The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Vic1947 10-15-2014 06:20 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

2 Attachment(s)
In-laws Rick and Linda have been here the last couple of days but left this morning to continue their trip. Rick and I spent a substantial amount of time researching a fix for the 240V Voltec charger for Kathy's electric car that's been on the fritz. Also, while he was here I gave him an AccuAir demo, and wouldn't you know it, one of the relays picked that moment to weld the contacts closed. The compressor it controlled just kept chugging away till we pulled the power. Kinda worrisome since it could happen again. I'm guessing that repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the main power caused enough spikes to fry the contacts. Regardless, it points up a real need for a pop-off valve on the tank. It may also be beneficial to wire a condenser (capacitor) to one side of the points. However, I think using genuine Bosch relays (not the made in China clones) would probably be sufficient.

Side project for today was to start whittling out some spark plug wire looms. As usual, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for so I'm building them. In progress photo is attached.

jlsanborn 10-15-2014 08:03 PM

Those are going to be cool pieces Vic!

Surprised the compressors don't have built in reliefs? Maybe look at OEM radiator fan relays, or even *ord style starter relays if the Accuair controller can drive a coil that big. I'd bet it's just the high motor current that's smoking the contacts as opposed to a collapsing field or "kick-back". On the control side, it wouldn't hurt to use diodes across the relay coils to help protect the outputs of the Accuair controller.

Edit... Assume the Accuair is calling the compressors to run based on a pressure switch input OR is the pressure switch hard wired to the pump relays?

Vic1947 10-15-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6880511)
Those are going to be cool pieces Vic!

Surprised the compressors don't have built in reliefs? Maybe look at OEM radiator fan relays, or even *ord style starter relays if the Accuair controller can drive a coil that big. I'd bet it's just the high motor current that's smoking the contacts as opposed to a collapsing field or "kick-back". On the control side, it wouldn't hurt to use diodes across the relay coils to help protect the outputs of the Accuair controller.

Edit... Assume the Accuair is calling the compressors to run based on a pressure switch input OR is the pressure switch hard wired to the pump relays?

Hey John, thanks for the feedback. There's a 150 psi pressure switch on the tank that that sends a signal to the ECU which then toggles 12V to the relay coil to run the compressors. You may be right that the compressors have a built in relief, but I think they can pump up to 250 psi. When the relay contacts stuck, the compressor continued to run even though the ECU had dropped the coil voltage. I finally got concerned and disconnected the main power before finding out if there's a built in safety. I've ordered a 165 psi pop off valve just to be safe. I may wire in the diodes, though. They'll clamp the coil hysteresis. Still gonna get Bosch relays and ditch the made in China ones.

Low Elco 10-16-2014 10:07 AM

Glad you guys know what the hell you're talking about. I can hit things with hammers, does that help?

Vic1947 10-16-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6881206)
Glad you guys know what the hell you're talking about. I can hit things with hammers, does that help?

Good to know, Chip, I'll give you a call when it's "Hammer Time". ;)

jaros44sr 10-16-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6881206)

:lol:, me too! This is half of my mess

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/...35b5e23f_c.jpg
20141011_141033 by [url=https://

Nice work, as always Vic. enjoy reading your posts

Vic1947 10-16-2014 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6881271)
:lol:, me too! This is half of my mess. Nice work, as always Vic. enjoy reading your posts

Dang, Jim! That looks like a handy six mess for sure. No doubt you'll whip it into shape, though.

Wire looms are done and installed. Before anyone asks about the purple wires, they're a concession to Kathy's sister. As the build progressed, when she'd look it over, invariably she'd ask, "Where's the purple?" Kinda like that lady on the old Wendy's commercial asking, "Where's the beef?" Finally told her I'd put purple wires on it. The silver truck had purple lettering on the floor mats, so if this is too much, I may go that route later on.

jaros44sr 10-16-2014 02:12 PM

Very nice machine work, gotta get me one of those rounding over bits. Always like to see someone put their own handiwork into a build, nothing like a counter bored hole filled with a ss bolt

Yeah Vic, starting to get my head wrapped around electrical stuff
You re build is really slick
The V/Cs, headers, and engine paint really work well together. Just classic....

Xeen 10-16-2014 03:03 PM

It's the attention to detail that sets Vic's builds apart from the rest.
Outstanding!

sduckworth13 10-16-2014 03:21 PM

I like custom made Cook wire looms, those look nice and compact. The wires look good too Vic.

jeh 10-16-2014 08:11 PM

Very nice Vic, always curious to see what's next!!

Low Elco 10-17-2014 08:09 AM

Neat and tidy. Nice!

sduckworth13 10-18-2014 09:54 PM

Vic, thank you again for taking time away from your project to rebuild my engine and help me out getting the engine fired up today. The trucks runs awesome, I am very thankful for everything you did for me.

Vic1947 10-19-2014 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
With Scott's engine project transformed from junk to jewel, I've been forced back into bondo bondage. Picked up where I left off on the firewall. A month or so ago, I troweled some 3M seam sealer in the f/w rain gutter to even out the step created by the pinchweld. Most folks would have called it good but instead, I went all Foose on it and laid down some filler to smooth it out. Getting fingers and sandpaper into a one inch wide, 3/4 inch deep groove is a tester. I'm sure it will look great a year from now and no one will give it a second glance.

Good friend and metal man extraordinaire, Keith Daleen, requested an updated shop flat rate sign from our mutual best bud, Steve Smith. Lucky me ended up with an extra. Great addition to the wall art even if it's wishful thinking...

sduckworth13 10-19-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6884785)
With Scott's engine project transformed from junk to jewel, I've been forced back into bondo bondage. Picked up where I left off on the firewall. A month or so ago, I troweled some 3M seam sealer in the f/w rain gutter to even out the step created by the pinchweld. Most folks would have called it good but instead, I went all Foose on it and laid down some filler to smooth it out. Getting fingers and sandpaper into a one inch wide, 3/4 inch deep groove is a tester. I'm sure it will look great a year from now and no one will give it a second glance.

Good friend and metal man extraordinaire, Keith Daleen, requested an updated shop flat rate sign from our mutual best bud, Steve Smith. Lucky me ended up with an extra. Great addition to the wall art even if it's wishful thinking...

Firewall looks great Vic. I thought it was perfect the last time I seen before you reworked it.
That's a pretty cool sign Vic. I'm just glad we got done before the rates went into effect :).
With the superb work you do I think someone would be getting more than there money's worth if those were actual rates.

Xeen 10-19-2014 08:42 PM

:lol: Vic I thought this wasn't going to be a show truck, what's with the perfect firewall?

Elliot949 10-19-2014 09:24 PM

Vic... This is looking Great... I should be getting Class Act back about the middle of November then hopefully I can start getting it straight as a arrow... I love what you have done with the firewall is awesome... Keep it rolling dude...

Vic1947 10-19-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6885053)
:lol: Vic I thought this wasn't going to be a show truck, what's with the perfect firewall?

Still no plans for a show truck, but the firewall is easy to work on right now (except for the #$%* rain gutter) so I figured what the heck. ;)

Low Elco 10-20-2014 08:46 AM

Glad you're not spending a lot of time on this new beater truck. ;) good lookin stuff!

Vic1947 10-20-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6885593)
Glad you're not spending a lot of time on this new beater truck. ;) good lookin stuff!

Well, some folks have set a pretty high bar for daily drivers....:rolleyes:

Low Elco 10-20-2014 10:18 AM

It's just to drag the boat to the lake with....

I like the sign!

jlsanborn 10-20-2014 11:30 AM

Bondo bondage, goin all Foose :lol:

Great looking work as usual Vic!

mcbassin 10-20-2014 04:15 PM

Nice work on the custom wire loom mounts, the cab and I sure like the new sign. :)

Vic1947 10-20-2014 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm gonna need all the support I can get to make it to the finish line. I'm at 19 months and counting on this build. Silver truck took 13 months total. Spending way too much time off in dreamland. Probably didn't do enough imagineering on Silver, though, or I'd have concentrated on creature comforts more.

Firewall is done except for primer and a little spot filler. Did have a brain fart, though. Filled up the two pilot holes required for mounting the A/C box. Should have drilled them all the way thru when I had the chance. Now I have to dig parts out of the shipping box to figure out where the holes should be. Started smoothing out the dash where I welded up the speaker opening. Bosch relays and the pop off valve arrived today. I was amazed at how much heavier the relays are than the "Made in China" clones. I feel confident these contacts won't stick.

jeh 10-20-2014 07:06 PM

Nice work Vic, I could only imagine if you "were" building a show truck.... Scott's engine turned out great, I heard a little sample of it idling today:metal: