The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

Gotenntitans 07-01-2021 01:59 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

https://i.ibb.co/x7MQP2n/D3940-F9-C-...60383-AFDA.jpg
Not exactly soup time of year, but went ahead and made a pot of Brunswick Stew today. Stirred through it to show what’s in it.
6 boneless chicken thighs, sautéed in olive oil & seasoned with Cavenders Greek seasoning
1 10 oz bag frozen baby lima beans
1 10 oz bag of frozen cut corn
6 diced red potatoes
1 diced yellow onion
3 strips bacon diced
1/2 lb diced ham
1 big can whole tomatoes squeezed & broke apart by hand
1 box plus 1 can chicken broth (I used Swanson)
Salt & pepper to taste

Started with bacon & onion. Cook until bacon is almost done, then add everything else and simmer for about an hour. Chicken will shred apart with a fork. Keep it on low and let her go for a couple more hours and it’s ready to go. You can use squirrel or rabbit instead of chicken…..probably would have myself if I had any squirrel or rabbit, but summertime ain’t the time to go eat one of them critters.

Ol Blue K20 07-01-2021 11:48 PM

It looks delicious!

special-K 07-02-2021 05:29 AM

Isn't it kind of funny how we think of soup as cold weather food? Especially wet cold weather. I know it's because it warms you up inside so well. But why not eat it in hot weather? I mean, do we only eat cold food all summer? There's going to be people all over this nation this weekend standing at the grille cooking hot dogs, hamburgers, bbq... All good hot!

FleetsidePaul 07-02-2021 08:53 AM

I just made a batch of Ox tail soup with Collard greens. I can eat it all year long. Dang those Ox tail's have gotten expensive lately.

Gotenntitans 07-02-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8939155)
I just made a batch of Ox tail soup with Collard greens. I can eat it all year long. Dang those Ox tail's have gotten expensive lately.

Love me some collards! Grandma & Dad we’re always turnip green & polk salad (sallet) lovers……and I am too, but collards are my favorite!…….with some cornbread!!!

Stocker 07-02-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

My mom used to make ox tail soup back in the dark ages when I was a kid.
I haven't seen ox tails for many years, then a few months ago there they were in the store.
Can't recall the price but it was a shocker, very expensive. I left 'em there.

EDIT: Ironically, the reason my mom made oxtail soup is because oxtails were so darn cheap.
It was the Fifties, money was tight, and four kids meant six mouths to feed.

Rich84 07-02-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

America is such a great place. We are like a million different countries in one place. I have no idea what a collard green (I assume it's a leafy green) is or looks like. My wife used to eat pigs feet when she was young but I never heard of eating an ox tale. Cow's hearts are pretty good..

FleetsidePaul 07-02-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8939183)
Love me some collards! Grandma & Dad we’re always turnip green & polk salad (sallet) lovers……and I am too, but collards are my favorite!…….with some cornbread!!!

I didn't make cornbread only because it's so dang hot that I didn't want to turn on the oven. Although it's so hot that I could have set it on the driveway and baked it.

When I was a teenager I had a job in a restaurant making cornbread. I've made a ton of it.

Finding ox tails and greens at the market is really hit and miss. Sometimes they have them and most of the time they don't. This time they did. :)

Ox tails are expensive but they go a long way. I made enough to feed 5 people. So, not too bad.

Next on the list is Lengua (beef tongue) taco's with Spanish rice and refried black beans. :ito:

Then bust out my deep fryer and make fried chicken with Alabama white sauce.

Gotenntitans 07-02-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8939236)
I

Next on the list is Lengua (beef tongue) taco's with Spanish rice and refried black beans. :ito:

Then bust out my deep fryer and make fried chicken with Alabama white sauce.

Man, let us all know when you get it ready & we’ll head your way.

Gotenntitans 07-02-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8939211)
America is such a great place. We are like a million different countries in one place. I have no idea what a collard green (I assume it's a leafy green) is or looks like. My wife used to eat pigs feet when she was young but I never heard of eating an ox tale. Cow's hearts are pretty good..

https://i.ibb.co/wcPvVN3/A39-DA7-FC-...FB6-F4-C5.webp
Good guess! They hold up pretty good unless you just really cook em for hours! Kinda like a dark green bitter cabbage. I love em with cornbread & some pepper sauce.

Ol Blue K20 07-02-2021 03:32 PM

You guys are making me hungry!

Low Elco 07-02-2021 07:50 PM

Have been very seriously considering getting one of the Blackstone grills to take a whack at Japanese Teppan style cooking. Our local place shut down and I really miss fried bean sprouts.

FleetsidePaul 07-03-2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8939248)
Man, let us all know when you get it ready & we’ll head your way.

Anytime...Bring beer. :lol:

CG 07-03-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8939336)
Have been very seriously considering getting one of the Blackstone grills to take a whack at Japanese Teppan style cooking. Our local place shut down and I really miss fried bean sprouts.

We got a Blackstone Griddle a month ago. Haven't made anything too over the top get. I do like it better than grilling because clean up is so easy. Plus I suck at bbq haha!

Gotenntitans 07-03-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8939423)
Anytime...Bring beer. :lol:

NOT gonna be a problem, my friend! Thanks.

Gotenntitans 07-07-2021 09:12 AM

I have a friend with a commercial produce farm. Several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, squash, watermelons, cantaloupes, and purple hull peas. Visited him yesterday so now the work begins!!! Looks like a day of pea shellin!
https://i.ibb.co/mCF9KPT/19-A9-F6-B3...C6-D1-F6-E.jpg

1slo64 07-07-2021 09:18 AM

Planted 2 120ft rows of purple hull last week, looking forward to them coming in.

Boog 07-07-2021 10:57 PM

Purple hull, crowder and black eyed peas are a major part of my food intake. My favorites. ;)

72c20customcamper 07-13-2021 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tenants are on vacation so I’m redoing the tub/shower . Went with a fiberglass tub and walls . Should be installed tomorrow if I work to about 9 tonight.

LONGHAIR 07-13-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8939249)
https://i.ibb.co/wcPvVN3/A39-DA7-FC-...FB6-F4-C5.webp
Good guess! They hold up pretty good unless you just really cook em for hours! Kinda like a dark green bitter cabbage. I love em with cornbread & some pepper sauce.

There is a little neighborhood church across the street from the old shop location, where I used to work. They have a "soul food" kitchen that is open every day and does fish frys on Friday/Saturday nights. The food is fabulous, all of it, but the greens are over the top. They are literally the best I have ever had anywhere, and I've had a ton of them from every place the offers them.

special-K 07-14-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8944818)
Tenants are on vacation so I’m redoing the tub/shower . Went with a fiberglass tub and walls . Should be installed tomorrow if I work to about 9 tonight.

That should be trouble-free for you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8944864)
There is a little neighborhood church across the street from the old shop location, where I used to work. They have a "soul food" kitchen that is open every day and does fish frys on Friday/Saturday nights. The food is fabulous, all of it, but the greens are over the top. They are literally the best I have ever had anywhere, and I've had a ton of them from every place the offers them.

MmmmI love me some cooked greens. Long and low with plenty of other good stuff for mo' flava! Keep that lid on!! :cuss:

72c20customcamper 07-15-2021 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Didn’t go easy but then again what ever does. Walls were out of plumb and not square so I had to cut and replace two and furred out the wet side . So all good now tomorrow Sheetrock and the shower doors. The doors are curved to match the tub . Tenants will have a nice bathroom there than I did for 25 years

1slo64 07-16-2021 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a nice pellet smoker from Lowes for half off because an employee left them outside in the rain.

72c20customcamper 07-16-2021 05:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Putting my new table saw together went into my old toolbox and found a whole set of these. Think it’s 6 mm to 22mm . Old school ratchet wrench made in USA too but they are like 40 years old. Old saw just crapped out that was a good 20 years out of it though Makita . Bought a Metabo 10 inch

72c20customcamper 07-16-2021 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get’n me a woodchuck later . Little someb been antagonizing me . Every time I go out the back door there he is chewin on the wood steps