The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   power window regulators on the cheap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601167)

BLT gmc 07-18-2015 09:09 AM

Re: power window regulators on the cheap

Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device

bonnieclyde100 07-31-2016 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pdf of the plate that another reader has come up with that has more measurements

70STOVEBOLT 09-09-2016 05:34 PM

Anybody have issues with the glass binding after install? I am having trouble with both sides binding up. I do have all new weatherstripping, but I lubed them up and it still binds. I also lubed the rollers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First c10 09-09-2016 05:56 PM

Are the window glass channels adjusted? sounds like they maybe off kilter.

70STOVEBOLT 09-10-2016 10:52 AM

I moved the glass forward and backward and still binds.

colgad 09-10-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 7708928)
I moved the glass forward and backward and still binds.

I assume that the windows did not bind with the old manual regulator?
Is it the front edge of the window or the back that binds and by binding is the leading edge of the window digging into the felt in the channel or is it something else?
I did this about two years ago and have had no issues at all.

70STOVEBOLT 09-10-2016 04:45 PM

Dave it seems to be the glass is digging into the felt on the vent window channel.

70STOVEBOLT 09-10-2016 04:46 PM

They were not binding with the manual regulators.

colgad 09-11-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 7709133)
They were not binding with the manual regulators.

I should have asked this before but is the felt in the vent window channel the same or did you change it when you did the motor upgrade? Either way I think you may have a bind on the little short channel that is welded on the door. I know it's a pain to get at but it maybe gummed up or dirty not allowing the roller to move when it should. And I am sure you have attempted to adjust the rear guide but I can't believe that would cause the binding in the front. I guess you have run something along the vent window channel to see if there is something in the channel but I had to say it just in case.
Let us know if you fix this as I have seen it happen before but more with worn out channel material. Oh, does it happen right away when it first starts moving or later?
Best of luck with this.

70STOVEBOLT 09-11-2016 12:34 PM

All the weatherstripping and felts are new except the beltlines. It wants to bind about a third of the way down. I did try to adjust the rear guide, to no avail. I put Sil-glide on the window channel runs and the vent channel felts and lubed the rollers also. Could be cheap LMC vent channel felts?

colgad 09-11-2016 07:22 PM

I have the LMC felts to but mine could not work much better. You got me with this one. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a plan for ya.

ron lechman 02-18-2018 09:49 AM

Great idea! You must have spent a lot of time to perfect this.
Thank you for sharing.

Deej-79 02-18-2018 02:06 PM

Another project to add to my never ending list, thanks

stangtjk 03-17-2018 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a crack at this but didn't bother trying to modify the stock regulator to add a motor. I was going to but as I was searching for the motors I found that it was almost just as cheap to buy a complete regulator with motor from a late model truck. The regulators I ended up buying were only $23. The ebay listing said they were for a 99-00 escalade.

stangtjk 03-17-2018 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trimmed the bracket that came with the Escalade regulator and grafted on the part of the stock bracket. Also swapped out the arm that pivots and the roller on the main arm of the Escalade regulator.

Artofdeath 03-19-2018 09:04 AM

Subscribed

Richard2112 03-19-2018 09:32 AM

That was interesting.

Artofdeath 03-19-2018 10:00 AM

Stankgtjk do you have anymore pictures that show how you did your conversion? Looks good, would like to see more.

Thank you Sir!

LH Lead-Foot 04-14-2018 01:53 PM

I have looked closely as I could, over & over, but to clarify the gear, is it the OEM manual driven gear from the regulator as found on the OEM 67 - 72 C10? The teeth pattern is the only thing I can not verify. My window regulators are in the truck right now, so I can not see them or measure the tooth pattern.
From your description, it appears that it is the OEM driven gear, just turned 90 degrees...correct? It looks like it has one rivet retained to allow turning it the 90 degrees. Just wanted to make sure as this is sweet.

Well done fabrication, fitment and function!
Thanks very much, bonnieclyde100

70STOVEBOLT 04-14-2018 03:18 PM

It is the stock gear. You need a 9-tooth motor to mesh properly with the stock gear. And yes, you turn it 90 degrees and weld it fast.

LH Lead-Foot 04-15-2018 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, 70STOVEBOLT!

In Omaha, this Sunday AM, we have 2.5" of snow. I will check the tooth count on the motors I have, then look at the calendar for April the 15th for a few minutes!

CousinTone 08-29-2018 08:38 PM

This is great, and at the top for new views of this great mod!

CousinTone 09-02-2018 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all, Happy Labor Day, I’m hiding from my wife. I wanted to add something I ran across that MAY be a part of making our own power regulators a little easier. I found this on Amazon, it was about $15.00. The second pic has the dimensions noted out for your thought. I don’t quite know if this will work, but it does solve the issue of locating appropriate metal stock and drilling a clean hole. It’s made out of 18 gauge I believe and hopefully someone else will try to get our auto windows on the cheap, a little easier. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll post my trials, success or failure for all of us to learn from. Always think positive!!!

highwinger 12-02-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 6367481)
Bringin' it back to the top for a heads up. :burnout:

While looking a drawings in the service manual (pondering the rear window regulators in my Suburban) I just realized I welded my motor bracket and gear 180º in the wrong direction. :dohh:

Don't use the pics in post #35 as a guide. :exit:

Those pics appear the same as the others so are rear windows different in the burbs? I can't imagine not having purchased the assy manuals yet, but I'm not finding it...grrr... Before I took the regulator out of the 3rd door, I held the motor in place and it seemed correct. Got pics?

highwinger 12-02-2018 10:01 AM

You have to reinstall the spring? I don't recall seeing that in the steps. Any tips?