The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Sketchy Deal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527552)

kingsolver72 11-30-2012 10:23 PM

Re: Project Sketchy Deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mike71 (Post 5732923)
Hey Scott, What's your ochre truck doing on craigs list?

Hey Mike, trying to generate some funds. It has been a rough economy for me. The wife had to go to work,she still has about 7 or 8 months of nursing school. Life is a bit sketchy right now. I know if either one of those trucks sell I will have a hard time with it. I have my NOS door handles there too along with a bunch of miscellaneous items.
Posted via Mobile Device

big mike71 11-30-2012 10:28 PM

I'm thinking about selling mine too, But with this economy I don't think I can get enough for it.

kingsolver72 11-30-2012 10:31 PM

I will trade you both of my trucks and all my NOS stuff..lol
You got a cool truck, you gotta keep it man.
Posted via Mobile Device

big mike71 11-30-2012 10:46 PM

Thanks, I hate to see you selling yours, but I understand it. I clicked on your boy HEAVYMETALCHEVY's facebook page and now I'm getting a bunch of wierd phone calls from some gym, a finacial consultant and a college saying I sent emails to them.

72BlckButy 12-01-2012 11:46 PM

Considering selling your truck Mike? Surprised buddy. Keep us posted if you decide to take the plunge. :)

Good luck with the sale kingsolver. I've seen both trucks on CL during my various searches.

kingsolver72 12-15-2012 09:11 PM

Ok looks like I will be installing new fuel lines. I bought 3/8 lines. The truck had the smaller 5/16 lines. I am guessing the smaller lines must mean that Sketcky had a 2 barrel carb at one time. I got a free tank from Low Elco, it is an non EEC tank. Same as the old junky one. I installed a new non EEC sending unit. I have a question, will I have any issues going with the larger fuel lines?
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 12-16-2012 09:27 AM

Should be fine, as long as you have adequate venting. You're not going to some giant gas sucking monster though, it ought a be fine. PS- I just missed the trailing arms in your cl garage sale! Durnit, durnit, durnit! Do you still have both beasties? Bidness pickin' up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Palf70Step 12-16-2012 09:29 AM

Shouldn't be an issue. I was told when I still had the six in mine to go ahead and use the bigger ones since I needed to replace them, especially if I planned on a larger motor in the truck's future..

kingsolver72 12-16-2012 05:14 PM

Thanks Bill and Chip for the reply.
Hey Chip, if I would have known I would have kept the trailing arms for you. A kid here in town had one arm break on his truck. I have never heard of that happening before, I don't doubt it though. Another local guy bought my ochre 72. Work is slow...however I have been laying carpet out of Sketchy. A guy is supposed to come by and take a look/test drive today. If he doesn't show up I may just pull the craigslist ad and buy a 12' trailer to haul carpet and pad. I kinda wouldn't mind a 60-66 chevy LWB.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 12-16-2012 05:21 PM

Cool, pullin for ya! There's a place in grandview right of 71 that specializes in the monster vans preferred by carpet layers everywhere. Just afraid you'd use a grip of fuel with that trailer. I have a small job, but it wouldn't be worth your windshield time. Good luck, I hope you still hang around here!
Posted via Mobile Device

kingsolver72 12-16-2012 05:31 PM

One goal in life for me is to never own another van. Another is to have an old truck in what ever condition,keeping life simple. I saw a 61 apache stepside long bed out in western ks. It was different and cool. Just wasn't the right deal for me. I don't mind work slowing down I just don't need it to stop.
Posted via Mobile Device

kingsolver72 01-07-2013 08:10 PM

So today was the day Sketchy gets heat. Been driving around without heat and solved the mystery of why the heater blew cold. The diverter box was wide open. It's nice and cozy now. Ain't on fire,just looks that way.:smoke:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Zoomin 01-07-2013 09:01 PM

How did you fix it?
Posted via Mobile Device

72BlckButy 01-07-2013 09:26 PM

You got it warm just in time for 50 degree weather. :D

kingsolver72 01-07-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 5802677)
How did you fix it?
Posted via Mobile Device

All three cables from the heater controls are broke, started poking around under the dash. There is a sealed grommet with a cable going through it. I pop it off and pushed the diverter door close. Temporary fix but an easy one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5802759)
You got it warm just in time for 50 degree weather. :D

I know:lol: it's Kansas it'll get cold again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 01-07-2013 11:52 PM

I happen to have a complete heater setup complete with cables, let me know. Glad Sketchy's hot again!
Posted via Mobile Device

kingsolver72 01-08-2013 12:17 AM

Bet! I'm interested. I'm working on getting new exhaust from another board member.
Let me know the particulars....price..stuff like that.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 01-08-2013 09:02 AM

I'll holla at Boppa and let you know.

kingsolver72 01-09-2013 12:27 AM

Well I met up with kcsa75 tonight and bought a dual exhaust kit from him. Bill is a great guy. I met his outlaw buddy Ringo. Thanks again Bill.
Sketchy is going to lose the dumps. I will get some pictures of the process.
This truck may one day be a respectable truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zoomin 01-09-2013 12:34 AM

That's a day we all work for, Scott. :)

Congrats on getting another step closer.
Posted via Mobile Device

kingsolver72 01-09-2013 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I opened the box this morning preparing to do the exhaust work. Looked under the truck and see that there is a oil/fluid leak. Not good. So now I need to locate the leaks before I continue on. As I regroup the neighbor comes over and says some one he knows needs carpet and vinyl measured and installed in a rental. So went and measured a job.
Good news is tomorrow I make a few duckies, the not so good news is the exhaust work will have to be pushed back to a later date.
I have learned to be patient with this truck.:ito:

kingsolver72 01-19-2013 08:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some of the bleeding stopped today. It still has a couple of small oil leaks. 65 degrees today so I took Sketchy for a cruise. I out ran a train.

kingsolver72 01-30-2013 07:53 PM

Had a cracked exhaust manifold and got another one from teeitup Monday afternoon,installed it yesterday. That was kind of a mad scramble. Man am I glad he is so close!
Sketchy got a new water pump today. The old water pump was leaking through the weep hole. I think thats where the majority of the leaks were coming from. Getting closer to installing the new exhaust.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 01-30-2013 09:06 PM

The truck is looking great! I really hope work picks up for you! Are you still selling Sketchy or keeping him for your work truck now?

kingsolver72 01-30-2013 10:50 PM

Thanks Ryan.
I have had The truck listed on C.L. Been getting a lot of calls. Most people want to trade. Everything from cars,motorcycles,4x4 trucks and even a house.:sumo:
I just reset the timing 45 minutes ago and man Sketchy is really alive now.
The more work I do the less I want to get rid of it. But honestly I probably have the truck listed too high but I figure that with all the legal stuff I had to do to get the title right and the mechanical things it is close to evening out.
If work picks back up I may buy a van and keep Sketchy. I told my wife that and she said if I did that I would come full circle.:lol: that would be scenario that I could live with but I really like having just one vehicle other than the wife's.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device