The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Free Candy Inside: 63 Long Panel Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627721)

joedoh 02-08-2015 02:36 AM

Re: Free Candy Inside: 63 Long Panel Build

I had a forward tilt hood setup and loved it, a friend on mine took it all apart to do it so much cleaner and then moved to wisconson. so I bought the PB hinges, they work great!

glad you got you lift figured out!

Free Candy Inside 02-08-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7038899)
I had a forward tilt hood setup and loved it, a friend on mine took it all apart to do it so much cleaner and then moved to wisconson. so I bought the PB hinges, they work great!

glad you got you lift figured out!

Any pics of the forward hood set up? Porterbuilt website is down but I've seen prices around $250 which is a lot to spend in my opinion but I may have to just pay up.

Mjminino 02-08-2015 07:03 PM

Honestly, I wouldnt do the reverse hood, but that is just me. So hard to work on anything. PB is some quality stuff and really good engineering, totally worth the money. I am contemplating on using inner fenders or not, so I too will have to fork over the cash to get some. you are not alone

Free Candy Inside 02-08-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjminino (Post 7039725)
Honestly, I wouldnt do the reverse hood, but that is just me. So hard to work on anything. PB is some quality stuff and really good engineering, totally worth the money. I am contemplating on using inner fenders or not, so I too will have to fork over the cash to get some. you are not alone

I've always thought thier stuff is top notch until recently when another local guy bought a front crossmember. The bag mounts weren't lined up so the bag rubbed and was at a horrible angle. The lower bag mount bolt was off and had to be re drilled. They send random hardware for the struts that didn't fit/wasn't correct, and nothing came with any instructions or parts labeled. So you literally had to figure out which bolts went where, how to install the rack, etc. The stuff looks super nice but for $3500 it should bolt in with no complications besides the rack. Luckily he didn't have everything powder coated which he originally was going to do.
I also experienced the same thing with my Michigan Metal Works control arms. I don't get it, a simple tech sheet would go a long way. I was pretty much told that they expect you know what you are doing and because it was a "budget series" no instructions were include. So why not put a quick link on the website that shows how to install or tell me important things like the cross shafts come torqued to specs??

I don't know, maybe I'm just being picky, but I've done lift kits that come with detailed instructions and pictures. Maybe they just think hicks are too stupid to figure things out but if they can sent instructions on a $150 leveling kit it seems they should be able to send instructions with $900 control arms and $3500 suspensions.

Rant over. Lol

Mjminino 02-08-2015 09:19 PM

It is always good to vent once and awhile, it keeps your system in balance

joedoh 02-08-2015 09:29 PM

its was a lesabre hinge and bmw rollers. It worked well but didnt make it through the rebuild.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/IMG_3513.jpg

if you take a lesabre apart you will see how the hinge works, and you could use the lesabre roller system just as easily. if you go slogging through junkyards to get the parts, make sure you take a 3/8 ratchet and a torx set.

Mjminino 02-08-2015 09:30 PM

^^^^^^ Nice Info

joedoh 02-08-2015 09:34 PM

oh you keep the stock hood latch with that system too. the way it works is you pop the latch like normal and the hood lifts up and forward about 6 inches then drops in front of the grille

Free Candy Inside 02-08-2015 11:03 PM

Nice. Thanks for the info!!! Might have to snag a set of hinges for this or possible future builds!

Free Candy Inside 02-15-2015 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much progress last week. Had school stuff and couldn't get out and work on the truck. I sent my wheels off for sandblasting and powder coating. I'm going with an antique white. I Also ordered some tires for it. I wanted wide whites but don't want to spend the $. So for now I got a tire with a thin whitewall. I'll probably have them cut to get a wider whitewall. Here's what I'm thinking.

Free Candy Inside 02-15-2015 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years so she got me this new welding helmet as a gift

Mjminino 02-15-2015 06:36 PM

yeah just take a 40 grit on a angle grinder and widen them to whatever you want. put the car in reverse

Mjminino 02-15-2015 06:36 PM

you got a facebook or anything bro?

Free Candy Inside 02-15-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjminino (Post 7049859)
yeah just take a 40 grit on a angle grinder and widen them to whatever you want. put the car in reverse

There's a shop on the west side that has a set up that cuts them nice and even for like $6 a tire. Well worth it to not deal with grinding them.

I'll PM you my Facebook. Otherwise I'm on Instagram @jaked937

Free Candy Inside 02-15-2015 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started working on rebuilding the firewall. I'm using 1" box to frame it out and to add strength. The "sqaure" area im thinking about adding the firewall/floor to the backside of it to kind of notch the firewall for tire clearance. I currently don't have issues but I'm thinking down the road if I ever want to put big wheels on it, this would take care of it now.

66PANEL 02-16-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Candy Inside (Post 7038771)
Thanks! It's def a boat. I almost gave up on it before I got going. Saw a shorter panel at a show and hated everything about it. Bout quit right then. But now I love this freak machine. The extra legthn makes it that much more crazy. Lol

Hope it wasn't mine!

Free Candy Inside 02-16-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66PANEL (Post 7050717)
Hope it wasn't mine!

No sir, not yours. This one was bagged and slammed in the ass end but didn't sit level, front end was higher than the back. Something about it drove me nuts. I think it was a combination of not sitting right and being a shorter panel that threw me off.

By the way, the goal is to make Beatersville. Lol. I told you I was trying to make it last year, but I guess I meant this year. Lol. I'm down to floors and a few minor things so it looks possible for this year!

66PANEL 02-16-2015 10:13 AM

LOL, cool you had me worried! That thing is really coming along, and looking good! Hopefully I'll see you there and hopefully I'll have my truck there too.

Free Candy Inside 02-16-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66PANEL (Post 7050763)
LOL, cool you had me worried! That thing is really coming along, and looking good! Hopefully I'll see you there and hopefully I'll have my truck there too.

That'd be awesome. I'm slowly plugging away at it. Gonna put in a full day today. The ultimate goal is to have the floors in and it pretty much done by April 1st. Then I'm going to try and fix the lower bedside panels, a little bit of paint and be done with it. Hoping to have all that done by March 1st. Get some road time and cruise it to Beatersville. For some reason Beatersville seems like the kickoff to summer car shows for me.

66PANEL 02-16-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Candy Inside (Post 7050789)
That'd be awesome. I'm slowly plugging away at it. Gonna put in a full day today. The ultimate goal is to have the floors in and it pretty much done by April 1st. Then I'm going to try and fix the lower bedside panels, a little bit of paint and be done with it. Hoping to have all that done by March 1st. Get some road time and cruise it to Beatersville. For some reason Beatersville seems like the kickoff to summer car shows for me.

Yeah I know what you mean, I cant wait either! I don't even have the body on mine lol. Oh, I like the welding helmet, she did good on that one!

Free Candy Inside 02-16-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66PANEL (Post 7050997)
Yeah I know what you mean, I cant wait either! I don't even have the body on mine lol. Oh, I like the welding helmet, she did good on that one!

Just got a call tonight about booking a hotel for Sunday night of Beatersville so we can have fun at the show and then stay and party.

Free Candy Inside 02-16-2015 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some firewall work on the passenger side today. Drivers side matches this and is already done. Still have some crazy wires going on over there so I couldn't get a good pic.

Mjminino 02-17-2015 07:02 AM

Looking awesome! :metal:

66PANEL 02-17-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Candy Inside (Post 7052098)
Just got a call tonight about booking a hotel for Sunday night of Beatersville so we can have fun at the show and then stay and party.

Cool, we did that the year I meet you. But we also went the night before and went to the Rev-up, at the Phoenix Hill Tavern, we'll probably do that this year too. It was a blast that building is so big they have 4 bands playing at 1 time! they block most of off during the car show.

66PANEL 02-17-2015 07:32 AM

Truck is looking good!

Free Candy Inside 02-17-2015 08:37 AM

Thanks. Live been the past several years. That place is crazy. It's a good show

Free Candy Inside 02-22-2015 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheels came back from the sandblaster. Hopefully they will get powder coated this week. Waiting on the powder to get here. Also got my new tires in.

Free Candy Inside 02-22-2015 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continued working on the firewall/floors. Got this far with it. Feel like Im getting closer to putting floors in. Still need my seats to figure out where everything is going to be. Sat my original seat in for now and everything feels like it's in the right spot. Lol.

Free Candy Inside 02-22-2015 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view. Trying to position the Lokar shifter. Don't really want to do much with it until I get the seats into position.

Free Candy Inside 02-22-2015 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also got a new sticker from a buddy. Ollie Williams from Family Guy. If you don't know, Google it. Lol.

Mjminino 02-22-2015 09:26 PM

Everything is looking pretty good! I love that sticker

Free Candy Inside 02-25-2015 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No real progress. Been busy with school. Hopefully the wheels will be ready tomorrow from powder coating. Hopefully I'll get some done this weekend. I did however fire up my Packard and let it run. Decided to snap some pics while I was at it.

Free Candy Inside 02-28-2015 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheels!!

Free Candy Inside 02-28-2015 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Really wanted wide whites but being a broke teacher those will have to wait. So these will work for now. Hopefully put these on today!

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Borrowed an offroad jack from a buddy to see if I could get the rear of the truck up high enough to swap out the wheels. It worked perfectly. Now I can plan on putting an access panel when I do my floors so that I could change a tire if j ever get a flat. Only issue is that I had to pull on the wheel arches to get enough space to get the wheels in. Don't want to have to do that. Considering going with CaptainFabs Impala disc set up which I think would give me more clearance.

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I get the rear bumper up almost 2' I have plenty of room to swap tires. Because I'm so low, I have to disconnect the bags and the shocks enough to get the axle to swing down far enough. Just glad I have a plan if that day ever comes out on the road.

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the truck sitting with the new wheels. Note this isn't at full lift

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And then laid out

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot of the wheels

Free Candy Inside 03-01-2015 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the rear tuckin hard. Now you can see why I needed the offroad jack. And the truck still is an 1" off the ground.