The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

markeb01 10-02-2013 02:01 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Love the video! Really amazing to see how much has been done when you compare the before and now changes. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see this baby running!

McMurphy 10-02-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6295928)
Fantastic! From where you started to where you are, you have absolutely every reason to be proud! Especially considering your location and the climate you have to deal with. I wish I had thought to do a walk around set of pics so I could have a before and after comparison. Again Great job, both on the truck and the pics. dtw out of all the pics you've ever posted, the one where your wife is out there in the blistering cold junkyard in 100 feet of snow trying to take out the bronco seat...She's a keeper! Kudo's to you my friend on all points. I think we need to see some whole truck walk around shots :metal: :metal:

Thanks, I wish I had taken many many more initial photos.
Particularly in the tear down phase as I now find myself looking to other people's builds to see how some of this stuff goes back together !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6296103)
Looks great, slowly buy surely getting there

Yeah....like we are fond of saying around this site, a little progress is still progress !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6296203)
Good job McMurphy....your getting closer with ever job done.

One day, one task at a time brother !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6296215)
What a great reflection! You have done a ton of work Murph. I did like the "Remove the heater cord" note on the old cluster tho. My son has a similar note about headlights on his truck :lol: What's on the adgenda? When we gonna go for a drive?

That old raised letter lableing tape was a serious throw back to the 70s-80s eh? It was there from when the truck was a service vehicle for the Air Force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6296271)
Amazing transformation Murph!:metal:
My 2 year mark will be April 2014... No where near the progress you've made... :waah:
Congrats!!! ;)
..and the Joe Satriani piece...:metal::metal::metal:

Glad you like the song !
I thought "Circles" would be pretty appropriate for the subject matter of going full circle on some of the stuff I showed you all.
I always considered Joe Satriani one of the greatest guitar men of our age, there are few others of his calibur IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6296363)
Love the video! Really amazing to see how much has been done when you compare the before and now changes. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see this baby running!

Thanks Mark !
One thing I have learned on this build is to pick a task or section of the truck and focus on that (and only that) until it is completed. Also to tackle these tasks and areas in a logical order. Doing things too early on (like my hood) was not necessiarily a waste of time, but as the days marched on, it was a waste of space. I did some stuff, then had to set it aside as I did other things that should have been higher on the to-do list.
The next time I do one of these it will be from the frame up in keeping with a more traditional approach to it all.
I guess I should clear off the back of the truck and take it outside for a trip around the block, and shoot some serious walk around video and photos (something that is near impossible to do in my small garage space)

Thanks again for looking guys !!
This thing (the truck and the thread) continues to be great fun for me and you all are a large part of that equation !!

pdxhall 10-02-2013 04:57 PM

Great job, man! You've made a ton of progress and I'm looking forward to seeing more.:thumbs:

Modges'66 10-02-2013 06:56 PM

WOW, Murph!
Some super-major improvements!!!
Quite an accomplishment!
Keep it up buddy, it looks great!

rmvlt1100 10-02-2013 08:43 PM

Sgt. I was just catching up on your build and I must say its looking great. I like the way you did the video of the progress. That was the first time I seen your seat, It looks very nice. Keep up the great work. Will be watching. :chevy:

Bomp 10-02-2013 10:35 PM

Nice video documentation of the progress.

Keep on it hard core. Gotta see it next summer at Good Guys!

Low Elco 10-03-2013 08:14 AM

Loved the Vid! Drivin' by spring?

piratexpress1369a 10-03-2013 11:45 AM

great vid as always ..hey do you have a really good shot of your floor mat ..its cool

Grizz1963 10-03-2013 02:06 PM

Thanks for the video.

Great result and progress.

Jmorales3181 10-03-2013 09:20 PM

Nice video man!:metal: so I was reading your updates and was thinking my one year of my build should be coming up and sure enough I met up with the 18 wheeler to load up my truck on the flatbed a year ago today...:like you said time flies!!! Keep up the great work

BOXER957 10-04-2013 05:42 AM

Great video! I have to ask you now, when standing back and looking at what you've accomplished, did you ever think it would A: get that involved B: that YOU would have the skills to do such a fine job? Like I said before, it's really neat to read a build from beginning to end and watch how much confidence people gain as they learn and progress. That and the friends made while on the journey. Fantastic job I'm sure a lot of us will be stealing a mod or two off your build :rolleyes: Keep up the good work, you'll get there :metal:

McMurphy 10-04-2013 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6296621)
Great job, man! You've made a ton of progress and I'm looking forward to seeing more.:thumbs:

Well I am dead in the middle of my headlights project at this time, I wont start posting photos of that until I am closer to finishing it.
I sure do appreciate your taking a look at it! I should be in your neighborhood next summer with it behind the Tow Truck. Would sure enjoy a chance to share a pot of coffee and compare build notes with you Oregon guys !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6296800)
WOW, Murph!
Some super-major improvements!!!
Quite an accomplishment!
Keep it up buddy, it looks great!

It has certainly been a journey, thanks for the comment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmvlt1100 (Post 6297003)
Sgt. I was just catching up on your build and I must say its looking great. I like the way you did the video of the progress. That was the first time I seen your seat, It looks very nice. Keep up the great work. Will be watching. :chevy:

Thanks for taking a look, I bet you really enjoy the time you get to spend on yours too !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6297228)
Nice video documentation of the progress.
Keep on it hard core. Gotta see it next summer at Good Guys!

The way things are going, you may see me at your front door some time in June-July....
You know, if you are not too busy for a visit.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6297561)
Loved the Vid! Drivin' by spring?

I could probably drive it now....new finish by date is set for St Pattys, Easter by the latest so I have time to get the Tow Truck prepped for the road trip home. Though I am contemplating waiting on a new front glass until I get it home since 1) I wont be driving it home / and 2) it will be A LOT cheaper to get it, and install it down there.
I am glad you like the vid man, I know you been keeping an eye on me for most of this build, I appreciate it !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 6297737)
great vid as always ..hey do you have a really good shot of your floor mat ..its cool

I got the floor mat from the junk yard...I am abashed to admit I am a bit of a junk yard scrounger...
But nonetheless, here you go:
Attachment 1158956

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6297892)
Thanks for the video.
Great result and progress.

Thanks Mate !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6298448)
Nice video man!:metal: so I was reading your updates and was thinking my one year of my build should be coming up and sure enough I met up with the 18 wheeler to load up my truck on the flatbed a year ago today...:like you said time flies!!! Keep up the great work

It goes faster than you think it should sometimes !!
You should do a before and after retrospect on yours as well.
I know for me it really gives me a shot of motivation to see what I started with and compare it to what is down in the garage right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6298839)
Great video! I have to ask you now, when standing back and looking at what you've accomplished, did you ever think it would A: get that involved B: that YOU would have the skills to do such a fine job? Like I said before, it's really neat to read a build from beginning to end and watch how much confidence people gain as they learn and progress. That and the friends made while on the journey. Fantastic job I'm sure a lot of us will be stealing a mod or two off your build :rolleyes: Keep up the good work, you'll get there :metal:

A: No, it was really only supposed to be an engine swap and tranny add and some rattle can paint.
Frankly the only reason it went this far is because (literally) it was so easy to disassemble. The wife and I got going on it and we just tore it down so quick and easy (down to cab and frame in the first week) that it naturally evolved into a process of cleaning and painting all the parts....which then lent into making mods and "improvements".....which has of course become what it is today.

B: No.
Not in a million years would I think I would willingly tackle such a project and learn so much on my own.

And I think you are using the word and term "skills" a tad liberally in this case sir !!

Low Elco 10-05-2013 01:44 PM

Nope... Skills is a fine term. I enjoy these threads where you see the progression of a person and their skills and their life. It's about more than a truck, these things become a part of you for a reason. It's what's gotten Losh and Cloud 9 and Square Peg where they are. Please continue, Staff Sgt. The end of the @#%## frozen tunnel is in sight!

FetchMeAPepsi 10-05-2013 07:51 PM

Great job McMurphy! First question, how did I miss this build? Subscribed!
Second question, where'd you find a wife that loves the junkyard? Mine allows me "play time" and I thought that was lucky enough...now I'm re-thinking my measure :lol:

Seriously though that's a very fine looking truck. I'm doing herculiner on Cecilia on the entire underside and the floor too (just did the hump this week). that stuff is amazing.

Just don't get it in your whiskers :D

jlsanborn 10-05-2013 08:36 PM

Mad skills man and these ones come from experience, not book readin or tellin. Wait until you tear into the tow truck, you're gonna whip that thing into shape quick like! At some point in my automotive life I kinda decided that there ain't nothing I can't figure out. What I learned is that most of this stuff is easier than you'd think and it don't take a whole lotta tools to do it. The things you screw up are the things you learn good when you re-do it. Rock on Murph!
:metal:

BOXER957 10-05-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6300554)
Nope... Skills is a fine term. I enjoy these threads where you see the progression of a person and their skills and their life. It's about more than a truck, these things become a part of you for a reason. It's what's gotten Losh and Cloud 9 and Square Peg where they are. Please continue, Staff Sgt. The end of the @#%## frozen tunnel is in sight!

Thank you Elco for seconding me on that term! Quality work takes skill, anybody with $30. can smear bondo.:smoke:

piratexpress1369a 10-05-2013 11:54 PM

thanks for the pic ..that is a cool find

McMurphy 10-06-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6300554)

You are too kind sir, but thanks ! Yeah, life is a growth process, or at least it should be. If not, then what is the point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 6300932)
Great job McMurphy! First question, how did I miss this build? Subscribed!
Second question, where'd you find a wife that loves the junkyard? Mine allows me "play time" and I thought that was lucky enough...now I'm re-thinking my measure :lol:
Seriously though that's a very fine looking truck. I'm doing herculiner on Cecilia on the entire underside and the floor too (just did the hump this week). that stuff is amazing.
Just don't get it in your whiskers :D

Heh...I may have some pretty unconventional views on answering the wife question so stick with me here:
I have found that for real happiness it is better when dealing with other living creatures to take a patient, and acceptant stance. When I retire I am going to get a dog. I am going to sit with the litter and whichever of the puppies crawls into my lap and falls asleep is the one going home with me. My wife did a very similar thing with her cats. Quite literally the same thing happened with she and I... During my break in Military Service, I had ended my second marriage, and had sworn off the marital instuition when one day at work a repeat customer walked up and handed me her phone number.

So sadly I cannot claim any conscious responsiblity for the relationship bliss I now enjoy (we will be married 16 years this Christmas).
I tell my young troopers all the time, "Don't be in a hurry to get married. It is better to be lonely for a while, than make a horrible mistake. It is ok to work a little to make a marriage work, but you shouldn't have to work like an Egyptian slave for it."

Good luck with the Herculiner, I really found an appreciation for that stuff on this build. I only have the undersides of my rear fenders that I still want to do with it.

About time for an update on your truck, isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6301014)
Mad skills man and these ones come from experience, not book readin or tellin. Wait until you tear into the tow truck, you're gonna whip that thing into shape quick like! At some point in my automotive life I kinda decided that there ain't nothing I can't figure out. What I learned is that most of this stuff is easier than you'd think and it don't take a whole lotta tools to do it. The things you screw up are the things you learn good when you re-do it. Rock on Murph!
:metal:

Dude....with attitude like that, we are going to be great neighbors!!
Too many instances on this build I have looked at something and decided that no matter what, I can make that work !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6301143)
Thank you Elco for seconding me on that term! Quality work takes skill, anybody with $30. can smear bondo.:smoke:

Well if the output of my current project is any indication, you guys may be right..... I just might have found some passable skills in this mess of a build!
Time will tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 6301289)
thanks for the pic ..that is a cool find

Yeah I got 3 of them that day, and two of the Jack ones from Nightmare Before Chrismas. Right now they are in the truck strictly for dust and dirt control along with a fitted sheet across the seat. My garage here is unnaturally filthy !!

FetchMeAPepsi 10-06-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6302067)
Heh...I may have some pretty unconventional views on answering the wife question so stick with me here:
I have found that for real happiness it is better when dealing with other living creatures to take a patient, and acceptant stance. When I retire I am going to get a dog. I am going to sit with the litter and whichever of the puppies crawls into my lap and falls asleep is the one going home with me. My wife did a very similar thing with her cats. Quite literally the same thing happened with she and I... During my break in Military Service, I had ended my second marriage, and had sworn off the marital instuition when one day at work a repeat customer walked up and handed me her phone number.

So sadly I cannot claim any conscious responsiblity for the relationship bliss I now enjoy (we will be married 16 years this Christmas).
I tell my young troopers all the time, "Don't be in a hurry to get married. It is better to be lonely for a while, than make a horrible mistake. It is ok to work a little to make a marriage work, but you shouldn't have to work like an Egyptian slave for it."

Good luck with the Herculiner, I really found an appreciation for that stuff on this build. I only have the undersides of my rear fenders that I still want to do with it.

About time for an update on your truck, isn't it?

Love the wife story! Mine chased me too till I caught her. I was clueless. :uhmk:

My build became a repair story a few weeks ago. I just finished rebuilding the SM 318. It's smooooooothhhh now. :metal:

Now I'm rebuilding the Rockwell T221 and the Dana 44.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47321

I can't wait to see your wheelwells. I'm wondering how well it'll hold up on the road. I've seen Jeeps that were herculiner'ed all over and they seemed to like them.

chevy_man5 10-07-2013 09:56 AM

Hey McMurphy, being in the medical field, isn't a repeat customer a bad thing? LOL Glad it is working though!!

Truck is looking awesome by the way!! Keep up the good work!!

ddubbs 10-09-2013 04:59 AM

Glad to see your plugging away. It's been awhile and I thought you had already left. After I get off this 7 day a week schedule I will have to catch up to you. Lol

clemdaddy 10-10-2013 10:27 PM

you're cool dude. loved the video.

McMurphy 10-12-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 6302621)
Love the wife story! Mine chased me too till I caught her. I was clueless. :uhmk:
My build became a repair story a few weeks ago. I just finished rebuilding the SM 318. It's smooooooothhhh now. :metal:
Now I'm rebuilding the Rockwell T221 and the Dana 44.
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47321
I can't wait to see your wheelwells. I'm wondering how well it'll hold up on the road. I've seen Jeeps that were herculiner'ed all over and they seemed to like them.

I look forward to seeing some photos in an update from you....always enjoyed your working kid krew !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 6303366)
Hey McMurphy, being in the medical field, isn't a repeat customer a bad thing? LOL Glad it is working though!!
Truck is looking awesome by the way!! Keep up the good work!!

In the medical field yeah, repeat customers are not a good thing !!
At the time we met however, I was out of the Army (7 year break in service) and was working food service down town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddubbs (Post 6306485)
Glad to see your plugging away. It's been awhile and I thought you had already left. After I get off this 7 day a week schedule I will have to catch up to you. Lol

How totally odd !!
I have been thinking of you a lot lately!!
Dude I would not bug out of town without letting you know, You are still getting this 85 Sierra shell when I know for sure I am done with it !!
(if you still want it...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6309256)
you're cool dude. loved the video.

I am not that cool man...but thanks for saying so. LOL
I really like how Tilly is coming along, though your taking on more and more projects it seems.
Good for business, so rock on !!

Bean Counter 10-13-2013 07:48 AM

What an incredible build! You are quite humble regarding your talents, skills, originality and perseverance! Really appreciate the pics and videos. They give posers like me both inspiration and, best of all, cool ideas to shamelessly steal and subvert! Thanks for sharing and GOD BLESS YOU for your service to our country!:flagw::flagw:

bj383ss 10-22-2013 09:00 AM

McMurphy,

Fantastic build. I had to laugh when I saw post #1217. The label on the gauge cluster. Mine had some reminder labels as well with the same old school label maker. Mine says "check oil and water". And then another at the bottom that says "only use first gear for extreme loads"

Bret