The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

JasonLS1 04-14-2015 12:36 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 7130383)
I like 'em both, too.

Thought I'd take the fireflies out of the one.
I think maybe I like it better before...Not sure.

The fireflies were popping out of the fire, burning cedar. With an without look good, but the fireflies over a 30sec exposure looks cool i think. Either way sir :)

69gmc-IN 04-14-2015 02:20 PM

Well wasn't today, but on Sunday I got the floorpan stripped and sanded. then gave it a couple coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer. Still in damage control mode to just try and stop the deterioration. Also got the new gas tank put in, thanks Amazon! Goals for this week is to get the seat back in, change the oil/filter, prime the fuel system and get it started up and back on the road.

Cw72gmc 04-14-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC71 (Post 7129568)
Finished rebuilding my transmission in the 69 and got it installed than washed and waxed it.
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9bdcb1mw.jpg

Where about in Utah are you? I'm in South Jordan and itching to pull my 72 out of storage this weekend :)

Cw72gmc 04-14-2015 06:44 PM

I Day Dreamed about pulling mine out and installing all the little odds and ends I purchased over the winter.

I'm pulling it out this weekend!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=dc40ab01f8

69gmc-IN 04-14-2015 10:58 PM

Well tonight I got all of the seat bolts cleaned up. Also went ahead and tested them all to make sure they were going to go back in clean. If the rain holds off I'll get the seat back in tomorrow. Also got the oil changed and new oil filter. Now to get gas back in it and get it started.

J & E Speed Center 04-14-2015 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed 49 Pontiac tail lights frenched into the tail panel.

sk8er32283 04-15-2015 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
brewed up some seat belts give a fresh new looks. I used the bondo brand vinyl restore on the buckles.
Attachment 1391285

Attachment 1391286

COBob'70 K-10 04-15-2015 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Roll-in Bed-liner:
Attachment 1391306

Possmguts 04-15-2015 07:00 PM

Did some undercoat removal from the firewall is all.
I need to get it off the stand and roll it on its back so I can do the bottom. Other than that shes completely naked right now.

VWNate1 04-20-2015 09:33 PM

RE : Wax/Polymer

Don ;

I've been using Granitize (? SP ?) " Polymer Wetcoat " for close to 30 years now ~ it's amazing stuff , really makes the faded , scratched & dinged up original paint jobs on my vehicles look great .

I'm sure that stuff you linked to will work as well .

Pretty easy to apply too , just make sure the rig is HOSPITAL CLEAN and get a package or three of thin natural sponges from the .99 CENTS Store , I use each sponge for a panel or two then toss 'em out as soon as i see crud embedded after i wash them with hot water...

I'm going batsh*t without my truck and keep stopping to look at unrestored and beater work trucks I spot in my daily travails , er travels .

In The Ten Ring 04-20-2015 09:39 PM

I got a little done today...

Made bubble flares and got this piece of newly bent fuel line installed.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psxx68qdyp.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psqmh0tbx5.jpg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-20-2015 10:16 PM

Not much real progress to speak of, I'm mostly in collection mode and have other projects. That said, ordered the stove pipe and heat shield today and am stoked about it. Picked up an NOS license plate light assembly last night. Same price as a repro...........I'll take it. Received a few NOS parts here and there last week. One was a steal @ 1/5 its value. Regardless..................................

This is a money pit. Most of the parts on this truck are great, but I've still managed to blow nearly 3K, and there's probably another 2800-3800K to go, just for parts.

Lou Boffa 04-21-2015 02:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got'er tore down and ready for the PS conversion. Process is time consuming for a rookie, but gives me the chance to get everything cleaned, de-rusted & painted/coated. Pulley came off easily. Left to go: install pump and Alan Grove bracket, add a pulley for a 3rd groove, AGR gearbox, rag joint. Button it up and get back on the road. She comin...

67ChevyRedneck 04-21-2015 02:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I had a 10 year old disc brake pad crack and fall apart (still had plenty of pad left) and it scarred the crap out of my $$$ 6 ECE rotor. The rotors can be turned to 1.19" and they were 1.26 before being turned and 1.24" after. Still has a scar, but no big deal. The rotors have +/-100K on them, so I'm pretty impressed with ECE quality. I could also feel the "moment" the pad went. Truck went from stopping normal with no noise to a sudden grinding feeling and noise. I only had a few miles to get back home and in that short distance it scarred the crap out of the rotor, wish I had taken a "before" pic.

I also wish my wheels weren't scarred up from the trim rings and caps... kinda digging the no trim look... but I put them back on after pic.

VWNate1 04-21-2015 04:35 PM

I discovered the guys at The Paint Jail destroyed the original Harrison AC box on the firewall of my truck when they stripped the cab for painting :cuss: these guys keep destroying things assuming everything is available new , I TOLD THEM TO RE USE this stuff as it was all in VGC .

Anyways , where can I buy a new AC / heater box ?.

On a happier note , I discovered where I'd hidden the factory tachometer , it's very carefully packaged to ensure no damage .

Please help me find a new or cherry used AC box .

TIA ,

WarMonger 04-21-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7142774)
I discovered the guys at The Paint Jail destroyed the original Harrison AC box on the firewall of my truck when they stripped the cab for painting :cuss: these guys keep destroying things assuming everything is available new , I TOLD THEM TO RE USE this stuff as it was all in VGC .

On a happier note , I discovered where I'd hidden the factory tachometer , it's very carefully packaged to ensure no damage .

TIA ,

Sent you PM

alsriv2 04-21-2015 04:51 PM

Keep looking at pics of my truck snuggled away in Phoenix. Don't have the time to do anything with it and frustrated it is not here in San Diego. Last work done was the installation of my dipped tank, new fuel sender and Alan Grove brackets installed on the BB396.
Wish I could get back to Phoenix more.

VWNate1 04-21-2015 05:41 PM

Factory AC Box

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMonger (Post 7142786)
Sent you PM

Thank you ! .

:metal:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-21-2015 10:31 PM

Just when I thought I could go an entire day w/o buying something (yesterday was $220) I go and make an offer on NOS door weather strips. This isn't a cheap hobby, but I knew I'd have to do it eventually. The truck won't be done for 2-3 years, but 2 years from now the prices jump minimum 20%.

TxGoats 04-21-2015 10:41 PM

I drove mine to collect dues for the hot rod club I belong to, it was a beautiful day and she ran great. I did put a new knob on my windshield wiper that I got from my son, thanks C10agent!

VWNate1 04-22-2015 08:46 AM

The value in Dollars spent depends on what you get out of the rig .

I'm well past the $20,000.00 mark in my base model 1969 C/10 including initial purchase and it's still in little pieces , looking pretty good at this point but even after I get it back from the Paint Jail I'm going to replace the engine and tranny with up graded units .

Never the less it's still cheaper than buying a new base model Work Truck and in the end , this is and will remain my Shop Truck ~ I know many here have " Hobby Trucks " that suck up tens of thousands of Dollars and only get 500 miles use every year and that's fine too , just don't complain as you knew what it was about when you signed on .

FWIW , I make a decent living @ $50 K / year but this is still a HUGE amount of money , for me the only way I can do it is to spread the co$t out over a year or more , paying out those chunks of $ to have new tires , then new shocks (I don't use any cheap crap, shocks are $125 each X 4 same as tires but times 5) then new ball joints , then $250 for all those little parts to rebuild the dash binnacle .

On an on but I'm happy to drive this old , low tech slow truck , much more so than I am driving any modern rig .

You pays your monies and makes your choices .

In The Ten Ring 04-22-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

TIA ,

I think I'd find another painter and ask this one with a letter, cc'ed to my attorney, to replace the broken AC box.

Nate, I love your truck! I rather wish mine was a lwb also.

In The Ten Ring 04-22-2015 09:54 AM

WV Nate,

Is this what you need?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607498

VWNate1 04-22-2015 06:09 PM

That's a common , easily available part you linked to .

Yes , I am frustrated at their damaging this hard to find part and several others but I know that no amount of legal action will help , the paint is very nice so I just keep buying parts as necessary :waah: .

The hard part is : I keep seeing '67 ~ '72 trucks at car shows with obviously new AC boxes , where are they coming from ?.

I have maybe one lead on a good used one so far , fingers crossed .

Andy4639 04-22-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

TIA ,

Check this guy out.
Factory Auto Air,
he posted on face book at the Charlotte Auto Fair that he bought several factory AC boxes to redo and sell. I talked to him on F/B several times.
813 363 4769
His face book page looks like he knows his parts and AC work.

Classic AC also has factory replacement parts and can fix your box I bet. I have seen fiberglass work done on them that was perfect match and you couldn't tell it after done.
:chevy:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-23-2015 11:35 PM

Received the heat shield and pipe today for my BB. Couldn't be happier. Both are straight, solid and very little surface rust on that shield.

Received a load of repro. this and that's (wire gutters, tailgate bumpers, rear bumper brackets, rear license bracket, etc). Haven't gone through it yet.

Ordered NOS door strips last night. Average price.

Picked up the parts book in a shop binder today, for $34. I'll take it.

It's to the point it's time to dismantle. That said, I need to drop the bed off 20 miles from here first, just waiting on a phone call. Once that happens the fun begins. Good timing too, I'll be retired 14 months from now, and get 8 weeks off this year. I have other projects as well. Figure the truck will take 3 years, minimum.

Donzie 04-23-2015 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed out the fronts wheels, 15s, whitewalls with '55 Chevy caps. Have to get some tires to fit the 8"ers for the rear.
Got my rear wiring harness in the mail. Now I have to find time to put it on.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-23-2015 11:59 PM

Who do you recommend for harnesses? I'd like to keep as close to OEM as possible.

VWNate1 04-24-2015 12:14 AM

I dreamed of having my truck back , I wonder how many more things they'll break / destroy through carelessness .

I also got a note from the Sheriff , it seems my old 1976 GMC 2500 has been impounded yet again , still has my name on the title and expired tags from 2011 when I sold it.....

Maybe it's not too badly beat up , if not and the impound fees are not too high , I'll go get it back .

I bought it , put $3,700.00 worth of parts into it , used it for *one* job and donated it to one of those ripoff ' Donate to Charity ' places , it's been floating around illegally ever since .

It's an original paint , long bed fleet side nearly rust free special order rig with 292 C.I. i6 engine (my favorite) and Muncie SM465 manual tranny ~ it also had all new ball joints , gas shocks , new windshield , new radiator , water pump , rebuilt high out put alternator , rebuilt starter , original wheels , dual fuel tanks with matching factory locking caps , the dashboard was trashed so i rebuilt it using all the high end factory gauges from same year Suburbans , clock , full gauges , even an original DELCO AM/FM Stereo , on and on and.....

It pi$$es me off to be taken advantage of like this , I don't really need it but what the heck ~ if it's not ruined I'll re paint it and sell it again after I bring the tags up current .

It's the last year you need to smog but by dint of being a heavy duty 3/4 ton (over rated GVW from new) it doesn't require a catlytic converter , I spent weeks chasing down all those little niggly parts , hoses , switch over valves and ' Just So ' clamps etc. ~ it FLEW through smog test .

Anyways , that's my old truck story(ies) for to - day :chevy: .

If it's junk , I'll sniff sadly and walk away .

magwakeenercew2jh 04-24-2015 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the 11th, I had a great time at a show in the Tower District of Fresno with the C-10 guys and gals.

One thing that happened, though, was that the Little Woman's wedding ring took out a couple of small chunks
out of the paint right above the old school pinstripe on the tailgate. One "eraser size" and one "pinhead size".

You-know-what happens.

I tried to fix it today. But the mix of paint (792) that I was given by the painter for touch-up went in a little dark.

Oh, well.

magwakeenercew2jh 04-24-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7146066)
I dreamed of having my truck back..........
It pi$$es me off to be taken advantage of like this , I don't really need it but what the heck ~ if it's not ruined I'll re paint it and sell it again after I bring the tags up current .

I think I have "S&#@W ME" tatted on my forehead. Still, I'd rather be me than the guy I bought a motor from back in 2003.

Saw his ad in a local paper. Checked him out. Got bad advice about how good he was from a couple of locals. He promised it
"absolutely will not leak". He was an older guy with real experience. Working in his garage after some hard times.

It didn't leak.

He was starting a shop. I had a very clean '73 3/4 ton flatbed with a nice 454 in it up on the hill. I didn't need it. It was almost
time for annual tags. I asked him if he had a shop truck. He glistened up when I gave it to him. Started dancing around and giving
a whole bunch of thanks to the Man upstairs. I thought that was cool.

He came and got the '73 on day four.

On day five, my motor started leaking oil.

On day six, I saw an ad for the '73 3/4 ton flatbed in the newspaper.
His phone number.

tim's68gmc 04-24-2015 12:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
got sand blasted

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...56#post7144356

In The Ten Ring 04-24-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 7146078)
On the 11th, I had a great time at a show in the Tower District of Fresno with the C-10 guys and gals.

One thing that happened, though, was that the Little Woman's wedding ring took out a couple of small chunks
out of the paint right above the old school pinstripe on the tailgate. One "eraser size" and one "pinhead size".

You-know-what happens.

I tried to fix it today. But the mix of paint (792) that I was given by the painter for touch-up went in a little dark.

Oh, well.

Just one of the reasons I don't wear rings. Sorry about your paint.

Today was a big day for me. :ito: I removed the old fuel pump! It had so much oil and gunk on it I had to hit it with degreaser before I could even fit a socket on the bolts! Getting to it was a challenge.....I finally settled on letting my stomach enjoy my lying across the radiator core support. AC Delco original pump came right off, with the help of a gentle bash from a short 2x4.

I got all of the old gasket off but my trouble light needed a recharge and by the time it was ready (and I was off the phone) it had gotten cold (supposed to snow tonight). I'll get it on tomorrow. Once it's on, I'll make the final length of fuel line and that job's done! :metal:

VWNate1 04-24-2015 01:56 AM

" I think I have "S&#@W ME" tatted on my forehead. Still, I'd rather be me than the guy I bought a motor from back in 2003. "

Don't feel too badly , honest Tradesmen are as rare as hen's Teeth .

They *do* exist (I am one) but it's simply too easy to lie and cheat in The Auto Trade .

I'm old and supposedly know all the pit falls and warning signs yet I got burned badly buying this truck from a lying @$$hole Texas braggart , oh well :waah: .

I like the truck and so far in spite of the difficulties with the Paint Shop I am shickled titless with the actual paint he's lain on and also with getting a new cab installed on my worthless and DANGEROUS old truck .

I *could* have gone and bought a new truck but no ~ I want what I want and will work diligently to - wards that goal .

Once I am again wheezing it down a remote Desert road with my chains going ' jingle jangle jingle ' , I'll be one happy mofo indeed ;) .

You'd be shocked & amazed at how many old engines I buy because I assume they're scrap , this pile of engines then allows me to cherry pick the bits & bobs I want to use .

Kinda stupid I know but I'm *very* picky about how I build my junk :lol: .

ChrisP 04-24-2015 05:10 AM

Managed to get my 68 C10 started after I bought it as a non runner and having sat at my place for roughly 3 months.

Econman 04-26-2015 09:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Getting closer to being able to fire her up...

(Yesterday), I got the alternator brackets on, bought new bolts to install my new polished alternator.

I got the new belts on and the new power steering hoses on.

Plus, I added a K&N breather to the valve cover.
Attachment 1395802

Attachment 1395803

Attachment 1395804

allchevy58 04-26-2015 11:31 PM

Started tearing apart front group to lineup doors and fenders, install new cab and radiator support mounts. One thing always leads to another, probably cleanup engine compartment and fix some oil leaks. Happy to see zero rust.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5bpszreq.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...psfdlrfwp8.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...psqlewlipq.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69xj9iyv.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69xj9iyv.jpg

DarkFlounder 04-27-2015 01:10 PM

Began the refurb of the replacement bed. Sanded most of the paint from the bedsides and back panel. Next weekend will be the wheel wells and bed floor, then the abrasive blaster to clean up the nooks and crannies.

So, I'm getting a better picture of the state of my $100 used longbed. The driver's side bedside is almost perfect, just a few dings. The passenger side was half-covered with Bondo, up to 3/8 inch thick. After much sanding (and dust everywhere and complaining wife), the full damage is revealed. No rust, but some ****ty slide hammer dent removal. Got a lot of panel straightening, followed with filling holes.

Bedsides and back panel mostly paint-free. Next weekend will be the wheel wells and bed floor, followed with abrasive blasting to clean out the crevices and surface rust pitting. I'll post pictures next weekend and hopefully show all shiny clean metal.

OregonNed 04-27-2015 02:14 PM

I had issues getting my Myrtle Wood sized for my new truck deck, so I turned to quarter sawn red oak. Bought some boards this weekend and they are planed up, ready for sizing and milling.

In The Ten Ring 04-27-2015 04:23 PM

Will you stain or otherwise polyurethane these boards for your bed?