The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

shortbed70 08-05-2009 08:09 PM

Re: MY build thread...

Protrash ...very true I have done small repairs and helped on my old truck but this one I have to save money and I want to learn like I have everything else and get my hands dirty.

daverod.... Thanks its been kickin me in the pants but its gettin there. Are you shaving the seam on the hood also? I have prolly about 10hrs just on the seam of the hood to get it where it is. It blocks out good but we'll see what it looks like after another coat of primer. I am hoping to get through priming the cab soon so I can start on the bed!!! I am working on the drivers door now and as soon as I can get some wire I can finish welding the patch in and work the whole door from top to bottom.

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

daverod 08-05-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3449383)
Protrash ...very true I have done small repairs and helped on my old truck but this one I have to save money and I want to learn like I have everything else and get my hands dirty.

daverod.... Thanks its been kickin me in the pants but its gettin there. Are you shaving the seam on the hood also? I have prolly about 10hrs just on the seam of the hood to get it where it is. It blocks out good but we'll see what it looks like after another coat of primer. I am hoping to get through priming the cab soon so I can start on the bed!!! I am working on the drivers door now and as soon as I can get some wire I can finish welding the patch in and work the whole door from top to bottom.

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Ya I welded my seam on my hood. It went well untill I started getting into alittle rust. I'm sure you know how that goes. I haven't worked on it for awhile my last thing I did was to weld up all the pin holes so it's solid metal. I was looking at Allans and it pissed me off because his looked perfect. Mine does look a lot better now I'm glad I took the time to weld on it some more. I ground it all down and now I'm to the point of putting filler on it. I spend most my time working on my bedsides they were a mess. Starting to look a lot better though. I'm in no rush. It all about learning how to do it for me.;)

shortbed70 08-09-2009 11:48 AM

Well my progress this weekend was getting older just triped 30 so I'm treating myself with the weekend off. Might order myself some parts.

Alan's Classic 08-09-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3454933)
Well my progress this weekend was getting older just triped 30 so I'm treating myself with the weekend off. Might order myself some parts.

Happy birthday, while your at it order 2 of everything. I need some stuff. I don't care what it is, just need stuff.:lol: Enjoy your break.

shortbed70 08-15-2009 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well as usual I get extra money and an extra bill comes up.....SO today I got my cab completely primed outside hopefully for the last time and rolled it outside for the first time since I brought it home. I'm getting closer to having the cab done I just have to get the drivers door fixed and epoxy prime the inside of the cab and then firewall time. Heres a few from my phone.

shortbed70 08-20-2009 11:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well haven't done much but here are some pics motor is done just need oil and make sure everything is good then video... Heres part of my rad shroud for my electric fan I just need metal for the front and weld it on and cut a hole. Been working side jobs that I dont normally do like electrical but I'm learning new things and I still hate electric work but pays well and have to paint a house this weekend,yea! Sorry about the first two pics dont have my lights hung yet where my motor is.

shortbed70 08-26-2009 09:33 PM

Motor is ALIVE!!!!!! Video tomarrow but cant run long no radiator yet. Interior is going to get epoxyed tomarrow I hope and I'll get pics. Now I can put a cover over the motor and wait.

1964C10 08-27-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3486469)
Motor is ALIVE!!!!!! Video tomarrow but cant run long no radiator yet. Interior is going to get epoxyed tomarrow I hope and I'll get pics. Now I can put a cover over the motor and wait.

Well now that you have it running you are shipping it to me right? :lol:

Looking good! when is it going in the truck?

shortbed70 08-27-2009 10:45 PM

Well I'll give it too you free but shipping will be around $5000.00 LOL. I want to put it in now but I need to do the firewall work first and I need to get the hood and inner fenders off first. Maybe a few weeks before I can mess with it cause this weekend I have to work and memorial weekend I'm going to OK to see my uncle. I have been working on my friends cutlass that has bags on it and had to fab a bracket for a air pump run off the motor that has kicked my but for the past two weeks and the fact that I need a door skin for the drivers door kind of put me in a slump. I'll get back too it this weekend. Didn't get anything done on it toay had to finish the mount for my buddy.

joe231 08-28-2009 08:29 AM

Where are you going in Ok?

shortbed70 08-28-2009 08:41 PM

Broken arrow. We haven't decided if were going or not now.

shortbed70 08-29-2009 04:58 PM

Cab is seam seald inside and out just ned to pull the hood and clean under there then epoxy prime it and inside cab. If I get done painting this house early enough tomarrow I am going to try to get that done. Still no video of motor yet though.

shortbed70 08-31-2009 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well made some progress on my drivers door. Bodyline was way off so I cut it out and made a piece on my garage floor with a hammer,flatip screwdriver and a piece of angle iron. I would've had to put a ton of mud to build it up so I improvised...

joe231 08-31-2009 10:29 PM

nice work!

shortbed70 08-31-2009 10:39 PM

Saves me 119.00 for a door skin for that small piece. Thanks! This is why I do this myself so when people ask I have pics to back up my work. I'm kind of starting a scrap book of the build.

198plus 08-31-2009 10:49 PM

Nice work........;)

shortbed70 09-01-2009 05:47 PM

Thanks 198 hows yours coming along?

1964C10 09-01-2009 08:59 PM

Man that is nice work on the door! I have a dent in my door in that same spot, I might just try that technique. Thanks for sharing!

shortbed70 09-01-2009 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well got a hair in my you know... and got some stuff done today too since the weather is nice. Here you go. I need some stuff and I'm running out of supplies and money to buy them. I am going to start filling all the holes in the firewall tomarrow night.

protrash64 09-01-2009 09:53 PM

Good job s/b70 :metal::metal:......going for the smooth look? Me likey!!

shortbed70 09-01-2009 10:00 PM

Yea nothing like 100's of hours of welding sanding priming repeat just to put your own little custom touch on something...:metal:

Alan's Classic 09-01-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3497168)
Yea nothing like 100's of hours of welding sanding priming repeat just to put your own little custom touch on something...:metal:

Most people just don't understand why it takes so long to do a restoration.:sumo: BTW very nice work and progress. :metal:

shortbed70 09-02-2009 05:52 PM

Thats why every pic I post I have saved in a file on my computer so when I'm done I can scrap book the whole build and display it for people to see whats involved. I always like looking through them at shows but being young most people dont see me as doing these type of things so I have proof. Thanks alan means alot coming from you. I love your build cant wait to see it done.

Alan's Classic 09-02-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3498650)
Thats why every pic I post I have saved in a file on my computer so when I'm done I can scrap book the whole build and display it for people to see whats involved. I always like looking through them at shows but being young most people dont see me as doing these type of things so I have proof. Thanks alan means alot coming from you. I love your build cant wait to see it done.

Me too, maybe I can get my head back in the game before long.

Bugeyev8 09-03-2009 12:09 AM

wow...I am new to this site and its amazing how much talent is here, I am rebuilding the 62 I have and it I am always inspired after seeing what all you guys do here, I have metal skills and welding..but the progress for me is very slow...I do this crap for a living so I hate to do it when I get free time, Thanks for sharing this progress with us, I started on my fenders and cowl corners and have them all stripped, just need to tig the repair panels in and get some bondo flying !!