The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   75 Dually build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=602994)

75Dually 07-28-2014 11:52 PM

Re: 75 Dually build

1 Attachment(s)
Small victories... Well I finally got back into the shop after getting my right hand worked on. Darn mesquite thorns! All I have done so far is strip the cowl and get it primed. I also have been doing the finishing work on the tail gate. Should have it completed this week and in it's final coat of primer. As I said small victories...

Next is the passenger side rear fender and the dually fender on that side. That should keep me busy and off the streets...

Stay tuned! :D

75Dually 09-03-2014 09:18 PM

Sorry guys there have not been any updates lately. Work has been super busy, but it should slow down here in a couple of weeks so I can get back in the shop and tackle the rest of this body work.

Some small updates... I have gotten all the air ride items back on the truck, but have not had time to run the calibration again.

Stay tuned...
;)

75Dually 09-23-2014 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK so I am now back in the shop working on the truck finally! Work has (thankfully) still been super busy and not slowing down, but I finally took some vacation for some much needed time off.

I have been working on my dirt bikes and my buddies dirt bikes getting ready for riding in Colorado. We just got back last week. We rode up and around Durango for a whole week. Amazing country! See the pics below. Now it is time to get back into the shop...

Tonight I finished up one of the dually fenders (passenger side), and the rear tail gate. So next is the drivers side of the bed. The old dually fender on that side needs lots of attention to get it right. Before we left on our trek I bought a Sata spray gun for the finish work. Man what a fantastic spray gun! Can't wait to shoot the color coats!

I hope to get more updates in the next couple of days and weeks.

Stay tuned...

Dieselwrencher 09-24-2014 06:06 PM

Nice body work, and Durango is a nice looking place. I haven't been there, but we have a member on here that lives there and sends me random pics. It's beautiful out there!

75Dually 09-24-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6855156)
Nice body work, and Durango is a nice looking place. I haven't been there, but we have a member on here that lives there and sends me random pics. It's beautiful out there!

Thanks man! Yeah it was so nice up there, but glad to be home and working on the truck.

slimneverdies 09-24-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75Dually (Post 6765382)
Karl,

TW&T did all my work as you know. They are really great to work with! If I remember it right Trevor charged me $125 per wheel for the machining from 22.5" to 22". He cuts the inner surface where the bead sits. I also got the rear 4 rims face milled 3/8". That gave me the correct dimensions to tuck the rear with stock fenders. That was $75 or $100 per wheel for the face milling, for some reason I can't remember the exact cost on that. Maybe I am suffering from CRS... Can't Remember Stuff! ;)

Darn!!! I thought I read on duallyscene that you didn't have to do anything to fit the semis because you have the 3/4 ton rear. Did you absolutely have to have that 3/8" milled off ???

75Dually 09-24-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimneverdies (Post 6855319)
Darn!!! I thought I read on duallyscene that you didn't have to do anything to fit the semis because you have the 3/4 ton rear. Did you absolutely have to have that 3/8" milled off ???

The short answer is yes. Without the 3/8" milled off they would not have fit tucked under stock fenders. It was either modify the fenders or have TWT mill them. In the end it was much cheaper for Trevor to do the milling than mod the fenders... Hope that helps.

Ghostwhite 09-25-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75Dually (Post 6855707)
The short answer is yes. Without the 3/8" milled off they would not have fit tucked under stock fenders. It was either modify the fenders or have TWT mill them. In the end it was much cheaper for Trevor to do the milling than mod the fenders... Hope that helps.

Ok, to briefly recap you are using a 3/4 SRW 14 bolt and had TWandT machine 3/8 off both back wheels from the face. Face being where they mount together and not the lip?

I just picked up a SRW 14b and was going to slap on my Dually hubs(reweld backing plates) and make it C&C width but if I can clear without then that would be more clearance between the frame and inner wheel lip for bags and bars. It would also make swapping to discs easier.

Your build is looking good as always.

75Dually 09-25-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostwhite (Post 6855856)
Ok, to briefly recap you are using a 3/4 SRW 14 bolt and had TWandT machine 3/8 off both back wheels from the face. Face being where they mount together and not the lip?

I just picked up a SRW 14b and was going to slap on my Dually hubs(reweld backing plates) and make it C&C width but if I can clear without then that would be more clearance between the frame and inner wheel lip for bags and bars. It would also make swapping to discs easier.

Your build is looking good as always.

Thanks brother! You should be good to go with the setup you listed above. Post some pics as you progress, or better yet start a build page so we can all see your progress. Send me the link if you do that...

75Dually 09-25-2014 11:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I am starting round 2! Got the drivers side on the table. Had to get all the water out of the shop first, we had 3" in 1 hour last night! Holy cow! So the shop got some leakage under the main door, and I got the job to clean it all up... Them's the breaks.

I also was looking through Craigslist last night and saw a guy parting out a square single cab. So after work today I went by and picked up this tailgate for $40 bucks. OK I know I just finished my other one, but I really wanted the version with the stainless trim across the rear, and this one was in pretty good shape. So I will pull it off and metal work it back into better shape. Then all I have to due to the blue tailgate is sand it down, primer it, and then shoot some color. Easy right!

If the weather permits I will get the drivers side all torn down and the gas hole welded up. Then I can get on that fender and knock this side out.

Stay tuned! :D

75Dually 09-27-2014 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After all the Honey-do's today I got into the shop and with the help of my son we tore down the drivers side. Once we got the dually fender off I stripped all the trim off and then welded up all the holes. I also made a plate to cover up the old fuel outlet and welded it in place, and I welded up all the holes someone had made in the bed rail too. After that I cleaned up all the welds and then metal worked them in preparation for the body filler. Lots of clanging and banging in the shop today, glad my neighbors are so cool...

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Next is the dually fender, which was in better shape than I originally thought. Time to clean it up and get some primer on it.

75Dually 10-07-2014 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little bit of progress here and there. Been working on the drivers side body work tonight. Just a couple of spots to clean up, and then I will shoot it's first coat of primer.

Next is the dually fender... Glad it is cooling down some.

rwade 10-08-2014 12:06 AM

Looking good, keep at it! Cooler weather is definitely a motivator.

Wade

75Dually 10-08-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwade (Post 6871276)
Looking good, keep at it! Cooler weather is definitely a motivator.

Wade

Wade you got that right. I appreciate the encouragement!

75Dually 10-17-2014 10:27 PM

Well I actually got something accomplished today on the truck. I was having a heck of a time trying to get the Accuair to calibrate. The tech guys at Accuair are super to work with by the way. The problem I was having was that I was starting the calibration when the truck was completely on the ground air'd out. So with some trial and error we figured out that I needed to start the sequence with it at ride height, and it did the trick. Now it is up and fully running, THANKS Shea at Accuair, you're the best!

Now I can get onto the body work... Hope to have all the rear bed parts in primer by tomorrow night. :D

75Dually 10-21-2014 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on a couple of things tonight. I started on the drivers side dually fender. Got some of the body work on it completed. I still have a lot of the small chip holes from stones being thrown at it over the years, but I think I am going to throw my first coat of primer on it first so I can see all of them clearly.

I also needed to rework the inner fenders. I did not like the first Bondo layer I threw down on either of them, so I cleaned it all out and started fresh. I still have some spots that need some body filler, and some tin canning on the side wall to get rid of before I lay down the bed spray coating on them.

Stay tuned... :D

75Dually 11-04-2014 12:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some real progress this weekend. Got a first coat of primer on the drivers side rear fender and the dually fender. I did a second coat on the passenger side as well. Now to work out all the small flaws...

Above the drivers fender is the inner fender with it's first coat of bed liner. One more coat and it should look good enough to install. Now to get the other side done...

At least I got some time this past weekend to work on it. :D

Stay tuned!

slimneverdies 11-04-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75Dually (Post 6902987)
Some real progress this weekend. Got a first coat of primer on the drivers side rear fender and the dually fender. I did a second coat on the passenger side as well. Now to work out all the small flaws...

Above the drivers fender is the inner fender with it's first coat of bed liner. One more coat and it should look good enough to install. Now to get the other side done...

At least I got some time this past weekend to work on it. :D

Stay tuned!

Mighty fine work there buddy. So are you painting the dually fender on the panel?

aggie91 11-04-2014 09:45 AM

Looks good!

75Dually 11-04-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimneverdies (Post 6903067)
Mighty fine work there buddy. So are you painting the dually fender on the panel?

Thanks man! No I had the dually fenders on last night to check the fitment and the gap between the dually fender and the fender. So I thought while I had them on there I would snap some pics for the forum.

75Dually 12-06-2014 03:53 PM

Just to give everyone an update, my mother was hurt a couple of weeks ago and I have put all the projects on hold until she gets better. You can replace cars and trucks, but not mom!

My hope is to occasionally go out and get some small items done here and there. I guess my new target is going to be the Lone Star throwdown early next year.

Stay tuned!

Low Elco 12-06-2014 07:00 PM

Hope your mom gets better!

75Dually 12-06-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6947073)
Hope your mom gets better!

Thanks so much! Very kind!

Dieselwrencher 12-07-2014 04:04 AM

Take care of your mom! The truck will wait for ya!

75Dually 12-07-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6947616)
Take care of your mom! The truck will wait for ya!

You got that right! Thanks man!

75Dually 01-06-2015 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A short update. Mom is doing somewhat better. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

Now on to Dually business! I am trying hard to get this truck ready for the Lone Star Throw Down. Now when I say ready all I mean right now is to get it into primer and drivable. I will be trailering it there, so no maiden voyage as of yet.

I have so far finished primering: both dually fenders, passenger side rear fender, tailgate,the front panel of the bed, and the hood. I was doing the finishing body work on the drivers rear fender tonight. Should have that finished tomorrow, weather permitting.

So by this weekend I would like to have the bed back together that way I can start on the roof and fix all that old hail damage. It's not too bad, but it still needs to be done right...

I have a long list, but I am sure that most of it will get done. No matter what I want it up on the trailer ready to go to the show.

Stay tuned!

rwade 01-06-2015 12:22 PM

Good progress! Glad to hear mom is doing better. Hope to see it at lonestar throwdown. Take care

Wade

75Dually 01-19-2015 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally some progress! Now that the artic blast has left us I could get back into the shop and start to finish up the bed and start on the cab.

Today I finished up the drivers side rear fender and laid some primer on it. For now it is good enough, and when we get back from Lone Star Throw Down I can do some additional work and get the whole bed ready for paint.

I also have the bed front panel finished and in primer today as well. The tail gate has been done for a while, but I still wanted to snap a pic of it while I was in the shop tonight.

Got to keep at it so I can get this beast ready to go to Conroe!

75Dually 01-19-2015 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
BTW I found a pic I took of the tail gate when I first got it. I paid like $25 for it, and now look at it. I worked on this beast for several weeks to get it to where it is at today. I should have just bought a new replacement, but nah!

95gmc 01-20-2015 02:12 AM

Nice! I like it! I liked the two tone color on the bed!

75Dually 01-20-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95gmc (Post 7011123)
Nice! I like it! I liked the two tone color on the bed!

Thanks! Yes I liked the old colors as well. Still not 100% sure what the end color is going to be.

slimneverdies 01-20-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75Dually (Post 7011898)
Thanks! Yes I liked the old colors as well. Still not 100% sure what the end color is going to be.

How'd you fill those screw holes for the bed panel? The ones on the lettering seem like they would give a few problems

75Dually 01-20-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimneverdies (Post 7012224)
How'd you fill those screw holes for the bed panel? The ones on the lettering seem like they would give a few problems

Basically it was just welding them up, grinding them down, and then as little body filler as I could get away with. You are right those letters were the hardest part. That is why I said I worked on it for a couple of weeks (OK off and on over those weeks...) but either way I spent a lot of time getting those small details right. The 'R' was the most difficult because one of the mounting holes was right on the letter, and it made that job a bit more interesting...

However that is why they call it a hobby, if we did not like it so much it would be called work!

Thanks for following my build!

75Dually 01-28-2015 12:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Great night to be in the shop. Started by taking the air ride valve apart on the #1 (drivers side front) assembly. Cleaned that dude until it was sparkling inside, made sure there was not a spec of anything on or in it, and then reassembled it. Fired up the truck and let the air system fill up, and that dude still was bleeding air past! I have cleaned that valve several times and it still bleeds air past and lets the front end rise up! Arrrggg!!!

Guys what am I doing wrong? It is letting air past the valve and allowing the front end to creep up on the front corner only, but the seals and the valve is spotless. What else should I be looking at? What have you guys experienced and how did you fix it? Please let me know...

We also got the drivers fender off the bench and bolted it up to the frame work for giggles and grins. Took the drivers side front fender off (now that I have a clean work table!) and started to strip it down so I can start the body work on it. Trying to get some work done while the weather is cooperating for the next 2 days, then we get cold again until early next week.

I want to get both front fenders in primer by mid next week, but that depends on the weather...

Let me know your thoughts on the air ride valve, need some help!

bluex 01-28-2015 01:09 PM

On your valve while its creeping up try removing the soleniod from the valve or unhooking the wiring to it. Maybe you have some residual voltage causing the valve to slighty open? That or some part of seat is damaged or the spring is being overcome by the air pressure. Thats pretty much all that can go wrong with them if your using the seperate valves.

75Dually 01-28-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 7023372)
On your valve while its creeping up try removing the soleniod from the valve or unhooking the wiring to it. Maybe you have some residual voltage causing the valve to slighty open? That or some part of seat is damaged or the spring is being overcome by the air pressure. Thats pretty much all that can go wrong with them if your using the seperate valves.

Thanks BlueX I will try that out. Hopefully I can narrow it down.

stepside83 01-30-2015 01:46 PM

this is a cool build, one of my dream trucks bagged dually square body.....someday hopefully

75Dually 01-30-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepside83 (Post 7026558)
this is a cool build, one of my dream trucks bagged dually square body.....someday hopefully

Thanks stepside83! It was a bucket list vehicle for me as well. Bought it right and have had a blast getting it this far. Stay tuned there is a lot more to come on this build.

75Dually 02-03-2015 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's Fender Tuesday! Fender Tuesday! :P

Jammin' tunes in the shop tonight trying to get this rough beast in shape. Had to hammer and dolly the inner lip a ton. This fender was a cheap body shop China fender and the typical areas that are smooth on an OEM fender are anything but on these cheapo fenders. Oh well they need to get done so we can roll on the 20th for Lone Star!

Stay tuned!

rudigginit 02-04-2015 11:14 AM

Your truck is freakin awesome!! One day ill build a slammed crew cab dually