The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Pro Touring "Ole Blue" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=441627)

Mechanic77 09-23-2013 12:50 AM

Re: Project Pro Touring "Ole Blue"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6280589)
Tell me about it.
I ditched trying to go off of anything that might be factory and started using the force. A little bit of the Dark Side goes along ways.

:lol: and you're not afraid to tackle anything ;)

Mechanic77 09-23-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6280616)
First time through your entire build. incredible engineering and fab skills. Very impressive!

Thanks man!!! I'm probably going to end up rocking some JD Blitz Black like you did on your truck....used it on my bike and I've been very impressed with it so far.....and it's cheap ;)

Low Elco 09-23-2013 10:19 AM

Great fab skillz, love the truck! Really like the mid-bed. Just the right proportions. Thought the outside shots looked familiar, I'm from Valley Center originally.

lowlife4life 10-12-2013 09:47 AM

What is the wheelbase of your truck? I'm building a 63 and cutting down a long to short. Do you have pics of the box from the side?

Mechanic77 10-12-2013 10:42 AM

I haven't measured the wheelbase, but it should be roughly 4" longer than a short bed, because I didn't cut it down to a full short bed (bed is 5" longer than a short bed). The only decent side pictures I have of it are in post #110 on page 5 of this thread ;)

lowlife4life 10-12-2013 10:53 AM

thanks went through your thread but mustve missed page 5 truck is looking great

DREAMER1 11-19-2013 06:49 PM

Well I kno you've heard this a million times...any updates? Pics? Etc

Mechanic77 11-19-2013 08:07 PM

Not much to report....I've got the tailgate mounting and latches all finished and the rear bumper mounts tacked on.....that's it.....
I'm hoping to get some work done on it over thanksgiving weekend.....hopefully.......

ol_skool_chevy 01-24-2014 08:41 PM

Love to see a nice side photo of your 9- 6 Bed on the truck....I'm getting ready to cut mine...
Nice truck

ChrisDollins 04-07-2014 04:10 PM

Any new updates? The years old pic of it outside aren't working for me anymore. We need some progress haha.

Chris

Modges'66 04-07-2014 07:27 PM

Dude!
Are you still working on this?
I need updates!

Mechanic77 04-08-2014 10:54 PM

Sorry guys, haven't made any notable progress.....doesn't look like I'll get much done this summer either, my parents and I are moving our auto repair shop into a new shop this summer so I won't have time for much else for a while :waah:

ChrisDollins 04-09-2014 08:40 PM

Understand life gets busy! I've been going back and forth on wheel/tire size. I'm use to the 17"wheel 26"tire that fbodies run. Was just wondering how that short of a tire looked on our trucks at ride height. I'm not bagged, but do plan on going another couple inches lower front and back. 5" front 6" rear total static drop. I just like how the 315/35/17's look and would like to run that on mine.

Chris

rico12410 06-19-2014 09:59 AM

woww.. awesomeee works bro!

siggyfreud 06-19-2014 01:07 PM

Great built! You may have already answered it and I missed it, but where did you get the metal for the bed floor?

Mechanic77 06-20-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6727557)
Great built! You may have already answered it and I missed it, but where did you get the metal for the bed floor?

Thanks, the metal for the bed floor is just 18 gauge paint-lock sheet metal that I ran through my beadroller.....way more work than it was probably worth ;)

By the way, I checked out your thread....nice :metal:

Bhelton 03-01-2015 11:29 AM

updates?:ito:

Mechanic77 03-01-2015 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been holding out on you guys.....sorry.....

I bought another truck last summer and I've been working on it instead of this truck.....although now that I have it up and going, I have been making some progress on this truck. Here's a link to the build thread I just started on it:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661948

On this truck, I got the bed all finish welded up, undercoated the bottom of it, and I'm starting on bodywork.

Attachment 1371073

I've actually got the exhaust built (other than tailpipes), and the air tank is now mounted to the frame. I'll get some pics posted up soon.....

joedoh 03-01-2015 04:18 PM

Hey andy I was in burrton last year, we bought a focus svt for LD2 from what had to be one of your neighbors because I swear I saw your stepside languishing under a tree a couple houses away. I was on the lookout for the shmedium though so it didnt occur to me it was yours.

truck still looks great!

Mechanic77 03-01-2015 08:08 PM

Cool, you probably saw my truck over at my buddies house....he lives on the northwest side of town, only half a block from the highway :)

BigJoe29 03-01-2015 11:53 PM

get cranking, while mine is sitting under a cover waiting for its turn to be worked on yours gives me ideas :D looks good man

67cheby 03-02-2015 11:36 AM

nice work, dig it !

Mechanic77 05-17-2015 02:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Man, I'm terrible about updating this thread.....I've done a little body work, but that's about it.....
Anyway, tranz am had some questions about my watt's link setup so here's some pics to help you out:

Attachment 1404168

Attachment 1404169

Attachment 1404170

Center pivot is made out of 1/2" plate with 8" center to center where the links bolt to. There are two more round 1/2" plates welded to each side (making the center an 1.5" thick) that I had machined to accept a generic bearing I found that had a .75" id to it. If I were to do it again I would be tempted to just machine it for a brass bushing and sleeve.....keep it simpler. I still have to machine a spacer to go between the bearings so I can tighten the pivot bolt without binding it up.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.....

tranz am 05-19-2015 10:55 AM

Thanks! Your the man!

Rob Fisher 06-25-2015 11:28 PM

I really like what you are doing with your truck and the fact that you are doing all the fabrication yourself, very nice work.
I went the easy route and put Porterbuilt suspension font and back.
Would you share some information about the sway bar setup that you used in the rear.
How long are your end brackets, what bar diameter, etc.....
Supplier and part numbers would be great.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob Fisher

Mechanic77 06-26-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Fisher (Post 7221833)
I really like what you are doing with your truck and the fact that you are doing all the fabrication yourself, very nice work.
I went the easy route and put Porterbuilt suspension font and back.
Would you share some information about the sway bar setup that you used in the rear.
How long are your end brackets, what bar diameter, etc.....
Supplier and part numbers would be great.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob Fisher

Man, you're going to test my memory.....I went out and measured the bar I have, and it's a 1.25" dia hollow bar with .25" wall, and the arms are 10" center to center in the shortest hole and 13" center to center on the longest hole (4 holes total, 1" between each), I made them adjustable so I could tune on it if need be. I'm going to start with the arms as long as possible and shorten them up until I get the truck balanced. If I remember correct, I came up with that size by using a chart that Speedway Engineering has for their sway bar torsional stiffness and I believe an 80% differential between the front and rear bar stiffness. I think I got the 80% from Rob off the Make it Handle thread....I believe the length of the bar makes a difference too on the stiffness....it's been way too long to remember for sure....

Yep....here's a link to the page with all the charts: http://www.1speedway.com/sb_rates.htm
...the length does play into it, so you have to keep that in mind. I know mine are different lengths front to rear, so I had to figure that in.

If you need anything else, let me know.

rhd_c10 08-10-2015 07:05 AM

great fab work

LostMy65 09-20-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic77 (Post 4881959)
Ok, now for an update.....

I've actually been working pretty hot and heavy on the truck.....I've shortened the bed and I'm hoping to finish the fuel tank this weekend, and maybe, just maybe ;), get the framework for the bed floor done too....

And now for some pictures :metal:

Before I cut the left bedside.....which, by the way, I just picked up from Joedoh (thanks!!)....much better than the one I was planning on cutting up :)

Attachment 796355

.....and mocked up for the first time :metal:

Attachment 796356

.....and as it sits right now :)

Attachment 796357
Attachment 796358

More pics to come......

Did you do 12" out of the front and 8" out of the rear?

Mechanic77 09-21-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 7314756)
Did you do 12" out of the front and 8" out of the rear?

No, I actually cut 9" out of the front and 6" out of the rear....I felt like the short bed was a little too short, so I made it just a bit longer....

thumpros@yahoo.com 11-08-2015 08:09 PM

Mechanic77, That looks bad ass brother. Which front and rear shock absorbers are you running on your frame pictures?

Thanks/

Rod

Mechanic77 11-09-2015 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpros@yahoo.com (Post 7369233)
Mechanic77, That looks bad ass brother. Which front and rear shock absorbers are you running on your frame pictures?

Thanks/

Rod

Thanks thumpros....I'm running single adjustable QA1's on the front (fit an 1984 C10 front end) and Edelbrock IAS shocks on the rear (stock application). I might end up changing the rears out for some QA1's....we'll see....

laid67 02-26-2016 11:00 PM

I know all about falling off of a project, but I really wanna see this thing rolling, curious how much your chassis bracing helps with the frame twisting, i'm looking to do something similar. Great build so far though!

CousinTone 08-10-2018 11:44 PM

Just wondering...

1965life 08-19-2018 10:07 PM

Following the build awesome job