The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 SWB Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737560)

beaterku 09-27-2018 03:26 PM

Re: 1972 SWB Build

1 Attachment(s)
The first part of the puzzle is back. I bought this 80e from a fellow board member here in KC. He bought it from a local big rig tire service truck. Since I didn't know the complete history of it, I opted to have it gone through. Turns out it was in great condition. Did a full rebuild and added a TransGo HD-2 kit. My builder said it should be good for 800-900hp now. I wanted to build it fairly well while it was out in the event I go with a Procharger or turbos in the future. Easy to do when it is torn apart.

Motor should be done hopefully next week. Same goes with the heads.

beaterku 10-03-2018 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been slowly gathering parts. While talking with Texas Speed, they mentioned that my stock 24lb injectors will not be enough for my build. I did some digging and found a set of injectors from a 2012 6.0 flex fuel. Here is a picture of the stock 25317628 24lb injector on the left, and a flex fuel 12613412 50lb injector on the right. The mounting height is the same. The flex fuel doesn't have the boot on the tip, which as far as I can tell effects nothing. The flex also uses the EV6 connector. Since I am going to buy a harness, I'll just spec it with the EV6 connectors. These will be more than enough for what I am doing and probably will support a small blower in the future.

Motor is almost done
Trans is rebuilt
Heads are almost done
Motor mount adapter plates are on the way

Still need to order some big items. I'm trying to space these out a little to fly them under my wife's radar.
-exhaust manifold or headers. Debating between the hooker cast manifold or tying out a set of the speed engineering shorty headers. The reviews seem favorable on them.
-Boyds tank
-Radiator
-Wiring harness

1971Stepside 10-03-2018 05:31 PM

Glad to see you figured out the direction for your motor and trans. Interested in what the rebuild cost for your 80e. I am crossing my fingers that mine is as good as they said it was and just going with it. If it has problems after I am completed we will pull it then. Next time in the KC area I need to hit you up.

beaterku 10-03-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8356571)
Glad to see you figured out the direction for your motor and trans. Interested in what the rebuild cost for your 80e. I am crossing my fingers that mine is as good as they said it was and just going with it. If it has problems after I am completed we will pull it then. Next time in the KC area I need to hit you up.

It's getting there. Since I didn't have any history on mine, I opted to have to have it gone through. Turns out it was actually in pretty good shape. Now it will last the life of my truck.

Sure thing, I think there are a bunch of us up here. Maybe we can get everyone together.

beaterku 10-08-2018 04:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A little update. I haven't worked on the truck. We had friends in town for my class reunion this past weekend. Trying to find free time has been hard. I did get the heads and a bunch of parts back from Texas Speed.

Heads are the stock 317 heads. I did their stage 1 kit. For my application, the stage 2.5 was not needed. It only flows 6cfm more peak and I don't need the stainless valves. These have PAC dual valve springs, titanium retainers and a full cnc port job. I also have them mill the head .030 to bump the compression closer to 10:1 since I am still using the stock dished LQ4 pistons. I went with their 224r cam.
They came back looking amazing!

The Circle D 2800 stall converter also came in.

Just waiting on the bottom end to come back from the machine shop. I am hoping this week. We shall see.

1971Stepside 10-08-2018 04:22 PM

Wow! Those look great. I too am finding it hard to get much done on the truck lately.

beaterku 10-09-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8359769)
Wow! Those look great. I too am finding it hard to get much done on the truck lately.

Thanks, I think they really knocked it out of the park for the money. Local shop wanted almost half of what texas speed charged to do a valve job and reassembly only.

It seems like there is something going on every day these days. Couple that with the obscene amount of rain we have gotten this week. We are 10" since Saturday with 2 more coming today.

beaterku 10-16-2018 01:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not much progress lately. I spent a few hours cleaning some of the parts before assembly. The front and rear covers, valve covers and valley cover were disgusting. Gave the trans the wire brush treatment. Motor is supposed to be done at the end of this week. I have started gathering more and more parts. Trying to keep most of it under the wife's radar.

Hopefully have some more progress soon.

beaterku 10-23-2018 05:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No real progress. Last weekend was a bust and I've had my IT had on at work the last 2 weeks. I have been amassing more parts. I've got a truckload of new Delco parts for the motor, alternator, water pump, gaskets etc... ) that showed up this morning.

Last night a about 5:30 I got a call that my shortblock was done. So I scooted up there at lunch today and picked it up. She's so shinny and clean now. No surprises in side. Just did a quick hone job. Stock dished pistons, stock rods and crank. New clevite bearings throughout. She's all wrapped up and snug as a bug in a rug.

I've got to remove the inner wheel wells to have them powdercoated as well as the bling bling stainless battery tray I bought. I didn't realize it was going to come so shinny. Too much for me, so it's going to be satin black like the fenders. I still need to remove the fuel lines, but that requires emptying the fuel tank first. So I may tackle that one night this week.

Sorry, just rambling...

mcbassin 10-25-2018 07:54 AM

Looks like you have everything going the right direction on this build.

beaterku 10-25-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8371372)
Looks like you have everything going the right direction on this build.

Thanks! I've got 8 weeks to get this wrapped us so it's crunch time!

redneckgames 10-25-2018 10:28 AM

Good looking truck, interesting build.

beaterku 10-25-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckgames (Post 8371461)
Good looking truck, interesting build.

Thanks!

beaterku 10-29-2018 12:49 PM

I feel like I am not making progress but things are getting done. I am finally to the point where the motor can go in. I am going to start assembling the motor this week. Finally!

beaterku 11-05-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent a few hours on the truck this morning. I buttoned up the long block. Everything went to plan with no hiccups. I ran out of time and I wasn't feeling to great so I called it a day. Hopefully smooth sailing from here.

Here is the latest YouTube update:

Stickman 11-05-2018 12:42 PM

Very Nice

beaterku 11-13-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 8378198)
Very Nice

Thanks!

beaterku 11-13-2018 03:53 PM

Made a little more progress this weekend. Still running low on energy. Damn sickness. I was able to get the oil pump shimmed and installed as well as the front cover. I spent most of my time in the shop cleaning. Can't have a messy shop.

beaterku 11-20-2018 04:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The motor is assembled and ready to put in the truck. Finally! I decided at the 11th hour to clean up the trans a little and dust a coat of cast aluminum paint on. A buddy showed me a pretty trick way to make it look like it is not painted. I think it turned our great. It looks like really clean cast aluminum now. I had the wait for the paint to dry, otherwise it would have been all together as a unit. The plan is to remove the grille and core support tonight so I can slide the engine/trans in as a unit. Much easier to do by myself.

I am going to order the radiator, boyd tank, dakota guages and a few other odds and ends this afternoon. Black Friday sales!

Low Elco 11-20-2018 06:14 PM

What's the trick? I have to paint one soon.

1971Stepside 11-20-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

I am going to order the radiator, boyd tank, dakota guages and a few other odds and ends this afternoon
Please order two of each....HA!

beaterku 11-21-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8388493)
What's the trick? I have to paint one soon.

So what he does is blast or clean the part throughly. He then dusts the part with vht cast coat flat aluminum paint and literally wipes it off with a rag. This seals the pores on the cast and keeps the cast color. It was pretty trick. He does it to all of his cast parts. Turned out really well on the trans and alternator bracket. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8388521)
Please order two of each....HA!

Haha. One of each was hard enough on my wallet. I placed the order this afternoon. That’s the last of the big parts. A lot of nickel and dime parts left.

1971Stepside 11-22-2018 11:20 AM

I saw Boyd’s was having a sale with free shipping. I went ahead and ordered my tank. What radiator did you go with? Fans?

beaterku 11-22-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8389785)
I saw Boyd’s was having a sale with free shipping. I went ahead and ordered my tank. What radiator did you go with? Fans?

I got in on the sale as well. I went with an Entropy with fans. I bought it all from Travis at Pro Performance. They make it so easy. It was a package deal.

beaterku 11-26-2018 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The motor is in. We had a blizzard forcasted to come in on Sunday so we hoofed it and got the motor in on Saturday. Everything went smooth. The only problem was my mistake, I put the motor mounts in the wrong place on the adapter plates. Easy fix.