The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Metaldoc 10-28-2020 11:40 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8828241)
Dig the headlights, I have Hella sealed unit headlights!

Shocks, I have a dedicated thread, will tell the story there.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...57d9c3a2_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1ec175a6_c.jpg
Discovered a problem......

Also got the heater fan and back-up lights working. I'm too stupid to figure out electrical, had a trusted mechanic do it.

Are the rear springs bolted to the trail arms ? Looks like it's touching.

rechinca 10-28-2020 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New windshield installed...getting closer. Granted my glass guy only had to put the gasket and install the glass, but he was in and out in less than an hour!

palallin 11-01-2020 05:39 PM

About three weeks ago, my radiator let me know it wanted attention: when I got home from work, it was steaming. The leak appeared to be in the engine-side up near the top. a few days later, I backed the truck into the garage and pulled the radiator. Then my wife broke her ankle and needed surgery, so my time to work on the truck has been limited. I managed to get the rad up to what appears to be the only radiator shop in this time zone, and they're 3 weeks behind on work, so we'll see that they say when they can.

I popped the cap off the distributor today, and it's time for cap, rotor, module, coil (probably--why not while I've got it in pieces). I also checked a spark plug, and the electrodes are beginning to erode, so I guess he wants a set of them, too.

I think he's just jealous: I have been putting money and work into the tractors all summer, and he feels neglected, so he's making me spend money on him now. *sigh*

HO455 11-08-2020 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added some chrome to the firewall :lol:
Actually I put the foil over the wiring for my Gearvendor unit. A couple weeks back I ditched the HEI and replaced it with a Pertronix unit and a Pertronix coil. Several days later the Gearvendors controller started freaking out. The unit was lighting both lights and jumping in and out of overdrive. As a short term fix I unplugged it to prevent damage to the system.
It took me several days to put 2 and 2 together when it dawned on me that possibly the improved spark the new ignition was providing might be inducing electrical noise into the wiring for the overdrive controller. Wrapping the wiring near the ignition should prevent the induction of stray voltage.
So far so good, I drove to work and back with no problems. I will keep the foil on for a week or 2 just to be sure it solves the problem? Then a real solution will have to be developed.

BigBird05 11-09-2020 07:03 AM

Electrical noise is best solved with a dedicated ground back to the battery.

fb111ewo 11-09-2020 09:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Checked and changed gear oil in back axle. Cleaned up brake drums, installed new brake cylinders, shoes and hardware.

HO455 11-09-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8833494)
Electrical noise is best solved with a dedicated ground back to the battery.

I installed the GV controller with a separate power and ground controlled by a relay. There were no problems prior to the installation of the new ignition.
I believe the induced voltage is affecting the speed sensor signal. The GV supplied wiring is not shielded which for the price of a GV seems shoddy.

pjmoreland 11-09-2020 11:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Repainted my dash

LockDoc 11-09-2020 02:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
-
I have been driving the '68 Custom Sport Truck once in a while and even though it has a 327/TH400 with power steering and brakes it is a little bit cumbersome because of the low geared rear end. Not sure if it is a 4.11 or 4.57 I haven't taken the time to check it out. This morning I decided to put the Dana 60 coil spring 3.54 rear end in it that I have had for quite a while. I got all of the "U" bolt nuts broke loose and the "U" bolts free of the trailing arms on the '68. The Dana was sitting under the '70 Chevy pickup that has a '72 GMC leaf spring frame under it, and it was not bolted in. I pulled the Dana out and started cleaning it up and checking it out. I have all new brake parts for it so that will make that part easy.

I have other plans for the '70 Chevy/GMC and put the rear end out of another truck in it this afternoon. I will post about that after I get the '68 done.

The weather has been beautiful here all last week and is supposed to be decent tomorrow but then it is going to start getting colder and rain/snow mix. If that happens things will slow down because I am doing this outside.

LockDoc

Ol Blue K20 11-09-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8833689)
-
I have been driving the '68 Custom Sport Truck once in a while and even though it has a 327/TH400 with power steering and brakes it is a little bit cumbersome because of the low geared rear end. Not sure if it is a 4.11 or 4.57 I haven't taken the time to check it out. This morning I decided to put the Dana 60 coil spring 3.54 rear end in it that I have had for quite a while. I got all of the "U" bolt nuts broke loose and the "U" bolts free of the trailing arms on the '68. The Dana was sitting under the '70 Chevy pickup that has a '72 GMC leaf spring frame under it, and it was not bolted in. I pulled the Dana out and started cleaning it up and checking it out. I have all new brake parts for it so that will make that part easy.

I have other plans for the '70 Chevy/GMC and put the rear end out of another truck in it this afternoon. I will post about that after I get the '68 done.

The weather has been beautiful here all last week and is supposed to be decent tomorrow but then it is going to start getting colder and rain/snow mix. If that happens things will slow down because I am doing this outside.

LockDoc

That rear diff should give it some decent driving manners.

72c20customcamper 11-10-2020 06:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Stripped and painted the trans hump . While I was doing it my wife asked where it goes I showed her . She then said “ So it under the mat why are getting so fussy about it ? Told her I’ll know what it looks like under the mat . She responded .” You need help” said no not really it’s a small part I can do it by myself . She rolled her eyes and laughed.

pjmoreland 11-10-2020 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I reset the odometer on a replacement speedometer I'll be putting in my truck. I matched it to my current mileage. It's out of a 67 cluster, and the odometer didn't have the delicate plastic piece shown in older threads on the topic. Made it pretty easy to reset. The metal bar that the odometer fingers engage with goes the full width so no plastic piece is needed. I sprayed some paint on the needle as well. Hopefully this speedometer won't drift around like my current speedometer does. I already replaced the cable and it had no effect.

LockDoc 11-10-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8833768)
That rear diff should give it some decent driving manners.

I'm thinking so too Dale.

LockDoc

Trash 11-10-2020 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been making some progress on the sheet metal / body work and got the little 6 fired up but now it's almost time to put away for the winter.

TxGary 11-10-2020 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put the wheels & tires on, trans cooler lines installed, and all the hardware installed in the tailgate. Waiting on trim rings for the wheels.

Steeveedee 11-10-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trash (Post 8834251)
I've been making some progress on the sheet metal / body work and got the little 6 fired up but now it's almost time to put away for the winter.

You should cut out that right front wheel so that it is spoked! :hm:

BC10 11-11-2020 02:25 AM

Finally got to test drive the truck, after installing Redhead steering box. Man, what a difference! Sucker turns quick now.

j_cst_10 11-11-2020 11:10 AM

For some reason it was 80 degrees yesterday in November in Cleveland, OH so I did some last minute work.

Have had a leaking lift pump on my diesel powered 72 for the last 6 months. My dog runs underneath and comes out with diesel fuel on her back stinking the house up.

Also had time to pull the 10 bolt out of my 85 Monte Carlo SS for the Ford 9" I purchased. Overall productive day while still dealing with a 3yr old and 1yr old.

SoCoC10 11-13-2020 11:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Underside of my hood has a second layer of sheetmetal in the center. I’m guessing to stop or at least limit the hood shake. Painted the underside with Rustoleum Satin black.

pjmoreland 11-20-2020 05:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Painted and installed a set of rally wheels

Ol Blue K20 11-20-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8838518)

They look good! :metal:

Steeveedee 11-20-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8838518)

<Cries silently into beer> Someday I will find a long bed step side. It will have to be close by and rust-free, which is the thing that leaves me <Crying silently into my beer>When the stars align, I'll sell 3 or 4 of my wife's sewing machines to pay for it. :devil: :lol:

pjmoreland 11-20-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8838663)
<Cries silently into beer> Someday I will find a long bed step side. It will have to be close by and rust-free, which is the thing that leaves me <Crying silently into my beer>When the stars align, I'll sell 3 or 4 of my wife's sewing machines to pay for it. :devil: :lol:

I saw this long bed step side on Craigslist today.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...232564904.html

Steeveedee 11-21-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8838670)
I saw this long bed step side on Craigslist today.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...232564904.html

That needs more metal work than I'm willing to do. Thanks, though!

Blazer690 11-21-2020 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put the 3rd set of engine badges on my truck. These are the closest to right.CNC from kniesmachine@hotmail.com.