The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

MMcMasters 11-28-2016 02:36 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

You have to be itching to get started.The suspense is getting to me and it's not my build!

Stickman 11-30-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7757015)
Yes it is, but I'm burnin' $100 bills to stay warm :lol:

Ultimately, I just wanted to go lower. The NL pieces were very nice, but didn't allow me to drop as far as I wanted

Yes, very similar. I think I'll need a bed fill. Selling that one?

Are you now going to have to raise the bed floor ?

gringoloco 11-30-2016 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7781091)
Killer truckload of parts!

No doubt--I've now found shelf space for it all, but it took some doing. Not sure where I'll put the rest when it arrives
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7781181)
You should be busy for a while! :metal:

Hoping it's just a winter project, but we know how these things go...
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMcMasters (Post 7781225)
You have to be itching to get started.The suspense is getting to me and it's not my build!

Well, with snow on the ground, I've banished the truck to the garage and left the daily duties to the "winter beater" (below), so I should get going soon-ish. Taking a break for a bit while I stockpile parts and spending some time with the fam after I buried myself in the garage during the Blazer rust fix and Mustang T5 swap, but they'll be sick of me soon :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 7782970)
Are you now going to have to raise the bed floor ?

Yes, it will need to come up probably ~3" from where it is currently (already raised 3"). Once the PB rear arrives, I'll be able to get solid measurements and devise a plan

Deer_hunter_088 01-09-2017 03:52 PM

ttt

smbrouss70 01-25-2017 12:15 PM

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...

You have to have something to show us by now... You don't want the natives getting restless, do you? :lol:

kehstr 01-30-2017 04:05 PM

I think we are all getting restless waiting to hear some news!! Even if it is just saying you have been too busy to work on your truck with your wife's car being a priority

kehstr 04-20-2017 09:51 PM

Any updates?

gringoloco 05-28-2017 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 (Post 7820647)
ttt

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7837720)
Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...

You have to have something to show us by now... You don't want the natives getting restless, do you? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7843203)
I think we are all getting restless waiting to hear some news!! Even if it is just saying you have been too busy to work on your truck with your wife's car being a priority

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7921413)
Any updates?

Sorry, guys! Yes, I'm alive. Been sidetracked with the snow, kids, wife, masters, work, life in general, the Mustang, a new Jeep, and my wife's 'new' car, a '66 Bahama Blue Beetle. Needs more low, and a few other things, but I haven't forgotten about the truck ;)

gringoloco 05-28-2017 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the suspension looks like out of the boxes. It's all been to powder since, but no pics of that :waah: Still working on rounding up parts, but making a conscious effort to get everything collected and ready to start, um, soon?

smbrouss70 05-28-2017 10:06 PM

I thought you had gone with an air setup. I can't wait to see how it sits with an extreme coil-over!!!

NewType72 05-29-2017 04:45 AM

Yay new parts!

SCOTI 05-30-2017 12:50 AM

You ever need a hand in the garage, let me know. Eagerly waiting to see the next round of changes.

gringoloco 05-31-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7954106)
I thought you had gone with an air setup. I can't wait to see how it sits with an extreme coil-over!!!

I was planning on air initially. The thought was to keep it simple, ll trying to control the snowball... :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType72 (Post 7954244)
Yay new parts!

Yes, pretty pumped. Just hafta round up the rest of the required stuff. The list is short-ish: rack, fuel tank, misc., but the list will grow if I decide to LS swap it while I'm at it (found a great deal on a 5.3, buuuut... reference the snowball comment above).
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7954957)
You ever need a hand in the garage, let me know. Eagerly waiting to see the next round of changes.

I may be a bit far away now, though we're back from UK, we landed (temporarily) in UT! I miss the southern hospitality :waah:

Orange67 05-31-2017 10:42 PM

Hey! I offered help! Lol actually, to be honest, equal amounts of help and envy...

Tommyh5 06-02-2017 11:05 AM

47 pages deep and the project has a long way to go! Wow. I am impressed. I am looking forward to seeing this through. My goal is an extreme coilover drop on mine as well. Good work bud.

gringoloco 06-02-2017 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange67 (Post 7956461)
Hey! I offered help! Lol actually, to be honest, equal amounts of help and envy...

Don't envy the amount of work ahead of me!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommyh5 (Post 7957460)
47 pages deep and the project has a long way to go! Wow. I am impressed. I am looking forward to seeing this through. My goal is an extreme coilover drop on mine as well. Good work bud.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum! They're never done, I'll keep chipping away at it til I can't anymore. Speaking of...

Started assembling the porterbuilt bits. They are powdercoated in a color called evo grey that is matte metallic and flips from silver to almost black, depending on the lighting. I like it!

gringoloco 06-02-2017 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and I nabbed this complete running 5.3 yesterday for $350. Thinking I may swap it in while the truck is apart. Adds to the complexity, cost, and timeline. We'll see...

Bennett68C10 06-03-2017 07:58 AM

Nice score on the 5.3, I like the color of the powder coated parts too!

Hart_Rod 06-03-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7957883)
Oh, and I nabbed this complete running 5.3 yesterday for $350. Thinking I may swap it in while the truck is apart. Adds to the complexity, cost, and timeline. We'll see...

Awesome! Do it.......:metal:

gringoloco 06-03-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7958067)
Nice score on the 5.3, I like the color of the powder coated parts too!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing it against the black frame
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7958093)
Awesome! Do it.......:metal:

I don't need much encouragement, haha. Already looking at swap parts. Slippery slope, I tell ya...

MMcMasters 06-03-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Congrats!!!!

kehstr 06-04-2017 12:49 AM

really if you have all of the right swap parts it will only add an extra day of work (excluding wiring). There is so much out there now with all of the conversions done, that everything, with maybe excluding a wiring harness, can be bought and make for a plug and play swap. The harness could be done in a solid day with no interruptions, and you don't get easily distracted like I do LOL.
If I was you, I would collect all of the parts, and build everything you know you can with the truck apart. Like the battery tray that will need to be moved onto the driver's side. I would probably even start working on the wiring harness and do as much as you can before the truck is torn down. That way the truck is down for as little of time as possible. Just my personal thoughts here.

gringoloco 06-04-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMcMasters (Post 7958611)
Congrats!!!!

Thanks, I couldn't say no :ito:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7958642)
really if you have all of the right swap parts it will only add an extra day of work (excluding wiring). There is so much out there now with all of the conversions done, that everything, with maybe excluding a wiring harness, can be bought and make for a plug and play swap. The harness could be done in a solid day with no interruptions, and you don't get easily distracted like I do LOL.
If I was you, I would collect all of the parts, and build everything you know you can with the truck apart. Like the battery tray that will need to be moved onto the driver's side. I would probably even start working on the wiring harness and do as much as you can before the truck is torn down. That way the truck is down for as little of time as possible. Just my personal thoughts here.

Agreed. A lot of the necessary bits I'll be touching anyway: exhaust, engine mounts, fuel tank, fuel lines, battery, fans, etc, etc. It may be a near wash as far as cost is concerned, if I can refrain from customizing too much and just stab it in there, but that's not really what I have in mind :lol:

69gmcc10 06-05-2017 11:47 AM

Nice to see the steam building up on this project again! It gets me motivated to get to the garage and work on mine!

mcbassin 06-05-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Sweet deal!:metal: