The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

pulltilbroke 03-30-2011 12:46 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

2 Attachment(s)
Pulled the old 15" slots off and put the old 16.5 slots on.

60ratrod 03-30-2011 12:47 AM

Where did you get the dash pillar stich?
Posted via Mobile Device

6772owner 03-30-2011 10:26 AM

Eagleuh1: Sorry to hear, but glad you, truck and motorcycle made it out ok. I hate hearing things like this...

I ordered Autometer water temp/trans temp gauges and new front brake lines for the 72' also might order a new trans crossmember today, need to get this thing squared away for summer cruisin'

PatrickGMC70 03-30-2011 09:03 PM

Damn Eagle, that really sucks. I'm glad you're okay.

Newtz67 03-30-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickgmc70 (Post 4589625)
damn eagle, that really sucks. I'm glad you're okay.

x2!

BadaSs_Cal 03-30-2011 11:13 PM

Got the driver side bed panel just about stripped to metal... It takes awhile to get a gallon of bondo off an area that is only in a 1 sqaure foot area...lol (heat gun is the key btw) Has anyone elses truck been shot at with what seems to be 20 guage bird ****??? o well..

bollybib 03-30-2011 11:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
in the morning i removed the front wheels, hubs, and drums. then i removed the old seals and bearings. then i cleaned the bearings. after lunch i took the bearings to be packed. when i came home i cleaned the wheel hubs. then i pressed a seal in too hard and crushed it so i quit for the day.

The Next Day 3/31/11: the seal isn't designed to sit flush with the hub once its in, about half of its width protrudes above the hub. that's what led me astray yesterday. so today i bought another seal and put it in no problemo. put the hubs and drums back on so i'm done with packing front bearings. if my truck has feelings it should feel ecstatic about its front wheels. nothing left to do there - its got all new brake shoes, drums, cylinders, hoses, and freshly cleaned and packed bearings. when i started this little project, the front brakes had no stopping power whatsoever. they were an abused, neglected mess.

i also put in a new ignition cylinder that uses the same key as the door locks.

my camera acted up (aka "operator problems") so no pics to bore you with.

i decided to edit my post of yesterday. the thread won't go ttt on edits i've noticed.

i may start a project thread of my own so i can keep a record of what i do to my truck.

Jeffs70 03-31-2011 08:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got visited by the brown box guy, I finely took the plunge and found some 3/4 Length headers, I will be putting my own finish on these headers since I have done it in the past and they hold up great the way I have done it.

These style headers are for an SBC 88-95 and I did some reading on them fitting for our trucks and the frame has to be notched a slight bit, that was not a big deal for me really it only took about 20 minutes to complete. I am very pleased with the quality of these headers and the low price.

Attachment 722964
Attachment 722965
Attachment 722966

Header is slightly touching the Frame here before Notching the frame a bit
Attachment 722967

After Notching my frame.
Attachment 722968

70short 04-01-2011 10:14 AM

Where did you get them headers? How much were they? Looks great!

Garthc20 04-01-2011 10:36 AM

I installed new plug wires a new fuel filter and replaced me ebrake cable
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeffs70 04-01-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70short (Post 4593073)
Where did you get them headers? How much were they? Looks great!

Thanks 70short, I got them off (Ebay) I know some wouldnt agree with Ebay Purchases for headers but I asked several questions to the seller before feeling comfortable purchasing them. Sent this guy quit a few Emails asking questions about his headers before purchasing and he was instantly responding each time. These Headers have 3" collector, 1 5/8" primaries and 3/8" Flanges. They are very nice for the price I paid.

Here is also a Link for you all that are interested http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2288wt_918
Item number: 190509493576 Incase the link doesnt work

68 TT 04-01-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffs70 (Post 4591872)
I got visited by the brown box guy, I finely took the plunge and found some 3/4 Length headers, I will be putting my own finish on these headers since I have done it in the past and they hold up great the way I have done it.

So what is your trick to getting a finish on them that will hold up? I've never had anything work for long.

blazerboy_4life 04-01-2011 12:54 PM

I ordered the 2" lowering springs for the rear that will give me that nice level look im going for.

Stocker 04-01-2011 12:56 PM

Finally got rid of the cheap coil overloads, re-installed the bump stops, and installed Hellwig overloads on my K20. :)

Removed:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SL._AA160_.jpg

Installed:
http://www.rjroffroad.com/images/P/2505-350.jpg

magwakeenercew2jh 04-01-2011 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4593275)
So what is your trick to getting a finish on them that will hold up? I've never had anything work for long.

Really good question.

I had a two sets ceramic coated. Sort of a shiny aluminum floating in ceramic bake-on product. You all know what that is.
The first set worked for as long as I had that truck. But it was serious bucks to have done.

And, as an aside, I took the other set I had been given by a friend for yet another truck. They were a little pitted. The same coater, a pro for sure,
said they would come out with some "cottage cheese" in the bad spots, after they blasted them. I still went for it...For about two bills +.
They looked okay when they were done. But only until I put them on the truck and started it up. Blew three inch holes in both sides.

Bye-bye $$$$$$. I was stupid. The upside? I won't do that again. I'll only ever coat new headers.

I don't expect this chrome will last too long.

hotrodhomi 04-01-2011 01:56 PM

New wheels and alternator
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...331_193758.jpg

ChopperDr 04-01-2011 05:43 PM

I put a splitter on the front for the high speed passes I make with the 250. Race ready now.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2371.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2370.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2372.jpg
Looks like it belongs there to me. Someone posted a pic of this adaptation of a Ford part on their truck. I stole their idea. Thanks to whoever it was.

Chop

Jeffs70 04-01-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4593275)

Hey 68 TT, First is cleaning them properly and sanding them down by hand and take your time to do it to get a smooth enough surface and get all the grim off that maybe there. then take some solvent or grease remover to remove any left over dust or anything that will prevent what ever finish you plan on putting onto the headers also do not touch the headers with bare hands at all other then in places you will not worry about getting any dirt on, I then have a buddy of mine that owns a powder coating business and will put the headers in his ovens for a while, then while they are still hot and headed spray them with ceramic coated header paint that holds up under 1800 Degree's heat and let it bake in while heating them up again in the oven. after they are finished and cooled off. take them out and make sure the surface is just how you may like it. you can sand again to get it smooth as you wish then follow the process over if they are not as you like. I know this twice already and I drove the trucks for around 5 years and never had a problem with the finish, alot of times the cleaning of the finish is what causes a problem if not done right. just like any paint job on any car or any surface. least this is my thoughts any how.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 4593419)
Really good question.

I had a two sets ceramic coated. Sort of a shiny aluminum floating in ceramic bake-on product. You all know what that is.
The first set worked for as long as I had that truck. But it was serious bucks to have done.

And, as an aside, I took the other set I had been given by a friend for yet another truck. They were a little pitted. The same coater, a pro for sure,
said they would come out with some "cottage cheese" in the bad spots, after they blasted them. I still went for it...For about two bills +.
They looked okay when they were done. But only until I put them on the truck and started it up. Blew three inch holes in both sides.

Bye-bye $$$$$$. I was stupid. The upside? I won't do that again. I'll only ever coat new headers.

I don't expect this chrome will last too long.

oh no thats got to suck about blowing the holse in your headers sorry to hear that. I have heard about this happening to used headers before but never experienced it. that is also why I purchased new headers instead of used.

BadaSs_Cal 04-01-2011 07:03 PM

got the vent windows out and side glass... Called around for pricing to have the cab blasted. Kinda was trying to avoid going this far...but "might as well"

68 TT 04-01-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffs70 (Post 4593982)
...while they are still hot and headed spray them with ceramic coated header paint that holds up under 1800 Degree's heat

Got a product you like and a link to it for reference?

Newtz67 04-02-2011 12:07 AM

Changed my shifter cable and drove it out to the Sonic cruise night. 2nd time out in 5 months.... felt good!

ItsRandy 04-02-2011 12:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my Boyd's Welding gas tank today, it was waiting for me when I got home from work. I wasn't expecting it for another week, so, I put it in my truck this evening.

project 67 sub 04-02-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopperDr (Post 4593849)
I put a splitter on the front for the high speed passes I make with the 250. Race ready now.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2371.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2370.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/DSCF2372.jpg
Looks like it belongs there to me. Someone posted a pic of this adaptation of a Ford part on their truck. I stole their idea. Thanks to whoever it was.

Chop

any more info on that (part #, price, where to get it, etc.) i kind of like it, looks good, also any more pics of the truck, how easy was it to install??

ChopperDr 04-02-2011 09:01 AM

From Fordparts.com picked up at my local dealer for $27.91. Look up parts for a 1995 Bronco.
Part Name: Bumper Valance Panel
Part Number: 17626
Part Description: Black (Front)

I used some self tapping screws on the lower edge of the front fenders and two brackets I bent up to secure it to the bottom of the frame rails. I'll get more pics if it ever stops raining.

Chopster

70cst 04-02-2011 09:36 AM

Today fine69 will be picking up the Circuit Rider and hauling it back to his shop and fix the "leaks"...then once it is mechanically sound I will drive it down to the body shop and let Curt wrap up a few details that need to be finished. Then the Circuit Rider will be ready to prowl the streets in all her glory. :burnout:

The next step is to buy a set of 15x7 TT II's for the front and also a tonneau covers for the bed. :ennyd:

50bomb 04-02-2011 10:29 AM

Dropped in my 350/th350 yesterday..Use to be a inline 6 with 3 speed Od. Now to figure why my 2 piece drivehaft is to short...And about 2 inches from even touchin the trans. Any ideas?

60ratrod 04-02-2011 12:05 PM

the l6 mounts sit further back on the crossmember than the 2wd v8 mounts. you can a) move the engine back to the rear holes, where the l6 was sitting b) get a th350 with the 9" tail housing c) lengthen the drive shaft

Frkypunk70 04-02-2011 04:00 PM

Took my CCP 3" drop springs out. Replaced them with factory ones with full coil cut. Put moog poly sway bar frame mounts in. Finally put my woodgrain trim piece for the tailgate on. Prepped and painted new radiator to replace the completely wrong one that's in the truck. Decided to take the old girl for a ride to get beer and tryout new suspension. Rides great now but needs drop shocks. The beer is good too :smoke:
Posted via Mobile Device

FRENCHBLUE72 04-02-2011 04:30 PM

Went and bought a battery and fuel.... Hope to have her out of the garage this evening..

Garthc20 04-02-2011 04:33 PM

new bowtie todayhttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...402_095310.jpg

70cst 04-02-2011 04:54 PM

Bye Bye :whine::whine:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i..._5715297_s.jpg

FRENCHBLUE72 04-02-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 4595735)

What the hell did I miss????? did you sell your truck????

70cst 04-02-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 4595744)
What the hell did I miss????? did you sell your truck????

Fine69 is taking it to his shop to do some work on the mechanics...then it will be ready to prowl the road. :burnout:

FRENCHBLUE72 04-02-2011 06:01 PM

Sweet deal I recognized fine69's roll back and had hoped you did not have to sell her at least she is in good hands..

project 67 sub 04-02-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopperDr (Post 4594939)
From Fordparts.com picked up at my local dealer for $27.91. Look up parts for a 1995 Bronco.
Part Name: Bumper Valance Panel
Part Number: 17626
Part Description: Black (Front)

I used some self tapping screws on the lower edge of the front fenders and two brackets I bent up to secure it to the bottom of the frame rails. I'll get more pics if it ever stops raining.

Chopster

ok sweet thanks

nickp51chevy 04-03-2011 01:08 AM

Replaced the ball joints on the right front. Only took all day to get that done....didn't help that we were also working on my brother in law's truck also, and the 10 or more runs to the parts store for tools and/or other parts. But it's done now, and the wheel is nice a solid once again.

RossRinSD 04-03-2011 02:00 AM

Hai guys, haven't been on in a while. Nice to see everybody is making some progress.

I was able to finally install the window my girlfriend got me for Christmas, a tinted sliding rear window.

pulltilbroke 04-03-2011 03:29 AM

Got the motor and tranny pulled and started swapping a few things over to the 292!!

60ratrod 04-03-2011 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
finished turning my 72 into a flintstonesmobile. the driver's floor pan was pretty much toast, along with my driver's front cab support/mount. as you can see its no longer connected to the rocker. but at least the inner rocker panel is in great shape so i don't have to worry about patching/replacing it. but now i get to fight with the original cab mount bolt that goes under the driver's feet so i can get the cab support/mount off and replaced. my question is do i need the plate that sat under the floor board where the bolt goes through for the mount? if not then i'm getting rid of it. if i do then i'm gonna make a new one. sorry for the hazy photo. friggen cell phones.

orange70350 04-03-2011 07:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i got the clip bed and cab removed