The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Kabwe's aka Bam's build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=440079)

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6084714)
Not really much to report but I did get to do a little this weekend. I welded up all the interior seams and grind them smooth to give it that smooth and finished look that was lacking from the factory. I got it in primer and now it needs to be blocked sanded. I'm happy with the look so far. It was a lot of work but I've been told many times that the devil is in the details.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/8...5a7857583b.jpg

Hadn't been back to your thread in awhile.

That just looks outstanding! I LOVE the interior seams filled and smoothed. I knew a guy that did his with filler and had no cracking even years later and more recently there was a magazine article about doing it with a more modern fiber reinforced filler. Did you consider doing that or (be honest) would it strike you as half-assing it?

Bam, what brand/type primer do you? I THINK you mentioned it before but in your old thread.

Kabwe 05-30-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6099371)
Hadn't been back to your thread in awhile.

That just looks outstanding! I LOVE the interior seams filled and smoothed. I knew a guy that did his with filler and had no cracking even years later and more recently there was a magazine article about doing it with a more modern fiber reinforced filler. Did you consider doing that or (be honest) would it strike you as half-assing it?

Bam, what brand/type primer do you? I THINK you mentioned it before but in your old thread.

Nope Dan I did not consider it at all because I'm of the belief that if something is going to go wrong it would happen to me.lol So I always err on the side of caution. I've seen seams crack that were filled with just filler. I would never fill a seam with filler only, but I would not call anybody's work half -ass either. I just have a different comfort level thats all. I do what I'm comfortable with. I welded all the seams and then I use fiberglass reinforced filler over the seam once my welds grind down. I then used regular filler over the area to fix any imperfections. It may be over kill but it helps me sleep at night.lol

As far as the primer I use? I use SPI epoxy primer and primer surfacer you have to get it shipped its not sold locally. But since I tried and really like slicksand I use that instead of a primer surfacer and block it to perfection. It has more build which allows you to block the heck out of it and most of it will end up on the floor it you body work is good but the panel will be straight.

hotrod1 05-30-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6099467)
Nope Dan I did not consider it at all because I'm of the belief that if something is going to go wrong it would happen to me.lol So I always err on the side of caution. I've seen seams crack that were filled with just filler. I would never fill a seam with filler but I would not call anybody's work half -ass either. I just have a different comfort level thats all. I do what I'm comfortable with. I welded all the seams and then I use fiberglass reinforced filler over my welds. Over kill maybe but it helps me sleep at night.lol

I use SPI epoxy primer and primer surfacer you have to get it shipped its not sold locally. I tried and really like slicksand to get panels super straight.

Bam: I hear ya. If you are going to do it, make it right. You dont want the next guy who will own your truck (after you are done with it) to say that you were a schlock. A lot of people may say "who will see it anyways?" I will see it.

Kabwe 05-30-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 6099489)
Bam: I hear ya. If you are going to do it, make it right. You dont want the next guy who will own your truck (after you are done with it) to say that you were a schlock. A lot of people may say "who will see it anyways?" I will see it.

Well most likely I will never sale this truck (unless I need cash bad), but if I'm going to do something I have to live with it so I do it the best way I know how. I don't want to see cracks in the seams and call myself a schlock.lol

hotrod1 05-30-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6099508)
Well most likely I will never sale this truck (unless I need cash bad), but if I'm going to do something I have to live with it so I do it the best why I know how. I don't want to see cracks in the seams and call myself a schlock.lol

You will never have to worry about that because everything you do is 1st class and something to be proud of.

Kabwe 05-30-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 6099517)
You will never have to worry about that because everything you do is 1st class and something to be proud of.

Thanks buddy, but I know I'm not as good as others think.lol I'm just trying to get better and better with each thing I do. Its an addiction.

VDOG 05-31-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6099537)
Thanks buddy, but I know I'm not as good as others think.lol I'm just trying to get better and better with each thing I do. Its an addiction.

Just take the compliment and say thank you. Now get back to work so we can learn from one of the best. :lol:

Kabwe 05-31-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6100354)
Just take the compliment and say thank you. Now get back to work so we can learn from one of the best. :lol:

I would say something mean but than I remembered that you are not worth the effort.lol

Are you ready for the brothers truck show? Are you taking your truck or do you want to roll with me?

Dan in Pasadena 05-31-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 6099489)
... If you are going to do it, make it right...

The opposite of "right" is wrong, so you're saying that using filler; fiber or not, is wrong?

I don't feel that way since I know someone who has done it successfully AND since magazines are recommending it. But I can see why it would give pause.

As for who will own my truck later or what they'll think of me? I couldn't care less. If I don't care about other's opinions of my truck or me now, why would I care about some far off, probably-after-I'm-dead owner?

My intent IS to fill/remove my interior seams and PROBABLY via mig since I now own one but I was still curious what Bam thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

VDOG 05-31-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6100448)
I would say something mean but than I remembered that you are not worth the effort.lol

Are you ready for the brothers truck show? Are you taking your truck or do you want to roll with me?

Man thats low, you cut me deep Sherk. LOL
Have not made up my mind yet. I said I need to at least be patched up before I took my truck. Still practicing on how to weld. I will let you know.

Kabwe 05-31-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6100653)
My intent IS to fill/remove my interior seams and PROBABLY via mig since I now own one but I was still curious what Bam thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just remember that if it means being extreme and going way beyond what is necessary, that is exactly what I would do.lol

jjjmm56 06-01-2013 08:56 AM

Been reading through some past posts and as allways your doing fantastic work. I can't wait to see more.

Dan in Pasadena 06-03-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6100734)
Just remember that if it means being extreme and going way beyond what is necessary, that is exactly what I would do.lol

So your truck is gonna have 1000hp, have extra tall '59 Cadillac fins, and fire coming out the exhaust?:lol::lol::lol:

Nah...I know what you mean. You want yours to be unique - me too. Just unique-to-me.

Kabwe 06-03-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6105195)
So your truck is gonna have 1000hp, have extra tall '59 Cadillac fins, and fire coming out the exhaust?:lol::lol::lol:

Nah...I know what you mean. You want yours to be unique - me too. Just unique-to-me.

I notice you take things out of context.lol Its not about being unique my friend. That statement meant where others would have been happy with my roof patch I decided to replace the whole roof. Others would blast the floors and if the the metal us pitted but not rusted through they would keep them (they are right) but I would replace the floors. I always do extras because I'm nuts.lol

VDOG 06-04-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6105324)
I always do extras because I'm nuts.lol

Man thats way too tempting to not clown you. But its all good. Yes because of your build and the info you give me, I have learned not to cut corners on certain things. Again not knocking anyone, its an each his own thing on how they want to build their trucks.

Daze57 06-04-2013 03:22 PM

Kabwe

you do fantastic work - my 02cents worth

Kabwe 06-04-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6107168)
Again not knocking anyone, its an each his own thing on how they want to build their trucks.

Yes thats how I feel, its good to see that we finally agree on something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 6107176)
Kabwe

you do fantastic work - my 02cents worth

Thanks buddy I really appreciate that.

VDOG 06-04-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6107181)
Yes thats how I feel, its good to see that we finally agree on something.

What? We agreeded, im getting old.

JR25 06-19-2013 01:58 PM

BAM,
We are going thru withdrawals! I subscribed to your thread a couple of months ago, and was simply amazed and inspired by your creativity....... And now you've gone silent!

I hope everything is still going well for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 06-22-2013 01:58 PM

Ummmmm... yeah, man, what he said!

Kabwe 06-22-2013 05:01 PM

Man I'm really not thinking about that truck right now. Too much on my plate sorry. I will update when I get started on it again and that will hopefully be soon. Maybe I will start on it again after the Brothers Truck Show next week.

mknittle 06-22-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6136908)
Man I'm really not thinking about that truck right now. Too much on my plate sorry.

No reason to apologize Bam! Sometimes the truck is the last thing on the list!

oldman3 06-22-2013 08:18 PM

We've all been there, sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes we need a break, to collect our thoughts and then we're ready to go again...Jim

57picupnewbie 06-23-2013 04:12 AM

Bam, how are you old friend? Just caught back up with your post. Had to take some time off for a few things like you are doing now. I just finished my lower door hinge pocket this week. I have to tackle that dreaded inner pillar pocket tomorrow. It feels good to be back at it again. Take care and keep us updated on yours as you can.

57picupnewbie 06-24-2013 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4402937)

Bam,

I have a few questions about how you made your cuts on your firewall. I have attached a picture of mine. As you can see, I have been practicing welding the holes up since I was going to cut that portion out for a patch anyway. My question is did you make your cut at seam #2 and then use filler back up to seam #1 to smooth it all out? Or did you make the cut at seam #1 for the patch and then fill? I hope this make sense what I am asking?