4364287)
Your turn....And I like the definitions in your comebacks, you really do your research

I figured if I didn't post the definition of "banter", you might think I was talking about one of Santa's reindeer... lil guy! :haha:

For those of you that know me.....I'm going to shut down my Holley business now. They are just not what I thought they were.

ebry710 12-22-2010 12:53 PM

You can see why there is so many opinions. Apparently, each of the three major carburetors work. Each has their following.

prostreetC-10 12-22-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebry710 (Post 4364448)
You can see why there is so many opinions. Apparently, each of the three major carburetors work. Each has their following.

Of course they all work well. If they didn't, they'd have a website like the "preditor" carb. ;)

ebry710 12-22-2010 01:11 PM

To be honest, I did not expect the evenness of the poll. I had assumed after 40 years, one of these carburetors would have been found superior.

prostreetC-10 12-22-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebry710 (Post 4364477)
To be honest, I did not expect the evenness of the poll. .

Boy me neither. With Holley's "tempermental" reputation, I figured it would get some vote but not nudge out the Ed's. I was sure them (Eds) and the Jets would be battling it out for first.

1956cameo 12-22-2010 01:41 PM

I never had a Holley, ran Edelbrocks with no problems, but my trucks seem to run the best with the Quadrajets. They seem to run smoother, start easier, and idle better. Of course my trucks are pretty stock. If I was going to hop up my trucks I would go with an Edelbrock no questions asked.

ebry710 12-22-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1956cameo (Post 4364530)
I never had a Holley, ran Edelbrocks with no problems, but my trucks seem to run the best with the Quadrajets. They seem to run smoother, start easier, and idle better. Of course my trucks are pretty stock. If I was going to hop up my trucks I would go with an Edelbrock no questions asked.

My truck became a farm truck. By the time I got it the Q-jet was being held together by baling wire. Since Edelbrock stopped producing the Q-jet, I went on 67-71chevytruck and asked which was the alternatives. Holley and Edelbrock 1406 came up.

Back in the day (70's) I use to have a Holley 4-banger on a 68 Dodge Polara w/ a 383 and a police pack. What power when those secondaries kicked it, wow.......but I still have nightmares thinking about rebuilding it.

Jacfourteen 12-22-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebry710 (Post 4364571)
Back in the day (70's) I use to have a Holley 4-banger on a 68 Dodge Polara w/ a 383 and a police pack. What power when those secondaries kicked it, wow.......but I still have nightmares thinking about rebuilding it.

Really? I had never rebuilt a carb (except for small engines) before and when I pulled my holley apart I couldn't believe how simple it was and how few pieces were in there.

Jacfourteen 12-22-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4358477)
I do not care for them at all. They just really feel like a cheap carb. I must admit that I don't have a bunch of experience with them but the simple fact remains and that is that Holley abandoned the design and went back to what has worked for 40+ years. You cannot beat a 4150 or 4160 series Holley.......unless you look at the results of this poll. lol :lol::lol::lol:

I've always been a fan of buying a used or rebuilt high-end carb as apposed to a cheap new carb. From a business standpoint, their resale value sucks too.....but that doesn't really mean much to an end-user. That's just from my point of view.

I've been following this thread but somehow I missed your response to my question. Thanks for the reply. I guess its one of those things where in theory they will be better, but in reality its a step backwards. Guess I'll stick with my SA 670.

prostreetC-10 12-22-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacfourteen (Post 4364663)
Guess I'll stick with my SA 670.

That is one great carb. I have in my inventory a 670, 770 and 870 street avenger. Hard to beat.

prostreetC-10 12-26-2010 11:07 PM

We need a tie breaker......

71meangreenc10 12-26-2010 11:33 PM

Edelbrock all day long....Have a Q-Jet on my shortbed, but once it goes, a 1406 will go on. Very simple for me to tune and rebuild.

Wont use Holley, bad history with me :)

Smitty