The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Captain America 68 short/fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468341)

BigDaddyV 01-15-2015 06:07 PM

Re: Captain America 68 short/fleetside

Nice work and I love the creativeness. Keep it up bud.

gottattooz 01-15-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 7004541)
What a perfect use for the hood springs! Its looking great. How did you get the hings mounted on the rolled part of the bed? I couldn't tell in the pics

The "feet" of the hinges are drilled and tapped into the 45 degree angle of the rolled lip. I tried taking pictures but you can't really tell what it is with the cover on. Since it only tilts like 45 degrees, I didn't need a whole lot of clearance to mount them.

-Josh

gottattooz 01-17-2015 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the best picture I could get for you, Dave.

-Josh

colgad 01-17-2015 10:03 PM

Is it tapped or a nut inside.

Look great, heavy duty hinge!

gottattooz 01-18-2015 11:30 AM

It's tapped right now. The right side is not as strong, so i might have to add support behind it if it pulls loose.

-Josh

gottattooz 01-22-2015 10:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My friend and I finished skinning the bed cover, finally. I love it. Now I can lock the cover into the tail gate and keep stuff secure and out of the weather.

-Josh

colgad 01-22-2015 10:17 PM

Is that rivets holding the skin? If so what kind/type? I take it they are not pop rivets.

gottattooz 01-22-2015 10:26 PM

The whole thing is riveted. The frame work uses MonoBolt rivets. The skin has the kind of rivets you have to use an air hammer and dolly to fasten. My friend rebuilds and repairs trailer panels. He knows what kind they are and which ones to use. I asked if we could build a cover out of scraps and he obliged.

-Josh

gottattooz 02-10-2015 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Since my right rear rim was cracked in three places, I replaced them with the Factory GMC 20x8.5 wheels. I haven't been digging the look of the new rims, so I searched for some smaller 5-slots. I found a pair of 15x7 slots that I'l put on the front, and I'll put the 15x8.5's on the back. The 20x8.5's will go on Craiglist to try and recoup some of my money.

-Josh

colgad 02-11-2015 12:12 AM

You are the polishing King!

gottattooz 03-01-2015 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dave (colgad) gave me a passenger door for my truck. I filled the holes, did a little body filler and painted it. Unfortunately, the paint doesn't match, but I'm working on that.

-Josh

flashed 03-01-2015 09:20 PM

Wow ,another cool thread I somehow missed ,staying tuned now .

colgad 03-02-2015 10:46 PM

Big improvement over that old door you got from me!
If it hadn't been for you it would still be sitting around rusting away.

bruceman1968 03-02-2015 11:05 PM

Looks great Josh, your bed cover is off the hook, Awesome!

gottattooz 03-08-2015 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My friend Mike tinted a spare back window I got out of the junkyard. He's done several cool and unique designs before, and wanted to surprise me. To explain, the Window says
"Mothership Connection" with a broken piece exposing a Matrix background.

The "Mothership Connection" is something I came up with years ago. My 67 Skylark 4-door was deemed the "mothership", as I was the designated driver throughout my Marine corp enlistment. That grew a bit when I worked for a vinyl graphics company, and made Mothership Connection decals for my friends as an inside joke amongst friends.

Fast forward, my friend did my back window as a Throwback to our younger days. The "Matrix" background is several layers of green tint with letters ans numbers between each separate layer to create depth. He also put my name, Josh, in the matrix. I think it's awesome.

Also included is Mike's back window on his truck. It's a DragonBall Z scene with Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo.

My dad's 59 chevy stepside also has tribal flames and a spider in his back window.

-Josh

gottattooz 03-15-2015 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a pair of new front fenders from NPD in Ocala, FL. I scuffed them and painted them satin black. I was going to swap out both fenders, but just the one was enough to kick my ass. Every nut fastener for the inner fender wells broke, so I had to cut every bolt head off with a grinder.

I painted around the grille while I was at it. I didn't scrape the glitter off, because I have a feeling I"ll be tearing everything apart again in the near future, so I'll strip it when I get more time. It looks like those ice cream drumsticks with the cookie crumbles in the chocolate shell.

-Josh

gottattooz 04-18-2015 07:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished blacking out the Captain. Thanks again to Dave (Colgad) for the door. I replaced the passenger door and fender. Seeing as how I'll probably replace the entire cab one day, I just painted over the remaining glitter for the time being.

I got some door panels and arm rests out of the junkyard a few weeks ago. My plan was to clean the panels up and just paint them black. MY girlfriend suggested to paint them something other than black, so I painted them Graphite Metallic gray. I like the bit of contrast it adds to the interior. I have a replacement dash that I want to install one of these days, and I think it will receive similar treatment when the time comes.

-Josh

gottattooz 06-15-2015 10:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I took the captain on vacation to Maggie valley, nc. Not the best vacation, as my dad crashed on the first ride and broke ribs and vertebrae. I wore out the rear tire on my bike, so i cruised the mountain roads I the truck.

I pulled over on a scenic outlook on us 28. I tamed the tail of the Dragon.

-Josh

gottattooz 07-19-2015 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a set of 6-lug gambler wheels 15x8. I cleaned them up and got new tires for the rear 255/70r15's. I like how the rivets on the wheel compliment the rivets on the bed cover. I'll wait until i need front tires to replace the front rims.

-Josh

colgad 07-19-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 7211137)
I took the captain on vacation to Maggie valley, nc. Not the best vacation, as my dad crashed on the first ride and broke ribs and vertebrae. I wore out the rear tire on my bike, so i cruised the mountain roads I the truck.

I pulled over on a scenic outlook on us 28. I tamed the tail of the Dragon.

-Josh

How did you get Dad home? How's he doing?

gottattooz 07-20-2015 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drove dad's truck to my aunt's house in Thomas Ville, ga. My girlfriend met me there and drove me back to Maggie valley, nc. After i got home and settled, i rode my bike up to my aunt's house, loaded it In the truck, and came home.

My dad's step dad picked him up In Knoxville and brought him home.

He checked into the va hospital in Tampa for a few days, then into rehab In Zephyrhills for three weeks. He's home now and trying to take it easy.

Final count was four broken vertebrae (L1, L2, L3 & L4 lower lumbar), and four broken ribs on the right side (4,5,6&7).

He'll be fine. It's all bone damage, no nerve damage. They had him up and walking the next day in a turtle shell brace.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-19-2015 12:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Coming home from house hunting in Georgia, i got a flat on the left front. So today i bought some 235/60r15's and mounted them on the remaining 15x8 gambler wheels. I think it makes the stance look more aggressive.

-Josh

flashed 08-19-2015 12:19 PM

I like the look .

colgad 08-21-2015 01:09 AM

Sounds like your moving!!

gottattooz 08-21-2015 12:53 PM

I'm just looking, Dave. My girlfriend's son live near fort benning and she's In newnan. I'm trying to transfer to a shop in south Atlanta. But nothing happens until it happens.

-Josh

colgad 08-22-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 7280774)
I'm just looking, Dave. My girlfriend's son live near fort benning and she's In newnan. I'm trying to transfer to a shop in south Atlanta. But nothing happens until it happens.
-Josh

Hows the Buick 5.3 conversion going?

My 5.3 Jimmy is on the road but still has some bugs in the brakes to work out.
Any maybe and alignment.
Dave

Jimmy pic:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...ictureid=21713

gottattooz 08-22-2015 02:38 PM

I've had the engine in and out twice, pulled the transmission three times.

I got everything plugged in, wired up, routed and plumbed. Take her off the jack stands for a test drive and the transmission isn't working. I jack her up to put her back on the stands, and the jack slips off the cross member and smashes the oil pan. So I pulled the trans, lift the engine and swap pans, and put her back together. Trans still not working. Pulled trans again Wednesday and the front pump ears are sheared off. So I'm waiting on parts to rebuild te pump. After that, it's exhaust and interior, and she should be road worthy.

I swapped over all the good stuff from my 67 Skylark ( 4-wheel dics brakes, lowering springs, front and rear sway bars).

-Josh

colgad 08-22-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 7281666)
I've had the engine in and out twice, pulled the transmission three times.

I got everything plugged in, wired up, routed and plumbed. Take her off the jack stands for a test drive and the transmission isn't working. I jack her up to put her back on the stands, and the jack slips off the cross member and smashes the oil pan. So I pulled the trans, lift the engine and swap pans, and put her back together. Trans still not working. Pulled trans again Wednesday and the front pump ears are sheared off. So I'm waiting on parts to rebuild te pump. After that, it's exhaust and interior, and she should be road worthy.

I swapped over all the good stuff from my 67 Skylark ( 4-wheel dics brakes, lowering springs, front and rear sway bars).

-Josh

I have a 4L60 if you need to use parts

gottattooz 08-22-2015 09:47 PM

Thanks, Dave. I've got a spare engine, trans and wiring harness. Plus, to fix the trans, I'd rather not half-ass it with used parts. Been there, done that. But thanks for the offer. You're too generous, my friend.

-Josh

colgad 08-22-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 7281918)
Thanks, Dave. I've got a spare engine, trans and wiring harness. Plus, to fix the trans, I'd rather not half-ass it with used parts. Been there, done that. But thanks for the offer. You're too generous, my friend.

-Josh

Yea, going rebuilt is much better. I hope it works out and you can get it on the road. I am having brake issues with the Jimmy, I hate brake issues. I hate the way the brake fluid feels too.

gottattooz 08-22-2015 10:49 PM

If you need help with the brakes, or anything else for that matter, I'm more than happy to help.

-Josh

gottattooz 10-01-2015 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I swapped out the Amber turn signals for clear ones, and I removed the repurposed grille trim. I think it gives the grille that "floating" look i wanted.

-Josh

flashed 10-01-2015 08:59 PM

Looks great ,I had to go back to the start to make sure I was seeing the same truck .

colgad 10-01-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 7326822)
I swapped out the Amber turn signals for clear ones, and I removed the repurposed grille trim. I think it gives the grille that "floating" look i wanted.

-Josh

Does look better than before! Like it!
Hows the Buick going?

gottattooz 10-02-2015 08:25 AM

The Buick is officially Road worthy. I test drove it to Atlanta and back (to see my girlfriend). Everything runs smooth, and it's getting just over 20 mpg!

-Josh

bruceman1968 10-02-2015 09:41 AM

Wow Josh! That really does look great! You nailed it! The grill really does look like it's floating in there. It's a completely different transformation with the trim removed. Very nice!
also were having a meet at colgad's place Nov 7th 10:00am. I'll be sending out invites this weekend. Hope to see you there.

colgad 10-02-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceman1968 (Post 7327356)
Wow Josh! That really does look great! You nailed it! The grill really does look like it's floating in there. It's a completely different transformation with the trim removed. Very nice!
also were having a meet at colgad's place Nov 7th 10:00am. I'll be sending out invites this weekend. Hope to see you there.

Bruce, I just noticed I do have a conflict with the 7th could we do it a week later or earlier? So the 14th or the 31st. Sorry I just found out.

67ChevyRedneck 10-02-2015 01:00 PM

Quite a transformation! I really like the new grille!

Call me crazy, but take away the giant house numbers? on the hood and spattered silver paint? and the original color scheme (not paint job, color scheme :lol:) is actually pretty cool. Not that I would paint my truck like that, but kinda cool still.

bruceman1968 10-02-2015 03:46 PM

Hey Josh, Looks like the new date is Nov 21st. Hope you can make it!

gottattooz 10-02-2015 04:23 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I'll post the date on my calendar.

Redneck, if it weren't for the glitter In the clearcoat, i probably would have kept the original paint scheme. I didn't hate it, but the glitter was ridiculous.

-Josh