The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Boshears 07-20-2018 01:46 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58APACHEE (Post 8305052)
Made a couple of Stainless Steel 1/4" thk "FLEETSIDE" emblems for my 58.:metal: if anyone is interested in a pair let me know

They look good.

58APACHEE 07-20-2018 01:48 PM

thx ... just got to machine them down to look more like the originals then polish them.

Boshears 07-20-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58APACHEE (Post 8305208)
thx ... just got to machine them down to look more like the originals then polish them.

Do you do any for a 48?

MARTINSR 07-20-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58APACHEE (Post 8305189)
MARTINSR Like?

I am not sure, Cameo' but not the originals, a different font?

Brian

58APACHEE 07-20-2018 01:57 PM

Boshears send me a pic and ill let you, know i see why not tho
material?

58APACHEE 07-20-2018 01:57 PM

MARTINSR sure just send me a pic with the size, font and material

58APACHEE 07-20-2018 02:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made my own version of the Lokar 350 shifter bracket and cover for my series 60 B&M shifter.:metal:

oldman3 07-20-2018 03:10 PM

Nice bracket...Jim

58APACHEE 07-20-2018 03:23 PM

oldman3 thx

MiraclePieCo 07-20-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8304989)
anyone know what size socket I need to remove factory running board bolts? I remember them being a common size but I don't want to get out to the yard and find they are a star bolt or something.

Just took my '51 running boards off - they were 1/4-20 carriage bolts, however I have no idea if that's original or not.

MiraclePieCo 07-20-2018 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't face another day of adjusting fenders, so a appeased myself with an easy job - installing the front hood emblem.

I just picked up this emblem off Craigslist last night and I'm very pleased with how it blends with my truck. I'd tried a brand new one but it was too shiny and conspicuous for the "old truck" theme of my build. It's not a rat rod, but I do want it to show it's age and "experience."

mikebte 07-20-2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58APACHEE (Post 8305052)
Made a couple of Stainless Steel 1/4" thk "FLEETSIDE" emblems for my 58.:metal: if anyone is interested in a pair let me know

Looks nice, I bet one that said Chevrolet would look nice on a glovebox door or on the interior

Clay54 07-20-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8305393)
Just took my '51 running boards off - they were 1/4-20 carriage bolts, however I have no idea if that's original or not.

MiraclePieCo, I think my running boards are stock in all ways on my '54 and the nuts on the 1/4 inch bolts are square. Had to make a special socket to get them off. My factory assembly manual shows the nut to be GM part 131395 nut but I don't have a cross reference so not sure what that nut is in real life.

MARTINSR 07-21-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58APACHEE (Post 8305215)
MARTINSR sure just send me a pic with the size, font and material

Interesting thought!

Brian

MARTINSR 07-21-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8305399)
Couldn't face another day of adjusting fenders, so a appeased myself with an easy job - installing the front hood emblem.

I just picked up this emblem off Craigslist last night and I'm very pleased with how it blends with my truck. I'd tried a brand new one but it was too shiny and conspicuous for the "old truck" theme of my build. It's not a rat rod, but I do want it to show it's age and "experience."

Perfect!

Brian:metal:

MARTINSR 07-21-2018 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put in my five minutes on the truck cleaning up under the dash and going to spray some rust magic stuff and then found holes in the floor! Geeeez, more welding, I am telling you I am NEVER going to say I am done welding on this cab.
But again, thought I would cut it out and make the easy patch, and that would be it, I took another step and another and got it finished completely, it's like it never existed. :D

Brian

Jesse Z 07-21-2018 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay54 (Post 8305456)
MiraclePieCo, I think my running boards are stock in all ways on my '54 and the nuts on the 1/4 inch bolts are square. Had to make a special socket to get them off. My factory assembly manual shows the nut to be GM part 131395 nut but I don't have a cross reference so not sure what that nut is in real life.

Lol, for square nuts my "special tool" is a crescent wrench ;) Or a blow torch.

Clay54 07-21-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Z (Post 8305523)
Lol, for square nuts my "special tool" is a crescent wrench ;) Or a blow torch.

Ha ha, Crescent wrench will not fit in the "U" shape step hanger. Blow torch maybe.

mikebte 07-21-2018 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the old headliner with only 2 cuts in my hand from the sheet metal. Liner is in great shape, I feel bad pitchING it. Clean and installed Thermo-tec and Dynaliner. Waiting on fabric for new liner.

Welded up almost all of the exhaust, few bits remain. Installed all the new sensors going to the new gauges.

I'm beet...

evilokc 07-21-2018 07:42 PM

met a guy out at the truck yard who wanted to buy a coupe of parts off the parts 53. he took some but the running boards wouldn't come off. after removing all the bolts we got down to find they have been tack welded on. wtf dudes. I didn't have a grinder with me. im going to go out tomorrow and cut the welds off. it was 99 degrees in the shade today. drove my truck to the gym this morning and then to the truck yard to meet the guy. the death rattle is a hit every where we go. running great

MARTINSR 07-22-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8305931)
met a guy out at the truck yard who wanted to buy a coupe of parts off the parts 53. he took some but the running boards wouldn't come off. after removing all the bolts we got down to find they have been tack welded on. wtf dudes. I didn't have a grinder with me. im going to go out tomorrow and cut the welds off. it was 99 degrees in the shade today. drove my truck to the gym this morning and then to the truck yard to meet the guy. the death rattle is a hit every where we go. running great

WOW, yeah that's a bummer.

Brian

MARTINSR 07-22-2018 12:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Today I got out to the driveway to get the Rambler control arm swap job done, I have to make a spring tool to get them out, very unique, I will make it tomorrow. Had to get over to a friends house to help him get his two post into a his moving truck (yes HIS truck, he bought it to move all his car stuff) and got that done, spent the day there. That is a whole nother subject.

Got back home, and HAD to get out to the garage and actually got a lot done cleaning up the floor on the truck getting her ready for primer.

My favorite part of the day was watching my little sweetie (she is 17) cleaning the windows in her "new" car that she just drove for the first time yesterday. I am so glad I was able to get this car for her, it's like new inside, very nice. I put "Lady Soul" by Aretha Franklin in the deck so she can have a memory for the rest of her life when she hears those songs of the first days of driving her first car. She is such a sweetie and she deserves so much.

Brian

mikebte 07-22-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8306097)
Today I got out to the driveway to get the Rambler control arm swap job done, I have to make a spring tool to get them out, very unique, I will make it tomorrow. Had to get over to a friends house to help him get his two post into a his moving truck (yes HIS truck, he bought it to move all his car stuff) and got that done, spent the day there. That is a whole nother subject.
Brian

Love the rambler, had a guy in high school that drove one identical to that every day, bring back memories.

MARTINSR 07-22-2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8306104)
Love the rambler, had a guy in high school that drove one identical to that every day, bring back memories.

I really enjoy driving it every day. It puts smiles on faces.

Brian

Jesse Z 07-22-2018 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay54 (Post 8305600)
Ha ha, Crescent wrench will not fit in the "U" shape step hanger.

Sigh, must I do everything for you guys? :lol: