The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   power window regulators on the cheap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601167)

LH Lead-Foot 12-02-2018 01:50 PM

Re: power window regulators on the cheap

I would like to ask what was used on the center pivot? For this to work, 1 arm needs changed.
I would guess there is a special rivet, one with a shoulder has to be used. This way, it can be peened to hold the arms pivot point in place tightly, yet allowing for proper movement.
If a stepped rivet was used, where did you find it? A bolt with the right size may work but requires a unlock nut installed. I would prefer the rivet approach.

On the farm, rivets where used to hold the blades on the cutting bar of a hay cutter or combine. Maybe, a farm and home would have this hardware.

What say you? Oh great inventor of power windows on the cheap.

bonnieclyde100 12-02-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwinger (Post 8397132)
You have to reinstall the spring? I don't recall seeing that in the steps. Any tips?

it was a while ago but im sure I put the spring on and turned the mount to tighten and when I got it tight I installed motor while holding mount to make sure it doesn't unwind. if you let it go before motor is installed it will unwind fast so be careful.

bonnieclyde100 12-02-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LH Lead-Foot (Post 8397286)
I would like to ask what was used on the center pivot? For this to work, 1 arm needs changed.
I would guess there is a special rivet, one with a shoulder has to be used. This way, it can be peened to hold the arms pivot point in place tightly, yet allowing for proper movement.
If a stepped rivet was used, where did you find it? A bolt with the right size may work but requires a unlock nut installed. I would prefer the rivet approach.

On the farm, rivets where used to hold the blades on the cutting bar of a hay cutter or combine. Maybe, a farm and home would have this hardware.

What say you? Oh great inventor of power windows on the cheap.

not completely sure what you are talking about but if you talking about the long pieces with the wheels that run in the tracks on them I didn't change them I never even took them apart there were 3 rivets on the end that the big gear attached I grinded off 2 and pivoted it and welded to keep it from turning anymore

LH Lead-Foot 12-03-2018 03:07 AM

Got it.

Just was not sure what was change on the arms, or roller for the window track. The plastic rollers & rivets for the window lift arm are on LMC and elsewhere.

Thanks.
Happy Holidays.

highwinger 12-03-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 (Post 8397607)
it was a while ago but im sure I put the spring on and turned the mount to tighten and when I got it tight I installed motor while holding mount to make sure it doesn't unwind. if you let it go before motor is installed it will unwind fast so be careful.

thanks...sounds like fun :chevy:

On another note...these do not come with mating connectors:
Part # : 42-131
Part # : 42-130
and I couldn't find the mating connectors, so ended up buying the following because they come with a set of mating adapters:
Dorman 742-142
Dorman 742-143

highwinger 12-23-2018 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know if I should mount the gear centered as the thread suggests or rotate it 90deg from how it was previously mounted? This is a 69 suburban 3rd door not a pickup btw. You can see the gear is aligned 90deg with the holes and the gear isn't centered.

Thx & Merry Christmas

carwasher 01-28-2019 09:57 AM

Has anyone done this to a 1966 c10 ? just found the you tube video on the 65. Nice job

999Tinman 02-07-2019 11:03 PM

Could someone by any chance pm me pics of each side? With my luck I will weld it backwards and I dont really want to to that. Great thread! Love a good diy

highwinger 02-08-2019 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 999Tinman (Post 8461163)
Could someone by any chance pm me pics of each side? With my luck I will weld it backwards and I dont really want to to that. Great thread! Love a good diy

Disclaimer: not an expert and I have a suburban

Looking on LMC, they show the same regulator for the Burb and trucks. When I did my 3rd door (passenger side) it was back from the pictures shown. Here’s my comparison vs the pictures. See the chicken scratches on the printed page. So it’s my opinion the pics are swapped. Also, when I installed with Brothers felts, the motor still isn’t enough to move the window.
Posted via Mobile Device

999Tinman 02-08-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwinger (Post 8461346)
Disclaimer: not an expert and I have a suburban

Looking on LMC, they show the same regulator for the Burb and trucks. When I did my 3rd door (passenger side) it was back from the pictures shown. Here’s my comparison vs the pictures. See the chicken scratches on the printed page. So it’s my opinion the pics are swapped. Also, when I installed with Brothers felts, the motor still isn’t enough to move the window.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the pics and the info. I watched your video. How long have they been un your truck? Still happy with them?

highwinger 02-09-2019 01:06 AM

I don’t think I did a video. I only did one and it still doesn’t move the window up & down so I’m not very happy. It may be the window felts tho. I’ve bought other runners from Brothers and then triplanes them so that may be the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

999Tinman 02-09-2019 01:10 AM

Sorry wrong fellow.

70STOVEBOLT 02-09-2019 10:56 AM

Mine bound up too with the old weatherstripping about 3/4 of the way up so I will have to adjust the tracks a little bit and revisit it later because I got discouraged

mygmctruck1 02-21-2019 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been researching all this out and I like it . I did find a complete setup for a Chevy truck from a 94-05 . Ebay

Less than $80.00 for the pr. Has anyone tried these or will they even fit our trucks . Just curious , if they fit , this is a good way to go.

elf w/capital T 02-21-2019 09:11 PM

Thats so cool! Thanks for the inspiration! One day ill do it and use your ideas! Thanks!

Deer_hunter_088 02-10-2020 11:37 AM

I dont know if anyone watches this thread, but it almost looks like a s10 motor would work (mine are all metal, i may build one and see if they are interchangeable!

Metaldoc 02-11-2020 07:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My regulators and 95 chev truck motors 9 tooth

Deer_hunter_088 02-12-2020 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8676507)
My regulators and 95 chev truck motors 9 tooth

any suggestions to someone thinking on making them?

Metaldoc 02-12-2020 05:24 AM

I'm sure for most people with a couple of basic tools and a welder this can be done very easily. I did mine 2 yrs ago and no issues. I used micro switches that control relays that control the windows. I love having P/W now

Thealien 03-03-2020 09:10 AM

Nice!

gmc684x4 03-05-2020 01:09 AM

I have several of the 88-98 parts trucks to donar window motors great work

ccautoupholstery 08-17-2020 05:34 PM

Can someone that has done this conversion please help...i am for some reason going full stupid at the moment lol. When finished and mounted in the truck does the power motor sit up towards the top of the door or the bottom? I feel like the gear gets rotated down 90 degrees and the motor would sit near the bottom but when I look at pics and the video I feel like it is opposite

70STOVEBOLT 08-17-2020 09:29 PM

Should be at the bottom

70STOVEBOLT 08-18-2020 08:07 AM

If your motor is at the top you may have the RH side in the LH door or vice versa.

Metaldoc 09-01-2020 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to clear it up