The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project 69SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555682)

~Whitey~ 03-03-2013 09:44 PM

Re: Project 69SWB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fattback (Post 5925183)
looks great :)

Rob

Thank you Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5925307)
Wow man that came out really nice, that wont be rusting again for a long long time.
A suggestion if I may, I noticed you are using a UV topcoat, since it will never see any sun you might want to use a less expensive product on that part, and save the UV topcoat for another application.

Thanks Brian. UV rays are everywhere not just in direct sunlight. This Herc UV topcoat is a product I've used several times and trust so I'm going to stick with it. It's not that expensive ($20 quart) I don't want to buy another potentially non compatible product to add over my fresh herculiner. These two where made to work in unison with eachother.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-03-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5925334)
Cab turned out great! awesome job replacing the whole corner of the cab. If you don't mind how exactly did you get the cab up on its back? I have a few ideas in my head but getting a few other opinions on methods before I do it.

I am concerned that someone stole your identity and changed your name:lol: Keep up the great work!

Thank you sir! That whole corner was a job. Whew!
To lay the cab on its back, I enlisted my neighbor and a friend of mine. Myself and my friend each got on a rocker, lifted it up and tilted it to my neighbor and laid it down nice and easy. :smoke: I did not want to chance denting up the back after all the work. An no identity stolen... After many emails back and forth with the admins they fixed me up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 03-03-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ (Post 5925445)
It's not that expensive ($20 quart) I don't want to buy another potentially non compatible product to add over my fresh herculiner. These two where made to work in unison with eachother.

For some reason I had it in my head it was more expensive than that, but yeah for $20 it's a no brainer.

~Whitey~ 03-03-2013 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took 1/2 quart of the UV protectant.

Operation Undercoat complete. :sumo:
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-05-2013 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is last of the rust repair on the cab. Should get this taken care of this week.
Passenger side of cab roof. Rest of roof is just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-05-2013 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I plan to cut a piece from my other cab to fix both of these areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

sduckworth13 03-05-2013 01:05 AM

Jimmy everything looks great. Your floor looks so good, I'm going to do my floor just how you did yours. Go easy on the roof repair, it will warp if your not super careful.

KSWes 03-05-2013 02:45 AM

subscribed! Nice job on the cab floor! that is on my to-do list very soon!

Xeen 03-05-2013 08:42 AM

Great job on the rust repair, I appreciate that you do things right.
One of the things I enjoy about this board is that I get to see alot of rust repair done right, guys are removing rust replacing with new metal then welding it in, then using the correct methods to fix dents, reshaping the metal instead of just filling with bondo, we live in a world where people don't take any pride in their work anymore but when I see all the honest, hard work people do here I have hope.

~Whitey~ 03-05-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5928067)
Jimmy everything looks great. Your floor looks so good, I'm going to do my floor just how you did yours. Go easy on the roof repair, it will warp if your not super careful.

Thank Scott, I'll get some pics tonight of what I cut from the other cab... It was quite the experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 5928201)
subscribed! Nice job on the cab floor! that is on my to-do list very soon!

Thank Wes, plan on taking a whole day to do it... with most of the time spent on prep and waiting in between coats. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5928362)
Great job on the rust repair, I appreciate that you do things right.
One of the things I enjoy about this board is that I get to see alot of rust repair done right, guys are removing rust replacing with new metal then welding it in, then using the correct methods to fix dents, reshaping the metal instead of just filling with bondo, we live in a world where people don't take any pride in their work anymore but when I see all the honest, hard work people do here I have hope.

Thanks a lot Brian, I try to do the best I can. I have learned a ton just through this site and reading other peoples build threads.

Low Elco 03-05-2013 04:13 PM

Floor looks terrific! Have fun with that roof.

~Whitey~ 03-06-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5929143)
Floor looks terrific! Have fun with that roof.

Oh I always have fun. :-)

~Whitey~ 03-06-2013 11:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I cut out the bad section of the roof. You can see where I had originally drawn my line, but after cutting out the donor section.. I decided it's best to cut as little as possible.

Attachment 1071571

There had been some previous work done here. Instead of cutting out the bad section they just filled it in; It was also dented in here a tad so I wanted to get the dent out and did not want to fill it in with bondo.

Attachment 1071572

I had to grind down the welds so I can fit this piece flat against my donor piece and get a nice line for cutting.

Attachment 1071573

Here it is marked up and ready to cut. I left the donor piece on as a guide while I cut.

Attachment 1071579

I sprayed some Eastwoods Fast Etch and Prep into the open section of the roof to convert the rust and it leaves a nice zinc phosphate coating.. I will still spray some primer in there before I seal it up. All in all the inside looked pretty good. Was just this corner that had a little pitting.

Attachment 1071580

~Whitey~ 03-06-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is just kind of laid in there... Still have a little trimming to do. This part of the rust repair went pretty smooth... I decided to stop last night it was getting late and I didn't want to rush through the welding part.

Bennett68C10 03-06-2013 11:47 AM

Nice work on the cab

XxCHEVYMANxX 03-06-2013 12:06 PM

Cool Build! Nice job on the rust repair. I was lucky in that department, and didn't have much to deal with. keep up the good work!

~Whitey~ 03-06-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5930742)
Nice work on the cab

Thanks Keith!

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5930780)
Cool Build! Nice job on the rust repair. I was lucky in that department, and didn't have much to deal with. keep up the good work!

Will do. thanks John!

Fattback 03-06-2013 06:27 PM

Looks good.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fattback (Post 5931449)
Looks good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Fattback!

Low Elco 03-07-2013 02:14 PM

Fitup looks good! A tip- open a beer. Turn good tunes on. Aim gun at one end. Tack. Sip. Aim at middle. Tack. Sip. Aim at end. Tack. Sip. Continue until done. Seriously, on the roof, go REALLY slow. You'll be fine, just don't throw a lot of heat at it in a hurry. Props on even attempting the repair. If you haven't welded it yet, consider tying a coathanger around a sock, dipping it in POR or the sauce of your choice, and rodding it down the inside of the seam, to kinda seal it up as best you can. Best of luck, it'll be cool. If the advice bugs you, don't be afraid to tell me to pound sand. Are you going to Brad's?

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5932983)
Fitup looks good! A tip- open a beer. Turn good tunes on. Aim gun at one end. Tack. Sip. Aim at middle. Tack. Sip. Aim at end. Tack. Sip. Continue until done. Seriously, on the roof, go REALLY slow. You'll be fine, just don't throw a lot of heat at it in a hurry. Props on even attempting the repair. If you haven't welded it yet, consider tying a coathanger around a sock, dipping it in POR or the sauce of your choice, and rodding it down the inside of the seam, to kinda seal it up as best you can. Best of luck, it'll be cool. If the advice bugs you, don't be afraid to tell me to pound sand. Are you going to Brad's?

hahaha. Well I'd only tell you to pound sand if it were obviously bad advice. :-) I got it welded up last night but didn't take pics. It went really good and I can't tell that it warped anywhere. Great idea with the sock and hanger, wish I would have done that but too late now. I did soak it all down good with Fast Etch and Rust fix,, I'm sure the welding burned out some of that. As long as I seal it up good and it stays dry it should be fine. Not sure about the Meet n Greet, we have some other plans next weekend but might be able to stop in for a few.

sduckworth13 03-07-2013 09:23 PM

Roof repair looks good Jimmy, I'll stop holding my breath now. Glad you didnt have any problems with it.

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Scott. It went pretty good, I wouldn't say perfect. It pulled on me in a couple places. Ill just have to fix it in the next stage.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And after grinding down the welds.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can only upload 1 pic at a time from my phone.
Here's another.
Posted via Mobile Device

sduckworth13 03-07-2013 10:04 PM

That looks good, wonder if you could use some lab metal filler to seal it up real good and keep it from leaking?

~Whitey~ 03-07-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5933735)
That looks good, wonder if you could use some lab metal filler to seal it up real good and keep it from leaking?

As far a the weld seam it's solid. I'm going to go ahead and spray some epoxy on this area and then lay down some evercoat rage gold to smooth it up. Then when I get done with all the priming and whatnot I'm going to use a self leveling sealer on the drip rail. It should be waterproof at that point.
Posted via Mobile Device

sduckworth13 03-07-2013 10:39 PM

Cool, I'll be watching and taking tips.

Low Elco 03-08-2013 12:46 AM

Came out great!
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-08-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5933815)
Cool, I'll be watching and taking tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5934040)
Came out great!
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks fellas.

gdavis 03-08-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ (Post 5933723)
Can only upload 1 pic at a time from my phone.
Here's another.
Posted via Mobile Device

You did a Fab job on the rof. Great work.;):chevy:

RWB-713 03-13-2013 11:26 AM

Nice work! Roof Looks Great!

XxCHEVYMANxX 03-13-2013 01:00 PM

Nice work Jimmy!

~Whitey~ 03-13-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5935143)
You did a Fab job on the rof. Great work.;):chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5944453)
Nice work! Roof Looks Great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5944600)
Nice work Jimmy!

Thank guys!

I laid down some epoxy on that part of the roof last night, then got up this morning before work and spread out some Evercoat Rage gold on the repair... going to sand that down when I get home from work this evening and see where I'm at with it.

mcbassin 03-13-2013 01:51 PM

Wow, Lot of good progress on your cab. You are knocking it out. It's pretty rewarding when it's all done and in primer.

ddubbs 03-13-2013 01:55 PM

Really liked what you started with. Progress is coming along great.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 03-13-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5944718)
Wow, Lot of good progress on your cab. You are knocking it out. It's pretty rewarding when it's all done and in primer.

I find myself ready to move onto something else and have thoughts of leaving this be for a while, but I'm hanging with it. This is how I felt about halfway through the frame and engine but stuck with it... then when I rolled it out, it was very rewarding and all worth while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddubbs (Post 5944733)
Really liked what you started with. Progress is coming along great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks ddubbs! I was pretty fond of my truck before I tore it down, but it needed some work. Looked a lot better in the pics than it did in person. It was a 50ft truck as I called it. (looked great from 50 away) :-)

alsriv2 03-13-2013 03:07 PM

Subscribed! This is a fantastic build you have doing here. I sincerely appreciate the PM's and will be watching your progress.

~Whitey~ 03-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsriv2 (Post 5944841)
Subscribed! This is a fantastic build you have doing here. I sincerely appreciate the PM's and will be watching your progress.

no problem Al! Hope to keep you entertained. :-)

~Whitey~ 03-15-2013 11:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Was able to get the roof in epoxy yesterday and start on finishing up the repair to the section I had cut out.

This was my first pass with the filler (evercoat rage gold), I sure like working with it. nice stuff. I did one other coat after this one and then top it off with a thin coat of and light sanding of evercoat polyflex glazing putty.

I had originally just laid the epoxy over the area I was working on, but after I got the repair done I went ahead and did the whole roof. Letting it dry tonight, then I have a couple tiny dings to fill in and will do one more coat of epoxy and then lay down the polyester primer... just on the roof only. Afterwards I'll move on to another area.

first pass of the filler
Attachment 1076814

After the epoxy.. I've always had a problem with orange peel due to my compressor not having any guts... especially with the thicker primers. I've only painted 2 jeeps before and color sanded till I was ready to puke. That problem is going away. I figure out of all the money I am spending on the truck I can at the very least upgrade my compressor and do a much better paint job. So by-by 26 gal Craftsman and hello in a couple days 60 gal Ingersol Rand with almost triple the CFM. :-) will post of pic of that when it comes in.

Attachment 1076815

Attachment 1076816

Attachment 1076817