The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   PO has me PO'd (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=210641)

vtblazer 02-09-2010 08:56 AM

Re: PO has me PO'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 3788687)
I like checking in on your thread so I can see somebody who is still plugging away at it.

Go Jim Go!

Tynee 02-09-2010 10:45 AM

Does that say "S-K" on the side? I've snapped or otherwise tiwsted off SEVERAL of those 1/2" x 3/8" extensions of various brands, but never a Snap-On. It's kind of my personal challenge in life to someday find a way to grenade a Snap-On product with my bare hands. I'm beginning to think that particular ambition will go un-fulfilled.

jaros44sr 02-09-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3788188)
IMPACT GUN :sumo:

Damn it! I hate when you're right:lol:
What, did that take you 1.35 seconds to figure that out?:lol: Gave Jon an electric one for Christmas last, problem is, he's 300 miles away and my compressor needs new valve seats...goin' to have to do this the hard way

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 3788687)
Yikes - that stinks. I like checking in on your thread so I can see somebody who has been where I am and is still plugging away at it. :)

Thanks for watching, I also check in on you:lol:You're at the most difficult part of the build, noisy, dirty, time consuming, and more negative adjectives than I can't think of right now! It only gets better as the metal work gets done...sorta

For me it's just fun being in my work shop, building something with my own two hands, then sitting back and looking at it. Best thing I ever built was my workshop, decades of pleasure

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3789694)
Go Jim Go!

Should be SloJimSlo:lol:, but time is on my side, wasn't that a Stones song?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee (Post 3789839)
Does that say "S-K" on the side? I've snapped or otherwise twisted off SEVERAL of those 1/2" x 3/8" extensions of various brands, but never a Snap-On. It's kind of my personal challenge in life to someday find a way to grenade a Snap-On product with my bare hands. I'm beginning to think that particular ambition will go un-fulfilled.

Damn Tynee, what do you have a magnifier on your monitor? Yes, it was a SK...time to bring out the shiny tools:lol:

low'n slow 02-09-2010 10:33 PM

Jim, I had to replace an alternator and the pully was wrong on the new one and the correct one was rusted tight to the old alternator. The guys at the local Checker/O'Reilly sprayed some new (to me) stuff on it that froze the metal. Pretty soon it was off using hand tools.

I don't remember the name, but the can was white and light blue. It made a believer out of me. I bought a can on the spot.

I'd run out and look at it, but its at home and I've been working in Detroit the last 6 weeks.

Good luck getting it out.

Doug

jaros44sr 02-10-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low'n slow (Post 3791146)
Jim, I had to replace an alternator and the pulley was wrong on the new one and the correct one was rusted tight to the old alternator. The guys at the local Checker/O'Reilly sprayed some new (to me) stuff on it that froze the metal. Pretty soon it was off using hand tools.

I don't remember the name, but the can was white and light blue. It made a believer out of me. I bought a can on the spot.

I'd run out and look at it, but its at home and I've been working in Detroit the last 6 weeks.

Good luck getting it out.

Doug

How much longer are you up in Detroit?
Thanks for the heads up Doug, will have to try that with a combination of better tools

I've used bearing stretchers, but never used cold, makes sense, just opposite principle

Gotta go back and change my 'Snapon' comment, before Tynee yells at me again:lol:

Tynee 02-10-2010 01:27 PM

I would never yell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: That was much funnier with my caps lock on. I didn't realize that the board wouldn't let me yell. Hmm...

Classic Heartbeat 02-10-2010 01:44 PM

One set of front bumper brackets that vtblazer posted are for 2WD and the blue ones are for 4WD. I don't know if anyone noticed that. The 2WD brackets will not work on a 4WD truck. WES

70 Suburban 02-10-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee (Post 3792294)

Edit: That was much funnier with my caps lock on. I didn't realize that the board wouldn't let me yell. Hmm...

IT WILL IF YOU USE A LOWER CASE i...

jaros44sr 02-10-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee (Post 3792294)

Now that is funny, didn't know we couldn't YELL anymore!:lol:

edit...NOW THAT IS FUNNY, DIDN'T KNOW WE COULDN'T YELL ANYMORE...THANKS, SUBURBAN. works for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 3792327)
One set of front bumper brackets that vtblazer posted are for 2WD and the blue ones are for 4WD. I don't know if anyone noticed that. The 2WD brackets will not work on a 4WD truck. WES

Wes, thanks for dropping by, I'm appreciative of your input! BTW, great advise on those '67 side molding trim clips, Mar-K did a fabulous job of repop. Didn't realize the inside fender screws were with the kit, then as I dug further into the bag, there they were, correct shape of the head and all. Perfect way to mount up my NOS trim. I'm glad we have guys like you on our side of the restoration. Also the idea of drop shipping from the manufactor to me, saved a couple of bucks and time. Thanks again

Yes I did notice the differance, but keeping that information at the forefront is important to us all. If Coyote had read my threads he would have realized I have an extra set now, but he is buying a set for 45 from 6T727T2.

lks dcvn 02-10-2010 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some time to kill at work today and reviewed your whole thread - what did you use in these pix to coat the A pillar and rocker - brushed on Rustoleom?

I want to smooth my rocker into my A and B pillar so I will be using a skim coat of filler to clean up the ends a bit...or is there a better product to use [metal lab]?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=315

I have my door off now - and wanted to paint it - but it isn't warm enough for me to do it now...soooo I guess I will have to yank the door and fender in the spring to get it painted the right way - I hate lining up the doors and fenders...:(

vtblazer 02-10-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 3792327)

Correct, quite a difference between the two, thanks for the clarification.

Jim should be receiving the blue set any day now..., the 4x4 set.

jaros44sr 02-10-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 3792773)
Had some time to kill at work today and reviewed your whole thread - what did you use in these pix to coat the A pillar and rocker - brushed on Rustoleom?

I want to smooth my rocker into my A and B pillar so I will be using a skim coat of filler to clean up the ends a bit...or is there a better product to use [metal lab]?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=315

I have my door off now - and wanted to paint it - but it isn't warm enough for me to do it now...soooo I guess I will have to yank the door and fender in the spring to get it painted the right way - I hate lining up the doors and fenders...:(

Yes, at the time I had a lot of bare metal, and just wanted a way of keeping the surface rust down. Rustoleom seemed to be a cheap fix and when it comes time, I'll get Big J to sand it off, lots of experiance:lol:
There is a light weight filler to blend that seam in, but now that it is done, I'm thinking I like it better with out the filler. I do have Lab Metal but didn't use it for that purpose
Wow, seems funny to go back in time and see that pic

jaros44sr 02-10-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3792866)
Correct, quite a difference between the two, thanks for the clarification.

Jim should be receiving the blue set any day now..., the 4x4 set.

:ennyd:

low'n slow 02-10-2010 09:21 PM

Jim, I'll be here through the end of the month, then back home.

Doug

Big J 02-11-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3792938)
I'll get Big J to sand it off, lots of experiance:lol:

Wow, seems funny to go back in time and see that pic

You can't afford me, I've got so much time in on sandin' my services have become priceless:lol:.

I know what what your saying about seein' the old pics. Went back through mine awhile back. Can't believe I did all that.

Classic Heartbeat 02-11-2010 12:30 PM

Thank you guys for your confidence. It's great to know that you are appriciated.
I didn't read back in the thread to see if anyone was asking about both. I pop into this thread once and a while to check on the progress. :lol: I was and am now working on a Longhorn for a customer, so I didn't have a bunch of time. WES

jaros44sr 02-12-2010 02:25 PM

OK, more questions to find the answers for. If you ever have a chance to deal with Roger Koop out of Shawnee, Kansas, you will not be disappointed. Stand up guy, and does what he says he will do. He waited for me on an E-bay auction for a month to get all the funds to him, plus all the emails sent back and forth with questions. Knowledgable guy, and fun to talk to. Guys like him I like to refer to as a 'blast from the past'

Thanks to the guys on the board for the 'heads up'. I think it was 71BLKSUPER4X4
Guess this stuff gives me a reason to install my tilt column, or not! If I take another thing apart...well, you know how that goes, might as well do it syndrome

Right now my bracket for the cables is soaking in the rust resolver, I'll show it in two days

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip064.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip065.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip066.jpg

Tynee 02-13-2010 08:23 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never seen a factory cruise set-up before. Is that what I'm looking at?

jaros44sr 02-13-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee (Post 3798035)
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never seen a factory cruise set-up before. Is that what I'm looking at?

Sorry Tynee, should have been more descriptive. Yes, that is a cruise, for as close to what would've been supplied by the dealer in '72. But, I still have to get a master switch, to complete the package. Missed one by 1 hour on our parts board. I've grown lazy in my old age, can't imagine driving any considerable distance with out one of these

Here is the throttle bracket after a 12 hour soak in Eastwoods rust resolver. Even did a nice job on the threads of the bolts, left everything a nice light grey patina

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip067.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip068.jpg

jaros44sr 02-17-2010 01:59 PM

Had to find out if a 4speed bowl would fit from a nontilt column...it doesn't, but I did find a broken wire and a split race, so it wasn't a total waste of a 'President's Day Off'

Back to my original plan to shave and fill the shifter nub

PLEASE, no one tell me you don't have to take apart the turn signal switch to disassemble a tilt column

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip069.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip070.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip071.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hinTrip072.jpg

vtblazer 02-17-2010 03:49 PM

Jim, I have a few 'parts' columns if you need some small pieces or wiring.

Would this be a good time to tell ya about the factory 4spd tilt column I have squirrled away...? :hm:

my67chevytruck 02-17-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3807098)

Would this be a good time to tell ya about the factory 4spd tilt column I have squirrled away...? :hm:

What a tease.... :lol:

keep up the great work Jim!

jaros44sr 02-17-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 3807122)
What a tease.... :lol:

keep up the great work Jim!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3807098)

NO!. but I was aware of your 4 speed tilt:lol:

It could be fixed with a piece of shrink tubing, very small nick, but I can't figure a way of getting the tubing over the wire. I wonder if the 1/2 circle electrical plug comes apart, sorta like the bulkhead fitting does for the main engine/headlight harness

I could use a race for one of the bearings;)

Thanks 67chevy for the acknowledgments

vtblazer 02-17-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3807169)
I could use a race for one of the bearings

Send me a pic of what you need and I'll check the ones I have here.

triaddelec@trans-video.net

Use the e-mail if it's easier for ya.

Chevyman63 02-18-2010 07:11 AM

Hey Jim...did all those parts on the work bench come out of the column? Wow, I had no idea!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: