The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Ice cream getter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=386852)

67-72trucks 04-07-2013 02:46 PM

Re: Ice cream getter

Nice!! Who made your motor mounts and cross member? I need a set made.

SONOSADSACK 04-29-2013 08:13 PM

69-72trucks
They were built around the motor in the truck. Take a look at the “1972 Highlander 6.0/4L80E/LoMax” build thread. He used a prefab mount setup from DIY that required minimal alterations. Good write with good pics too.
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...&product_id=80

Low Elco 04-29-2013 11:33 PM

Well? Any progress? Ice cream season's a-comin!
Posted via Mobile Device

SONOSADSACK 04-30-2013 07:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A little…. Tub back off. Motor, transmission and transfer case are together and in. Tub back on. I also stripped all three seats and had the frames, mounts and all hardware sand blasted and powder coated along with the brake pedal assembly and a hand full of other small items. The seat frames and new foam buns are all now at the upholstery shop and will hopefully be home within the next couple of weeks. I started installing a new wire harness and some of this under dash, glued on the firewall, fits like crap but will look OK once the truck is fully together and don’t notice it anyway, cardboard stuff. The ash tray I ended up using was the nicest I had but the inside was very pitted after sand blasting. With nothing to lose I decided to try to a few different finishes to try and hide the pit ugliness. After trying black wrinkle finish, black chip guard, and then silver hammered finish I tried trunk spatter with light green fleck. Looks odd in the picture but I like my new little trunk.

I also drug yEloise home from her winter sleep

jaros44sr 04-30-2013 08:09 PM

Ty, very nice work...you wont notice that carboard since your eye will be drawn to all the other nice looking parts

One of my fav. engines to look at, can you take a closer pic, when you get a chance. I need a new wallpaper for my tablet

SONOSADSACK 06-17-2013 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
jaros44sr, as soon as it’s all together I'll snap a picture.

Update time. I am swapping out my old standard column with a tilt unit I purchased with a bunch of miscellaneous parts. It was tight but otherwise in pretty cruddy condition. So… I stripped it down, replaced anything that may have been broken, repacked the bearings and made it all pretty again.

SONOSADSACK 06-17-2013 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also picked up a new wheel. I tend to prefer understated or plain as opposed to flashy. Needless to say I will be de-chroming the adapter and the back side of the wheel itself.

SONOSADSACK 06-17-2013 06:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I also took three broken heater controls and made one good one. I believe these are made of pot metal and are nice and brittle when trying to take them apart. Mine all had broken arms in them so to limit the amount of damage I may have added, I just ground the top off of the boss at the top of the unit and drove the axle out from the bottom. It’s a splined shaft and remains tight after it’s been reinstalled. Not disrupting the mushroomed material on the keeper plate on the bottom side keeps the unit nice and tight.

jaros44sr 06-17-2013 06:27 PM

Tilt came out nice, how long did it take you to reassemble. Seemed like it took me forever lol. I made the mistake of taking apart, and letting it sit for two years, thank goodness for the service manual

SONOSADSACK 06-17-2013 06:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just some random in process pictures.

SONOSADSACK 06-18-2013 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My father’s day request was to have a day in the garage. I know not very fatherly asking for alone time but hey!
So... I finished installing the column and steering box.
Also, something I wasn’t too sure about doing… I sprayed bed liner on the underside of all four inner fenders. I ended up liking it. I didn’t like spraying the stuff.

Bomp 06-18-2013 10:06 PM

Came out really slick:metal:

JJH Jimmy 06-19-2013 10:38 AM

Looking great! I am getting ready to tear into my steering column as well. What type of spray in liner did you use?

Low Elco 06-19-2013 11:04 AM

Purdy purdy! Comin right along!
Posted via Mobile Device

SONOSADSACK 06-20-2013 03:19 PM

Jaros44sr – It didn’t go too bad but I cheated. I had my laptop with me and referenced a few good sites from this here web. Mainly this one of course. I can relate to the level of difficulty time can add to reassembly though.

JJH Jimmy – good luck with the column. Kind of a pain in the butt. The spray in liner I used is a SEM product called Rock-it Liner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBjLzTyYi0) I have no idea how well it will hold up but I have had good luck with other SEM products in the past.

Low Elco – thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing some LBT action. Soon?

Bomp – I haven’t checked in on your progress in a while. WOW! Nice, very nice. BTW after reading some of your work last night I stood up from the couch and bam! Doc says I have a stretched tendon in my foot which is allowing the bones to separate from one another and pop out of joint. Short story is I’m off my feet for a week and if the tendon doesn’t shrink I’ll need to be carved up a bit. I seriously had a vision of me hopping around on a peg in my garage flash through my head when it happened.

Low Elco 06-20-2013 04:14 PM

There are some things in the hopper, but I'm not at liberty to say just yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaros44sr 06-20-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6133489)
Jaros44sr – It didn’t go too bad but I cheated. I had my laptop with me and referenced a few good sites from this here web. Mainly this one of course. I can relate to the level of difficulty time can add to reassembly though.

JJH Jimmy – good luck with the column. Kind of a pain in the butt. The spray in liner I used is a SEM product called Rock-it Liner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBjLzTyYi0) I have no idea how well it will hold up but I have had good luck with other SEM products in the past.

Low Elco – thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing some LBT action. Soon?

Bomp – I haven’t checked in on your progress in a while. WOW! Nice, very nice. BTW after reading some of your work last night I stood up from the couch and bam! Doc says I have a stretched tendon in my foot which is allowing the bones to separate from one another and pop out of joint. Short story is I’m off my feet for a week and if the tendon doesn’t shrink I’ll need to be carved up a bit. I seriously had a vision of me hopping around on a peg in my garage flash through my head when it happened.

That one plate that had to be just right around the shift tube was really a PIA, cant believe it fit...i was tempted to file it down alittle:lol:

SONOSADSACK 06-20-2013 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely the most difficult piece in the reassembly. Especially without scratching anything.

jaros44sr 06-20-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6133804)
Definitely the most difficult piece in the reassembly. Especially without scratching anything.

Yep, thats the one that came to mind....couldnt find my service manual fast enough to get the name of the part. There is only one way that part will fit in there, even the curvature of the part is there for a reason. I fiddled with that piece for hours

I mounted the column in the truck and assembled from there

SONOSADSACK 09-03-2013 09:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I’ve been keeping up with other builds including; jaros44sr, hgs_notes, JJH Jimmy and others but not much progress to show on my own for the past two months…

At least the upholstery shop was able to get something done. I kinda had to drop one in just to see. I am looking forward to assembling the brackets to the seats and putting the rear together again also but I’m not ready for the seats to be in the garage and in the way yet.

SONOSADSACK 09-03-2013 09:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And this past weekend I stripped and painted two consoles. Neither will be perfect but should make very nice driver quality pieces.

I also picked up a nice top from forum member CRV and a little distraction of the vehicular kind. It was a good summer!

But, now that summer is basically over I need to renew my interest in my Blazer and get to working on it again.

jaros44sr 09-03-2013 11:41 PM

Seats look great, are they oem? I think those look good in your truck. I have horror stories of when i had my seats done...

Whats the plans for the Camaro, stock, modified, or something else

What stripper did you use on the console....

mtully79 09-04-2013 08:25 AM

She is looking good! I like the SEM liner in the wheel wells, wanted to do that myself so thanks for the product shout out. What electric fan setup did you use? My truck wants to overheat when sitting in beach traffic.

Low Elco 09-04-2013 08:29 AM

All looks good! Slap that sucker together!
Posted via Mobile Device

SONOSADSACK 09-04-2013 09:35 PM

jaros44sr
“Seats look great, are they OEM?”
Yes, they are the original three seats out of the Blazer. They took FOREVER to get back from the upholsterer but I am very happy with them. I’ll post more pictures of them once they are ready to be installed.
“What stripper did you use on the console?”
I think her name was Kandi. JK! I don’t know anything about that!! I actually only had to strip one and only because someone had already changed color once. I used soapy water, a red scotch brite pad and lots of elbow grease.
“What’s the plans for the Camaro, stock, modified, or something else?”
Not sure. It’s so original I really would have a hard time modifying anything in a way that couldn’t easily be put back to stock. Maybe old school big block and four speed? Then again… I like an LS turbo six speed package too! Time will tell. Blazer first though or I may be living in the Camaro.

mtully79
“She is looking good!”
Thanks
“I like the SEM liner in the wheel wells, wanted to do that myself so thanks for the product shout out.”
I better be able to tell you next summer how well it holds up but until then I can only say it’s nice to look at.
“What electric fan setup did you use?”
Entropy. Again, I can’t say how well they work but as far as the construction goes, they seem to be built well.
“My truck wants to overheat when sitting in beach traffic.”
Virginia Beach? I spent many weekends there in the early 80s as a young teen. I’ll bet things have changed a bit since? I lived in Chesapeake as my stepdad was in the Navy at the time. I was just another transplant in the area. Now you got the memories going!

Low Elco
“All looks good! Slap that sucker together!”
I’m a slappin! Spring will be here before I know it. HMMM, I think I said that before too!