The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Little Body Work on the Blazer/Tub (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=156022)

raggedjim 12-02-2008 04:05 PM

Re: Little Body Work on the Blazer/Tub

Believe me, I made my own, I would have been money ahead if I could have bought them back then!

Those aren't easy to make...

Rg

70rs/ss 12-02-2008 05:53 PM

Isn't that one of the pieces wes had made as well?

Man, I spent about an hour and a half or so reading all of the posts about Dozer and Jason, man those guys were very well liked and severly missed. I watch in awe the groups of wheelers as they hang out and wheel in the vids and picts, and think, man I wish I could have that in my life. You guys that do it, my hats off to you and I am in awe. I live very near MOAB and am ashamed that I have never been, and my wheelin' is mostly playing around in the dirt here in the No AZ area. Glad to see the updated thread has a somewhat happy ending.

RIP Dozer and Jason.

vtblazer 07-06-2009 10:20 AM

Possible resurrection for this one...stay tuned.

Big J 07-06-2009 11:00 PM

Wow, I've been away too long.... Andy has got huge tires, your sellin' the blue and orange blazers and now this, lol. GITRDONE!:metal:

vtblazer 07-07-2009 06:18 AM

We missed ya, where you been hiding?

As for change, I've done the stock resto (almost to freakin nice to drive) and I've done the rock crawler (way to extreme to drive) and now I want the best of both worlds dammit. :sumo: :lol:

By saying drive, I'm talking about being able to enjoy the ride, my green one never saw rain so that always added stress to each trip, let alone the fear of other drivers out there and the blue one in the end wouldn't pass inspection anyway, leave out the fact of trying to drive a set of 42" bias ply tires down pavement.

Along the way, I've learned more and have yet again decided to go a different route with the drive-train. ;)

Big J 07-10-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3399106)
We missed ya, where you been hiding?

In the woods, lol.... I'm plannin' 7-9 days of fun on the blazer towards the end of the month. As long as nothing bad goes down, knock on wood, lol. So what are the plans on this one??? I think you need to yank a all wheel drive setup out of something and toss it under one of'em. A K5 that handles like its on rails:metal:.

vtblazer 07-11-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3405983)
I think you need to yank an all wheel drive setup out of something and toss it under one of'em. A K5 that handles like its on rails

I've got other ideas but feel free...;)

Chevyman63 07-11-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3406642)
I've got other ideas but feel free...;)

Would one of them be putting a newer style setup like a Tahoe, with IFS under the copper colored Blazer? Hmmm? :metal:

vtblazer 07-12-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 3407023)
Would one of them be putting a newer style setup like a Tahoe, with IFS under the copper colored Blazer? Hmmm? :metal:

Naw, gave up on that idea last year.

Seemed like a lot of work just to inherit all the drive train issues those trucks had.

jaros44sr 07-12-2009 10:49 AM

Then it must be Halibrandt quik change gear rearends

vtblazer 07-12-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3407953)
Then it must be Halibrandt quik change gear rearends

Closer than you might think my friend.

-Greg72 08-16-2009 07:24 AM

Time to subscribe so I can study the bedside repair photos....

Just cut mine off, and now I'm in trouble.

Luckily perfect replacement Blazer bedsides are easy to find......

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

vtblazer 08-30-2009 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's back in the home shop, time to do more 'stuff'.

First thing will be to install the brand new set of factory style body mounts I've been saving...and saving...and saving.

I already started by removing the old 'welded in' body mount bolts.

Once the mounts are done, I'll align everything up and weld those lower 'a' pillars...whohoo. :lol:

vtblazer 09-05-2009 06:48 PM

Body mounts are in & tightened up, time to make this ole girl whole again.

Chevyman63 09-05-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3503631)
Body mounts are in & tightened up, time to make this ole girl whole again.

Cool! Looking forward to some pics.

vtblazer 09-07-2009 05:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good gawd, actually got something done. :jdp:

Gave the 1st position body bolts the ole smack down this morning, ground em out and got the new mounts installed in under an hour this morning.

Mounts are 100%.

Started on the pass. lower 'a' pillar, finally - FINALLY this thing is becoming one piece, despite my best efforts. :lol:

Not completely finished with the pass patch job but it still feels good.

Chevyman63 09-08-2009 06:42 AM

Nice!!

So tempting. :smoke:

vtblazer 09-09-2009 06:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Drivers side is welded up, she's whole! :metal: :lol:

It's been a v-e-r-y long time getting this thing together but I guess when you throw three different blazers and one truck together, you'll have that.

Really happy with the way the factory floor seam turned out between the truck firewall & the blazer tub too.

Onto the small patch work to finish up the and stabilize the 'a' pillars, then I'll hang a set of doors to check the body mount alignment. :cool:

JimmyFloyd 09-09-2009 08:34 AM

Looks good. Do you know the bolt sizes you used for the body mounts? That's the first thing I need to do on mine, and it's getting closer to that time.

For the A-pillars, did you replace them with new metal, or just clean them up?

Thanks.

Chevyman63 09-09-2009 01:18 PM

Very nice work Kurt!

vtblazer 09-09-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyFloyd (Post 3509458)
Looks good. Do you know the bolt sizes you used for the body mounts? That's the first thing I need to do on mine, and it's getting closer to that time.

For the A-pillars, did you replace them with new metal, or just clean them up?

Thanks.

Check out the beginning of this thread...some interesting reading, you'll find the answer there. ;)

swyfor5 09-09-2009 08:47 PM

Right on VT! Already saved in the memory banks! Got all that to look forward to on my build. Keep up the good work, and keep up the great pic's!

vtblazer 09-10-2009 05:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swyfor5 (Post 3510607)
Right on VT! Already saved in the memory banks! Got all that to look forward to on my build. Keep up the good work, and keep up the great pic's!

Thanks, we're all waiting for you to get it out of storage and get to work already. :sumo: :lol:

Just don't follow my 'time line', this build is over 4 years old now. :crazy:

Started even before I ever posted a thread...

Pics start out with the remains of my very first K5, then it's the stripped out Texas tub, next is the donor truck that the firewall came from and the last one is it's first of many 'storage' visits.

Tynee 09-10-2009 07:52 PM

amazing. I'm actually impressed that this has only taken you 4 years.

Long Roof 09-10-2009 08:53 PM

Wow thats one farfed up passenger quarter! There is a thread somewhere on here that shows how to replace that thing. You should look it up ;)