The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Ta2Don 03-29-2013 12:33 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

After some phone calls, to the school, I was put in touch with Lonnie their long time Mechanic. Talking with him confirmed that the '65 was bought new, used to haul lunch stuff around, then in '75 Lonnie got it to use for the Maintenance Shop. He drove the truck until '93 when they retired it. In '95 the school sold the truck to a local guy, who happens to be a friend of mine, and dad to my machinist hookup. He sold it shortly after to another local, who has since passed away. Coincidentally, his son is one of my customers, so I am waiting to get ahold of him to see what more I can find out about the '65. Will post more once we talk, I'm hoping he may have some pics of his dad with the stepper, stay tuned!!!

Ta2Don 03-29-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5978443)
Congrats on the welder. Things are gonna get going now.:metal:
What size of wire are you planning on using?

Gotta get an Argon bottle, so for now it's loaded with some flux-core... I know, I know, please don't throw any of your hammers at me...:lol:
I think the flux core is .035 and my bud was running a .030 with gas...

dantimdad 03-29-2013 01:42 PM

I have been using flux core all along. it's messy and fussy but it does strong welds.

I really want a true mig setup though.

Steven

Ta2Don 03-29-2013 03:07 PM

Just found out it will cost about $110 to purchase small bottle and have filled locally... Will be picking up bottle Monday!!!

Ta2Don 04-07-2013 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the Welder up and running today :metal:
It's been 25 years since making sparks so got some practice to get in before any real welding takes place.
Here's a pic of my weld station and my first bead...

Ta2Don 04-07-2013 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is what I found under some rust bubbles at the bottom of my Passenger Fender...

Bomp 04-07-2013 06:42 PM

Congrats on the welder. Woo Hoo:metal::metal::metal:

I have a fire extinguisher and hose at the ready for any unexpected :devil:

Looks like some serious metal fab is in the future for the bottom of that fender. Let play time begin.

Ta2Don 04-07-2013 06:49 PM

Fire extinguisher is on the shopping list...
That fender is gonna pose a challenge to my metal working abilities, or maybe I should say, lack thereof...:lol:
Gonna give it a shot nonetheless...

gimmy 64 04-07-2013 08:17 PM

you can do it. i learned the hard way with sheet metal just do a short zap and move to another spot. i would blow a hole in the metal and think ---i just have to put more weld on it!!! NO stop and go some where else.

Jmorales3181 04-07-2013 08:28 PM

Go get em man! :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 04-07-2013 11:31 PM

Yep, there are 3 fire extinguishers in the garage, strategically placed !!

The welder is a game changer! I never realized just how many more things were possible just from having it there!
Then came the plasma cutter...... life as I knew it ended and this snowball of a build has ensued !!

Good luck, have fun, keep us posted man :metal:

Ta2Don 04-08-2013 05:49 PM

Thanks Guys for the encouraging words... after some research, and an issue with the gas regulator on the argon bottle, which needs to be replaced, I have ordered a new regulator and will order some patch panels for the fender repair...

markeb01 04-14-2013 10:28 PM

I look forward to watching your progress. I really admire those with welding skills, especially sheet metal. It opens up so many possibilities. I never had enough demand to develop any talent at it. The few attempts demonstrated I was pretty good at burning holes in things, but that was about it.

Ta2Don 04-15-2013 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not much accomplished on the truck today, first priority was to keep the Mrs happy by completing some yard work and planting 3 trees... Then I dug into the passenger fender... cutting off the inner reinforcement and the outer skin that was rotted and previously repaired by P.O. with lots of filler... Waiting on new regulator for gas bottle on welder, and repair panels, then let the sparks fly:metal::metal:

Ta2Don 04-15-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6012153)
I look forward to watching your progress. I really admire those with welding skills, especially sheet metal. It opens up so many possibilities. I never had enough demand to develop any talent at it. The few attempts demonstrated I was pretty good at burning holes in things, but that was about it.

I guess we will see if I can do it, that is as soon as the patch panels arrive! And I must add, Mark you are very talented, Love your build...

Dinos63 04-15-2013 12:56 AM

whoa!!got some work to do and with you welding set looks like your ready

Ta2Don 04-15-2013 12:30 PM

Thanks Dino, gotta step up now... Really like watching your builds, that dually is the first one I found and all I can say is "Awesome" especially the trim on the dually fenders!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 04-18-2013 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:metal: Gas Regulator made it here today...:metal:

Now as soon as the patch panels arrive, it'll be time to make sparks and fix the pass fender...

Bomp 04-18-2013 01:21 PM

Yaa Hoo, Got time to practice before the patch panel arrives.
Light'em up!:metal::metal::metal:

da_bears_da1 04-18-2013 01:22 PM

Congrats on the welder (Go Bears!!). I never welded before 80 days ago. Take your time. There are some good posts on the welding thread in this forum. One thing I learned last week is to not use the big 4.5 inch grinder on welds. It over heats the metal. We are now using double cut-off wheels to take down the big welds and then smoothing with an angle grinder and roloc sanding pads. Very surprised at how well it smooths them. Been using 36 or 40 grit. Good luck, lots of pictures!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 04-18-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6019725)
Yaa Hoo, Got time to practice before the patch panel arrives.
Light'em up!:metal::metal::metal:

Oh Yeah, gonna make a few sparks this weekend for sure...:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6019729)
Congrats on the welder (Go Bears!!). I never welded before 80 days ago. Take your time. There are some good posts on the welding thread in this forum. One thing I learned last week is to not use the big 4.5 inch grinder on welds. It over heats the metal. We are now using double cut-off wheels to take down the big welds and then smoothing with an angle grinder and roloc sanding pads. Very surprised at how well it smooths them. Been using 36 or 40 grit. Good luck, lots of pictures!
Posted via Mobile Device

DaBears!!!!!!!!:metal::metal::metal: Thanks for the advice, gonna check out the welding thread...

McMurphy 04-18-2013 05:00 PM

There is a welding thread ??? :dohh:

Ta2Don 04-18-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6020108)

My same reaction...:lol:

da_bears_da1 04-19-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6020108)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6020207)
My same reaction...:lol:

I had to go look to see if it was me that needed a head wack. :crazy:

It is the paint and body thread where there are welding posts, just search that thread. :metal:

At least I am not nuts on this one. By the way Ta2Don, my parents live in Austin and my daughter is moving back up here, right now she lives in Ward. Drive by Searcy every time we visit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 04-19-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6021409)
By the way Ta2Don, my parents live in Austin and my daughter is moving back up here, right now she lives in Ward. Drive by Searcy every time we visit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Next time you are this way, drop by the tattoo studio, I'm always there except on Sundays and Mondays... Like meeting fellow truck guyz!!! PM Sent.:mm: