The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

hamjet 05-13-2015 06:06 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

you're right about cruizing speed, its nice seeing the RPMs a lot lower..

matthamby 05-14-2015 11:17 AM

New to the forum! Will have lots of questions! I have my Grandpa's 1970 C-10 that he bought new, so I'm the second owner!

Last Saturday I got some used tires put on some rims I got off craig's list for $150 - I had to replace 2 rims that were so rusted they wouldn't hold air for more than a few minutes. It took me forever to find some rims that would fit that wouldn't break the bank!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...psyuovpbuj.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...psj0ewfhfx.jpg

I was hoping that the tires that were on the rims were good enough to use to roll around to start working on the old girl, but no dice! I'm hoping to have her on the road in the next couple of weeks. I will start a thread to show progress and ask questions!

In The Ten Ring 05-14-2015 10:20 PM

Fuel lines adjusted, flared, and installed! I have the in-cab connected to the frame line but stopped as it was getting late. I'll install the fuel shutoff valve tomorrow.

*And get pics.

Saclandman 05-14-2015 11:08 PM

Bolted up my seat, installed my new 3-point seat belts, got my bed bolted down to the frame, installed my new core support, installed my new inner fender on the pass. side, got all the gauges and lights working correctly, and hung my new plates.

Unfortunately, all that was done in my head without even touching the truck. Darn job and responsibilities.

Ol 67 C10 05-15-2015 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I pushed mine outside and finally got my cab off the frame to get started on the rust repair. Will take some more pics tomorrow.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-15-2015 12:11 AM

Ordered five NOS lenses. Almost done buying NOS parts for cosmetics (exterior/interior/under hood). Just 3-4 pieces to go. Four if I can find a better part. Other than that piece, everything I've bought is in mint order, and I've picked up maybe 45 pieces over the last two months. All but three pieces are mint/NOS, one was replaced, one may be replaced and the other is good enough (a.k.a., I'm not blowing $300 for a mint fan shroud).

That and the painter called. He's coming over Saturday to discuss me dropping the bed off at his place. Looks like I'll have a rear frame to do, real soon. Will be nice to do some real work on this. I have this coming over the next 2-3 years. Hopefully three.

1. Drop bed off with body dude.

2. Have someone remove welded parts from rear frame (5th wheel and receiver hitch support). Grind/sand to perfect.

3. I'll prep and paint the rear frame.

4. Arrange for someone to rebuild/install steering box.

5. Hire someone to help me remove parts for removing the cab. I'm green, but will ask to help and learn. Remove interior down to metal.

6. Body dude and I mark and dismantle the body and windows. Load body (including cab) up onto a trailer and drop it off at his place............May have to move this stuff twice before bringing it home for reassembly. Once at his place and once at the paint booth.

7. I'll dismantle the front end and rebuild. Hit all accessibles, frame etc. Engine compartment was done with the engine rebuild, so a "novice's frame off". I'll also restore the inner fenders also, motor mounts etc..

8. Reassemble the truck with body dude.

9. Attach 28 pieces of molding with body dude. Weather stripping etc., mirrors, reassemble the interior. Probably have to drill for the moldings after paint and assembly, due to the cab mounts being shot.

10. Hire someone to help re install parts for the cab removal (maybe hire). New gas tank. Add new wire harnesses, re-install the A/C and get the window wash system like new.

11. Then I methodically install grill, bumpers, heat stove and final touches.

12. Blow another $1600-$2000 on tires and wheels, call it done.

I'm actually taking notes. Ha!

In The Ten Ring 05-15-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saclandman (Post 7172484)
Bolted up my seat, installed my new 3-point seat belts, got my bed bolted down to the frame, installed my new core support, installed my new inner fender on the pass. side, got all the gauges and lights working correctly, and hung my new plates.

Unfortunately, all that was done in my head without even touching the truck. Darn job and responsibilities.

That was so funny! I was thinking "he did all that and all I got done in 6 hours was tweaking and flaring my fuel lines????" :lol: :lol: :lol:

zellway 05-15-2015 08:28 AM

Welcome! :welcoem: Always nice to see new people join in the addiction....Hobby. :lol: Any questions you have ask away or use the "search" option. Just about anything you can think of someone has asked or done a good wright up on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7171597)
New to the forum! Will have lots of questions! I have my Grandpa's 1970 C-10 that he bought new, so I'm the second owner!

Last Saturday I got some used tires put on some rims I got off craig's list for $150 - I had to replace 2 rims that were so rusted they wouldn't hold air for more than a few minutes. It took me forever to find some rims that would fit that wouldn't break the bank!

I was hoping that the tires that were on the rims were good enough to use to roll around to start working on the old girl, but no dice! I'm hoping to have her on the road in the next couple of weeks. I will start a thread to show progress and ask questions!

Ol 67 C10 05-15-2015 11:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some updates on the rust repair. Got both front cab mounts replaced. Next it will be going on the rotisserie.

Ol 67 C10 05-15-2015 11:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

ole dollor 05-16-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7171597)

having grand pa's truck is way cool, welcome to the forum from Texas, you will learn a bunch from these great guys, first make it safe and have fun with it , I like it already ..... Don

In The Ten Ring 05-16-2015 04:59 AM

This is for last night: I fell out with the lights still on!

Yesterday was a big day: I got the rest of the new fuel line hooked up, all that is left is one minor adjustment and to put the carb back on and hook up the throttle and choke cables.

I got the gas tank lined back up and bolted down and hooked up the vent lines. All that is left there is to hook up the tank to the vent system (ran out of hose) and to hook up the charcoal canister.

The very next sunny day when I have at least one helper, I can heat up and put in the new rubber mat and if that fits well, put the seat back in. That will complete the cab and allow me to move on to the front end. I'll edit with pics later.

Bowtiguy 05-16-2015 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally, tore down as far as shes going to get. Suspension parts are off the the blaster to save me some time. Once the firewall is patched up and painted I get to start putting all my NoLimitEngineering parts back on.

Bowtiguy 05-16-2015 02:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
these babies showed up last week too...

TR6060 out of a 14' SS Camaro with 1,400 miles

LC9 from a 13' Silverado w/ 12K miles

Taking the weekend off while the family is in town. Back at it again on Monday!

67Slider 05-16-2015 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shined her up and drove her around. Might drop her into car show tomorrow.
Attachment 1403824

matthamby 05-16-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 7174124)
having grand pa's truck is way cool, welcome to the forum from Texas, you will learn a bunch from these great guys, first make it safe and have fun with it , I like it already ..... Don

Yeah, my dad had a 72 Cheyenne when I was 14 till 17, I wanted it, but I ended up with an 85 cavalier, when he sold it, the transmission was messed up, so having this one is great for both reasons, grandpa bought this one new, it was a work horse, hardly a straight piece of sheet metal on it. It now has a 305 (engine swap in the late 80's), 3 on the tree, drums all the way around.

I have a good friend who is a "master" ford technician, he does a lot of work for others, he has got me a 350, turbo 400 & power steering box, just holding onto them till we are ready to put it all in, right now I'm just wanting to get it on the road and start using the old girl! I went to a junk yard today and found some nice seats in a suburban (leather, power w/heat) I couldn't get them pulled, the seats wouldn't move to allow me to get to the bolts, that's ok though, the center seat was missing, those are pretty common, I should be able to find more. I am going to create a thread to show my progress, even though it's going to be extremely slow! Thanks for the comments and for the encouragement!
Posted via Mobile Device

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-16-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Slider (Post 7174584)
Shined her up and drove her around. Might drop her into car show tomorrow.
Attachment 1403824

She's a beauty

In The Ten Ring 05-17-2015 02:09 AM

Made some fuel line adjustments. Mainly just added extra hose to cushion possible rub points. Also finished up the vent line.

In The Ten Ring 05-17-2015 06:23 PM

I found some parts I didn't realize I had, including a sending unit wire clip! OMGosh I have a member mailing me two of those since I didn't think I had any. :dum: I'm an idiot.

I also found some carb parts I had totally forgotten about so now all of those are soaking in Evaporust.

matthamby 05-18-2015 10:03 PM

Bought some 2006 Silverado Seats to put in C10 - $120 craig's list

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...psqlljjege.jpg

mud.man.rj 05-18-2015 10:27 PM

Not bad seats for $120, going to recover them or a set of covers, nice to have the center console.

DdowC20 05-18-2015 10:32 PM

Yesterday I broke the key off in the ignition and today I got it started using a screwdriver. And I tried to retire the trailer light connector that was not hooked up right the first time. It almost seems like I have too many green wires.... Tomorrow I will attack again!
Posted via Mobile Device

In The Ten Ring 05-18-2015 11:08 PM

Keep after it DdowC20!

I got some more stuff together for my electrolytic derusting tanks and wired the first one up. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Woodnears 05-18-2015 11:12 PM

Got my truck to go up and down with the push of a button. Pretty big milestone.
Of course it took me a few days to run all the wiring. Ran all he stainless braided fuel line and plumbed in the fuel pump. Drilled and tapped a couple dozen 5x.8 metric mounting holes to mount said fuel line and air line. Only broke a few taps in the process. I'm getting closer and closer by the day to driving this thing.

RustyBucket 05-18-2015 11:47 PM

My Daughter & I took the Blazer out and blasted around late yesterday afternoon. Ran it pretty hard and flipped the power steering belt off. 255/50R/18's steered pretty HARD on the way home. It never did that before. Conveniently the old belt stayed inside the shroud so I can use it as a guide for the replacement.

BlacklandCamper 05-19-2015 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replacing the old turn signal switch, and decided to "fix" my gauge cluster lights while I had everything apart. Got some 10" led strips from work, and ran them along the outside wall of the inner metal frame. I also managed to wire another led strip to the door switches to replace the missing dome light. Not the prettiest fix, but it's better than nothing until I can get a correct replacement assembly.

J & E Speed Center 05-19-2015 05:53 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

In The Ten Ring 05-19-2015 07:45 PM

I ran electrolysis on my radiator hold down brackets. The process works and is cool as all get out, but I guess 2.5 hours isn't enough time. Not a lot of rust came off although a good bit was on the sacrificial steel. It did remove most of the paint though.

I'll try again tomorrow and go for 12 hours running time.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psk1jforgr.jpg

BlacklandCamper 05-19-2015 10:54 PM

Cluster is done and installed, turn signal switch is in, but when I indicate only one side flashes. Oddly enough, it's the same side regardless of which direction I indicate. Also, the right arrow on the dash lights up when I step on the brakes.

Odd.

mud.man.rj 05-19-2015 11:01 PM

Could be a ground problem but have run into the harness plugs corroding inside and jumping over to another post a few times now.

mud.man.rj 05-19-2015 11:02 PM

Forgot to mention located most of the way down pas side frame rail just above diff area.

BlacklandCamper 05-20-2015 12:46 PM

The funny thing is that the turn signals flashed correctly before this, I only replaced the switch due to the springs breaking. Which gave me automatic signals, I turn the wheel, they flash that direction. I'm not doubting a possible issue along the frame, since the brake lights have been iffy. Sometimes both work, sometimes only the driver side, or passenger side.

stepsider 05-20-2015 07:06 PM

Just picked a 71 GMC Stepside, Love them stepsides. A lot of little things to do. Well I order a American autowire 67-72 complete wiring kit. I looked at the old wiring that everyone & their brother had mess with & said replace the hold thing. The hardest thing was enlarging the panel/fuse box hole. So far no problems Everything plugs or snaps in. Taking my time & trying not to muckup.
Day one all is well.

Saclandman 05-20-2015 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed my 3-point seat belts and bolted up my bench seat. Vac-ed out the whole cab. Much cleaner now. Then drove it around the farm. Found that I can't shift down while in motion. Guess my clutch needs some more adjustment.

In The Ten Ring 05-20-2015 08:53 PM

I ran electrolysis on a radiator bracket for 9 hours and now have it in some left over Evaporust. I also did a lot of discussing with other members (Fitz) about how better to remove surface rust and get ready for the part to be painted.

outdoorsman310 05-20-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saclandman (Post 7179935)
Installed my 3-point seat belts and bolted up my bench seat. Vac-ed out the whole cab. Much cleaner now. Then drove it around the farm. Found that I can't shift down while in motion. Guess my clutch needs some more adjustment.

i usually shift with no clutch but sounds like it

Ol 67 C10 05-21-2015 12:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the progress. Got her on the rotisserie this evening and got a good start on the drivers side!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-21-2015 01:21 AM

Received:

Balance of hardware for the moldings. NOS Only need one (or two if I can find better) trim pieces (upper tailgate) for the complete upper/lower sides and tailgate.

One NOS LH back-up lens. Mint

One NOS red deluxe. Mint.

One NOS amber deluxe. Still in the package, but can't say I'm thrilled. It's nice, but there's small flaw in the trim. I believe they have a marker for that. With that and the others I have an 8-piece NOS lens set I won't use. Package deals, etc., and changed my mind about the deluxe (learning curve, SS-education)......Going to use standard markers instead.

Two NOS park lenses. Mint and marked 1971. I should receive the standard red markers by the end of the week, and with those I'll have all ten lenses for my build. NOS but one (amber marker), though it's real nice. The price on 6 of the lenses was great, with the tails being absurdly cheap. They have the correct 71 markings too. Marked 67 seems to be much more common.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-21-2015 10:03 PM

Picked up an NOS rear mirror bracket today. Same price as the repro. I bought last year. Another education.

VWNate1 05-21-2015 11:03 PM

Got a 'phone call from the Paint Jail to - day , he says he's painting my hub caps and rear bumper , I think he expects me to pick it up this Holiday weekend ~ yeah right .

Apparently he's given up on installing the HVAC or connecting the electrical , that's O.K. as I don't trust anyone else to do it correctly .

Wait'll I post pix of the shiny new paint ;) .