The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=499249)

1985-GMC 02-28-2013 08:12 PM

Re: The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins)

Oh ok those are the new style.

jbclassix 02-28-2013 10:57 PM

Do you have any tire rub issues with the front right tire on the down pipe with the exhaust run out the frame like that? I have been contemplating that route.

lowrollin70gmc 03-11-2013 11:38 PM

I haven't had any problems, but my front end is very stiff and doesn't like to flex too much. I'll see how it works out but I'm more worried about rust from wheel spray than smashing the pipe with the tire. Also, the pipe is very close to the firewall plate and heater hoses from Vintage Air, so I used exhaust wrap for the downpipe within the engine bay.

It might be changing eventually as I want to run an exhaust brake and there is no room behind the turbo for my spare PacBrake. The turbo needs to move forward and I'm thinking up, possibly an industrial manifold flipped? We'll see what happens but that is down the road.

RatRod68 03-12-2013 07:55 AM

get the console in yet?

lowrollin70gmc 03-18-2013 08:02 AM

I haven't bolted it down yet, but today may be that day as work just got canceled for a snow storm. I'm already up and have a lunched packed so I might just head out to the garage and take advantage of the time off.

67chevy2wd 09-16-2013 10:39 PM

Any updates? And nice to see another ND member.
Posted via Mobile Device

lowrollin70gmc 09-16-2013 11:54 PM

I've mainly been driving it as it gets the best mileage of my vehicles. I traveled for a few months for work and it pulled the 120 mile drive each way like a champ. A few fuel filter issues have popped up but that is due to the tank lining not sticking so once the tank is low this time I'm pulling it and cleaning her out.

Oh, and I swapped rear springs and shackles for about an inch more lift.That and a little trimming allowed my 37's to clear and flex. I can feel less power from reduced gearing and heavier wheels/tires but it still has plenty of grunt.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...psd231ba18.jpg

Oh, and I parted out a 91 C2500 that has donated it's cable operated hood latch to remove the need for the ratchet strap. After two years maybe it's time.

Dieselwrencher 09-20-2013 08:04 PM

Lookin good man!

OSM 70 C20 05-15-2014 06:46 PM

I think we passed on 25th a few minutes ago

lowrollin70gmc 05-15-2014 11:24 PM

We definitely did, I just got home from work in this guy, I put it back into service as my daily driver.

I need to put some updates on this thread, I've done a few little things over the winter (not as many as I wanted to) to include a new fuel tank, sending unit, filter mount, and a few other shenanigans. I'm quickly finding out having a few project cars/trucks and an old house and garage to work on eats up a lot of time. But I have a month break between classes, so hopefully I can get some sound deadener inside this rig as I don't think a radio would be much use right now.

shopteacher 05-18-2014 08:28 PM

Looking real nice! Just read the thread and I'm Subscribed !

There is lots of sheet metal in side the cab so some dyna mat or Fat mat will make a great improvement !

Keep us posted

Hart_Rod 08-30-2014 08:32 AM

bump

lowrollin70gmc 10-05-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopteacher (Post 6679039)
Looking real nice! Just read the thread and I'm Subscribed !

There is lots of sheet metal in side the cab so some dyna mat or Fat mat will make a great improvement !

Keep us posted

This man speaks the truth! While this update is a little overdue, I did finally put some basic insulation and carpet in this old guy. What a difference it has made! I've spent the last two years content knowing that my tin box was loud and obnoxious to drive, I've even driven 500 mile roadtrips (with no radio) without being able to think over the noise.

I can hear my phone ring while driving in town now! I can't answer it because my hands are busy driving, but I now know that it rang.

That insulation and carpet was done partway (stopped at my parent's house 250 miles away) through a 1500 mile weekend to attend Kool Deadwood nights with my family. This included laying down a 12 second pass at the dragstrip.

Okay, it was an 1/8 mile strip and it had wheel hop like none other but it was fun slamming the gears, I'll post up a video when I get time later this week.

Anyways, other than loosing a power steering return line at greater than highway speeds (>75mph limit) and borrowing a few quarts of power steering fluid from a nice gentleman in Christine, ND it's been running flawlessly. I finally turned up the pump and will be ordering injectors, a fuel pin, and new lift pump (I loose fuel pressure at extended full throttle) at some point this winter.

Winter projects for this guy:

-- Pull front clip to ease access to everything

-- Reseal motor, I'm leaking like crazy and I believe it's from the vacuum pump/timing case gaskets. This will be replaced with a plate to mount the power steering directly to the case.

--Rebuild front crossmember to accommodate a winch

----Hickey sidewinder I picked up last year
----Mile Marker hydraulic/powersteering (bought for car hauler, but not sure if I want to buy a hydraulic pump for my 62 IH's PTO.

-- Modify/fabricate a new exhaust manifold to move the turbo forward/up and mount exhaust brake.

-- Build new turbo/intercooler/intake plumbing

-- Mount / plumb larger air filter

-- Build an A/C compressor mount and reroute belt to make it work.

-- Clean and paint firewall

-- Clean and repaint motor : going back to Cummins industrial tan to better match future gold (original color) repaint

-- It will also be getting a wood headliner (thinking 3/4 or 1" strips, like a hand made canoe). I like dealing in metal, not so great with wood so a lot of help will come from my woodworking Dad, only problem is the 250 miles apart that we live. Maybe a long weekend at his place, so maybe not this winter but eventually.

Sorry for the long update, I'm loaded with work/school/house projects and can't seem sit down to write shorter posts more often.

Pics/video of drag run to come soon...

jbclassix 10-06-2014 01:09 AM

right on man! looking forward to the progress!

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2014 06:11 PM

Sounds like you can be relieved from the noise now. :lol: It's crazy how bad bread trucks and suburbans magnify the drown these things put off. It sounds like you have a good mod list going there.

Travisarmenta 05-22-2018 05:20 PM

Love it.

Semper Fi Bro

1972K20 07-11-2018 01:55 PM

Nice Suburban!

I like the Cummins. Any pics of the engine mounts or cross-member?

Also, did you pull the engine, trans and t-case out together with the cherry picker in the earlier photo?

lowrollin70gmc 07-12-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travisarmenta (Post 8266238)
Love it.

Semper Fi Bro

Semper Fi, I haven’t looked at those pictures in years. Lots of memories in those old barracks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972K20 (Post 8299072)
Nice Suburban!

I like the Cummins. Any pics of the engine mounts or cross-member?

Also, did you pull the engine, trans and t-case out together with the cherry picker in the earlier photo?

Thanks, it’s a fun truck and it hasn’t given me too much trouble in the years since building it. Just lots of driving and pulling trailers. I’ll grab some better pictures of the crossmember tomorrow, it’ll be dark when I drive it home tonight.

I pulled the entire engine/trans/case out of the Dodge as a single unit through the former grill opening on that trusty cherry picker. Then, I removed the 5 speed and NP205, did some painting, resurfaced the flywheel, put in a new clutch, and hung the NV5600 and Dodge NP205 off it. The entire assembly was put into the Burb (minus front clip) as a single unit with the same engine hoist, set at the final position, tacked up the mounts in place, unbolted the mounts for final welding and paint, then bolted back in.

I find that is the easiest path, as there’s no wrestling a heavy transmission into place and no guessing at measurements. The engine only went in once, and if I ever have to pull it, the entire assembly will come back out the same way.

lowrollin70gmc 07-18-2018 12:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, so tomorrow turned into a few days, but here are pictures of the motor mounts.

The engine side is stock 1991 Dodge W250 brackets and rubber engine mount. It is then attached to a plate and 2 parallel pieces of 1”x2”x3/16” tubing. A piece of angle iron (I think 3”x3”x1/4”) is bolted into the frame and the 1x2s are welded to it. I also designed the center section to be removable (the engine would have to be on a cherry picker for support, but it can be removed) for access to remove the oil pan if needed.

The trans mount is a piece of 6” channel on its back, with 2 poly bushings and tabs to a 2”x2”x1/4” tubing. This crossmember is the lowest part of my frame and even with the bottom of the clocked up NP205. This will also support a transfer case skid plate when I get around to it.