The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Redemption" 68 SWB Fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=694029)

swamp rat 03-12-2016 03:13 AM

Re: Project "Redemption" 68 SWB Fleetside

Looks great Keith, what are the plans for the rear? C notch? Or?

Bennett68C10 03-12-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7519380)
Looks great Keith, what are the plans for the rear? C notch? Or?

I'm going to be running a Porterbuilt Rear Extreme Dropmember along with their inner frame stiffener! Supposed to be here in April so I'm just waiting patiently for them to show up :lol:

Sac 03-16-2016 03:34 AM

Awesome man, glad you are back at it! Making me think about starting on mine again..

How do you like the Choppin Block compared to the Porterbuilt front?

Bennett68C10 03-17-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sac (Post 7524270)
Awesome man, glad you are back at it! Making me think about starting on mine again..

How do you like the Choppin Block compared to the Porterbuilt front?

Honestly, I like them both. I wanted to try something new with the Choppin Block front kit and liked that I didn't have to notch the frame for the steering rack. My only issue now is my OCD with having the Choppin Block front and Porterbuilt rear :lol: But once it's covered up by some sheet metal I'll forget all about it.

big_al_71 03-20-2016 06:35 AM

Glad to hear that you have bounced back.
Love the idea of what your truck is becoming

Subscribed

Sac 03-20-2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7525621)
Honestly, I like them both. I wanted to try something new with the Choppin Block front kit and liked that I didn't have to notch the frame for the steering rack. My only issue now is my OCD with having the Choppin Block front and Porterbuilt rear :lol: But once it's covered up by some sheet metal I'll forget all about it.

Good deal man. Agreed, once its covered... It'll be just as badass no matter what.

Bennett68C10 03-20-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_al_71 (Post 7528709)
Glad to hear that you have bounced back.
Love the idea of what your truck is becoming

Subscribed

Thanks Al, happy to have you on board for my next journey! Hopefully nothing gets in the way of me finishing this one :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sac (Post 7528710)
Good deal man. Agreed, once its covered... It'll be just as badass no matter what.

Thanks, just checked out your new build thread, I love what I'm seeing in that rendering!

Sac 03-21-2016 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7529025)
Thanks, just checked out your new build thread, I love what I'm seeing in that rendering!

Thanks man! Couldn't let you have all the fun with a new build. haha

Bennett68C10 03-21-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sac (Post 7529824)
Thanks man! Couldn't let you have all the fun with a new build. haha

:lol: At least you have an exact idea of what your end result will look like. I still haven't figured that out!

boostedc10 03-21-2016 09:17 AM

Keith,
Good to see you back at it again. Don't know how I missed the new build thread but I'm in for the ride. You must not be posting to Instagram or I would have noticed!

Bennett68C10 03-21-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedc10 (Post 7529967)
Keith,
Good to see you back at it again. Don't know how I missed the new build thread but I'm in for the ride. You must not be posting to Instagram or I would have noticed!

:lol: it's never to late to jump in on the ride! I've posted a few pics up on IG but there's not much going on right now as I'm waiting on the rear suspension to come in!

Sac 03-21-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7529937)
:lol: At least you have an exact idea of what your end result will look like. I still haven't figured that out!

Mine sounds exact, but I haven't rattled off some of the ideas in my head. haha

Bennett68C10 03-22-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sac (Post 7530264)
Mine sounds exact, but I haven't rattled off some of the ideas in my head. haha

I have to try to keep the ideas in my head to a minimum! That's when changes start happening mid build :lol: I don't need to be doing that again!

jeh 03-22-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7531353)
I have to try to keep the ideas in my head to a minimum! That's when changes start happening mid build :lol: I don't need to be doing that again!

Yeah, cause somebody will end up with a new set of wheels:lol::lol:

Bennett68C10 03-22-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 7531851)
Yeah, cause somebody will end up with a new set of wheels:lol::lol:

:lol::lol: you are correct about that!

jeh 03-22-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7531985)
:lol::lol: you are correct about that!

I'm just joking with ya Kieth!!!

1000rrstunna 03-28-2016 12:30 AM

Nice build so far! I realllly want to do the same front brakes... They look killer... Nice choice on the wheels as well! Glad you like them.

Bennett68C10 03-28-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 7532051)
I'm just joking with ya Kieth!!!

I know you were buddy, I was just saying you are absolutely correct about the wheels. Already wishing I went a little bigger!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna (Post 7537858)
Nice build so far! I realllly want to do the same front brakes... They look killer... Nice choice on the wheels as well! Glad you like them.

Thanks, can't wait to see how your turns out as well. You started with a much nicer truck then I did. I love those big Wilwoods, I say go for it especially with the size wheels I saw you want to run. I really like the Mag-G's, just wish they made them in 22's, I really want to run 22's all the way around. I had 20's in my head when I bought them but really like the way these trucks lay out on 22's.

Bennett68C10 04-04-2016 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the rear suspension out this weekend in preparation for my Porterbuilt rear Dropmember and inner frame stiffener. Hopefully they will be here soon! This weekend I'll work on all those pesky rivets and remove the crossmembers.

Bennett68C10 04-04-2016 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also opened up the rear and pulled the factory 6 lug axles! I have a open peg leg rear which means it will definitely get rebuilt with a new posi and gears! Any opinions on what posi to go with?

boostedc10 04-04-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7547443)
Pulled the rear suspension out this weekend in preparation for my Porterbuilt rear Dropmember and inner frame stiffener. Hopefully they will be here soon! This weekend I'll work on all those pesky rivets and remove the crossmembers.

Waiting on parts is the worst. I have parts sitting around in the garage that I can't install because I am waiting on other parts, this happens all the time! As for the rivets, a cutoff wheel and an air hammer does the trick every time for me.

smbrouss70 04-04-2016 10:55 AM

Eaton supplied the original posi's and will be just like the original clutch-type setup. Although for just a little more money, I have been looking into the Detroit TrueTrac setup since it doesn't use clutches (and can't wear out the friction material) and acts like an open carrier until you need it. I haven't used one yet, but after all my research, I think I will try one in the near future. Just my $.02.

preacher anthony 04-04-2016 09:19 PM

I agree on choice for removing rivets. I used both on mine w/ Ben at Alexander Speed. I got tired of counting how many GM used.

boostedc10 04-04-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7547456)
Eaton supplied the original posi's and will be just like the original clutch-type setup. Although for just a little more money, I have been looking into the Detroit TrueTrac setup since it doesn't use clutches (and can't wear out the friction material) and acts like an open carrier until you need it. I haven't used one yet, but after all my research, I think I will try one in the near future. Just my $.02.

Problem with the truetrac is they don't make a 3 series carrier. So you have to run 3.73 or higher. I ran both and on the street noticed very little difference, I actually prefer the clutch style a little more.

Bennett68C10 04-05-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedc10 (Post 7547450)
Waiting on parts is the worst. I have parts sitting around in the garage that I can't install because I am waiting on other parts, this happens all the time! As for the rivets, a cutoff wheel and an air hammer does the trick every time for me.

I use the same method with the cutoff wheel and air hammer as you do. Still sucks though :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7547456)

Thanks for the input, I don't know much about the different posi designs so it definitely helps to hear about the different options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by preacher anthony (Post 7548237)
I agree on choice for removing rivets. I used both on mine w/ Ben at Alexander Speed. I got tired of counting how many GM used.

Yeah, it's amazing how many rivets they really used. I think I counted 12 in the trailing arm crossmember alone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedc10 (Post 7548328)
Problem with the truetrac is they don't make a 3 series carrier. So you have to run 3.73 or higher. I ran both and on the street noticed very little difference, I actually prefer the clutch style a little more.

Ok, looks like I'm going to have to start researching this. I guess I need to learn a little bit more about rear diffs :lol: