The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   Trucks Are Beautiful (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444949)

sweetk30 03-24-2019 11:25 AM

Re: Trucks Are Beautiful

i blew up the pic and looks like the last rear axle is a tag axle and not a drive . the 1-2-3 tho are looking like drives with full float axle caps .

yes she was built as a BIG pig to work for sure .

watahyahknow 03-24-2019 12:08 PM

i suspect its a brand new truck delivered to the factory that does the build out and the 5th wheel is either a part of the standard equipment from the factory or they used it to tow more than one truck from the truck manufacturer to the coachworker
the trucks i found where mostly oil field trucks could be its meant for that
https://66.media.tumblr.com/ca14bb17...apto1_1280.jpg

HO455 03-29-2019 09:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Couldn't not post this. With the 904 CI V12!!!! Too cool!

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...846555609.html

Yes V12 flathead 905 cubic inch!!!!!! 24 spark plugs. Motor not frozen, My father and a friends bought this truck over a decade ago and they wanted to build a blastolean type vehicle with this impressive looking power plant, but now there both old and it’s just become yard art. If you have dreams of owning a ladder truck or want to cut it into a million pieces either way is fine with us. Make offer. Send your number and I will call you and discuss this project with you.

watahyahknow 03-30-2019 03:57 AM

from wat i can see it wouldnt be that hard to turn it intoo a blastolene style hot rod , shortening the chassis / move the rear axle untill it allmost touches the current cab . keep the rear fenders and stretch the rear of the cab all the way to the back

special-K 03-30-2019 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that tall sleeper cab on that twin steer axle truck is a stumper.

Our local ATHS chapter has a member with a huge open cab ladder truck like that. He drives it to all the shows... hours away in all kinds of weather. His probably had the same engine. I know he swapped his, but it's still an old huge Continental of some sort, dual ignition and all.

GM72K10 04-21-2019 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Took these pictures in Council Bluffs Iowa's old Rock Island RR yard, April, 1981.
Pretty Heavy duty for its era at least.

special-K 04-21-2019 08:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
There's an ATHS member (I assume) who comes to our Tri-State multi-chapter show in Sept. I don't think he lives too far... I hope. I'd say he thinks trucks are beautiful. He seems to buy them of any and all sorts. I have no idea how many he has, but he brings about 40 to the show. I'm serious. Probably takes a week to get them all there. He has some you wonder why he wanted them and others I'd sure like to have

mountie 04-21-2019 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Fire truck, reminds me of a rig I drove around the country hauling a long trailer with 2 F-1 Tunnelboats. Originally built for custom car builder, Boyd Coddington.

GM72K10 05-06-2019 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not that old but it's not every day you
see a school bus with a snow plow on it.
North Penn School district Montgomery County, Pa.

C10 - C90 Bill 05-06-2019 09:53 PM

First time for me. I've never seen one before. But, being 2-Wheel Drive, I wonder what they use for weight? The nice thing about a Dump is that you can load it with sand, then just dump it off when the plowing is done. Can't use the kids, they stay home on a snow day, lol.

mountie 05-06-2019 11:04 PM

Makes it's own parking space!!!

jumpsoffrock 05-07-2019 01:58 AM

^^^When were those pictures of that truck taken, Mountie?

Tim, thanks for postin those picks, love the last one in white.

GM72K10, I love vintage photos, and those don't look bad at all for being from 1981! Really cool, wonder what ever happened to that truck...

mountie 05-07-2019 07:29 AM

Jumpsoffrock... " ^^^When were those pictures of that truck taken, Mountie? ""

Orange County, around mid '90's.
I drove that rig all around the country & Canada. The truck wasn't designed to be a cross-country rig, so going down long grades or up inclines was sorta dangerous. No jake brakes & a 2-speed axle, with just a 6.9 Detroit Diesel.

....Pretty, though......

jumpsoffrock 05-07-2019 11:30 PM

So it was just slow on the inclines?

That truck was very nice. If you every find a picture of the inside of that things sleeper, I'd love to see it, man it must be like a suite in there!

mountie 05-08-2019 04:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock (Post 8521655)
So it was just slow on the inclines?

That truck was very nice. If you every find a picture of the inside of that things sleeper, I'd love to see it, man it must be like a suite in there!

Truck slow? Well, it was OK... not lot's of HP, but it cruised nice.
It struggled up hills..... you just worked with what limited power you had.
After this multi-year "learning experience", ... I started driving nice semi-trucks after that. ( pro-roadracing).... LOVED the big rigs!!

These pics shows before it was repainted.... Only one pic showing the right side of the RV cab. Other pic as it was parked at my house.
The 'RV' sleeper-box was like a standard " travel trailer" design. ( Inc. a shower/ bathroom)...

The trailer had a double-decker set-up for 2 F1-Tunnel boats, and a Suzuki Samari fitted up foward, to launch boats.

When I went from So Cal to Fenton Missouri, to get new boats, I used this Dually. ( Photo, in snow.... Flagstaff, Az. ) MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
Interestingly enough, the Dually had a 350 cid.

mountie 05-08-2019 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to " Trucks Are Beautiful"......

I was in Lake Havasu painting a nice house in about 1987 ish. The homeowner then requested me to paint his old flat bed truck.... Painted it blue.... Painted it like a cabinet.

Brush -n- roll.... Funny...... I don't remember what truck it was. ( A Ford but don't know year / model )

jumpsoffrock 05-09-2019 01:29 AM

That's a '56 COE, probably a F500 or 600.

Funny how much 1-ton trucks have changed, back then they were cheaper, but slower. Today you have no choice but a $10k diesel. But they're much faster...

special-K 05-12-2019 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The COEs from that era are so cool looking, being the same style truck just reconfigured a little bit :rolleyes:. That ain't nuffin but a big ole '56 Effie*. Probably had a "Big Job" emblem, another cool thing from the era.

I guess the COE pickup jobs are kinda neat and all that. But give me one that hasn't been castrated from actually being useful. You know, like this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...57747605610442
Attachment 1902890

* C-series for those who want to get technical :cool:

C10 - C90 Bill 05-12-2019 12:11 PM

Good looking Ford there.

mountie 05-12-2019 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thinking back...... about late '80's or early '90's, I was at a paint shop where NHRA -John Force had a similar truck built. I'll see if I can find it.

A-Ha..... Found it..... I saw it first in the "before stage"..... never saw it finished.

special-K 05-20-2019 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty neat. We have a business known as Rudy's Welding & Cold Beer. Yep, a welding shop west of town that sells beer. I used to live where that was the first "services" I'd hit on the way into town. It's in it's third generation now, but the son of the original owner was a street rodder... still is. Way back when in the early '80s he had built a slick ramp truck from a 39/40 COE that was white with flames. I wish I ever took a picture of that.

How's this for a shiny log hauler?

Average Joe 05-20-2019 10:07 PM

Purdy rig^^^^

Love the Seminole paint scheme!

special-K 05-21-2019 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Me too. Classic!

Cabovers are good for keeping overall length down :cool:

mountie 05-21-2019 09:34 PM

Oh, my...... what a wheel base !!!

special-K 05-22-2019 06:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Definitely not built for slalom! Probably the best riding Cabover, though. Not that you aren't still sitting over the front axle.

I saw this beautiful truck here:
Attachment 1905578

End up here on Monday morning: