The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849236)

68bowtie 12-26-2023 02:42 PM

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

It’s already law in California Mike. People keep suggesting that it’s not. It already passed. It just doesn’t go into effect until 2026.

I agree there is growing public dissatisfaction, but that doesn’t mean the state will retract the law.

And with respect to being able to buy used ICE vehicles, guess what it will do to used car values for all of YOU? Supply and demand…

FirstOwner69 12-27-2023 01:10 AM

I have not been following this thread, but here is a link to a Motor Trend article I just received that may be of interest and add some fuel to the fire. Sorry if someone already posted this.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...campaign=print

Ol Blue K20 12-27-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 9270392)
I have not been following this thread, but here is a link to a Motor Trend article I just received that may be of interest and add some fuel to the fire. Sorry if someone already posted this.

Things that make go HMMMMM!

Boog 12-27-2023 12:10 PM

This Motor Trend article may have already been posted. IDK. These are some of the cars being discontinued after 23/24.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...age=AA1ebvTE|9

The last Challenger has already rolled off the assembly line.

MikeB 12-27-2023 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 9270392)

What an eye-opening article by the Motor Trend writer's experience with the F150 Lightning on a long trip! I knew about charging stations where sometimes only half the chargers work, and also that they don't charge at anywhere near their advertised rate. But this SNAFU goes well beyond that. Until these "range anxiety" issues are resolved, EVs will remain unsuited for long distance travel.

DeadheadNM 12-27-2023 05:18 PM

WSJ article today

How Electric Vehicles Are Losing Momentum with U.S. Buyers, in Charts

HERE

Boog 12-27-2023 07:21 PM

The road test by Hoovie was real world use and it couldn't make the short trip and back.
My feeling about ev is they are little more than a novelty at this point for most buyers. They aren't ready for the masses or the same use as ice vehicles.

Getter-Done 12-27-2023 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry (Not Sorry) :lol:
Attachment 2323846

truckster 12-27-2023 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9270625)
Attachment 2323846

That's hilarious!

Steeveedee 12-28-2023 12:16 AM

Quote:

Attachment 2323846

:lol: (wipes away a tear) :lol:

MikeB 12-28-2023 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9270547)
WSJ article today

How Electric Vehicles Are Losing Momentum with U.S. Buyers, in Charts

HERE

Had I seen a chart like that when I was in sales, it would have told me my company's wonderful new product had some early adopters, but the shine was wearing off. Time to come up with a breakthrough product with a wider appeal!

I'm hoping we see some manufacturers back off on their "EV only" strategies, or at least add hybrids to their offerings. My wife's SUV lease is up soon, and we are looking to replace it with a gasoline-powered model, but we're open to hybrids.

CAMAROBOY68SS 12-28-2023 07:13 PM

Quote:

Attachment 2323846

man those lego kits are getting really realistic now, lol

CAMAROBOY68SS 12-28-2023 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9270795)
Had I seen a chart like that when I was in sales, it would have told me my company's wonderful new product had some early adopters, but the shine was wearing off. Time to come up with a breakthrough product with a wider appeal!

I'm hoping we see some manufacturers back off on their "EV only" strategies, or at least add hybrids to their offerings. My wife's SUV lease is up soon, and we are looking to replace it with a gasoline-powered model, but we're open to hybrids.

Yeah at this point I think the people that want EV have them now and until they get really cheap then the demand is not really going to go up. I think the OEMs are starting to realize that the ev only push is not working as GM and Ford are scaling way back on production as stuff is sitting. Also doesnt help Chevy as they just put a stop sale on the new EV Blazer as its a mess.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...Q8CZF8ZZbPtJys

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-28-2023 07:41 PM

They seem to work in the city for some, regular schedule. My girl has a Volvo EV. Manufacturer says 0-60 in 5ish. More like 2-3. It's an inconvenience for traveling, and not really made for it. Other than that, so far so good after a year. I give it another four before she tires of it.

She paid $500 for a rear tire, fronts are probably more because that's where the weight is. She was lucky to get away with one. If there's any wear the shops only install two. EV are not an investment, they're a statement, and destined for recycling. I'd never buy one.

mongocanfly 12-29-2023 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta love it

Steeveedee 12-29-2023 11:46 AM

IMO they should be left to burn, with the surrounding areas maintained for safety. The silly things even burn underwater!

MikeB 12-29-2023 01:49 PM

An excellent, rational article along with reader comments from the Yahoo Finance website.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyot...135430237.html

I haven't been to Yahoo Finance in a long while, but they were the first financial website I ever used, and that was in the late 1990s. They're certainly not "hair on fire" zealots for one side or another. But it looks like some of their readers are!

62c30 01-02-2024 11:07 PM

I seen pictures of an electric airplane that was having some certification test done on it and it randomly caught fire. Took 250,000 gallons of water and two and a half hours to put out. Just wait until you look up and see a ball of fire in the night sky in a few years. This battery stuff is crazy ..

68bowtie 01-03-2024 12:47 AM

So true fact… I have toured some grid scale battery banks being tested. The Li-ion versions literally have signs to tell fire fighters to stand 100-ft away and watch it burn. Not a joke…

Accelo 01-03-2024 03:18 AM

June 12, 2023
I-95 bridge collapse update: Driver lost control of gas-filled tanker before fire.

https://www.mcall.com/2023/06/12/off...coast-highway/

In the first official accounting of a wreck that threw hundreds of thousands of morning commutes into chaos and disrupted untold numbers of businesses, state Transportation Secretary Mike Carroll said the driver was northbound “trying to navigate the curve, lost control of the vehicle, landed on its side and ruptured the tank.”

As a result, Interstate 95 will be closed in both directions for weeks at the start of summer travel season. The elevated southbound portion of I-95 will have to be demolished, as well as the northbound side, Carroll said. Motorists should avoid the northeast corner of the sixth-largest city in the country, transportation officials said.

Pennsylvania State Police said a body recovered from the wreckage on the off-ramp from I-95 has been turned over to the Philadelphia medical examiner and coroner. Authorities are in the process of identifying the remains.

DeadheadNM 01-03-2024 09:57 AM

Jan 1, 2024

Cargo ship carying lithium-ion batteries on fire for 5 days in Alaska
The Coast Guard has established a one-mile safety zone around the vessel for the duration of the response effort.

Article HERE

The ship Genius Star XI, a ship owned by Taiwan-based Wisdom Wise Group, was transporting lithium-ion batteries from Vietnam to San Diego.

68bowtie 01-03-2024 10:00 AM

The point is not that batteries have more risk, the point is that they aren’t a knight in shining armor, and therefore not worthy of mandates.

Steeveedee 01-03-2024 10:22 AM

I'm betting money that when gasoline use as a fuel for motor vehicles began, there was the same sort of resistance, and quite possibly worse. Difference is that batteries carry both fuel and oxidizer together, so the oxidizer can't be easily separated. That's a hurdle that probably can't ever be jumped.

Getter-Done 01-03-2024 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2325469

Keith Seymore 01-03-2024 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9272684)
I'm betting money that when gasoline use as a fuel for motor vehicles began, there was the same sort of resistance, and quite possibly worse. Difference is that batteries carry both fuel and oxidizer together, so the oxidizer can't be easily separated. That's a hurdle that probably can't ever be jumped.

Back then, the resistance to the internal combustion engine was that they were loud, smelly, and ran on flammable fuel.

The resistance to electric vehicles was that they were heavy, took time to recharge and had limited range.

And here we are, 120 years later, having the same conversations.

I guess steam is off the table, so we've knocked that one out.

K