The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

VWNate1 04-05-2015 01:07 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saclandman (Post 7119907)
https://youtu.be/4iIFMcI5GW8

Fired it up for the first time since the engine swap. F$@k yeah!

Indeed ! that sounds great .

70 shop truck 04-05-2015 02:29 PM

Stripped down my interior and removed the old gas tank. Removed old seat cover and foam and now I'm just sitting around looking for that FedEx truck full of goodies so I can start putting her all back together again. It was pleasant to find that the floor and the seat frame look really good. Frame only needed a light brush and some paint down on the bottom. :chevy:

cooperhw 04-05-2015 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I widened the tailgate 6 inches to match the bed I did earlier this weekend.
It's now a Chevivrolet. I don't know if I will leave it like that or put a patch panel over it with a bow tie or something? We'll see.

SuperC10Tex 04-05-2015 05:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Great day to put down my first coat of wax on Texas Touch after paint (been almost a year now).

Attachment 1387070

Attachment 1387071

Attachment 1387072

Attachment 1387073

Attachment 1387074

Gravityamp 04-05-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgwss (Post 7119027)
Did you use a kit for the headlight relays? Where did you get it from?

I didn't use a kit . I went my local parts house and bought the relays , circuit breakers and wire . It didn't take very long to do . If you are thinking about doing it , go do it is all I can say !
There is no better upgrade that can be done especially for under 20 bucks !

Peace

Gravityamp 04-05-2015 05:44 PM

Sweet GMC c10Tex
Looks absolutely gorgeous , great job

Peace

Possmguts 04-05-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravityamp (Post 7120773)
I didn't use a kit . I went my local parts house and bought the relays , circuit breakers and wire . It didn't take very long to do . If you are thinking about doing it , go do it is all I can say !
There is no better upgrade that can be done especially for under 20 bucks !

Peace

forgive the stupid question... but what do the relays do for the lights?

FRENCHBLUE72 04-05-2015 07:37 PM

Beautiful truck super

VWNate1 04-05-2015 07:58 PM

Headlight Relays

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7120806)

NOT a stupid question ! .

Headlight relays make the headlights *much* brighter , even the 40 year old original seal beams .

They do this by increasing the amount of electrical power reaching the headlights ~ properly done you use slightly heavier gauge wiring between the battery and head lights , this also serves to take the load off that 40 year old low quality light switch .

For those who like up graded headlights , this is mandatory to get the full out put if the newer lights .

Don't forget to add a ground wire between the head lights and the battery's ground location be it the body , fender or frame .

Gravityamp 04-05-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7120806)

No such thing as a stupid question !
The relays bypass the power having to go thru all the wiring under dash and back to lights . I had a voltage reading on low beams at 10.8 and 8.9 on high beams at the lights now they have the full 12.8 at all times when headlights are on that is . I would say 25 % brighter lights on low 40% brighter on high
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=293913

Peace

Possmguts 04-05-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravityamp (Post 7120937)
No such thing as a stupid question !
The relays bypass the power having to go thru all the wiring under dash and back to lights . I had a voltage reading on low beams at 10.8 and 8.9 on high beams at the lights now they have the full 12.8 at all times when headlights are on that is . I would say 25 % brighter lights on low 40% brighter on high
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=293913

Peace

Thank you sir... nice upgrade

Possmguts 04-06-2015 04:41 PM

Assembled the rear end and got one step closer to having a roller.

colgad 04-06-2015 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When out and got gas today, still working the bugs out. It's better everytime I take it out, fix a rattle here, tighten a bolt there, small airbag leak...

Clean it up and out the the Steak and Shake tomorrow night.

Yooper truck 04-07-2015 08:04 PM

Success!!!! :bann::bann: Not exactly a today only project. I replaced the brake system on my truck during the winter months. Today I took it off the jack stands and down the road for the first time since October.

I installed a power brake booster, replaced all brake lines, and replaced rear pads and hardware as well as having the drums turned. I was pretty happy seeing I have never worked on drum brakes or replaced lines before. I spent a lot of time watching Youtube tutorials. I learned a lot and have the satisfaction of accomplishment.

I am so pleased I just had to post.

truckkeepsmesane 04-07-2015 08:21 PM

Took the passenger interior door panel off my 68 C20 so I could rig the driver's side door handle. Cleaned some grounds so I can get her cranked this weekend

Lou Boffa 04-07-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper truck (Post 7123776)
Success!!!! :bann::bann: Not exactly a today only project. I replaced the brake system on my truck during the winter months. Today I took it off the jack stands and down the road for the first time since October.

I installed a power brake booster, replaced all brake lines, and replaced rear pads and hardware as well as having the drums turned. I was pretty happy seeing I have never worked on drum brakes or replaced lines before. I spent a lot of time watching Youtube tutorials. I learned a lot and have the satisfaction of accomplishment.

Way to go!

LPoole 04-07-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper truck (Post 7123776)

was curious, is yours a drum/drum set up ? and what booster did you install ?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-07-2015 11:29 PM

Looks great SuperC10Tex. Me I won't use wax anymore. Not since it made my 72 yellow Chevelle look so badly. I've been using this since 1996, and couldn't be happier. They have great polishes as well. I used the mild to take off the wax.

http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=115

ole dollor 04-07-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7124132)
Looks great SuperC10Tex. Me I won't use wax anymore. Not since it made my 72 yellow Chevelle look so badly. I've been using this since 1996, and couldn't be happier. They have great polishes as well. I used the mild to take off the wax.

http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=115

do you have to order the stuff or can you get it from an auto supply store. looks like good stuff...Don

Saclandman 04-08-2015 06:08 PM

Bought a full set of new tires today. Nothing fancy, just some M+S's. Now to get them on the truck. Maybe tomorrow.

Possmguts 04-08-2015 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did everything I could without U-bolts to get ready to install the rear end back where it belongs. The U-bolts should be here tomorrow and I can wrap that part up. I mounted the Wilwood brackets and just set the disks and calipers on just to see how its gonna fall together. Man what a nice disk brake setup. That drum style E-brake is really nice. None of those big ugly springs hanging off the calipers... just nice, clean and modern design.

boraxman 04-08-2015 06:52 PM

I moved mine from the driveway to the street...Big day/

tommy3horse 04-08-2015 07:51 PM

I spent the better part of Sunday pulling the pan on the TH350 to stop the leaking. I was pleased to have found very little crap in the pan. So, I changed the filter/gasket, cleaned and painted the pan and bolts, new modulator and topped it off with fluid. (Fluid just dripped out of the modulator too, yikes!).
Cranked it up and it was leaking worse than ever, looked like the pan again, but it was dry. Upon further inspection, I found the secondary accumulator cover leaking. I removed the clip and cover, and found the spring broken in 3 pcs and had damaged the cover.
I was lucky and had another tranny to get the parts I needed, woo-hoo!.

Got it all back together Monday afternoon and took it for a ride. NO LEAKS, its like a miracle. Shift like new, crisp into 2nd was something new fo this truck...replacing that broken spring helps here and smoothly but firmly into 3rd. The bad modulator was allowing the fluid to be sucked into the intake an burned, and of course, it was always "hunting" or "floating" into 3rd.

Spent time cleaning the spent trans fluid off the undercarriage and exhaust.

Time well spent!

Tom

magwakeenercew2jh 04-08-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7125068)
Did everything I could without U-bolts to get ready to install the rear end back where it belongs. The U-bolts should be here tomorrow and I can wrap that part up. I mounted the Wilwood brackets and just set the disks and calipers on just to see how its gonna fall together. Man what a nice disk brake setup. That drum style E-brake is really nice. None of those big ugly springs hanging off the calipers... just nice, clean and modern design.

I think I'm going nuts. I stared at this for five minutes and can't figure it out.
Are the brakes drum and the disk for the e-brake only?

Beautiful...And I know it's me...being a simple disk front/drum rear guy....Butt, What The %&*(^^?

Possmguts 04-08-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 7125232)
I think I'm going nuts. I stared at this for five minutes and can't figure it out.
Are the brakes drum and the disk for the e-brake only?

Beautiful...And I know it's me...being a simple disk front/drum rear guy....Butt, What The %&*(^^?

Its like a newer disk setup where the rotor is also the drum for the E-brake.. the drum part is only for the E-brake, it works by cable... the disk part is what you stop with. Nice 4 piston calipers too

Saclandman 04-09-2015 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Baby's got new shoes! More like work boots.

Yooper truck 04-11-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPoole (Post 7124003)
was curious, is yours a drum/drum set up ? and what booster did you install ?

No, it has disc up front and drums in the rear. I bought the booster from Classic Parts. It bolted in pretty easily. The biggest challenge was connecting the linkage to the brake pedal under the dash.

magwakeenercew2jh 04-11-2015 09:07 PM

http://magwa.smugmug.com/Tower-Car-Show-2015/i-dg9SzvS

MAC71 04-12-2015 12:16 AM

Finished rebuilding my transmission in the 69 and got it installed than washed and waxed it.
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9bdcb1mw.jpg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-12-2015 01:55 AM

Removed and polished headlight bezels. Happy to see after all these years they're show quality. I'm going to be lucky with this truck. Most of it is in excellent condition, though you'd never know it by the picture below.

Removed NOS lower moldings from their packages. Cleaned the glue off and repacked. Couldn't be happier.

I need to figure out the tires. The current are old and I don't like the way they sit in the well anyway. They're 255/70/15.

http://s25.postimg.org/6jwd4zvtb/MY_TRUCK_001.jpg

JasonLS1 04-12-2015 02:50 AM

took some photos out tonight thats about all i did
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1677.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1663.jpg

88fordf150 04-12-2015 07:24 AM

Cool pictures!

dads longhorn 04-12-2015 08:28 AM

Excellent night photos! I really like the first one. You should post it to the artistically shots thread

dads longhorn 04-12-2015 08:31 AM

MAC 71, love that dark olive color. And I like that the top of the cab is green too. Good looking truck

mud.man.rj 04-12-2015 05:52 PM

Kind of like creeping out of the dark the 1st pic, kind of cool, I agree with the artistic thread too.

magwakeenercew2jh 04-12-2015 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dads longhorn (Post 7129739)
Excellent night photos! I really like the first one. You should post it to the artistically shots thread

I like 'em both, too.

Thought I'd take the fireflies out of the one.
I think maybe I like it better before...Not sure.

sk8er32283 04-12-2015 11:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started converting and painting my junkyard motorhome tilt steering column and got around to the faux patina experiment on my cowl. I am pretty excited to get a tilt column, especially for only 60 bucks. I also installed my deluxe side marker lights today. I am trading the old ones for a 6 pack oh beer so I was a little motivated to get that done today.
Attachment 1390206

Attachment 1390207

Ozzy2013 04-13-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonLS1 (Post 7129662)

Cool pictures

toms68cst 04-13-2015 10:59 PM

I retrofitted my stock distributer with a Pertronix distributer. From what I can tell so far it's money well spent!

JasonLS1 04-14-2015 12:34 AM

Thank you everybody, those night shots were just experimenting with my camera, campfire light sure lit up everything in a 30 second exposure at F3.5. I have not seen the artistic shots thread yet, may post it in there :)