The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Captain America 68 short/fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468341)

RenoKeene 04-28-2014 12:08 PM

Re: Captain America 68 short/fleetside

Looks good Josh, can't wait to lay eyes on it in person.

gottattooz 04-28-2014 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of my dash cluster. Everything works. As Previously mentioned, the Airbag and ABS lights are on, but that's all.

And here's my fuel tank. It's the 21 gallon poly tank that mounts behind the axle. I cut the mounting ring for the fuel pump out of the old tank, used beveled head screws and plastic weld two-part epoxy to seal the union. You can see the evap canister mounted on the frame behind the wheel. I didn't know what I could use or do away with, so I kept as much as possible to avoid problems.

-Josh

orngsikL 04-29-2014 04:10 AM

get rid of all the evap crap. you can tune it out.

Operatorfailure 04-29-2014 05:55 AM

You can get rid of the evap in the tune, it's easy. Also you can pull apart your cluster and resolder the bulbs for the abs and stuff. That's what I did on my Camaro cluster.

NastyBuzzard 04-29-2014 07:24 AM

Very nice! That is very similar to what I want to do! I want to use the oem instrument cluster from the 2001 silverado as well as the steering column and wheel.

I also want to take the gas tank from the 2001 silverado and put it in the spot of my driver side "saddle bag" tank and remove the passenger side one.

I am also going to take the rearend from the 2001 silverado and put it on my 87 so I can have rear disc and the 3.73 gear w/ the posi. I will aslo be trying to take the master cylinder and stuff off the 01 so my proportioning valve will all be correct.

I want to use as much as I can from the donor vehicle.

My plan is to take almost the entire wiring harness from the 01 and put it on my 87 so everything will be wired to the 2001 fuse panel.

CaptainAmerica is looking sweet!!!

gottattooz 04-29-2014 09:56 AM

Thanks. I'll get pics of the steering column and fuse panels soon.

-Josh

gottattooz 04-29-2014 11:27 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hadley-Heigh...f0349b&vxp=mtr

For those of you who may be curious about the leveling valve I'm using, I posted a link to one I found on ebay. The air supply and delivery lines are 3/8 o.d. There's a built in dump valve that's 1/4 o.d. Supply air to the dump valve, and a shuttle blocks the supply air and drains the airbags. Release te dump valve air supply, and the bags fill to the height you've set.

-Josh

gottattooz 05-02-2014 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No pics of the steering column setup yet, but I did put the old bed back on and wired up the lights. I'm loving the stance.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-02-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6656655)
No pics of the steering column setup yet, but I did put the old bed back on and wired up the lights. I'm loving the stance.

-Josh

Very nice!! need more interior shots and under hood shots!!

gottattooz 05-05-2014 12:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the steering column shots.

The first pic is inside the engine compartment, where the column comes through the firewall. I cut the steering shaft off the original column, and welded it to the u-joint of the new column.

The second pic is how it's mounted inside the cab, under the dash. I had it mounted at the top of the opening, like it is stock, but the steering wheel was low, like a go cart. I loosened the strap below the dash panel and lifted the steering wheel until the column almost bottomed out and used self tapping screws to secure the mount bracket.

Third pic shows the two power outlets in the radio knob holes and the placement of the tow/haul button.

Fourth pic just shows the dash panel secured to the wiring harness with a ziptie for the time being.

Fifth pic from the passenger side. You can see the fuse panel mounted to the kick panel, covering where the old dimmer switch was. Most of the excess of the harness is ziptied and stuffed behind the fuse panel.

-Josh

gottattooz 05-05-2014 12:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And, because Dave (colgad) was so gracious enough to give me an old grille trim piece, he asked if I could post a few pics of my 67 Skylark. Thanks, Dave. Here you go.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-05-2014 08:10 AM

Very nice!! It looks great. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

What did you use to get rear disc brakes on the truck?

Did you modify the ls wiring harness with the plugs from the 68 for the bed, lights, wiper motor, et cetera?

gottattooz 05-05-2014 08:27 AM

The rear disc is a direct bolt-on setup. You have to pull the axles, remove the drum brake backing plates, then install the caliper brackets. It was very simple.

The headlights plugged right in, but i spliced the rest of the lights into the new harness. The wipers were also spliced. For the most, everything just swapped over and plugged in.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-05-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6659971)
The rear disc is a direct bolt-on setup. You have to pull the axles, remove the drum brake backing plates, then install the caliper brackets. It was very simple.

The headlights plugged right in, but i spliced the rest of the lights into the new harness. The wipers were also spliced. For the most, everything just swapped over and plugged in.

-Josh

Rear disc was direct bolt on swap from the van?

You are making it seem too easy!!

colgad 05-05-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6659796)
And, because Dave (colgad) was so gracious enough to give me an old grille trim piece, he asked if I could post a few pics of my 67 Skylark. Thanks, Dave. Here you go.

-Josh

Thanks for posting the Skylark, looks so clean! I would like to work on my 72 Ventura but the C10 comes first. Next time I am in your area I would like to see it!

gottattooz 05-05-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard (Post 6659975)
Rear disc was direct bolt on swap from the van?

You are making it seem too easy!!

No, it's a kit i bought off e bay. I believe i put up a link earlier in this thread. I think it was $399.00. Bolts to the stock c10 rearend.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-05-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 6660363)
No, it's a kit i bought off e bay. I believe i put up a link earlier in this thread. I think it was $399.00. Bolts to the stock c10 rearend.

-Josh

Ahh, I think I may just attempt to take the 3.73 posi rearend out of the 2001 donor and put it in my 87. Maybe figure out a disc brake upgrade for the front end.

gottattooz 05-05-2014 02:11 PM

I'm sure the make a disc brake kit for the 87 as well.

-Josh

gottattooz 05-07-2014 08:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed the Heater box with a new heater core.

Then I started stripping the roof and filling the holes from the cab clearance lights.

-Josh

gottattooz 05-07-2014 08:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Filled and painted.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-07-2014 09:28 PM

Good job!! Looks 10X's better!! I wish I still had all my fabbing tools!!

colgad 05-07-2014 09:31 PM

Wow that's an improvement. I would have most likely warped the roof.

gottattooz 05-22-2014 07:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I picked up my spare bed from my friend Charlie, the fabricator. It looks amazing, minus the hand prints I put on it while loading and unloading it. My friend Todd and I will make a Tonneau cover for the bed out of aluminum parts we use to reskin trailer roofs. Also, we will be installing E-track around the perimeter of the bed, and along the floor so I can strap down cargo.

-Josh

NastyBuzzard 05-22-2014 07:30 PM

I'm so happy to see you are getting back on this!!

colgad 05-22-2014 10:44 PM

He did a great job on the lights, looks super!!!