The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 SWB Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737560)

1971Stepside 12-07-2018 12:38 PM

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Quote:

This beaut showed up yesterday. This thing is a work of art! I can't wait to installed it. Between the Boyd tank and this, I don't know which I like better. They are both works of art.
Dang! That is eye candy. I am hoping to pull the trigger on mine right after Christmas. I just can't decide between the R n D and Entropy. The Entropy is more expensive for sure. Did you look at the R n D? Let me know what hoses you end up running.

beaterku 12-07-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8400695)
Dang! That is eye candy. I am hoping to pull the trigger on mine right after Christmas. I just can't decide between the R n D and Entropy. The Entropy is more expensive for sure. Did you look at the R n D? Let me know what hoses you end up running.

To be honest, they both seem like great radiators. The lifetime warranty and amazing customer service at Pro Performance tipped the scale for me. I'm going to get some new radiator rubber mounts at lunch from the dreaded LMC so I can get it mounted this weekend.

beaterku 12-07-2018 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't wait and had to slip the radiator in. Man it looks good in there. One thing of note, and I am sure I'm not the first to notice this, the top inlet of the radiator is lower than the fitting on the top of the water pump. I assume this doesn't matter. My thought are the hump in the hose is now going to be the highest point in the system. It may make purging the air a little tough. We shall see.

FYI, anyone local looking to buy odds and ends from LMC, they gave me a 30% off coupon when I was paying today. I spent a whopping $6 on new rubber isolator bushing for the lower radiator.

1971Stepside 12-07-2018 06:35 PM

I'll be in KC in March for a concert. I plan on going by LMC at that time to pick up some items. Radiator looks great. My research shows you need a Gates 21439 upper hose and a Gates 20687 lower hose. Let me know on the ones you use. I'm glad you are figuring all this out ahead of me LOL

beaterku 12-08-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8400938)
I'll be in KC in March for a concert. I plan on going by LMC at that time to pick up some items. Radiator looks great. My research shows you need a Gates 21439 upper hose and a Gates 20687 lower hose. Let me know on the ones you use. I'm glad you are figuring all this out ahead of me LOL

Let me know when you are in town. I am about 10 mins from LMC. Truck should be up and running by then.

I haven't looked in to the hoses yet. I'll check those out. Thanks!

beaterku 12-10-2018 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started working on the wiring harness layout. It looks like the PSI harness is the perfect length to mount the ECU under the seat. My plan is to mount the ECM and fuse/relay panel on the passenger side. The Dakota BIM and gauge modules on the drivers side. I'd like to mount the TAC module under the seat as well. but I would have to lengthen the the harness between the TAC and pedal about a foot. The harness from the ECM is long enough to reach under the dash, so I could mount it under there. I'll just see what is the best route to take.

Fun fact, when you select NO to "OIL PRESSURE WIRING (98-02 F-BODY GAUGES ONLY)" when ordering a PSI harness, they remove the oil pressure wiring completely from the harness. Luckily, the Dakota gauges come with a sender and harness to display oil pressure. Had I known this, I would have said yes to make the wiring a little easier.

ls1nova71 12-11-2018 11:45 AM

Nice looking truck, hope to see it around next summer. As for the oil pressure wiring, almost no aftermarket wiring harness companies include that wire since its not needed for the engine to run, and it would only be a single tan wire that wouldn't have the correct end for your aftermarket gauges anyway. Also, don't be afraid to lengthen the TAC to pedal wires, it wont be an issue as long as your connections are good.

beaterku 12-11-2018 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 8403401)
Nice looking truck, hope to see it around next summer. As for the oil pressure wiring, almost no aftermarket wiring harness companies include that wire since its not needed for the engine to run, and it would only be a single tan wire that wouldn't have the correct end for your aftermarket gauges anyway. Also, don't be afraid to lengthen the TAC to pedal wires, it wont be an issue as long as your connections are good.

Good to know. I was able to get the wiring harness through the hump yesterday. The harness length is about perfect.

I’m still not sure about the TAC module. It will fit under the dash no problem. I can make a plate to mount it and the Dakota modules behind the gauges. I’m still not sure what to do. Going to work on it some more today to figure it out.

1971Stepside 12-17-2018 11:37 AM

How is the harness coming along? Ordered mine this morning...any lessons learned?

beaterku 12-17-2018 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's been slow going. Getting ready for #3 to arrive, so I haven't been able to spend a whole lot of time on it. So far, everything with the PSI harness has been great. My only gripes are nit picky type things. The corrugated loom is a pain in the rump to manipulate sometimes. Not enough to justify spending the extra $125 they want for the braided loom, but enough to make me cuss a little.

I spent a few hours this weekend and tapped in to power and signal wires for everything on the ECM and Dakota module. I also lengthened my TAC harness 2 feet to allow placement under the seat. I'm going work on it this afternoon and try to wrap up the wiring so I can move on to the fuel system and buttoning up loose ends.

jaros44sr 12-18-2018 10:15 AM

Wire care makes a split wrap F6, using it on my harness to get rid of the corragated wrap from FAST

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4804/...147d1dc4_c.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dcvTEa]20181127_104252

beaterku 12-18-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8407766)
Wire care makes a split wrap F6, using it on my harness to get rid of the corragated wrap from FAST

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4804/...147d1dc4_c.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dcvTEa]20181127_104252

Thanks, I'll check it out!

knomadd 12-18-2018 05:24 PM

I've been using a product made by Techflex called "Flexo F6" for years. It's very similar to what Jim uses, and I get it off Amazon. Pretty cheap compared to the name brand stuff and works really well. They also have other model products that come in different colors, or true sleeves if you don't want a split loom. Can't hurt to have a few options to choose from if you want the braided wrap stuff.

beaterku 12-19-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8408062)
I've been using a product made by Techflex called "Flexo F6" for years. It's very similar to what Jim uses, and I get it off Amazon. Pretty cheap compared to the name brand stuff and works really well. They also have other model products that come in different colors, or true sleeves if you don't want a split loom. Can't hurt to have a few options to choose from if you want the braided wrap stuff.

Thank you!

beaterku 12-27-2018 11:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I took a little much needed time away from the truck. Also came down with a sinus infection. Yah me.

So I've been spending a little time working on the mechanical side of things. The wiring was starting to become all consuming so I deiced to take a break from it. Although I did create a schematic of what is left to be done. A buddy of mine owns a shop that specializes in wiring, so I sent it over to him for a quote. He's booked into March, so I will see how that works out.

The PSI harness is installed on the engine. I ended up with a set of Taylor plug wires to clear the headers. Fuel line adapters are installed. I ordered a set of Gates rad hoses that everyone is using. Top hose is a perfect fit. The bottom hose will work with some trimming.

So at this point, I am going to start checking all of the small things off the list and leave the wiring for last.

MDPotter 12-27-2018 03:59 PM

Are you installing the park safety switch on the transmission? I'm in the middle of reworking my LQ9 harness and trying to figure out whether to keep the switch or not. I have a large grey 12-pin connector in my harness that connects to the transmission-mounted switch. I'm guessing you have a single wire from your PSI harness that connects to the brake switch.

beaterku 12-27-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8414222)
Are you installing the park safety switch on the transmission? I'm in the middle of reworking my LQ9 harness and trying to figure out whether to keep the switch or not. I have a large grey 12-pin connector in my harness that connects to the transmission-mounted switch. I'm guessing you have a single wire from your PSI harness that connects to the brake switch.

The PSI harness didn't have provisions for the range or neutral switch on the trans. I am using the stock column mounted safety switch. My truck is still wired stock for the ignition switch. So the purple wire goes from the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch and then to the starter.

I did get a new brake switch that supplies the ecm 12v when the brakes are applied and 12v when the brakes are not applied for the TCC circuit.

MDPotter 12-27-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaterku (Post 8414230)
The PSI harness didn't have provisions for the range or neutral switch on the trans. I am using the stock column mounted safety switch. My truck is still wired stock for the ignition switch. So the purple wire goes from the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch and then to the starter.

I did get a new brake switch that supplies the ecm 12v when the brakes are applied and 12v when the brakes are not applied for the TCC circuit.

Thanks for the info, your truck looks great.

Looks like you used mild steel brake lines? I just put stainless lines on my dad's 66 and it's been a little difficult because the stainless is so hard and it doesn't like to seal without a great deal of tightening.

What engine mounts did you use? Looks like you kept the stock perches but maybe used some kind of adapter plates?

beaterku 12-27-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8414262)
Thanks for the info, your truck looks great.

Looks like you used mild steel brake lines? I just put stainless lines on my dad's 66 and it's been a little difficult because the stainless is so hard and it doesn't like to seal without a great deal of tightening.

What engine mounts did you use? Looks like you kept the stock perches but maybe used some kind of adapter plates?

thank you!

I used the stainless steel lines from Inline Tube. If I had to do it again, I would have used the steel lines. I had to make custom lines for my rear axle and I couldn't get the 3/16" stainless to consistently flare. That's good to know it takes some tightening to seal.

I used the stock small block pedestals with energy suspension poly mounts. I just used some cheap adapter plates I bought on amazon. They are 3/8" thick.

beaterku 12-27-2018 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went into the shop and cut down the lower hose and it fits perfect. I had to flip it around to make it work. The direction I thought it would fit was actually backwards.

1971Stepside 12-28-2018 10:02 AM

Hoses look good. Did you go with an overflow tank for your radiator?

beaterku 12-28-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8414621)
Hoses look good. Did you go with an overflow tank for your radiator?

Yeah, I am going to. I have a Dorman universal tank kicking around the garage, but I may look in to other options. I haven't really looked in to it much.

beaterku 01-07-2019 10:57 AM

Sorry, I haven't updated in a while. We are expecting a baby tomorrow. I've been scrambling trying to get everything in order for that. I have been able to work on the truck hear and there. I decided to back burner the wiring until the end. It was consuming too much time that I needed to be spending on mechanical items. Just about everything is buttoned up on the engine. I broke out the cherry picked to center and align the engine and trans. It is all torqued down now. Once I get it on the lift, I am going to check the driveshaft angles and make adjustments as needed.

I also did some measuring on the brake booster pushrod length. The Tuffstuff booster comes with a short and a long pushrod. Initially, I was going to use the short in conjunction with the Wilwood bullet. But after measuring, I found that the short pushrod/bullet combo was actually .046" too long. The long pushrod measured in at .065" short. After talking to Wilwood, the recommend .062" play so the long pushrod is the way to go. I talk a little about it in the video below.

I am officially at a standstill for a few weeks. I've got to help my oldest with his pinewood derby car. His race is on the 26th so we've got to get cooking on that.

1971Stepside 01-07-2019 11:26 AM

Congrats on the baby! Don't build a pinewood derby truck...they look cool, but go too slow....ask me how I know.

beaterku 01-07-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8438398)
Congrats on the baby! Don't build a pinewood derby truck...they look cool, but go too slow....ask me how I know.

Funny you mention that, my son wants a truck lol

knomadd 01-07-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaterku (Post 8438399)
Funny you mention that, my son wants a truck lol

Suggest to him that you make it a "daytona" truck, wedge the front like a door stop, it could look truck-like but it will be faster than a square front. Or, just give him what he wants and let him learn about aerodynamics.

Congratulations on the baby!

beaterku 01-07-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8438415)
Suggest to him that you make it a "daytona" truck, wedge the front like a door stop, it could look truck-like but it will be faster than a square front. Or, just give him what he wants and let him learn about aerodynamics.

Congratulations on the baby!

Thanks! I think a slant nose truck would be decent. I can add the weight to the "bed" which is ideal anyway. We shall see. I think I may be more excited than he is.

1971Stepside 01-20-2019 11:10 AM

Did you have the baby? Hope all is well

beaterku 01-20-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8446888)
Did you have the baby? Hope all is well

We did! Little baby girl is perfect! We are getting back in to a groove now. I spent about 5 hours out in the shop today. Heading back to work tomorrow.

1971Stepside 01-20-2019 11:56 PM

Congrats! Hope you get some sleep

beaterku 01-21-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8447436)
Congrats! Hope you get some sleep

Thank you! She is actually sleeping quite well. My boys are adjusting well too. So far so good (knock on wood)

beaterku 01-25-2019 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve been slowly working on odds and ends on the truck. Going to work on some wiring tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the big day for my oldest. This is the truck he built. I helped him with some of the prep work on the paint and locating the weight. He did the rest. We shall see how it does in the morning.

cornerstone 01-25-2019 11:01 PM

Boy that brings back good memories. Post up the results and some more pictures if you don't mind...;)
Brian

beaterku 01-26-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8451124)
Boy that brings back good memories. Post up the results and some more pictures if you don't mind...;)
Brian

Thanks. We came in 3rd place. Not too shabby for s blocky truck.

1971Stepside 01-27-2019 11:55 AM

I just feel like it should have been painted red and white! LOL. 3rd isn’t bad at all for a truck.

beaterku 01-27-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8452132)
I just feel like it should have been painted red and white! LOL. 3rd isn’t bad at all for a truck.

He originally wanted red and white but changed it to white. I was surprised it do so well. I posited the axles and did the 3 wheel setup. Worked out well.

bmxbang 01-30-2019 11:43 AM

Amazingly clean truck man! Glad to see the progress, I actually remember seeing you post this thing on KCSR when you got it!

beaterku 01-30-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxbang (Post 8454631)
Amazingly clean truck man! Glad to see the progress, I actually remember seeing you post this thing on KCSR when you got it!

Thanks. It's changed a bit since then.

beaterku 02-03-2019 09:33 PM

I'm falling behind in here. I've been working on the truck as much as I can. I am finally making progress. The last year or work is finally starting to pay off.

The motor is all but buttoned up. Fuel tank is mounted. Final wiring has been sorted and started. The big items are the fuel lines, transmission lines, and finishing up the wiring. I am going to tackle the wiring first to get it done. I have a plan and all of the parts in hand or on order. I am going to use relays and parts that I mostly had on hand to get it running. Then down the road, re-do it with the nice Bussmann relay center.

Here are the latest videos on the build. Thanks everyone!

beaterku 02-11-2019 12:19 PM

Spent some time this weekend sorting the wiring out on the interior. The LS harness is not integrated with the truck and Dakota module and every which way in between. It took a few hours, but it is almost complete. I ran in to a little bit of a snag with the PSI harness and poor crimps. The trigger wire leading from their fuseblock broke free. After some investigating, half of the crimps inside the fuse/relay assembly are no bueno. I am going to de-pin it and fix them all. I think I am also going to bypass the fuel pump relay in the PSI harness and use my own in the engine bay. The terminals they send with the kit are not large enough for the 10ga wire I am using. I did find the appropriate terminals online, but I think I may use one of my heavy duty relays that I am using for the fans and headlights. Keep the high load relays together. Still not 100% yet thought.

Sometimes, I think my anal retentiveness gets the best of me. I can't leave well enough alone.

Here is a little video of this weekends progress.