The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OMG Honda door weatherstripping fits perfect no cutting required !! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=741910)

sick472 02-03-2021 02:50 PM

Re: OMG Honda door weatherstripping fits perfect no cutting required !!

I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.

1971Stepside 02-03-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.

code522 02-03-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8874352)
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.

Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.

kell490 02-21-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by code522 (Post 8874451)
Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.

I have the exact same problem when I had the body work done shop installed a new rocker. I have spent a $$$ on brand new precisions press-on which I cut trying to make them fit. I bought glue in can't close the door I'm sure the problem has to do with the rocker that was installed there is no groove anymore just filled in flat. It's been too long to return to the body shop they won't fix it. I'm going to try the Honda seal next see if it works. Diver side is original. The press on were the worst could not even get either door to close within 1/2 in inch it would have bent the door on either side. I think the later 70 plus they might fit better mine is a 67 probably was changed little by Chevy in later years.

CheySuper8 02-22-2021 04:00 PM

In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken

kell490 02-23-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheySuper8 (Post 8884046)
In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken

Probably what I will do on the driver side where I have a factory rocker panel it closes okay I can see the bottom is tight. I wish I had test fit the door on the passenger side before it got painted. The aftermarket rockers don't fit like factory does first time learning curve on restoring.

I think after this one I want to restore a K series pickup with 4 link long arms suspension with an LS engine.

ChevyGuyNC 03-06-2021 09:36 AM

Just curious, as it's not been stated outright... Are the Honda seals push-on, and therefore easy to pull out of a wreck at the pull-a-part?

I have the 'new version' Precision seals from GMCPaul's and after doing the Driver's door, I'm ready to toss them... I have to slam the crap out of the door to close it. Supposedly you can cut a wedge on each side of the bulbous part where they meet under the sill plate for the air to escape.. I'll try that but not hopeful.

Makes me wonder why I tried to fix something that wasn't broke... Door closed fine with the worn factory seals...

Local yards seem to have some of the right Hondas and can't beat the price at $7 each... Probably take a ride to one this week...

Old_Truck_Fan 03-06-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC (Post 8889238)
Just curious, as it's not been stated outright... Are the Honda seals push-on, and therefore easy to pull out of a wreck at the pull-a-part?

Yep, the Honda seals are push-on style. Easy on or off.

stilldreamin6772 03-06-2021 08:28 PM

I too have the precision seals and have to slam the hell out of my doors. My kid cant get the passenger side to close at all. hate to toss the brand new seals but might have to. Ill try the notching idea before getting the honda seals, thanks for the idea fellas.

kell490 03-06-2021 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the honda seal in and it does work better then the precision seal the door seems to close easier but the bottom seems to be too long looks like I have to cut it make it fit. Has anyone had to cut it? Mine truck is a 67 and body shop filled in the groove not sure why I think I'm going to cut the floor pan groove back in so the door seals right still won't fix the door seal being too long.

Canadian68owner 05-10-2021 11:12 AM

Just attempted to order one from the local Honda dealer here in Canada and he said it was backordered without an estimate of delivery :-)
GM owners must be buying them up

Low Elco 05-10-2021 05:28 PM

Hondapartsdirect.com is your friend.

I had Precisions, had to slam the crap out of both doors. Took them out and put brand new Hondas on both doors. Soooo much nicer.

chewychevy67 05-10-2021 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I trimmed the lip off with a knife. Took a while and some real patience but it turned out nice. These are unreal nice to close the door with compared to others.

jimijam00 05-10-2021 09:18 PM

But, "fits perfect, no cutting required" is in the thread title. Lol.

leddzepp 05-10-2021 10:00 PM

If you have to cut it to fit you got the wrong ones. You don’t have to trim the “lip” off for them to fit properly, only for aesthetics. I left them on, didn’t bother me.

Canadian68owner 05-11-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8919304)
Hondapartsdirect.com is your friend.

I had Precisions, had to slam the crap out of both doors. Took them out and put brand new Hondas on both doors. Soooo much nicer.

Here was the response from Honda Parts Direct:
"Unfortunately, the parts that you ordered are on national back order from Honda and no other dealers show them in stock. There is currently no release date for the parts"

Grumpy old man 05-11-2021 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a good video to watch on fitting your door seals so your doors close nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvw5RhbhPVc

C10 Show Truck Project: Test Fitting Door Seals BEFORE Painting with Altman Easy Latches Installed , Watch all the Stout Customs videos .

k2rm 05-11-2021 03:33 PM

I also have the honda weatherstrips and am very happy with them. When I purchased them about 6 months ago, they were backordered for one side. I don't remember which. They sent the side they had in stock. It fit both sides of the truck equally well, so I canceled the backordered side and ordered another of the side that was in stock.

Canadian68owner 05-11-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2rm (Post 8919646)
I also have the honda weatherstrips and am very happy with them. When I purchased them about 6 months ago, they were backordered for one side. I don't remember which. They sent the side they had in stock. It fit both sides of the truck equally well, so I canceled the backordered side and ordered another of the side that was in stock.

That's helpful K2RM
thanks

kell490 05-30-2021 11:16 PM

For some reason my body shop man filled in the gap at the bottom of the door where the weather stripping is suppose to go in that channel, so I had to cut it open again. With the Honda weather-strip at first I had a loop in it I was thinking needed to cut it. I decided to remove it in both directions and inch by inch push it over the door jam lip. It fits perfect no cutting needed believe me my door jam is the worst because my rocker was replaced and installed by myself who had no clue what I was doing. I have to agree the Honda fits perfect no glue required door closes now.

MikeinNH 07-07-2021 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm in the process of taking a 04 Tahoe apart for the base of my C10 and it made me wonder about the door seals. I pulled the drivers side off and it fits quite nicely on the C10. I'll have to cut off a bit on the bottom but it comes cut anyway. Door seems to close nicely with a nice tight seal. Seems like a win to me.

custom10nut 07-08-2021 01:48 PM

I was lucky enough to score a pair of 2010 (2dr) Honda Civic Door Seals
My question is what to do with the upper corner piece (it’s just kind of an extra piece)?
Do I just put it in the lower front, or carefully trim it off?

kell490 07-28-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custom10nut (Post 8941271)
I was lucky enough to score a pair of 2010 (2dr) Honda Civic Door Seals
My question is what to do with the upper corner piece (it’s just kind of an extra piece)?
Do I just put it in the lower front, or carefully trim it off?

Not sure what part your talking about the honda seal is one continues part just push it over the lip all the way around the door like in the pictures.

1972K20 12-28-2021 01:28 AM

Has anyone tried these Honda door seals on other years besides the 67-72?

MikeB 12-29-2021 06:50 PM

I must be the exception here. Got a pair of the Honda seals from the junkyard, but they were grey (no big deal) and didn't fit flush on the inside of the cab.

Ended up getting these, which push-on tight and stay on. They are awesome!

Precision DWP 1112 67
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqp-dwp-1112-67