The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

OregonNed 01-01-2015 01:35 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

1 Attachment(s)
One more

CST10 01-01-2015 08:15 PM

Converted my ol 68 C10 inline 6 cylinder from points ignition to an HEI set up. It runs so much smoother and better now. Finally got rid of that stumbling issue that popped up every now and then.

jethro5333 01-02-2015 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
replaced brake cylinders. replaced rear shoes, drums and lines. did the c-notch and springs earlier. waiting for Flowmaster 40 series mufflers then reinstall the bed.

VWNate1 01-02-2015 12:31 PM

HEI Upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by CST10 (Post 6980913)
Converted my ol 68 C10 inline 6 cylinder from points ignition to an HEI set up. It runs so much smoother and better now. Finally got rid of that stumbling issue that popped up every now and then.

Don't forget to open the spark plug gaps up to at least .045" (I'm running .070") and enjoy the extra power ! .

:metal:

Already Gone 01-02-2015 02:40 PM

Its +1F or -17C outside and snowing in the Great White (cold) North and I'm at work today so all I can do is dream about all the things I am going to do to my new truck when it starts to get nice here in April...

CST10 01-02-2015 04:30 PM

Re: HEI Upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 6981693)
Don't forget to open the spark plug gaps up to at least .045" (I'm running .070") and enjoy the extra power ! .

:metal:

I set them at .060". Runs like a champ now.

UNEASYRIDER 01-03-2015 05:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fixed a rip on my seat!

magwakeenercew2jh 01-03-2015 06:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I taught myself that I have not learned a damned thing about building these trucks in all my 68 years.

On my way to take care of the chickens this morning ("Yes, dear." "I'm glad you want to have eight chickens just like your old Italian neighbor
did when you were a kid." "I'm sure that you *will* do all the work."), I passed RAT siting and waiting for the rest of the stuff that's coming
(white face overlays) in order to install a slick amp:volt gauge kit from Forum Member, Forum Merchant, and all around good guy Tom at:

http://www.classicgaugeandcluster.com/

I remembered that I'd been head-scratching over the dash lights going dark a couple of months after installing the LCDs. Since I don't drive
much in the dark, I'd forgotten that I need to address that. And, since I want to pull the dash and bezel to install the kit from Tom, and I'd
already checked the fuse block on the chance that...well you know...fuses.

So, off with the dash grommet retainer, parking brake assy., undo the screws, push the light switch button under the dash to pull the "switch mast",
unscrew the ww and faux choke knobs, unbolt the under-dash steering column yoke, unscrew the phillips that hold the bezel on....clip the lines to
the non-GM tach. Unbolted the oil pressure gauge line, and the speedo cable.

Replaced a bulb that was burned out (one of the orig. that I couldn't reach when I installed the LCDs).

No dash lights (juice is there at the connector, 'cause the turn signals, etc. work). Brand new M&H harness. Pretty.

Got on the ground with a flashlight and peered at the fuses again. Pulled the 3A cluster fuse. Looked good. "WAIT!!!" "LOOK!!" "Hold it up to the light!"
"It's ever so slightly blown." Which means, it's blown.

Glad I waited to multi task to pull the dash, (the amp gauge:volt gauge conversion from Tom), or I'd really be pissed at myself.

Possmguts 01-03-2015 07:17 PM

gazed at and adjusted my Shopping cart and though about how I wish i could hit the checkout button...

outdoorsman310 01-03-2015 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Moved my toolbox up the highway with the failing transmission thm350. Was ok until i was parking it. What you can't see is my other truck loaded with my toolboxes, cart, and vortec 350 for the '70.

Putting a sm465 and vortec engine in it.

67CC 01-03-2015 08:45 PM

Pulled engine out a few months ago. Freshened it up, new cam, heads, and valve gear. All this took a lot longer than planned and I had a lot of trouble getting it going.

So today I went out in the snow and played around with getting the dizzy in right(that was another thread) and it finally fired up! Yessssss! Just in time to let it sit all winter, though. Haven't got to drive it yet. Well, we'll see.

Crazyduck 01-03-2015 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started putting this together.

notsomellowyellow 01-04-2015 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent my birthday at the shop putting my 70 back together. After staying at the body shop until 11:45pm on new years eve(yes my wife has disowned me) I needed to take a couple days out and get back on track. Far as I got today, was putting the new Weld Draglites and BFG'S on and installing the grill.

BugzC10 01-04-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsomellowyellow (Post 6984125)
Spent my birthday at the shop putting my 70 back together. After staying at the body shop until 11:45pm on new years eve(yes my wife has disowned me) I needed to take a couple days out and get back on track. Far as I got today, was putting the new Weld Draglites and BFG'S on and installing the grill.

Nice looking rig:metal: ....more pictures and specs please.
And welcome aboard.

DaHos 01-04-2015 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the floor cleaned and coated, then I got the 350 "mouse motor" out to get it ready for mockup..........had a little eviction party..... ;)

88fordf150 01-04-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHos (Post 6984405)
Got the floor cleaned and coated, then I got the 350 "mouse motor" out to get it ready for mockup..........had a little eviction party..... ;)

What did you coat the floor with? I'm trying decide between paint or coating. Where a bouts in Michigan are you from? I'm in Jackson County.

DaHos 01-04-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88fordf150 (Post 6984435)
What did you coat the floor with? I'm trying decide between paint or coating. Where a bouts in Michigan are you from? I'm in Jackson County.

Dupli-Color Truck bed liner in spray can..........I'm up in Owosso.......

Boog 01-04-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Mouse motor indeed. Those little buggers will nest up anywhere. :lol:

notsomellowyellow 01-04-2015 05:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 6984328)
Nice looking rig:metal: ....more pictures and specs please.
And welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome. The truck is a 1970 Fleet, running 550hp, GM 502, Turbo 400, 2500 Stall, mini tubbed, 12Bolt 3:73 Moser Axles, MSD, 345/55R15 BFG Drag Radials, 3" Flowmaster Exhaust. Body has 4" Chop, frenched and shaved everywhere and has just been painted Spa Yellow(Acura NXR colour) with water born Dupont Cromax Pro paint. It still needs a interior update, as the truck was originally customized in the 90's, so thats next winters project.

Already Gone 01-04-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyduck (Post 6983788)
Started putting this together.

I like those valve covers, are they from a Corvette? Are they available from a vendor?

ole dollor 01-04-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsomellowyellow (Post 6984125)

well happy birthday and welcome to the forum from Texas .that is a real nice truck you have there....

Crazyduck 01-04-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 6985128)
I like those valve covers, are they from a Corvette? Are they available from a vendor?

Yea they are from a vette... Although I bought the engine used with them installed so not sure where to get a set. Glad you like them I think they are pretty sweet.

Possmguts 01-04-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

WOW.. how did those buggers get in there?

Ozzy2013 01-04-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6983510)
I taught myself that I have not learned a damned thing about building these trucks in all my 68 years.

On my way to take care of the chickens this morning ("Yes, dear." "I'm glad you want to have eight chickens just like your old Italian neighbor
did when you were a kid." "I'm sure that you *will* do all the work."), I passed RAT siting and waiting for the rest of the stuff that's coming
(white face overlays) in order to install a slick amp:volt gauge kit from Forum Member, Forum Merchant, and all around good guy Tom at:

http://www.classicgaugeandcluster.com/

I remembered that I'd been head-scratching over the dash lights going dark a couple of months after installing the LCDs. Since I don't drive
much in the dark, I'd forgotten that I need to address that. And, since I want to pull the dash and bezel to install the kit from Tom, and I'd
already checked the fuse block on the chance that...well you know...fuses.

So, off with the dash grommet retainer, parking brake assy., undo the screws, push the light switch button under the dash to pull the "switch mast",
unscrew the ww and faux choke knobs, unbolt the under-dash steering column yoke, unscrew the phillips that hold the bezel on....clip the lines to
the non-GM tach. Unbolted the oil pressure gauge line, and the speedo cable.

Replaced a bulb that was burned out (one of the orig. that I couldn't reach when I installed the LCDs).

No dash lights (juice is there at the connector, 'cause the turn signals, etc. work). Brand new M&H harness. Pretty.

Got on the ground with a flashlight and peered at the fuses again. Pulled the 3A cluster fuse. Looked good. "WAIT!!!" "LOOK!!" "Hold it up to the light!"
"It's ever so slightly blown." Which means, it's blown.

Glad I waited to multi task to pull the dash, (the amp gauge:volt gauge conversion from Tom), or I'd really be pissed at myself.

Your so right been there done that too sometimes i guess we just forget to check the simple things first .ha ha

Lou Boffa 01-05-2015 05:18 PM

Nothing fun, but sure needed to be done: Upper/Lower Arm shaft/bushings, upper/lower ball joints (and a brake line I broke...DOH!) No more shimmy--nice tight ride.