The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Chevyrestoguy's '55 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=247512)

chevyrestoguy 01-14-2011 10:32 AM

Re: Chevyrestoguy's '55 build

When I did the initial build way back in '93, I mocked it up using a 15X10 wheel with a 3.5" backspace and a 29X15.50-15 Mickey Thompson tire. It had leaf springs back then, and the inside edge of the tire was pretty close, but it all cleared. A 15X10 tire is too narrow for a 15.50" wide tire, and it causes the center of the tread to be ballooned, and the sidewalls are severely swelled. I didn't want to deal with that on the street for safety reasons. Flash forward a bunch of years....With the air-ride suspension, I no longer have leaf springs, so now I have a ton of clearance. So, I was going to switch to either: 1): a wider rim to fit the 15.50" tire better, or 2): a new wheel/tire combination and take advantage of the increased room on the inside. In the meantime, I was looking for radials, and the two options are either Mickey Thompson or Hoosier, and both are really expensive. So, I really knuckled down and started looking for the cheapest route. Lo and behold, Hoosier had a section on their website called "Closeouts", and they were carrying a discontinued 29X15.50-16 tire for the blowout price of $80(!!!) each. They were originally $315.00 a piece. I wound up buying 4 of them, so I could have a spare. But, this meant that I was committed to a 16" rim, so that presented a new set of issues. I wound up going with ET because I have always loved the big windowed Fueler wheel. I could custom-order any backspace, so I requested a 5" backspace (the original wheels are a 3.5" backspace). So in the end, I moved the rim position 1.5" more inboard, and .5" outboard (original wheel was 10" wide, new wheel is 12"). I saved for months to get them and also sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist to get the funds to buy them. I'm not a big spender, don't like credit cards, and I rarely buy stuff for myself. I guess this was my Christmas present.

Fat Mike 01-14-2011 11:10 AM

What a great deal on those tires. WOW!! Can't wait to see that tire combo on your truck. Are you going to build a splash pan to fit in between the nomad bumper and grille?

Kabwe 01-14-2011 08:12 PM

This is just a cool truck period.

BC Toy chest 01-15-2011 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Are these the front wheels you are talking about? They have this five lug style and the spindle mount.

chevyrestoguy 01-16-2011 10:59 AM

I got up extra early yesterday and got the rear wheels and tires mounted.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...truck008-1.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...truck010-1.jpg

It turned even better than I imagined. Now it's time to buckle down and save up and get the fronts!

Fat Mike- Yeah, I am going to build a splash apron just like the '55 Chevy cars had to fill the gap between the bumper and the fender. I was just looking at it yesterday and I think I might be doing a whole lot more slicing and dicing to get it to fit better. So far, I've made 12 cuts and removed two sections and welded it all back together. I really want it to look 100% factory, and not like some scabbed-on bumper that doesn't fit anywhere. So, I still have a bunch of surgery to do.

BC Toy Chest- Yes, those are the wheels. The picture you posted are the wheels from Real Rodders Wheels. They are beautiful, but really spendy (I think $600(!) each). ET also makes one as well, and it has a few less ribs and it is half the cost of the other company's wheels.

Quote:

This is just a cool truck period
That's funny, Kabwe. I've said the same thing about your truck many, many times. I can't wait to finally see it it person one day.

ratty 46 01-16-2011 02:00 PM

Very tastey!! The fronts will tie it all together.

Ratty 46

sgtusmc 01-16-2011 02:05 PM

WOW...I'm speechless!!!!!

Kabwe 01-16-2011 03:10 PM

That's what I'm talking about mean looking. I love it. The meat on the tires (no rubberband) It screams I'm mean baby.lol Love it.

ratty 46 01-16-2011 10:12 PM

I love pro street builds soooooooooo much. I've built a P/S '68 camaro, 2 - '66 chevy II's & am contemplating the latest ... a '46 ford coupe!!

I'm glued to this build.

Ratty 46

BC Toy chest 01-18-2011 11:14 PM

OOOHHH MAN , LOOK A HERE , LOOK A HERE , SNAP , CRACKLE, POP BABY !!! Can't wait till you get those front ones. ........I hate you ...... sorry 'bout that, hehehe, a 'Lil jealous streak just shot thru me:devil:, hahaha. Keep up the good work restoguy:metal:.

Wheelie 01-18-2011 11:19 PM

Looks really good, What is the width of the rearend if you recall?

kustombrad 01-18-2011 11:31 PM

Hey BC, I hate him too! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

67chevy1series 01-18-2011 11:44 PM

dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chevyrestoguy 01-19-2011 12:06 PM

And I call you guys my friends..........Wow, tough love :lol:

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford the front wheels, and I have a question:
How much does the Red Cross give for pints of blood nowadays, and how much can you give before they kick you out?

I've been in the money-saving mode so long that I'm starting to crave Del Taco .49 cent Bean and Cheese burritos, dry tuna right out of the can, Captain Crunch cereal for dinner, and Ramen noodles.

Is it true that toilet paper is NOT reusable?

Tri5Nerd 01-19-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 4423105)

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford the front wheels, and I have a question:
How much does the Red Cross give for pints of blood nowadays, and how much can you give before they kick you out?

I've been in the money-saving mode so long that I'm starting to crave Del Taco .49 cent Bean and Cheese burritos, dry tuna right out of the can, Captain Crunch cereal for dinner, and Ramen noodles.

Man the Shrimp flavored Ramen noodles are the best! I'm in the same boat with you as many of us here are in.

Tri5

kustombrad 01-19-2011 01:50 PM

Wow, you rich guys are lucky to have shrimp in yours!

Kim57 01-19-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Been there done that. I could only afford my rear wheels and I'm only using steel ralleys. Still saving for the fronts.
Kim

CAL 58 GMC 02-13-2011 02:33 PM

Any progress lately?

chevyrestoguy 02-13-2011 06:38 PM

Haven't made any progress in the last few weeks. I'm in the process of selling my old magnesium 15X10 Torq-Thrusts to a guy in Pennsylvania so he can use on his '57 Chevy gasser. He has to sell his wheels in order to afford mine, so it's the waiting game for both of us. When the deal is done, I'll call E.T. and order the fronts.

In the meantime, I've been keeping my eyes open for a 60-66 truck to use as a parts chaser and this one followed me home today:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

It's a beater, but after the donor swap ('79 Suburban), it should work just fine.

kart34 03-04-2011 08:20 AM

Kool build !!! :metal::metal::metal:

OrrieG 03-04-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Around here the plasa guys give you $15 and you can come once a day. Problem is you spend half a day waiting your turn. My kids exhusband used to go down to get cigarette money but stopped after he passed out in the parking lot and laid they for half an hour because people thought he was just drunk. Red Cross lets you come every 6 weeks but they do not pay.

Kabwe 03-04-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 4529742)
My kids exhusband used to go down to get cigarette money but stopped after he passed out in the parking lot and laid they for half an hour because people thought he was just drunk. Red Cross lets you come every 6 weeks but they do not pay.

LOL. That is the craziest thing I ever heard.lol

sandnuriz 03-26-2011 10:35 PM

Truck is very nice! love the bumper! great work when can I drop mine off?

chevyrestoguy 03-27-2011 02:20 PM

Anytime! I must warn you: I'm REALLLLLY slow and SUUUUPER expensive!!:D

duallyjams 03-27-2011 03:34 PM

The second pic of the rear tire just needs a few wrinkles in it.