The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Dug's 1959 Fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515876)

tpimuncie 03-19-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

all i can say is WOW!! AWESOME WORK!

dug224 03-30-2013 03:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on a new welder. Wanted to get the Millermatic 211 but could not justify the cost. Ended up getting an Eastwood 220 Volt MIG. Comes with a spoolgun and free shipping for $499. All the reviews I read were good so we'll see. Also, bought a 100' 8/3 extension cord off of Craigslist for $60.

I got the final portion of the trans tunnel bent and welded in. I have decided on the final location of the e-brake so, time permitting, it may get installed tomorrow. Decided to use the factory piece it mounts to that I got out of the donor and simply weld tabs to it so I can bolt it in place. It will be an inch or so off the floor to clear the rear floor beam. I intend to install the tabs under the unit so they are out of the way of the carpet, etc. Helps with installing the cables to have it removable. The cables will exit thru the wall in the back of the cab. Had to cut and reweld the floor in three places to relieve some of the floor warpage/dents and get it to meet up with my tunnel piece. I keep having to remind myself that all this stuff will be under paint, dynamat, carpet and, in some cases, the center console.

Kim57 03-30-2013 04:18 PM

The trans tunnel came out nice.
Kim

dug224 03-31-2013 05:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
E-brake is in. Ended up welding bolts to the floor and using nuts to hold it down. Logistically, I can install the handle and cable in the bracket then mount the assembly to the floor. May put a plate under the cab to stiffen the floor at the front mounting bolts. Handle location looks pretty good and feels like it could have been a factory location......dug

Kim57 03-31-2013 08:46 PM

That came out nice.
Kim

OrrieG 03-31-2013 08:52 PM

Looks right at home with the seats. Nice job.

dug224 04-01-2013 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More e-brake stuff. Drilled the back of the cab and routed the cables thru the wall in order to see if the e-brake actually works. It does. Holes will get grommets. The plan worked pretty good. Connect the cables with the unit loose and upside down. Fortunately, the brake mechanism allows you to flip a switch and pull the cable out in order to reach the cables from the wheels. Once you get it back in, flip the switch back and it ratchets into place. You can see I have decent clearance between the brake handle and the shifter when in Drive.

Cab comes off next and I replace passenger floor, both steps and both cab corners. dug

dug224 04-06-2013 10:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My new best friend arrived from Eastwood. Dramatic improvement in performance over the old MIG I was using. Bought a H.F. cart to hold it up. Also, got an old metal table from a buddy of mine that will soon be my welding table. Will remove the old rusted and bent top and replace with an angle iron frame supporting a new 24" x 60" piece of plate. Debating 3/16" -vs- 1/4".

Finally found a use for the 2x12 flitch beam I cut out of the front of my house several years ago when I added a porch. Made a stand for the cab complete with casters robbed from a furniture dolly. The cab is sitting on its mounting points so it does not even know it is off the frame.

Got the driver step removed. The truck manual I bought early in the project really helps identify the spot weld locations and quantities. Driver cab corner is next. Used some old spot weld cutters a bought a few years ago. Drilled a small pilot hole to keep it centered and kept the oil on it to keep it cool. Worked perfectly. The guy on the spot welder was definitely drunk back in 1959. The leading edge of the step had enough rust to make those spot welds disappear. Went ahead and cut the step at the leading edge. I will figure out how to remove that portion of the step later. A little more trimming is required before it fits. Note the step came pre-dented. dug

Kim57 04-07-2013 10:35 AM

Neat stuff.
Kim

OrrieG 04-07-2013 02:02 PM

Not a ratrod, just an old unrestored exterior truck. Rat rodders go out of their way to make things look, well, ratty. Nothing wrong with good honest wear and tear as long as its safe.

dug224 04-07-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 5996356)
Not a ratrod, just an old unrestored exterior truck. Rat rodders go out of their way to make things look, well, ratty. Nothing wrong with good honest wear and tear as long as its safe.

OrrieG...After reading dubies thread today, I believe you meant to send this one to him.....and, I agree with your statement. ...dug

_Ogre 04-08-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dug224 (Post 5995399)
My new best friend arrived

i'm hurt... i thought we were your bff :D:D:D

have fun with your new welder.
with floors, steps and rockers ordered you two will be intimate soon enough :D
what is your parking brake lever out of?

dug224 04-08-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 5998665)
i'm hurt... i thought we were your bff :D:D:D

have fun with your new welder.
with floors, steps and rockers ordered you two will be intimate soon enough :D
what is your parking brake lever out of?

Lever came out of the Buick Ranier (same vehicle as the Trailblazer) that I had in the driveway a few months ago. Tried to get the trans tunnel out of it before it hit the crusher. Tunnel did not work out. Managed to get and use the steering column, pedal assembly and the e-brake.

dug224 04-14-2013 05:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got distracted by the welding table. Built a new frame for the top and welded down the top plate. Mounted the one of my Dad's old vices. Used up some old spray paint to further the rust proofing. The Eastwood 185 performed flawlessly.

Also, cleaned up the driver step mounting points and fitted the new step. Removed an old bracket off the old step and will spot weld it on the new one after I get the hang of the antique spot welder I inherited. The spot blaster really came in handy cleaning up the hard to reach corners and the center step riser bracket. Note that the new step comes with vertical flanges to front and back rather than the horizontal flanges on the old. You can see that the floor has a bow (down) to it. Bolted a bracket to one of my seat mounting nuts and slipped a very large crow bar through it. A slight pry up took the bow out and the step slipped right in. It is still not quite seated yet. The bottom needs to move in about 1/4".

dug224 04-17-2013 08:54 PM

Link to the driver door lower hinge brace repair message board thread for future reference.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...92#post6018392

dug224 04-20-2013 03:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So....driver door hinge support is complete. Now onto getting the door straight in the cab followed by finalizing the location of the driver step. The bad news is that the door lines up in the cab worse than expected but just about like it was when I got it. The portions of the door that rub on the cab still rub. Big gap at the bottom rear and no gap at the top front. May get better as I get the step in place and refine the adjustment of the hinges. This door was not original to the truck so this may add to the fun. I suspect I will be trimming some of the edges and adding material others.

Kim57 04-20-2013 07:40 PM

You're learning what countless others have about these trucks. the doors fit terrible.
It takes hours to get the gaps right. I had to add in some places and remove in others.
It's worth it in the end.
Kim

dug224 08-14-2013 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Delay of game...Had to stop the truck because I have an opportunity to build new shop......the only catch is that I have to build a new house as well. Working on the design and will try to work in the construction between hurricane seasons. Truck build will restart as soon as possible after the house build. dug

ricott 08-14-2013 10:54 AM

Glad to see you updated. Good luck with the house on the Water. It looks like it will be at 8' elevation, so I am assuming it will be on 8 foot piers? I have been in remodel h*!!for the last 7 months, and on the road a lot, so my truck (and the corvette) have just been sitting. The good news the last of the project should be completed by the end of this month, and then I have time to work on the truck or the 58. Keep us updated with pictures of the home construction (we like all kinds of projects !).

Ricky

dug224 08-14-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricott (Post 6220180)
Glad to see you updated. Good luck with the house on the Water. It looks like it will be at 8' elevation, so I am assuming it will be on 8 foot piers? I have been in remodel h*!!for the last 7 months, and on the road a lot, so my truck (and the corvette) have just been sitting. The good news the last of the project should be completed by the end of this month, and then I have time to work on the truck or the 58. Keep us updated with pictures of the home construction (we like all kinds of projects !).

Ricky

Bottom finished floor elevation to be 2' above flood Zone "AE" elevation 6' which puts me at 8' which makes it insurable. Shop will be at the same elevation. The main floor to be about 12' above grade which makes for a great view. House will be done in phases so I can afford it...maybe. Come 8 March 2014, I will able to dedicate all my waking hours to the house and truck. Hang in there on your renovation...Dug

waybad 10-02-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 6024288)
You're learning what countless others have about these trucks. the doors fit terrible.
It takes hours to get the gaps right. I had to add in some places and remove in others.
It's worth it in the end.
Kim

you sir are CORRECT!!!!
my doors probably fit better on a F%rD truck than they do on mine.. urgh..
this is a great build,, can't believe I never saw it!! good luck with the house,, don't forget about the truck>> LOL

ricott 10-03-2013 08:58 PM

I know you said you were waiting until after hurricane season to start on the house. With what is now brewing, and the projected landfall, hope you haven't started. Take care. Ricky

dug224 10-11-2013 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricott (Post 6298399)
I know you said you were waiting until after hurricane season to start on the house. With what is now brewing, and the projected landfall, hope you haven't started. Take care. Ricky

Nope..just a rain event. The house is still under design. Met with insurance guy yesterday and will meet with the City of Orange Beach today. Flood plain discussions... Slight redesign may be in order to achieve a rating of "Fortified" construction. Fortified helps keep insurance rates down.

I have managed to add a SKAT BLAST Bead Blast Cabinet to my lineup. Sure could have used this early on. Can't wait to get back to it. Dug

_Ogre 10-11-2013 02:35 PM

not sure what i'd want to fight, hurricanes and flooding or snow.
i know when the snow melts my house will still be here :D
i just really hate snow any more

SCHRUMGMC 10-25-2013 10:26 PM

Updates???

dug224 10-27-2013 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for asking. No real updates on the truck, however, I did manage to acquire a 70's Honda CT70H that needs restoration (it looks better than it is) and a 70's Kawasaki KV75 minibike (it actually runs better than it looks). Collecting projects for my future shop and stuff to put in the back of my truck. Stay tuned...dug

dsraven 11-05-2013 11:49 PM

hi guys, I have a 57 gmc that i am working on. I have a bunch of stuff already done to the stock frame, but now I am thinking of using a trailblazer frame instead. Dugg makes it look so easy. by the way, dugg, have you got any pics that show the ride height with the cab and front fenders installed? did you swap the tires to be smaller so you don't have rub issues on the fenders, or was it a looks thing? i need to get some measurements before I start, my truck is a long bed and I want to keep it long because I plan on extending the cab. I am possibly going to look at a trailblazer tomorrow, we'll see if the guy calls me back.
any info on the swap would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys

dug224 11-06-2013 06:48 AM

dsraven...the swap hasn't been too bad to date. It is still like eating an elephant though...one bite at a time. My cab is currently sitting on 4x4's and not on the frame mounts so i can't help with measurements at this time. It is a matter of stripping the frame and moving the cab and front clip around on it until the front wheels land in the fenders correctly (to your eye) and the cab is where you want it vertically. By my thread, you can see that the transmission is now up in the cab a bit. Seems to be plenty of room between frame and cab floor. No rubbing of the wheels in my case. The wheel and tire size is in my thread somewhere. Stock Trailblazer wheels are used. If you want to save a good bit of effort, you will want to buy a long wheel base frame WITH a V-8 (assuming you want the V-8) already in the frame. Get the entire SUV if possible. That way you have all the extraneous stuff required to make it work. Not sure the difference in the SWB and LWB but, if you are going to add an extended cab, could add as much cab as it takes to push the real wheel openings to the correct location. I would say my loss of bed depth is in the 6" range. Good luck...dug

dsraven 11-06-2013 10:45 AM

hey Dug,
that little honda 70 brings back a few memories. my son and i fixed one up for my kids back when they were little. he learned a lot but unfortunately didn't get to drive it much because he sprouted like a weed and it got too small. he graduated to an xl100 the following year, which he also had to go through. my daughters took over the 70. just by looking I would say you got a better one than we did to start. you have the better handlebars, front forks etc. make sure to smooth out the rusty spots on the forks before you sit on it or the rough spots will take out the fork seals. also remember to fab up a guard for the muffler or your leg will be sorry. you will have a scar to talk about at the lake though, ha ha.
good luck, there isn't that much to those old bikes, that is why they are still around.
I am waiting for a call back from the guy with the trailblazer. it is an inline 6 truck with the running gear etc still operational after a roll over. we will see if it is straight or not.
thanks for the info. maybe if I spend enough time I will be able to figure out how to start a project build thread for my old 57. lots of mistakes there...

dug224 11-07-2013 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 6350665)
hey Dug,
that little honda 70 brings back a few memories. my son and i fixed one up for my kids back when they were little. he learned a lot but unfortunately didn't get to drive it much because he sprouted like a weed and it got too small. he graduated to an xl100 the following year, which he also had to go through. my daughters took over the 70. just by looking I would say you got a better one than we did to start. you have the better handlebars, front forks etc. make sure to smooth out the rusty spots on the forks before you sit on it or the rough spots will take out the fork seals. also remember to fab up a guard for the muffler or your leg will be sorry. you will have a scar to talk about at the lake though, ha ha.
good luck, there isn't that much to those old bikes, that is why they are still around.
I am waiting for a call back from the guy with the trailblazer. it is an inline 6 truck with the running gear etc still operational after a roll over. we will see if it is straight or not.
thanks for the info. maybe if I spend enough time I will be able to figure out how to start a project build thread for my old 57. lots of mistakes there...

You really need to start a thread. It is profoundly easy to do and, once you do it, it will become part of the build process. The help you will get from the other builders, if for motivation only, will be worth it. Hey, get one of your kids to do it. They can figure out any of the high tech stuff. Added a ride height photo from Jan 2013 which was just before I yanked the cab and front clip off of it.

Kim57 11-07-2013 11:27 AM

Looks good.
Kim

OldChevysRule 03-11-2014 03:01 PM

Dug.....I spent a few hours a couple of nights ago going through your entire thread. You are doing an awesome job. If I had had my truck(s) a few years ago, I would have loved to have gotten that 4X4 setup from you. I plan to convert one of mine to a 4X4 and the other will remain a 2X4. I have been toying around with the idea of the TB frame swap, but I am not sure if my finances, skills, and patience will allow it! I haven't seen any updates since November of last year, so I guess the house is keeping you busy. Hopefully, you haven't forgotten about the truck!! Thanks, Jason

dug224 03-11-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevysRule (Post 6569773)
Dug.....I spent a few hours a couple of nights ago going through your entire thread. You are doing an awesome job. If I had had my truck(s) a few years ago, I would have loved to have gotten that 4X4 setup from you. I plan to convert one of mine to a 4X4 and the other will remain a 2X4. I have been toying around with the idea of the TB frame swap, but I am not sure if my finances, skills, and patience will allow it! I haven't seen any updates since November of last year, so I guess the house is keeping you busy. Hopefully, you haven't forgotten about the truck!! Thanks, Jason

Jason...still rolling it in and out of the garage occasionally and looking at it. Made a run at a 2008 Trailblazer SS the other day at Copart but was unsuccessful. Cool factor was high and would have been worth starting over. Was willing to pay $2100 plus fees but got hammered. Somebody wanted it way worse than I did. Looks like the 6.0 liter SS engines are worth in the $3.5k range. Not sure what it sold for but when I turned off the auction, it was at $3k. A wrecked TB is pretty cheap with the 6 cylinder. The 5.3's that fit it are pretty cheap too. You can do it!!! Skill is not an issue....trust me.

House is still under design. Gotta sell some rentals and such before we make it happen. Dug

OldChevysRule 03-12-2014 03:33 AM

I am glad to see that you haven't lost interest. I would like to see the finished product. There is an insurance holding yard just down the road from my house in Theodore. They hold wrecked cars until the insurance claim is processed and salvage title, etc. That is where the body shops around Mobile get their wrecked cars to fix and resell. I think you have to have a dealer's license to purchase from them. I believe they auction the vehicles as well (live auction). Just thought I would pass that along to you.
Jason

dug224 03-12-2014 07:37 AM

Jason...sent you a quick Private Message. Thx dug

ricott 03-12-2014 08:15 AM

Dug,

Glad to see your build pop back up. Did you pull the trigger on March 8, and if so , does that mean you will be spending more "quality time" in the garage? Thanks again for all your measurements, they are helping immensely on my 55 pickup. I am taking it a step further and also using the floorpan from the Trailblazer. My wife's 5.3 engine is a screamer in her 2007 Envoy - so your truck should have plenty of power with a 5.3. I will be updating my build this weekend - hope to see you doing the same.

Ricky

dug224 03-12-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricott (Post 6571096)
Dug,

Glad to see your build pop back up. Did you pull the trigger on March 8, and if so , does that mean you will be spending more "quality time" in the garage? Thanks again for all your measurements, they are helping immensely on my 55 pickup. I am taking it a step further and also using the floorpan from the Trailblazer. My wife's 5.3 engine is a screamer in her 2007 Envoy - so your truck should have plenty of power with a 5.3. I will be updating my build this weekend - hope to see you doing the same.

Ricky

The '58 restomod Vette makes me permanently envious. Can't wait to see the floor pan usage in the '55. Trigger gets pulled 27 March on retirement. Retirement paperwork technicality keeping me on the job till then. Spending most of my time designing the new house. Drawing with Autocadd is like riding a bike...you never forget. Went from a stand alone shop to a 1,400 SF uninsured garage on the lower level under the house which in "on grade". Whittled the house down to 2,400 sf which I may be able to afford. The good news is that I will be able to roll my tools to the lift and haul them upstairs if a hurricane threatens. Next time you are in OBA, let's get together. dug

DeeGee 03-26-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dug224 (Post 6571200)
Trigger gets pulled 27 March on retirement. dug

Exciting days ahead! Congratulations again!

dug224 03-31-2014 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok...so, I am back. Uncovered the truck, dusted it off and decided to redirect my energy to making the 5.3 stand alone like I should have before I got distracted with the body work and not wanting to do the electrical work. I have read everything I can get my hands on and feel a bit more ready to dive in. Harness is 90% labeled and about to come off the engine. Need to skinny back under the truck and pull the plugs that I plugged into the transmission. Still having nightmares after seeing Ricky's exploded LS wiring on top of the 6.0 in his son's GTO.

I will soon order a 20+/- circuit wiring kit for the body. Any input on which one to buy will be appreciated. Unless there is a substantial difference, I will probably go with one like EZ since the price better fits my budget.

ricott 03-31-2014 03:36 PM

Glad to see you back at it! If the plug on the transmission gear selector shaft has not been taken off before, take a heat gun and heat the connector to get it to release. The GTO was more difficult because I pinned out every wire. I don't think that is necessary for your project (I don't plan to do it on my truck). The absolute best thing you can do is to get the engine wiring schematics from that year harness to plan it out - I'm sure I used AllData. Good luck, and PM me if you want to chew the fat.

Ricky