The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Pre-LS swap questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=582190)

ls1nova71 02-03-2016 11:50 AM

Re: Pre-LS swap questions

I would think a set of fourth gen F body manifolds would fit. Do you have a pic of your steering set up? May have to get creative with it to make it clear.

50 Chevy LS3 02-03-2016 01:37 PM

Greg, I've been going through the same problem with mine, lately.
I ordered the Sanderson headers listed for this application.
You can see everything, with pictures here,http://talk.classicparts.com/threads...headers.22242/
The thread rambles somewhat, with Lakeroadster and I discussing general things, but, it shows pictures of how I solved the problem.
It looks to me, my engine sits a little more rearward than yours.
I'm going with the F-body oil pan.
My engine is the 6.0 LQ9, so I opted for the 1,5/8" header tubes.

Steve.

Root2812 02-04-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7472180)
-
I used these on my '67 and they fit great. I'm not sure how they would work on the 50 though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hooker-Heade...xTxRxO&vxp=mtr

I think you can also get them in a coated version.

LockDoc

I will have to take some more measurements to see if those would work. Right now my biggest clearance issue is width.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 7472241)
I would think a set of fourth gen F body manifolds would fit. Do you have a pic of your steering set up? May have to get creative with it to make it clear.

manifolds wouldn't work. Are the fbody ones tighter than the corvette ones I have?

I don't have a steering set up yet. I just have so little space for the manifold and steering to share that I knew my

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 (Post 7472382)
Greg, I've been going through the same problem with mine, lately.
I ordered the Sanderson headers listed for this application.
You can see everything, with pictures here,http://talk.classicparts.com/threads...headers.22242/
The thread rambles somewhat, with Lakeroadster and I discussing general things, but, it shows pictures of how I solved the problem.
It looks to me, my engine sits a little more rearward than yours.
I'm going with the F-body oil pan.
My engine is the 6.0 LQ9, so I opted for the 1,5/8" header tubes.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'll have to give your thread a read.

Root2812 04-30-2016 10:39 PM

I got another question for you experts. I may be over thinking this but better to ask than not.

So when I painted my engine I didn't mask off the place where the waterpump gasket or exhaust gasket goes. When I see pictures online it looks like a lot of people do. Do I need to strip the paint off? Its smooth so I would think it would seal but I won't want a leak later. I did mask off the intake ports on the heads.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...psuw0nbra2.jpg

Another thing is that while my engine has been sitting in the frame with no crank pulley I got flash rusting on the crank snout. I was planning on just cleaning that with emory cloth. Think that's the right way?

LostMy65 10-20-2017 09:34 AM

I searched, and this thread seems like the best place to ask my question.
I feel comfortable doing most everything on a Gen 1 sbc,
Are LS Engines difficult to work on?

Robznob11 10-20-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8064448)
I searched, and this thread seems like the best place to ask my question.
I feel comfortable doing most everything on a Gen 1 sbc,
Are LS Engines difficult to work on?

Only 100 times easier than working on a gen 1, no lashing valves, no pulling heads to swap a cam......I have seen questionable people tear into to them and come out with great results!

LostMy65 10-20-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robznob11 (Post 8064454)
Only 100 times easier than working on a gen 1, no lashing valves, no pulling heads to swap a cam......I have seen questionable people tear into to them and come out with great results!

Cool!
Back in 85/86 when I was only 20, I rebuilt my 283 with a JCWhitney Rebuild Kit.
I didn't even take it to a machine shop. I visually inspected everything, honed the cylinders myself, ground the valves, checked the clearances, and put it back together.
It ran great until I sold it. The old man I bought it back from said it blew up on him in around 2004/05. So, I guess I'll be fine with an LS.
Thanks

Root2812 03-09-2018 03:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. Yes I am still working on this very slow project. I need a bit of help. I attached 3 pictures. 2 of them show ports on the throttle body. What are they for and where do I connect them too? Can I just cap them? The other photo shows a brass fitting coming off of the intake. Can I just cap that off?

I'm getting closer and closer to firing the engine for the first time but I have lots of loose ends to tie up first.

Wildkarde 03-09-2018 11:45 PM

The port on the upper drivers side of the throttle body is your PCV clean air source, should go to the front of the passenger side head.

The two on the bottom of the throttle body are coolant passages for pre-warming air, normally the hose from the steam vents goes in one and out the other but most swappers just leave them disconnected.

The one on the intake manifold is the vacuum source for the PCV system, if that is an actual ls1 it should be on the valley plate. Trucks have a PCV valvle looking thing on the back of the drivers head.

Root2812 03-13-2018 10:23 PM

Thanks. You confirmed what I thought for the ones on the throttle body.

I'm confused about the one on the intake though. I have the PCV in the valley cover and the preformed host goes to the port on the intake thats in the same spot but on the passenger side. I thought that one on the drivers side that I showed was for something like evaporative emissions or something but I have no clue. If my PCV goes to the other side of the intake this post can't be PCV too.

Wildkarde 03-14-2018 12:22 AM

I think you're right, I deal mostly with truck intakes which get their PCV vacuum from the top center of the intake and have the EVAP purge solenoid mounted right behind the throttle body on top of the intake. If your pre-formed hose goes to the other port then use that one it really doesn't matter where you get that vacuum signal from. If you don't use the EVAP just cap the other one off.

Root2812 03-14-2018 12:40 AM

Great thank you. I was just guessing on what they were for so I really appreciate the confirmation.