The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   47-55.1 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=714917)

joedoh 07-11-2020 12:11 AM

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

I bet you get all the looks driving that around!

vintovka 07-11-2020 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8772507)
I bet you get all the looks driving that around!

You know its kinda weird, Certainly not a show truck but it get honks and waves just about everywhere.

vintovka 01-24-2021 12:54 PM

Been busy last 6 months with our move. Restoring a 70 year old cabin during the faux-demic put every thing else on hold. Need a new garage for the 54 and contractors now want 2.5 times as much as last garage we built just two years ago at other house where it sits today. Most likely get a metal one instead of a 55K+ (!!!!) stick built. Things here are beyond dismal. No shows, parades or anything just grumpy masked morons. Will be flying flag upside down next time i drive it

vintovka 12-23-2021 09:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well a year has passed. Not a very good year at that. New garage is built and the Cabin on the Siuslaw River front is almost done. Too cold and wet for taking the 54 out but adding some old and new pics. The first are back in 1985 when it was still on original frame with a 235. Pic shows it just out of the shop with a brand new metallic silver grey paint job. My Kid in pic is now 42! The pic with the lady is my now 96 year old mom. Good times pass quick. Bad times drag on.

VWNate1 12-24-2021 04:01 PM

50 years ago You Were given this USAF 54 3100

1 Attachment(s)
The good thing is : you're still here and have good memories .

Somewhere I have a picture of me sitting astride my 1965 Harely-Davidson Pan Had Motocycle holding my new born son .

He's now 43 and I just visited him and my grand kids, life is very good indeed in spite of the last two years ;) .

vintovka 12-24-2021 11:25 PM

Time fly's doesn't it? Also i asked mods to move the thread to the projects section which they did. Also need to update title to "52 years ago" !!!!

VWNate1 12-25-2021 12:27 PM

My How Time Flies

Yes, time certainly has a way of sneaking behind one's back .

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana .

vintovka 12-25-2021 12:35 PM

Too true. Come spring i hope to drive the 54 as often as I can. Time slowed some when we moved to Oregon from the ranch in Placerville. Still going too fast.

vintovka 03-04-2022 05:14 PM

Well i backed out of the garage. Turned wheel to left and the power steering box literally puked all its contents out of the lower seal. I have less than 1000 miles since it was installed. The previous one lasted 2 months. Bad news is they are both NAPA Gold remanufactured by Cardone boxes. Good news is they both had "lifetime" warranties. Maybe 3 is the charm????????????????????????

VWNate1 03-04-2022 10:56 PM

"Rebuilt" Parts

Yes, this is a concern .

I didn't know Cardone offered a lifetime warranty, that's good .

I just ordered and received a rebuilt power steering pump for a '79 Dodge, I checked it out before trying to install and discovered one of the threaded holes in the back for the bracket bolts, was stripped and they'd ignored that , overhuled the pump and shipped it out anyway...

Good help is very hard to find these days, why I'm still doing most repairs my own damn self .

LostChord 03-07-2022 02:01 PM

Absolutely love your truck, very cool.

vintovka 03-07-2022 03:46 PM

Me too (when its not puking out one fluid or another).

VWNate1 03-07-2022 08:38 PM

"when its not puking out one fluid or another"

AHEM :

Your truck is NOT puking out fluids, it's operating the clever "Flow Through Lubrication And Anti-Rust System", good design as it's still working as well as it did when new....

vintovka 03-07-2022 08:59 PM

Poor old thing is incontinent

vintovka 03-18-2022 10:36 AM

Well in the next episode of "as the stomach turns" there's some promising news and a warning. After repeatedly contacting NAPA over their crappy, potentially dangerous rebuilt steering boxes, i finally got a call from their chief resolution guy. After explaining this was the second failed box and expressing severe concern over a 3rd he made an offer i couldn't refuse. (I am Sicilian BTW). Today a primo box custom built by Red Top gears came by UPS express. They paid over $300 (plus a 200 core). Having it installed next week as (name a body part) is in dire pain. Does mean i am eating the labor from all 3 installs but better than forking out more money in parts. I have concluded NAPA is grimly aware that selling poor quality rebuilt stuff may be cost ineffective and are taking steps to improve the situation. When the box blew out the lower seal near lost control on a narrow river bridge. Came close to not being here. I do fear that as our nation rapidly succumbs to engineered chaos there is lots more bad defecation on the horizon.

vintovka 04-05-2022 10:06 PM

New "Redhead Gears" Power steering box was installed today, The could not believe the near new NAPA box had failed so badly. Apparently the core they used to rebuild should have been junked as the lower seal above the pitman arm had completely blown out. The new box is great and worth the over $400 it cost NAPA. STill cost me $180 plus the cost of previouslt installs and the $211 NAPA charged for the first failed one. It feels much tighter than others. Will post pics of old and new is anyone wants.

nvrdone 04-06-2022 09:30 AM

I would love to see pictures & details. I considering installing p/s on my straight axle '49

vintovka 04-06-2022 10:02 AM

Mine is on an 84 GMC K10 4x4 chassis so stock stuff is a no brainer. (if you can find non junky parts) Best to post on main forum for assistance/ideas on power steering upgrades. I will say that adding power steering to your 49 will allow a much smaller steering wheel increasing cab space.

VWNate1 04-09-2022 11:52 AM

Poor Quality 'Rebuilds'

I hear you .

I just replaced the weepy original power steering box on my brothers 1979 Dodge D200 long service bed crew cab beast, one of the threaded holes on the cast iron part was clearly stripped and full of SWARF ~ I guess no one bothered to properly look at the core first .

RockAuto.com is very good about this sort of thing and sent me a call tag and as soon as I shipped the bad part they shipped me another, good one, I had it installed by the time they received the defective part .

I'm going to return the old weepy pump as good cores are getting hard to find and this pump fits a million or so old ChryCo products .

Glad you didn't go off that bridge ! .

vintovka 04-28-2022 08:51 PM

The defective box is back in their hands. Shop that did work said they will not use any Napa rebuilds or replace a napa rebuild with another. Bottom seal and washer near pinion fell out on return counter along with remainder of oil. Never seen the like.

vintovka 07-13-2022 11:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just an update. Somewhat calmed down since our move to the cabin on the Siuslaw River. Been a tumultuous year plus and put everything on the back burners. Now that the 54 is back to full operational status (i hope) it was time to automate its new garage. I added a door opener and bought a car cover from CA covers ---and it fits. I actually washed the 54 for first time in a year just so i could try it on. The door opener opens both the 10x8 doors simultaneously and required fabrication of mounts and a "door bar". Got ideas off net and modified things a bit. Need to hurry as time in my "4th quarter" is rapidly running out as memory, skill and stamina drain away.

joedoh 07-13-2022 11:27 PM

love the ingenuity! nothing like a new shop too

vintovka 07-13-2022 11:40 PM

Thanks. Will say a metal shop wasn't my first choice but the cost of another stick built was out of the question. The vertical double door opener is a bit strange but works. May really appreciate it during next winters rain storms. The only other option was like 5 to 10 times more and possibly outside my abilities. Next issue is addressing leaks and steering column issues. .

6DoF 07-14-2022 07:26 AM

i am sending that door bar idea to a buddy right now

Tempest67 07-14-2022 08:18 PM

neat idea with the 'door bar'........thanks for sharing

vintovka 07-14-2022 09:11 PM

If interested there's a number of utube videos on vertical openers i got several ideas from. Almost all installations with rollup doors will require an extension kit so factor it in.

VWNate1 07-16-2022 11:00 AM

Still Punting

Thank you for checking in ~ I just lost an old friend who's younger than I .

I like the view out of your new garage and hope the location change is everything you hoped for .

Please keep checking in as I too am hard up against the aging and physical isses .

vintovka 07-16-2022 11:56 AM

Re: Still Punting

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 9102115)
Thank you for checking in ~ I just lost an old friend who's younger than I .

I like the view out of your new garage and hope the location change is everything you hoped for .

Please keep checking in as I too am hard up against the aging and physical isses .

Sorry to hear. Lost my youngest sister 3 days ago. She was in full remission from cancer until she got the vaccine.

New location is flat fantastic and may join a car club today to make it better yet. Tough to work on 54 in garage as views here are phenomenal. We are 100' from the wide river and backed up into a forest with most trees well over 100' tall. The pine needles get into everything so garage is a must.

joedoh 07-16-2022 01:28 PM

what a view! i wouldnt get anything done. sorry about your sister, and your friend vwnate

vintovka 07-16-2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9102160)
what a view! i wouldnt get anything done. sorry about your sister, and your friend vwnate

Yes its tough to get stuff done and its nice to go out and just breath the Ocean/Forest fresh air. No shortage of mens (and tough ladies) outdoor "facilities" with like 200 trees as well. Heading out to the Rhody Cruisers Ice Cream Sundae gathering over at the Event Center today 1-3. Odds are i will go in as a guest and come out as member.

Thanks for the condolences. Life takes a new direction when the youngest sibling passes before you. I will not forget or forgive the cause.

FWIW going to visit a club member tonight to get advice as to why the 54 keeps stalling.

vintovka 07-21-2022 10:40 PM

Just an update. After checking everything for 5th time and was surprised to see that my steering column is so worn out that tilting the wheel up actually made it stall. Tore it down and will attempting a rebuild. The balls fell out of the both upper and lower races and the 4 main screws were so loose they can be turned out with just fingers. No sign of loctite!!! I flat told the pothead mechanic to use red locktite and he assured me that he did!!! Lying sack of ****e. Anyway will attempt rebuild in AM any clue how to get the remainder of the bearing races out of the housing???? also is the race on the column shaft permanent or has to be cut off? Failing this will be looking for a new column and have posted same on main forum.

vintovka 07-26-2022 04:21 PM

Well my two day effort to tighten the column is a dismal failure. I think the ball and or lower housing is broken somewhere i cannot see. Am going to replace it (0r let me say have it replaced). In joining the car club i found someone who comes highly recommended and will just wait for his schedule to clear. It does (or let me say did drive). The same drug impaired fool who said he fixed the column during the so called restoration Used cheap plastic zip ties to keep the main battery cable to the starter away from the headers. Guess what happened? Scraped the cable off the header now awaiting the replacement. Same guy talked me into reusing the wiring harness from the 84 chassis. Bad move. Replacing it as well.

joedoh 07-29-2022 12:11 AM

man thats a whole lot of terrible in one post. hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon

vintovka 07-29-2022 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes. Very frustrating but still a bucket list challenge at 73+. I have a good guy in the wings to do some long needed repairs including the leaks and steering issues. The poor electrical work prompted me to tear out about half the wiring and start making repairs. The "rats nest" under the drivers side dash was driving me nuts. So far i tore out all the old make shift connections to the original 84 GMC chassis harness and leaving only the primary functions. In process of replacing the burnt battery cable and adding heat shields as needed. Also added gold plated battery lugs with multiple wire attachments.
Again trying to try to keep the 84 harness for all the primary functions and adding a second sub fuse box for all the interior accessories like radio, heater, wipers etc.. First sub fuse box is for the exterior stuff requiring relays like electric fan, exterior lights, horns and stuff. Again shoulda replaced the original 84 harness but now too late. Also adding heat shields to cables and wires anywhere near the headers.

I also removed the wiring to both the dash and gauge panel ammeters. Already have a accessory voltmeter and will try to convert the indash ammeter to a voltmeter as well.

After this hopefully i can hang up my tools and relay on others to do any future maintenance of a serious nature.

I should rename this thread "54 years ago i started this restoration"

VWNate1 07-29-2022 03:50 PM

Still Going.......

I hear you cry .

This is why I hate letting others touch my vehicles .

No one ever cares enough to do the job (any job) properly .

Dammit

vintovka 07-29-2022 06:05 PM

Yes. the more i find the more disgusted i get. Try not to think i paid for it as well. Hopefully separating circuit and documenting each will help. Those of you who do can do your own work should really be extra thankful.

VWNate1 07-29-2022 07:58 PM

Dishonest Tradesmen

Well ;

I took my 1960 C/10 to a place and they said 'yes, yes don't worry and clipped me for $40,000.00, more than I make in a year and returned it NOT RUNNING .

The paint was glorious but I'm not able to do the assembly so it sat for a few years, I recently gave it away just to get rid of it :waah: .

I'm not allowed to post anyhthing for sale here no matter how many free parts I've given away .

SIGH .

vintovka 07-30-2022 11:32 AM

Re: Dishonest Tradesmen

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 9107015)
Well ;

I took my 1960 C/10 to a place and they said 'yes, yes don't worry and clipped me for $40,000.00, more than I make in a year and returned it NOT RUNNING .

The paint was glorious but I'm not able to do the assembly so it sat for a few years, I recently gave it away just to get rid of it :waah: .

I'm not allowed to post anyhthing for sale here no matter how many free parts I've given away .

SIGH .

Yeoww!! Very sorry to hear. I think this forum would do much better with an open trader but realize the work needed to moderate it.

Think I Am making progress (?) on mine and will post pics soon

Rickysnickers 07-30-2022 03:37 PM

Re: Dishonest Tradesmen

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 9107015)
Well ;

SIGH .

Very sorry about your project. That just flat out sucks! You can become a premium member for $25. If you have some nice parts to sell, you will more than make up for the $25 investment. Just something to consider.

VWNate1 07-30-2022 11:16 PM

Reality Check

Thanx Ricky ! .

The deal is : like many old geezers I'm on a fixed budget so I can't afford to pay, "pay To Play" is, IMO a rip anyway and causes much loss of good parts and vehicles as not everyone is rich .

I used to do the swap meet thing in the 1970's but am old and disabled, I can't mail packages etc....

To the junkyard it all goes :whine: