The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   20" Truck Rally Wheels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489700)

tubbedII 10-28-2011 04:05 PM

Re: 20" Truck Rally Wheels

I don't think the change is noticable to matter...if this saves a ton on production cost, I would say it's well worth it.

71sierragrande 10-28-2011 04:20 PM

The center caps look good on five and six lug. One thing worries me, though. I think alot of guys that like rallies also like a smaller wheel and more tire. That may hurt demand a little. But good luck with it, its a great idea and I hope you are able to get these made.

gearheads78 10-28-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne (Post 4978419)
I dont agree at all. Lots of people like the same style of wheels. Look how many Torque Thrust style wheel variants are out there. I bet AR has sold 100,000 TT2 wheel sets and they're still sweet! I have been talking to a few mfg.'s and know around what it will cost to tool and build. If I cant sell enough, I wont build them. But anyone who is going to spend $700 each for wheels isnt going to buy these anyway, they'll be buying Billet Specialties or something. These are not going to be built in Billet. I think that would take away from the look of the rally wheel. A billet wheel would look dumb with a trim ring and a rally wheel center cap screwed to it. Just my opinion.

I wish you luck and if I get in the position that I can I'd be interested in a set myself but if you are really compairing this wheel to the TT2 then you need to rethink it. TT2 goes on all makes and models. You are limited only to people building 5 on 5 chevy 1/2 ton trucks. You are then limited to people who want 20" wheels then you are limited to people who like Rally wheels enough to buy 20" version of them. I truely wish you luck and hope this works out for you but I just want make sure you have fully thought out your business model.

74baggedbug 10-28-2011 05:00 PM

With the center cap you can have the wheels redrilled to fit alot more vehicles or run adapters.. I can't wait till these are available for sale
Posted via Mobile Device

tubbedII 10-28-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74baggedbug (Post 4978742)
With the center cap you can have the wheels redrilled to fit alot more vehicles or run adapters.. I can't wait till these are available for sale
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the caps are also 5x5 for the 5 luggers...

74baggedbug 10-28-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbedII (Post 4978806)
I think the caps are also 5x5 for the 5 luggers...

Yea I thought about that after I posted ... Sorry
Posted via Mobile Device

steemin_ehman 10-28-2011 06:06 PM

Your right, it is a tricky market. I'm not sure what 1972SuperCheyenne's business plan is, but I hope it goes through, because I'm sure interested in a set. I'm proud to be apart of the design!!

STOCKISH 10-28-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheads78 (Post 4978679)
I wish you luck and if I get in the position that I can I'd be interested in a set myself but if you are really compairing this wheel to the TT2 then you need to rethink it. TT2 goes on all makes and models. You are limited only to people building 5 on 5 chevy 1/2 ton trucks. You are then limited to people who want 20" wheels then you are limited to people who like Rally wheels enough to buy 20" version of them. I truely wish you luck and hope this works out for you but I just want make sure you have fully thought out your business model.

I am not comparing them to a TT2, just saying that it doesnt matter how many people have a certain wheel. Like the 15 inch version, people like the wheel because of the timeless design. We are just putting a modern spin on them. These will fit 5x5 trucks and 6x5.5 trucks. And thankfully there are millions of them out there still being restored or driven daily. Hopefully the market will be big enough. If not, my financial situation after spending the cash to ge tthis going might not be too good! :lol:

STOCKISH 10-28-2011 06:19 PM

Kyle, the center cap is perfect like that. Love it!

gearheads78 10-28-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steemin_ehman (Post 4978838)
Your right, it is a tricky market. I'm not sure what 1972SuperCheyenne's business plan is, but I hope it goes through, because I'm sure interested in a set. I'm proud to be apart of the design!!

You are doing an incredible job on the design work. The proportions are perfect.

steemin_ehman 10-28-2011 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheads78 (Post 4978860)
You are doing an incredible job on the design work. The proportions are perfect.

Thanks! I'm working hard to get the proportions right - even cut a wheel in half... It was the easiest way to get the profile. Poor wheel. A sacrifice never forgotten:waah:

STOCKISH 10-28-2011 08:00 PM

Poor thing, I have one like that at the shop too!

stealthy '69 10-28-2011 08:06 PM

Sacrificed for the greater good. I'd love to have a set of the 20" rally's.

moestruck 11-04-2011 04:12 PM

Glad I found this thread, definitely interested in the 6 lug bolt pattern.

muthstryker 11-04-2011 06:34 PM

Went as far as cutting a wheel in half to make sure its perfect!! This cannot fall through, no turning back now, this HAS to be done!!

skunkwerx 11-04-2011 10:54 PM

I would want some!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 12-01-2011 09:36 AM

Updates?

jeffg1010 12-01-2011 09:51 PM

I just read through all six pages and I gotta say, I'd love to see them get produced. I've thought for a long time that someone should make larger size rally wheels. It's good to see other like minded individuals making it happen.
I am on board to see where this leads!

steemin_ehman 12-02-2011 11:15 PM

Still having issues finding a manufacturer to commit the last I heard... I hope these get produced!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

STOCKISH 12-07-2011 12:50 PM

Definately having a hard time having these made in steel. (In the US)However, I have a MFG (U.S)who says they could potentially make them in aluminum. They would have the trim ring and center cap replicated on the wheel and be all one piece. I am going to ship them a Rally with the cap and ring and they are going to scan it and see about the production in aluminum. I am wondering if they look really close, would the market be the same, better, or worse. I like the idea of a 20" Rally thats all one piece and super light compared to the steel version.
They may also be able to build it so factory caps can be installed and diamond cut the lip to give it a luster to duplicate the stainless trim rings.
Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks for bearing with me fellas, this really takes alot to get rolling.

black_sheep454 12-07-2011 01:08 PM

Aluminum would be great for weight and being able to polish them but think it would look better if the trim rings and centers were separate pieces so I would be easier to paint the wheels and look more original.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 12-07-2011 02:01 PM

I would need to see a concept picture or a prototype before I could make a decision.

Hardball 12-07-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne (Post 5052730)
Definately having a hard time having these made in steel. (In the US)However, I have a MFG (U.S)who says they could potentially make them in aluminum. They would have the trim ring and center cap replicated on the wheel and be all one piece. I am going to ship them a Rally with the cap and ring and they are going to scan it and see about the production in aluminum. I am wondering if they look really close, would the market be the same, better, or worse. I like the idea of a 20" Rally thats all one piece and super light compared to the steel version.
They may also be able to build it so factory caps can be installed and diamond cut the lip to give it a luster to duplicate the stainless trim rings.
Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks for bearing with me fellas, this really takes alot to get rolling.

This is a heavy wall deep draw for the center. Have you checked with fabricators in the Detroit area? Not many stamping houses have enough tonnage for this app.

truck72454 12-07-2011 08:09 PM

would love to see a set of steel wheels like that, and would be interested in buying.

gringoloco 12-07-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne (Post 5052730)
...I like the idea of a 20" Rally thats all one piece and super light compared to the steel version.

Aluminum will be better overall- 20" steel wheels are HEAVY and WILL make your truck accelerate and brake noticeably slower and be less maneuverable.

I assume the wheels will be cast aluminum to maintain your price point, which means the lip will never polish out like billet, leaving a 'dull' or 'hazy' finish (reference polished Coy's). Diamond cut machining the lip will give the high-luster look you want and be affordable. Removeable 20" trim rings will NOT be affordable. I also like the idea of re-using the stock style center caps to keep the design simple and, yep, cheaper.

I believe this to be your most affordable option, as it will simply be a cast wheel, painted, with a machined lip. Many companies are building wheels like this (Coy's, Showwheels, Boss, etc) at an acceptable price point. I think if you can bring 'em in under a grand, you won't be able to keep up with demand...

This is VERY do-able if you keep it simple. Don't give up! :chevy: