The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I give up on shipping anything USPS (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816104)

Mid-Pack 03-25-2022 10:20 AM

Re: I give up on shipping anything USPS

The drivers have a lot to with the experience. Some are lazy and don`t care, will basically kick the packages out the truck. While others will take the time and care delivering the package to please the customer. Like most any job out there.

leddzepp 03-25-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8922419)
-
Had to bring this back to the top. Here is my latest fiasco. I ordered 3 pair of socks that are made in Osage, Iowa 142 miles from me. Here is the tracking history. You have to start at the bottom & read up.

Tracking History

May 18, 2021
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

May 17, 2021, 5:23 pm
Departed USPS Facility
KENT, WA 98035

May 17, 2021, 10:24 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
KENT, WA 98035

May 17, 2021, 9:54 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SEATTLE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 16, 2021, 6:39 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SEATTLE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 16, 2021, 6:12 am
Departed USPS Facility
KENT, WA 98035

May 16, 2021, 5:37 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
KENT, WA 98035

May 16, 2021, 5:15 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SEATTLE WA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 15, 2021, 3:27 pm
SEATTLE WA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 13, 2021, 4:20 am
DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 13, 2021, 3:05 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
OSAGE, IA 50461

May 12, 2021, 3:42 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
OSAGE, IA 50461

May 12, 2021
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

Des Moines, Iowa is 60 miles from me, Kent, Washington is 1879 miles from me....

LockDoc

Watching this package travel through the usps system is like watching an episode of the Benny Hill show :hh: :hh: :hh:

72c20customcamper 03-25-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9056613)
Here's a couple of photos of a package I received about a week ago. You be the judge....

I’ve had packages like that but 99% of the time it was something to bulky or heavy for the box . I got a drag link for my Dodge from a diesel site made by synergy thing was super heavy and the put it in a cardboard box that was so flimsy it fell apart . FedEx had me come to the facility to see if it was damaged . Should have been in a tube or PVC .

72c20customcamper 03-25-2022 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya I don’t think so. Been in NJ since 3am Thursday . Even if it gets to our PO they won’t leave it at the mailbox . They leave a note that it’s at the PO and they close at 12 . Mail comes around 1 . 8 business days so 10 with the weekend is unacceptable

72c20customcamper 03-26-2022 08:49 AM

Now its Albany NY . No delivery date listed this is stupid .

https://youtu.be/ov4epAJRPMw

Boog 03-26-2022 09:09 AM

Yes. It is. And when I have visited the PO looking for a parcel I only get a blank stare as if to be saying "yeah yeah, I hear you but I could not care less".
I learned recently we can ask for an investigation into our missing mail. And we can file a complaint with the postal service. Note: they make it so complicated few if anybody will go through the trouble of filing one.
I may have already posted this or not.
A lady at the DMV told me she had a problem with her mail being repeatedly dropped on the ground below her mail box in the ditch. She found her disabled dad had to get down in the ditch to get it. She also found most everyone on her street had the same issue. She finally caught the mail guy on camera dropping hers and her neighbors mail on the ground. He was removed from her route but unknown if he was fired or not. Ridiculous!
Obviously, all mail carriers are not bad, but the bad ones give the whole business a bad rep.

special-K 03-26-2022 09:50 AM

I have no complaints about my post office. It seems well run with good employees. Most have been there as long as I can remember. The two newest clerks have been there over 5 years. We know each other's names and I hear them giving good helpful info all the time.

I used to be really happy with my carrier. More than happy, actually. He seemed like a friend, although a quick chat at the box is all we ever did. He always ran the same mail truck and he had the hubcaps from his '66 Chevelle on there. I saw one was missing and I gave him another one. I guess he either quit or moved. Now I have "Little Grasshopper". This little guy acts like he'll get fired if he doesn't try to run his route as fast as possible. I can tell the difference in the sound of him coming up the road. Stomp the gas, stomp the brakes, stomp the gas. Even opening and closing the mailbox is done as if he's trying out for the Olympics. He has about broken off my flag. I don't even send mail from my box anymore because of him. I guess it adds to his ET to cut the wheels left to back on the hardtop leaving my box. He runs across the grass on the far side of the driveway. It's all rutted up. I caught him at the box and asking him to please keep the truck on the pavement, that he was tearing up the place like no carrier before him since '87. Damned if he didn't end up doing it again after a while. Worst ruts yet! Now I have a stack of rocks there. The bottom one is big enough to send his head into the roof if he hits it. Well, maybe not his little head. But one day I came home and they were knocked over like someone had run over them. I hope it gave him a knot! I hope to catch him today, if it's him working the weekend. I'll have to be a little more firm this time. I've thought about making a sign to post where the rocks are that has an arrow pointing left and says "road". If he runs that over I'm slapping some bearing grease on the mailbox where he grabs it :lol:

FleetsidePaul 03-26-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9057049)
I have no complaints about my post office. It seems well run with good employees. Most have been there as long as I can remember. The two newest clerks have been there over 5 years. We know each other's names and I hear them giving good helpful info all the time.

I used to be really happy with my carrier. More than happy, actually. He seemed like a friend, although a quick chat at the box is all we ever did. He always ran the same mail truck and he had the hubcaps from his '66 Chevelle on there. I saw one was missing and I gave him another one. I guess he either quit or moved. Now I have "Little Grasshopper". This little guy acts like he'll get fired if he doesn't try to run his route as fast as possible. I can tell the difference in the sound of him coming up the road. Stomp the gas, stomp the brakes, stomp the gas. Even opening and closing the mailbox is done as if he's trying out for the Olympics. He has about broken off my flag. I don't even send mail from my box anymore because of him. I guess it adds to his ET to cut the wheels left to back on the hardtop leaving my box. He runs across the grass on the far side of the driveway. It's all rutted up. I caught him at the box and asking him to please keep the truck on the pavement, that he was tearing up the place like no carrier before him since '87. Damned if he didn't end up doing it again after a while. Worst ruts yet! Now I have a stack of rocks there. The bottom one is big enough to send his head into the roof if he hits it. Well, maybe not his little head. But one day I came home and they were knocked over like someone had run over them. I hope it gave him a knot! I hope to catch him today, if it's him working the weekend. I'll have to be a little more firm this time. I've thought about making a sign to post where the rocks are that has an arrow pointing left and says "road". If he runs that over I'm slapping some bearing grease on the mailbox where he grabs it :lol:

Leaving ruts in your yard is completely unacceptable. I would complain to the Postmaster. Although I did complain once and my packages showed up smashed after that. It might be a coincidence.

We have "contract' mail carriers, so it's always someone different. Only one guy wears a uniform. He's the best but he only works once in a while. The rest aren't so hot. There is one cute girl that comes by once in a while. She's nice and did I mention. She's really cute. ;)

mongocanfly 04-04-2022 05:01 PM

Today I got sticker shock for shipping..
I had a small box (shoebox size) to send from Alabama to Arizona..
It weighed less than 2lbs..under $100 value..regular ground..so off I go to UPS.. lay it on the scales..the lady punched a few buttons and stated "thatll be $52.87"...SAY WHAT!!!!...I asked her 3x to make sure I heard her correct.. all she could say was I'm sorry but that's how much itll cost... I can't express how I felt and what I really wanted to say as I snatched up my box a left..
Drove down the road to the post office and shipped the box for under $18..
I'm still in shock

joedoh 04-04-2022 05:38 PM

usps priority is still the best for me, I ship heavy stuff in priority mail boxes almost every day. they say up to 70 lbs but they complained when I would put 56 lbs of steel in one box so now I send two. had some delayed deliveries last year and a single lost package but since feb no issues.

it might be due to me now though, i started double boxing and covering all edges in fiberglass reinforced tape. people would send pictures of boxes when they got them before and they were always broken up/busted open. now they make it in one piece. I got a return friday and he didnt follow my method and usps delivered it in one of their baskets! nice souvenir?

so even though my shipping cost has more than doubled (2 boxes instead of 1, extra packing, extra tape), its still about half what fed ex charged, and i need my own boxes with fed ex.

Boog 04-04-2022 06:26 PM

They also have a formula for pricing. So many inches wide by long and around. I sold a part for $45 that I had given $54 for and didn't use. I gave the buyer a price before pricing the shipping cost. I took it to UPS and cost me $35 to ship to Co or Nev. The part only weighed maybe 3 lb. I didn't like it but I paid it and sent it off. On my way out the door the woman said "you know if that box had been 2" shorter it would have cost less to ship". No, I didn't know that. Dayem, the part was in the original box and was at least 8" shorter than the box.. Next time I'll cut the box down as close to part size as I can get!
And that includes things that ship by USPS too.

special-K 04-05-2022 07:29 AM

I sold a steel windshield visor at a shipped price to a member in OR. I took it to our local UPS franchise in town. Got a quote and everything done, except I didn't have the phone number. Came back later with the number and the man, I assume the owner, gives me a price that was way higher than I was given hours earlier. I would have been paying more for shipping than the cost of the part. I told the guy and he said it was because of all the packing material. "No, I had it all packed and ready to ship". He had no intentions of honoring the earlier quote the employee had written down, so I said "Seeya" and drove 20 miles to FedEx and shipped for considerably less. I never deal with that UPS place now. It's either USPS in town or drive 20 miles for FedEx or Greyhound

FleetsidePaul 04-05-2022 08:35 AM

I heard Greyhound was good and inexpensive. But when I took a tailgate to them they showed me the door. They wouldn't take it. UPS took it at a higher price.

USPS is 50/50. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I bought a CD online and got a tracking number. It was dropped off at a post office in Louisiana and sat there for over a week. I finally got it. Maybe the employees were listening to it. Who knows.

72c20customcamper 04-05-2022 09:21 AM

I just recieved 2 14'x48' heavy duty tarps actually used billboards . Large box 80lbs they used FedEx shipped on Monday from California was at my door Friday mid afternoon . Cost $66 to ship I'm sure they get a volume discount

KW5413 04-05-2022 10:16 AM

In its infinite wisdom Amazon continues to ship via USPS. Receiving an item on time is a 50/50 shot for success, at best. I ordered a small part to be shipped to my office. USPS tracking had it arriving Fri as per Amazon's noted arrival date. Friday morning tracking showed "Out for delivery"...it didn't show. I needed for Saturday up at the lake house. So, off we went Friday evening with no package.

Later that evening I checked USPS tracking again only to find a notice that basically said they attempted delivery at 1:58 P.M. Friday but, no one was home. Well, that was lying BS. Again, this was delivered to my shop. I was there along with the rest of my staff. Not only were we there but, it was a beautiful day, and the front door was propped open and vehicles parked out front.

I checked tracking on Saturday afternoon. DELIVERED TO MAILBOX!

It's one thing to have delivery issues and another to flat out lie. I have a meeting with the local Postmaster tomorrow. Won't change anything but I at least will take my shot. It isn't the first time I have had to have a little chat with this Post Office.

IMPO there is no accountability within the USPS system. From the top down. And the union has management by the B A double "L's". In addition, it seems local management fears it will lose their Independent Contractors if they say "BOO!" to them.

USPS has a herculean mission and moves billions of parcels a year. The problem is they just can't seem to manage it very well and management is afraid of their own shadow. At the very least...have given up. It's just a job. As a side note: A discussion we cannot have here is how Congress muddies all the USPS waters.

Boog 04-05-2022 10:34 AM

We can all understand a hickup in the deliveries now and then. Things happen. Break downs, substitute routeman, misdirected mail. One of my missing USPS parcels was on the wrong delivery truck for 4 days, according to the post master. And why was that? Someone didn't care enough to return it to the hub and hand it off to the right truck. That really chapped my hide since I had to pay for 2 day delivery, no choice, and I didn't get that. It was more like 8 days. And I didn't get a partial refund on the cost either. And I guess unless the sender asks for a tracking # there is no way to run it down.
I know issues at one PO doesn't mean all of them are the same but plenty of people are unhappy with the postal system all over the country.

special-K 04-05-2022 10:52 AM

Years ago, I bought something on Ebay that wasn't showing up. I remembered being upset with the seller for his lack of concern. He got his money and the rest was on me. I reported it to USPS, six months go by looking like a loss, then the package shows up looking fresh and clean like it had just been sent. Who knows how that happened? It must have ended up in some corner they never get all the way back to

joedoh 04-06-2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9061893)
I remembered being upset with the seller for his lack of concern.

I get this sometimes, my business and busyness means I am either cutting parts or mailing parts, with a short window for taking orders in the morning. I dont track every package I send so usually I dont know there is a problem or delay until the customer tells me.

now once they tell me I file a missing package form on the USPS website, and make sure both our emails are attached so they get the same updates. but there is literally nothing I can do past that, they will not let you file a missing package claim on insured priority mail for two weeks and one day after the mailing date, on a package that was supposed to be there in 2 days. and after two weeks the package is usually marked "arriving late" which ends the missing mail search. it sucks but there is literally nothing for me to do. I took the order and shipped within 24 hrs, usually within 12hrs. I cant send replacement parts and double my costs when I know it will show up. People say "send it fedex next time" but dont understand it would almost triple the shipping cost, which is baked into my price, so a 20% increase in total cost? sellers cant win with logistics the way there are. 90% of the packages get there no problem. I only had one real insurance claim last year and ever since I started paying for delivery confirmation, no more late arrivals.

you know what was weird though, was the packages that were getting lost were less than a 6 hr drive from me. one guy waited almost 3 weeks for a package to amarillo tx, I could have driven there and back almost 21 times in 3 weeks. Kansas City, st jo mo, bolivar mo, all places 6 hrs or less from me. but flushing NY, Bend OR, Washington state, all those parts recieved in 2 days. it was really strange. I know part of it is because it goes air to the closer hub and the local packages go truck, but I am talking about the losing almost every package 6 hrs or less.

richard2717 04-09-2022 04:48 PM

Fed Ex just sent me an email that my blazer gas tank is held up at the Hagerstown depot and will not be delivered until Monday. This was 2 hours after my FedEx driver dropped it off this afternoon. Would be sweet if another one does show up on Monday :lol:

FleetsidePaul 04-09-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 9064143)
Fed Ex just sent me an email that my blazer gas tank is held up at the Hagerstown depot and will not be delivered until Monday. This was 2 hours after my FedEx driver dropped it off this afternoon. Would be sweet if another one does show up on Monday

:lol: I had the same thing happen. My "delayed' package was already unpacked and in my kitchen

CG 04-09-2022 05:35 PM

This thread had me seeing red here at home a couple of weeks ago. Was expecting a medium sized package (FedEx) with some expensive vitamins and supplements. I kept an eye on the tracking. Although I don't believe we have a problem with package theft in my area you just never know. Supposed to be on my porch, Ill run home at lunch and grab them. Nothing!!! I checked the website, dropped off at 10AM ... Not a darn thing. A screw up or stolen in the just over an half hour from drop off to the time I get home for lunch. I remembered this thread, great now there is a screw up I get to write about. I went to both of my neighbors across the street ... Do you guys have cameras? Nope sorry.

I tried to call the depot ... sorry please call back during business hours ... Why did I wait to long to finally call them?

After already looking on my porch (wide open except for a couple outdoor chairs) nothing. I was heading back in and noticed something behind one of the chairs (they are about 10ft from the front door), there was my package. The person carefully hid it from prying eyes, mine included lol.

I wasnt unhappy with them after seeing what they tried to do. I mean we have a ok sized covered front porch and I had them leave packages half on and the other half in the rain. So all is well that ends well. =)

special-K 04-11-2022 05:24 PM

I ordered a 100 pc heat shrink butt splice kit that was to be delivered tomorrow, I think (or later). This morning I see I have an e-mail that said it would now arrive today early. I had no idea who the carrier was, but the package was with my mail in the mailbox in a USPS package. Yep, they got it to me a day quicker than originally figured. Goes to show you just don't know. I understand people getting upset when things don't go right, and it's happened to me before. But I'm not ready to give up on the USPS

FleetsidePaul 04-12-2022 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9064178)
This thread had me seeing red here at home a couple of weeks ago. Was expecting a medium sized package (FedEx) with some expensive vitamins and supplements. I kept an eye on the tracking. Although I don't believe we have a problem with package theft in my area you just never know. Supposed to be on my porch, Ill run home at lunch and grab them. Nothing!!! I checked the website, dropped off at 10AM ... Not a darn thing. A screw up or stolen in the just over an half hour from drop off to the time I get home for lunch. I remembered this thread, great now there is a screw up I get to write about. I went to both of my neighbors across the street ... Do you guys have cameras? Nope sorry.

I tried to call the depot ... sorry please call back during business hours ... Why did I wait to long to finally call them?

After already looking on my porch (wide open except for a couple outdoor chairs) nothing. I was heading back in and noticed something behind one of the chairs (they are about 10ft from the front door), there was my package. The person carefully hid it from prying eyes, mine included lol.

I wasnt unhappy with them after seeing what they tried to do. I mean we have a ok sized covered front porch and I had them leave packages half on and the other half in the rain. So all is well that ends well. =)

I don't think that I could get mad at that either. It sounds like they were just trying to look out for you.

I have the opposite problem. They leave packages way out in my driveway. But I can't blame them. I have a big crazy dog and a not so big fence. I can see how a person wouldn't want to get close.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...Dodger_Dog.jpg

special-K 04-12-2022 07:09 AM

At least the Post office backs into my driveway and sets the package inside the vestibule to the door that faces the driveway, which is the obvious door we use to go into the house. Out of sight from the road and out of the weather... perfect. UPS and FedEx used to also always did that. I'm talking for decades. It was a no brainer, just how it always went no matter who made the delivery. But somehow in recent years it has come to where UPS and FedEx drivers will drop the package on my front porch in plain sight of the road and not dry if the wind is blowing rain. My guess is they have gotten in such a hurry that they stop in the road in front of my house and run straight up the steep slope to my front door. They surely aren't coming in my driveway, going up the steps, along the walk, and up the porch steps when it's so easy to drop in the vestibule directly from the driveway. I remember back when people didn't cut across peoples lawns when there was a walkway to use.

We never use the front door. When all this started my front steps were rotted up. The packages started showing up on the porch so I put a piece of wood across the rails and wrote >>> Deliveries >>> across it. I would still get packages on the front porch. They would move the piece of wood and go up rotted steps. Unbelievable. Forget how I want things done or what makes better sense. what about looking out for your own safety??

It's pretty ridiculous but I think I need to build a gate across the bottom of the front steps with a delivery sign with an arrow pointing to the driveway. Then have a nice sign made that says "Deliveries" with an arrow pointing to the vestibule to hang just outside of it. Do you think that will work??

richard2717 04-12-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9065502)

It's pretty ridiculous but I think I need to build a gate across the bottom of the front steps with a delivery sign with an arrow pointing to the driveway. Then have a nice sign made that says "Deliveries" with an arrow pointing to the vestibule to hang just outside of it. Do you think that will work??

nope they will just toss it from the gate to the porch :lol: It is all about how fast they get back these days. Seems like I have a new UPS driver every week now