The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=635040)

Mike80D 08-14-2021 03:39 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

4 Attachment(s)
I’ll give the thread a nudge, and share mine. Some members will recognize the truck.

67RS/SSx2 08-28-2021 09:51 PM

What was included in the 1972 YG8 'C' option? This is on a black/red-orange truck. What color would the original plaid seat cover be and what else was in that package? All the SPID says is "special promotional" (in addition to "Black/Red Orange).

jocko 08-28-2021 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67RS/SSx2 (Post 8963890)
What was included in the 1972 YG8 'C' option? This is on a black/red-orange truck. What color would the original plaid seat cover be and what else was in that package? All the SPID says is "special promotional" (in addition to "Black/Red Orange).

Truck color had nothing to do with seat cover color. a YG# package truck just happened to include a plaid seat - but the color had to be dealer or buyer-chosen from four different colors. Orange, Avocado, Blue, or Gray. Your interior trim code should tell you what color plaid of the four your truck came with of it's a Custom Deluxe YG package truck.

To see what came in the different packages, see post 38 of this thread. Can you post a picture of your SPID?

Chevyland 08-28-2021 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike80D (Post 8957812)
I’ll give the thread a nudge, and share mine. Some members will recognize the truck.

I remember that truck
It’s came a long way ;)
Glad you got it

67RS/SSx2 08-29-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8963944)
Truck color had nothing to do with seat cover color. a YG# package truck just happened to include a plaid seat - but the color had to be dealer or buyer-chosen from four different colors. Orange, Avocado, Blue, or Gray. Your interior trim code should tell you what color plaid of the four your truck came with of it's a Custom Deluxe YG package truck.

To see what came in the different packages, see post 38 of this thread. Can you post a picture of your SPID?

Thanks for the information Jocko. I have read this thread from beginning to end. It's a long thread. Took a while to read. I am beginning to develop a fondness for the Highlander option package. Guess my memory is not as good as it used to be. Happens as you get older.

It's not my truck...yet, but could possibly be eventually. I think the SPID had "YG820 Special Promotional". It also said "Black/Red Orange" as the color. I had not seen that before. It is currently an orange color body with a black cab. Looks a little different but I am not afraid of orange & black. Especially since it is likely its original color scheme.

It also had the features listed in post #38 for the YG8 option. The SPID also listed custom trim combination (?) and custom deluxe equipment (?). Not sure what those include either.

Seems to not be a rare combination, but an unusual one at the least. I like combinations that are out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the help. This site is a wealth of truck information! It is helping me learn a lot as I shop for my next truck.

jocko 08-29-2021 11:21 AM

The 3 digit RPO code next to Custom Trim Combination will tell you the plaid color - if you get a chance to see the SPID again. Sometimes the color terminology in a Highlander’s trim RPO description will be vague and substitute Custom Trim Combination terminology. The paint code for black and orange is 565 and is considered a “Custom Two Tone” paint offering. It sounds like a great looking truck, hope you are able to get it.

Graham57a 11-23-2021 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Going to look at this one tomorrow with hopes of driving it home

68bowtie 11-24-2021 12:07 AM

Looks like a nice find

jocko 11-24-2021 12:07 AM

SWB Highlanders are rare - does the SPID really show 618 or am I mis-reading it? (i.e. orange plaid)

72Teeroy 11-24-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham57a (Post 8999185)
Going to look at this one tomorrow with hopes of driving it home

Good luck nice looking truck

Graham57a 11-25-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8999193)
SWB Highlanders are rare - does the SPID really show 618 or am I mis-reading it? (i.e. orange plaid)

Wow is that what 618 means? Idk how I feel about that haha. But you are reading correctly, it does say 618.

jocko 11-25-2021 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sure does - GM sometimes just labeled it as Custom Trim, sometimes included the plaid color verbiage, but code is all that matters. That will look pretty cool in a dark olive truck.

59bones 12-10-2021 01:56 PM

I'm wanting to know if it is it OK to post a photo or two here...?

Avocado plaid Highlander interior but not in a Highlander truck. It's in a '74 GMC van and is pretty groovy.

Can someone chime in. Thanks.

HO455 12-11-2021 11:04 AM

I say post away. I've never seen the van plaid before.

59bones 12-12-2021 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Highlander fabric in a 1974 GMC Van.

59bones 12-12-2021 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the back seats.

tidmack 12-12-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59bones (Post 9006337)
One of the back seats.

This is incredibly cool! Thank you for sharing.

HO455 12-12-2021 04:18 PM

So cool!
Who knew?

Ol Blue K20 12-13-2021 10:02 AM

Nice!

IronCanine 12-13-2021 10:21 AM

That is cool.

Mike80D 02-20-2022 04:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here’s a Longhorn that has surfaced near me.

VAPhil 02-20-2022 05:19 PM

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Administrator for help.

If you want to become a "Premium" member I will re-instate your post.

Mike80D 02-20-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAPhil (Post 9037568)
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

If you’re planning on selling I’d leave it as is. Don’t think there’d be much return on investment. If I were planning on keeping it, I’d definitely go back to factory original.

jocko 02-20-2022 07:42 PM

I'd leave it just like it is to sell - odds are the potential buyer could care less and would pay the same price regardless (unless, of course, the buyer is a discerning member of this august board...) - so you could be throwing money into it for nothing. Btw, I don't see YG8 (Pkg C) on the SPID, so appears to just have the plaid seat, which was available without getting a Pkg A, B, C etc. Doesn't matter though, has very nice options so the package doesn't matter.

I know everyone's circumstances are different, and trust me when I tell you that life got in the way and I've sold a few I wish I could get back - but a real swb Highlander in Custom Two Tone 557 is a very, very nice piece of history to hold onto, even without the original engine (currently painted as a 466 Deluxe Two Tone). If you have the option, I'd sure hang onto that one and restore it someday. But completely understand, sometimes ya gotta sell - I only mention it since you said it's your first classic - that's a good first classic to have, and to hang onto ;) (ok, ok, I'm partial to 557 paint... :))
Good luck either way - if you decide to sell, it will go fast, it's a nice one.

Already Gone 02-20-2022 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 9037637)
I'd leave it just like it is to sell - odds are the potential buyer could care less and would pay the same price regardless (unless, of course, the buyer is a discerning member of this august board...) - so you could be throwing money into it for nothing. Btw, I don't see YG8 (Pkg C) on the SPID, so appears to just have the plaid seat, which was available without getting a Pkg A, B, C etc. Doesn't matter though, has very nice options so the package doesn't matter.

I know everyone's circumstances are different, and trust me when I tell you that life got in the way and I've sold a few I wish I could get back - but a real swb Highlander in Custom Two Tone 557 is a very, very nice piece of history to hold onto, even without the original engine (currently painted as a 466 Deluxe Two Tone). If you have the option, I'd sure hang onto that one and restore it someday. But completely understand, sometimes ya gotta sell - I only mention it since you said it's your first classic - that's a good first classic to have, and to hang onto ;) (ok, ok, I'm partial to 557 paint... :))
Good luck either way - if you decide to sell, it will go fast, it's a nice one.

That truck is an Atlanta build and and they didn't add the RPO Codes to the Highlanders. This truck has all the options of RPO Code YG8 which was the top Package of the 3 offered. Gotta thank SSTim for putting this thread and info together.