The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Got one. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=604473)

mcmlxix 03-10-2016 01:58 AM

Re: Got one.

here's one idea using the factory bumper from searching google ....

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0039_large.jpg

http://atozfabrication.com/tire-carr...der-s-kit.html

http://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-O...bly_p_109.html

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...5qttdql7aijpb4

eighteenninetytwo 03-23-2016 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting quite excited at this point! Serious bodywork now underway. Overall it was in pretty good condition with minimal apparent rust, but just to illustrate how little corrosion it takes to effect the structure in a full convertable, this location of rust in the footwells on both sides (standard location really in these things it seems), was sufficient that over 40 years, the angle of the windshield had changed slightly and the top was about 1/2" further back / down then it should have been. Support and structure welded in place and its back where it should be on both sides.

eighteenninetytwo 03-23-2016 11:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Further pics here. Maybe getting primered and painted as early as next week.
I have opted to keep the firewall black and paint the interior of the fenders and top of the wheel wells black also so save money as this is defnitely a budget redo.

68Timber 03-24-2016 01:37 PM

Good to see he's back on it. Are you still going with two tone maroon/white?

eighteenninetytwo 03-24-2016 02:02 PM

Going back to the original color - 73 Crimson Red with frost white two tone. It's only when you see real bodywork experts at work that you figure out how many dings and dents a truck picks up in 40 years that you don't really notice on a daily basis.

eighteenninetytwo 04-02-2016 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And last pics from this stage. Up on rear stand because there was a tiny patch of corrosion on the bottom of the panel behind the right rear wheel.

eighteenninetytwo 04-19-2016 01:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Latest update - Primered and sprayed with guide coat to identify blemishes etc.

68Timber 04-21-2016 12:24 PM

I've got rust in the same area of my floor I get to patch. What grille did you end up going with? IIRC you bought a 73-74 grill but didn't have the correct center support at the time.

eighteenninetytwo 04-21-2016 01:42 PM

yes bough an old grille but had two issues. 1. The mounts were different and 2. The hood latch was offcenter so it wouldn't work. I changed out the latch assembly using parts from 'pick n pull', but the mounts I got seemed somewhat shaky and the grille was in good condition but clearly not new.

Since I then decided to actually get the thing repainted and so I've been looking for an as new condition 75/76 grille insert and mount set but cannot find one ANYWHERE :(

Unless I find one the horizontal chrome bars are going back on.

phillipm 04-21-2016 07:42 PM

What are you doing for trim on the sides? Did you find a set or repro?

eighteenninetytwo 04-21-2016 07:49 PM

repro from LMC. All originals have a degree of damage and decay to a certain extent and often more damage happens removing it. I reconditioned (painted badly) a set of the K5 and"blazer" symbols from teh fenders and quarter panels.

eighteenninetytwo 06-06-2016 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last picture before actual paint goes on. primed and undergoing final touching up of a couple of now apparent blemishes - those big flat panels show them up real well.

Also I find that I'm second guessing myself in terms of the colors. The Crimson Red two tone (more orangey really) was original, but as this truck now has changes to the original exterior (gas cap) and interior (everything) should I stick with it or not? The decision needs to be made this week though I think. Any other bright ideas? I really liked the idea of white with a different two tone UT i have a white soft top for it so thats not an option.

68Timber 06-06-2016 03:05 PM

Ochre looks great on a full-vert.

eighteenninetytwo 06-06-2016 05:20 PM

Is that the mustardy color?

68Timber 06-06-2016 06:45 PM

Yessir. You can still do the white in the middle w/that color too.

eighteenninetytwo 08-04-2016 10:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Update. When prepping the windshield frame and dashboard areas, the newer paint was flaking and crappy so it had to be taken back to the original paint or to bare metal in some places. Sorry i cant figure out how to get them the right way up..

eighteenninetytwo 08-05-2016 12:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And further updates - first color going back onto the vehicle on the interior.

68Timber 08-05-2016 03:58 PM

Wow. You are going to have a killer K5 when he gets done. Looking good!

Ski-me 08-09-2016 05:34 PM

I like it man!

eighteenninetytwo 08-16-2016 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next bit of color - interior and windshield frame done - because its a cheapo job we'll be leaving the firewall black rather than stripping everything out.

Ski-me 08-16-2016 02:44 PM

slowly....slowly......

Can't wait for the outside!

eighteenninetytwo 08-16-2016 03:15 PM

It is SOOOOO SLOW...but thats what you get when you have to do it on budget and rely on favors and doing stuff yourself to get it done. I just got a new wiring harness and a new heater unit that will replace the AC / Heater unit that is installed. Anyone have any ideas what I should do with the original harrison AC / heater? Is there a place that reconditions them?

68Timber 08-16-2016 04:29 PM

Looking good. You could probably find a place to rebuild your original compressor but it might be better to put that off until you plan to put it back in service. I've got two of those long compressors sitting around waiting for someday.

eighteenninetytwo 08-23-2016 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compressor / AC / heater removed. Replacing it with a new heater box and removing A/C. Also got a complete new wiring harness to replace the prior spaghetti monster that lived in the engine bay. you can see that we managed to match EXACTLY the color from what is under the old AC unit. Due to time and money / time issues the firewall will go back to satin black though, as opposed to being returned to it's original factory color.

mikentosh 08-23-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo (Post 7692062)
Compressor / AC / heater removed. Replacing it with a new heater box and removing A/C. Also got a complete new wiring harness to replace the prior spaghetti monster that lived in the engine bay. you can see that we managed to match EXACTLY the color from what is under the old AC unit. Due to time and money / time issues the firewall will go back to satin black though, as opposed to being returned to it's original factory color.

Satin black firewalls do look nice though, and looks factory to the "non-enthusiast" 😊