The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1989 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527100)

v-man 04-01-2013 01:27 PM

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

I'm pretty sure Ryan modified the GMC np205 transfer case support, nothing under the tranny.

v-man 04-01-2013 01:31 PM

Whoops, I went out and looked. GMC support cut and modified sitting tranny tail peice

v-man 04-01-2013 01:59 PM

can't post picture

v-man 04-01-2013 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMG_1123.jpg Hey what do know

6BT 56 04-03-2013 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ryan. Do the tie rod ends in this pic hace a oem application? Im going to have to do something like this for my 56.

Dieselwrencher 04-04-2013 02:44 PM

Yes I believe they are Chevy D60 tie rod ends.

1985-GMC 04-04-2013 10:58 PM

One is left and the other is right hand threads right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 04-05-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5991948)
One is left and the other is right hand threads right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but you could use 2 rights or 2 lefts. You can't really turn the bar to adjust where you want it due to the bend in it. You still have to remove a tie rod and adjust it.

1985-GMC 04-05-2013 09:56 PM

Ah, makes sense. I didn't even think of that, durr...
Posted via Mobile Device

v-man 04-09-2013 01:14 PM

Help!!!!!!! These pulsating gauges are driving me crazy. I can't believe there's not a fix. I replaced 1 battery and installed new voltage regulator a early dodge 2 wire style. Have combed every ground I could find and cleaned and rehooked up. From my research it sounds like a bad ground can produce these symptoms. When the truck is first started it is fine and then after about 30 seconds everything starts pulsating, Gauges, lights, heater fan, heck even the motor sounds like its chiming in. Everything seems to work and system is charging just very annoying. Wondering if anyone has any ideas for a work around. The guys at the fire station are wondering if the voltage regulator has a weak capacitor. If so would ther be a better way to go. do they make a alternator with a built in regulator that would fit a 1st gen cummins. Any help or ideas would be welcome.

1985-GMC 04-09-2013 02:41 PM

Does it have a lope at idle? And does it do it just at idle or all the way through the rpms too?
Posted via Mobile Device

v-man 04-09-2013 03:00 PM

Dosen't seem to lope and pulsates all the through just not as bad at higher rpm's

1985-GMC 04-09-2013 03:32 PM

Sounds like it could be a bad regulator, have you checked what the alternator is putting out with a volt meter?
Posted via Mobile Device

v-man 04-09-2013 03:41 PM

autozone ran diagnostic's after i replaced napa's regulator with a new one. Alternator putting out 14.2 batts good alternator good regulator good. I'm in way over my head, but it seems like a regulator problem.

v-man 04-09-2013 03:41 PM

wondering if there's a better set up?

1985-GMC 04-09-2013 05:20 PM

I would go and check everything over with a volt meter to see what's going on. What is your grid heater doing? Check your fuseable links too. A Chevy 120 amp v belt 1 wire alt should work, just change out the pulley for yours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 04-09-2013 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 6001254)
wondering if there's a better set up?

You can try a Ford external regulator. You can get one at any parts store. A 1991 Ford Diesel would have one.

You won't find much else for a First Gen dodge application other than what you have, or using a factory ECM..................

Dieselwrencher 04-09-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 6001252)
autozone ran diagnostic's after i replaced napa's regulator with a new one. Alternator putting out 14.2 batts good alternator good regulator good. I'm in way over my head, but it seems like a regulator problem.

After some research and talking with some others who run these dodge external regulators, this is just a normal characteristic with these.

6BT 56 04-09-2013 10:39 PM

The local Alt and starter guy converted my stock dodge alt to 1 wire. I saw it on the test bench . 14.7 V and 90 amps ? if I recall. I can ask what he did tomorrow.

Its on the truck now and seems to work well. I however have not had a volt meter on it yet. The lights go much brighter when you start the truck tho.

v-man 04-10-2013 03:28 PM

Happy days, Don't have the foggiest idea when it comes to electric. Ryan nailed it with the 91 ford voltage regulator. I just followed his diagram with some positive re enforcement and now the gauges and lights are rock solid no pulsing and the system is charging at 14.4 volts. Thanks Ryan

mosesburb 04-10-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 6003374)
Happy days, Don't have the foggiest idea when it comes to electric. Ryan nailed it with the 91 ford voltage regulator. I just followed his diagram with some positive re enforcement and now the gauges and lights are rock solid no pulsing and the system is charging at 14.4 volts. Thanks Ryan

Wow. Who'da thought you could fix a Dodge in a Chevy by installing Ford parts?? Ford electrical parts at that?!? Dogs and cats living together...... Glad you got it figured out. I dealt with a vehicle years ago that had a mild case of the fluctuations and even that was annoying as all hell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indian113 04-10-2013 08:02 PM

I love this Frankenstein! If it wasn't a "smoker" I would own one. This is Hot Rodding at it's best. Reminds me of the 60's when we would use ANY motor we could find to make our cars run.

ERASER5 04-11-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 6003851)
Wow. Who'da thought you could fix a Dodge in a Chevy by installing Ford parts?? Ford electrical parts at that?!? Dogs and cats living together...... Glad you got it figured out. I dealt with a vehicle years ago that had a mild case of the fluctuations and even that was annoying as all hell.
Posted via Mobile Device

And Ducks! :lol:

Ackattack 04-16-2013 04:55 PM

I'm having the same issues with my lights pulsing using a 2nd gen dodge alternator and a dodge external regulator. Guess I'll try the f&^d regulator as well.

v-man 04-16-2013 09:03 PM

It's worth a try, my system is still rock solid.

v-man 04-16-2013 09:19 PM

Ok, It's no secret, I'm no mechanic, although i can change my oil, and do lots of misc stuff mostly with my skirt on, like dusting, windows and carpet. But i need some idea's. After driving the V-Rig for awhile now and Vizsla's finally getting used to the Cummins, I'm only getting about 10-11mpg with intown/highway driving and occassionlly pulling my 12ft H&H dump 4000lbs empty. I'll admit the newness hasn't warn off and it's hard for me to keep me foot out of the carpet. ? is this about right or should I be getting better milage.I used to get about 13 with my 7.3 manual f-350 dually towing or not. I read in some of these forums that 17-20 is possible. Also what fluids could i expect to have draining from crankcase vent. Looks to be watery oil, possibly diesel fuel with a little black oil? Some farmers at the cafe said that may I might have a bad injector. Does that sound right? Thanks for any help

ryanroo 04-16-2013 09:42 PM

pull the dipstick and smell the oil. if its runny and has a diesel smell it could be an injector.

Dieselwrencher 04-17-2013 01:05 AM

It could also be the injection pump input shaft seal leaking which can put diesel into the crank case. If it were an injector, it would either smoke horribly, run rough, cough, and the exhaust would smell of diesel fuel bad. In the crankcase vent you can get condensation in the hose and that can make the end look milky. This is also caused by crankcase pressure, sort of aireration.

The mileage being down may be due to the 3:54's and 35's. But, if this is combined with towing, it's hard to say for sure. The auto may eat some of that too with the gears and tires. Mine is a manual and does better than yours, but while towing it does drop down.

v-man 04-17-2013 01:43 PM

Ok, research update. with concensus with my tree buddy-no diesel in the oil, and liquid coming from vent tube could be condensation, watery with no diesel smell. Most likely diesel leak is water/ fuel separator valve on fuel filter. right know the filter is a Napa 3379 and I'm assuming thats a stock valve on the bottom. The only aftermarket filters with built in valve are Napa 3472 gold, A wix 33472, and it looks like fleetgaurd make a similar one but not as easy as the other two. Would either of those other options be good or not.

On another note the V-Rig got a foot peddle mod. I noted about a 3/4 inch amount of play in pedal before throttle engaged. I placed a old split shot line sinker on the throttle cable at the foot feet end and now have no slop and it feels like a additional 60hp. I think this might have been part of my problem. I have so much carpet and pad that I think i was having trouble advancing the throttle. I'll wait for some hopeful responses before changing fuel filter:chevy:

v-man 04-17-2013 01:43 PM

whoops:gmc2:

Dieselwrencher 04-17-2013 02:00 PM

Tony, I have this Fleetgaurd filter on my truck: FS1251. It has no plastic water drain like the kind on your truck now. It has a metal drain valve in it like what's on a radiator. Napa may be able to cross that to a Wix number too. Yeah, that carpet sure bunched up below the gas pedal. It's probabaly like a new animal now!

6lcummins 04-17-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6017725)
Tony, I have this Fleetgaurd filter on my truck: FS1251. It has no plastic water drain like the kind on your truck now. It has a metal drain valve in it like what's on a radiator. Napa may be able to cross that to a Wix number too. Yeah, that carpet sure bunched up below the gas pedal. It's probabaly like a new animal now!

That FS1251 is in stock here at Kenworth, we have four and they are around $14 a shot and are a normally stocked item, plus its 100x better filter than WIX.

v-man 04-19-2013 08:25 PM

Got the Fleetguard filter installed, hope that does the trick. Looks like the injection pump could be a source of some leaking, I'm not sure. will check tommorow after I haul a load to the farm. She's running great after that little foot feet dodad. I definitely see rear air bags in the future. Loaded dump trailer puts the hurt on. H&H trailers axles are too far aft, puts to much tounge weight:waah: At some point going to have to modify engine mount. Seems to be smacking the differential to often. Burned down Accurate mechanical last night. Have to find a new shop for cylinder work. Have a great weekend everyone:gmc2:

v-man 04-20-2013 08:10 PM

Indeed. Had 3 fuel lines leaking at the injection pump. Finally the source of all that diesel fuel. Thanks to the DieselWrencher for over the phone tech advice. I've never heard of crowfeet wrenches. But I now own a set of metric ones. You aint getting those puppies tightened without them. Had 3 lines that needed snugging up. So far she's bone dry. This stuff is small potatoes for you guys, but for me I'm learning something everyday. What did guys do before the internet. thanks for all the advice.

kwin 07-28-2013 10:27 PM

Been studying your posts, getting ready to start my swap In the next week or two. Moving the jeep (cummins in it) and the 3/4 ton suburban frame into the shop. Looking forward to getting some progress. Got to pull the head off the cummins and see where one impeller blade when from the old turbo. Yuck!
Posted via Mobile Device

kwin 10-14-2013 09:03 PM

Could you possibily post a shot from the rear that shows how well the track width suits the body?
There is a shot of the rear but its shadowed.

thanks

Keith

COS399 02-14-2014 03:25 AM

V-man,

Just came across this thread and I thought I would pass on to anyone doing one of these conversions that you can avoid the Ford regulator fix by adding an internal regulator inside your alternator. I had the same issues and Ken, at Autoworld Conversions, gave me the part number for the internal regulator, installed it in less than 30 minutes and no more light fluctuations. I did this to my '88 back in 2006 and haven't had any issues. It also cleans up the engine bay and the need to find a place to mount something else. I can post the part number when I find it.

v-man 02-17-2014 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info, so far the regulator we switched to has been working great. No oscilating lights and the tach is rock solid.

Dieselwrencher 02-17-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COS399 (Post 6525249)
V-man,

Just came across this thread and I thought I would pass on to anyone doing one of these conversions that you can avoid the Ford regulator fix by adding an internal regulator inside your alternator. I had the same issues and Ken, at Autoworld Conversions, gave me the part number for the internal regulator, installed it in less than 30 minutes and no more light fluctuations. I did this to my '88 back in 2006 and haven't had any issues. It also cleans up the engine bay and the need to find a place to mount something else. I can post the part number when I find it.

Can you share the part number of the internal regulator please? Thanks Ryan.

v-man 03-08-2014 09:35 PM

Re: 1989 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Okay drove to the fire station to go to work this morning 50 miles at 70mph. got out of the bus, that's what they call it. Massive oil leak. Come to find out, the timing indicator pin on the back of the timing case fell out, I lost 7 1/2 quarts of oil. it all ended up on the bottom side of my truck. I can't believe that much oil escaped. Is that possible? Called the Dieselwrencher and he hooked me up with some timing pin class. I'm never going to set the timing so I plugged the housing with a expandable rubber plug and filled it back up with oil. Does that sound about right? Would love any comments.