The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   67-72 Suburban OE seats (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=698932)

richard2717 09-19-2019 07:25 PM

Re: 67-72 Suburban OE seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzints7 (Post 8595998)
My apologies if this is covered, I scanned and could not find the answer directly: will a truck bench seat fit work for the front bench in a 1972 suburban? I understand the upholstery will not cover the back, but is the rest the same? Will I need to find suburban brackets and slides or did the truck and suburban use the same? I have swivel bucket seats out of a Monte Carlo and I am thinking of using those as a second or third row and have them turn inwards...but I need to find a bench for the front!

Pretty sure seats & frames are the same. There are 3 different year versions of the floor brackets 67-68 69-70 & 71-72 but I think they all bolt to the floor in the same location. As long as you have a complete seat you should be fine

adzints7 09-19-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8595999)
Pretty sure seats & frames are the same. There are 3 different year versions of the floor brackets 67-68 69-70 & 71-72 but I think they all bolt to the floor in the same location. As long as you have a complete seat you should be fine

That is excellent news, certainly broadens my range of search options!!

67see10 09-22-2019 11:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This 3/4 2nd row seat appears to be a factory seat, but I cant say the same for the mounting brackets...

HO455 10-06-2019 12:14 AM

I have a question maybe one you fine folks can answer for me. Were the seat brackets and bases always painted black or did other colors get used?
Thanks in advance.

richard2717 10-06-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8604670)
I have a question maybe one you fine folks can answer for me. Were the seat brackets and bases always painted black or did other colors get used?
Thanks in advance.

Black is the only color I have seen other than the orange burb I just dismantled and they were chrome but obviously done at a later point in life

HO455 10-06-2019 02:14 PM

Thanks again Richard. Just trying to figure out what color to paint the brackets for my new second row seat.

72-k20-burb 12-08-2019 09:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now that i finally have two short rows and all brackets, I'm trying to put 3 point seat belts in the back two rows. (kids you know?)

I get that the middle straps and lap belts go through to the floor brackets that have a nut welded onto the back (already shown in this thread somewhere). I have those on both of my seats.

However in the back, I attached a photo where the original OUTER lap belt came through ( this was a blazer, not sure if suburban is exactly the same).

I could technically bolt the retractor onto this right? I might need to trim my seat covers to make it fit..

On the seat the is taken apart the threads are pretty large, I can use a large bolt? What have other people done for mounting rear three point belts?

Also - anyone done it on a short row? I feel like the three point would get into the way for anyone trying to get in the back. I might only mount three point on the left side of the back two seats which would look strange but function for all my kids.

HO455 12-08-2019 10:37 PM

Personally I wouldn't attach it to the seat frame that high up. Too much of a chance for things to detach or deform during an accident for my liking.
This link shows how member BeachBurban did his. Scroll down to post 340. I hope this helps

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...680126&page=14

gratefuldog 12-16-2019 09:51 PM

Hi folks-
I am looking to unload a front bench seat from my 1971 GMC Suburban. Free.
To the first person who can pick it up in Sun Valley, CA.

Frame is good, rails are good. Vinyl and foam are less than good. Maybe a broken spring or two.

Free. PM me.

Ok; I'll post a pic if I can figure it out. In the meantime, PM for a pic.

Beach-Burban 12-17-2019 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefuldog (Post 8644076)
Hi folks-
I am looking to unload a front bench seat from my 1971 GMC Suburban. Free.
To the first person who can pick it up in Sun Valley, CA.

Frame is good, rails are good. Vinyl and foam are less than good. Maybe a broken spring or two.

Free. PM me.

Ok; I'll post a pic if I can figure it out. In the meantime, PM for a pic.

PM sent...

Woody

srfinatsunset 12-18-2019 01:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 1968 K10 in decent shape. I have what i believe second and third row seats. Both seats measure 48.5' seat width and 50' with arm rest. From the seating diagram in this discussion i believe those measurement are correct. Can someone confirm that for me. I have both sets of second row brackets and third row brackets. Can someone confirm that too. Orginal seat belt placement, do the seats belts mount to the floor w/ the underside bracket or so they bolt to the seat bracket?

Beach-Burban 12-18-2019 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by srfinatsunset (Post 8645062)
i picked up a 1968 k10 in decent shape. I have what i believe second and third row seats. Both seats measure 48.5' seat width and 50' with arm rest. From the seating diagram in this discussion i believe those measurement are correct. Can someone confirm that for me. I have both sets of second row brackets and third row brackets. Can someone confirm that too. Orginal seat belt placement, do the seats belts mount to the floor w/ the underside bracket or so they bolt to the seat bracket?

Love your "call-sign" srfinatsunset! I have the same set-up as you...your measurements are the same as mine! This picture shows how mine came from the factory...with two outer brackets and one seatbelt half attached to each bracket. The other four seatbelt half's on mine bolt directly through the wood floor into a brace with a factory welded nut...two seatbelt half's to each bolt. Mine also had the rubber end covers in place as shown. I have read that some seats have four brackets across the back side...and then the seatbelts bolt through the bracket, floor and into the welded nut...so I guess it depends on how many brackets yours came with?

Attachment 1966952

You also need four "hold-down" clamps and four bolts for the front tubular brackets...two for each seat...but they mount differently on the rear seat than they do on the center seat! The first "hold-down" picture shows the center seat with the clamps running in a "front to back" direction, where the second picture shows the rear seat clamp running in a "side to side" direction. The holes in your floor should line-up with a factory welded nut under the brace. I hope this helps?

Woody

Attachment 1966964

Attachment 1966965

Bigdav160 12-19-2019 07:37 AM

From the holes in the floor it looks like that '68 originally had just a front and middle seat.

Beach-Burban 12-19-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 8645404)
From the holes in the floor it looks like that '68 originally had just a front and middle seat.

Not positive...but the imprint in floor looks like where the auxiliary gas tank was??? Did they do that with a short seat???...and then use special brackets???

Woody

mrtoni 12-19-2019 01:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Woody I just got the spare tank. Yes it was for the shorter 2nd row. At least mine was. Great member gave it to me. Here’s pics of bracket. I’m not sure if tank required diff seat legs or was just underneath

Beach-Burban 12-19-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtoni (Post 8645562)
Woody I just got the spare tank. Yes it was for the shorter 2nd row. At least mine was. Great member gave it to me. Here’s pics of bracket. I’m not sure if tank required diff seat legs or was just underneath

Thanks mrtoni...I have never seen one out of the vehicle before! Very interesting...so the imprint shown in "srfinatsunset's" picture would be from the tank???...and it sticks out the side of the short seat???

Woody

mrtoni 12-19-2019 05:43 PM

Let me do better pics. I’m not sure I have an easily accessible seat right now but the killer is cutting a hole for the gas fill

srfinatsunset 12-19-2019 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8645608)
Thanks mrtoni...I have never seen one out of the vehicle before! Very interesting...so the imprint shown in "srfinatsunset's" picture would be from the tank???...and it sticks out the side of the short seat???

Woody

Yes I just pulled the second row tank out!! The second row seat matches up to the bolt pattern on the fuel tank.

Beach-Burban 12-19-2019 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by srfinatsunset (Post 8645674)
Yes I just pulled the second row tank out!! The second row seat matches up to the bolt pattern on the fuel tank.

So...I'm guessing that the front tubular brackets are taken off of the seat, then those holes line-up with the rectangular mounts on the tank? A lot of the tank extends past the end of the short seat! Thanks for the additional picture...it really helps understand what was going on there...I rotated these two for you!

Woody

Attachment 1967163

Attachment 1967164

srfinatsunset 12-19-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8645700)
So...I'm guessing that the front tubular brackets are taken off of the seat, then those holes line-up with the rectangular mounts on the tank? A lot of the tank extends past the end of the short seat! Thanks for the additional picture...it really helps understand what was going on there...I rotated these two for you!

Woody

Attachment 1967163

Attachment 1967164

Thanks!! I don’t understand why it foes that.

The seat does not sit off to the drivers side. It sits in the middle over the tank. Just take off the front tubular brackets and the tank bolts right up to the seat.

Beach-Burban 12-20-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srfinatsunset (Post 8645713)
Thanks!! I don’t understand why it foes that.

The seat does not sit off to the drivers side. It sits in the middle over the tank. Just take off the front tubular brackets and the tank bolts right up to the seat.

Oh...is your plan to slide it over towards the drivers side...or keep it centered??? A little extra work to find or make new mounting locations, but probably worth it for access to the rear seat?

No problem rotating the photos...I had the same issue at first, then a member here helped me out! It seems that this is an inherent problem with pictures taken on an IPhone...and the trick is to copy the picture into a different album or file, then use that one for posting! A couple extra steps...but it worked! I hope it works for you, too!

Woody

srfinatsunset 12-20-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8645969)
Oh...is your plan to slide it over towards the drivers side...or keep it centered??? A little extra work to find or make new mounting locations, but probably worth it for access to the rear seat?

No problem rotating the photos...I had the same issue at first, then a member here helped me out! It seems that this is an inherent problem with pictures taken on an IPhone...and the trick is to copy the picture into a different album or file, then use that one for posting! A couple extra steps...but it worked! I hope it works for you, too!

Woody

I don’t plan on keep the auxiliary tank. It’s cool but not worth it if something bad happens in an accident.

70sarver 06-29-2020 09:11 PM

Question on front row seats. Are front bench seats from 67-72 Suburban interchangeable with front bench from 67-72 trucks?

HO455 06-29-2020 10:08 PM

I had thought so myself but the general consensus is yes they are the same. But there are differences over the years involving seat mounts and seat backs. There is more information in the link.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=804108

vectorit 06-30-2020 05:40 PM

Yes, but the back of PU seats are not covered.
The tracks are different, but they will bolt in fine.