The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

MAC71Cheyenne 12-05-2020 06:17 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Not finished but took out the drive shaft and removed the u joints and carrier bearing. Had to special order the replacement parts so be a few days to get it back together. Using Spicer greaseable joints. Carrier bearing was shot and two of the u joints were dry with the needle bearings being dust. Couldn't find the warranty receipt and it's only 50 years old so why not.

BigBird05 12-05-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8843563)
Finished my first restoration of a steering wheel. It is nowhere near perfect, but I think it will look pretty good in my truck. There are definitely things I'd do differently next time, like applying the smallest amount of epoxy possible and doing all epoxy shaping by hand instead of using a pneumatic sander. I found the spots where the spokes meet the hoop to be the most challenging part to shape due to the curves. Where the spokes meet the hub was much easier.

What type or brand of epoxy did you use and where did you get it?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-05-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8843563)
Finished my first restoration of a steering wheel. It is nowhere near perfect, but I think it will look pretty good in my truck. There are definitely things I'd do differently next time, like applying the smallest amount of epoxy possible and doing all epoxy shaping by hand instead of using a pneumatic sander. I found the spots where the spokes meet the hoop to be the most challenging part to shape due to the curves. Where the spokes meet the hub was much easier.

Nice wheel and sharp 68.

pjmoreland 12-05-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8845495)
What type or brand of epoxy did you use and where did you get it?

I used PC-7 epoxy. Got it from Amazon. I was going to order it from Eastwood along with some other stuff, but they were out of stock on the epoxy.

pjmoreland 12-05-2020 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8845586)
Nice wheel and sharp 68.

Thank you. Here's a photo of it installed. I had a little Lecarra wheel on there before. I really like the way the original wheel feels when I'm driving. It is also nice to be able to see all of the gauges without having to duck down to see under the wheel.

BugzC10 12-07-2020 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally passed her on to my son. He was thrilled to get it out of my garage into his. He drove her from Green Valley Arizona to Buckeye Arizona with no issues. Thanks to the Forum members who helped me bring her back to life over the years.

Not all is lost....I bought myself replacement, a new 2021 Colorado ZR2. :metal:

Indyuke 12-07-2020 04:13 PM

Finally solved my horrible off-idle stumble!

The 2G 2bbl carb in my 68 (307 cu) has always had an off idle stumble. Rebuilding the distributor and the carb didn't do much of anything except make the motor run smoother and accentuate the stumble issue.

I did what any good shade tree mechanic does when they are at loss when hours of internet searching and soliciting opinions from better minds don't turn up anything. Just started throwing parts at it.

A NOS venturi cluster from a chevy Vega, of all things, is what finally solved the issue. I now have quick, snappy throttle response, even on a cold motor. No backfiring into the carb or out the tailpipe. No perceived reduction in power. Motor runs smooth, good vacuum on the gauge. No rich smell in the exhaust.

I'm sure there's a gotcha in there somewhere, but so far the change just blows my mind! The engine now runs nearly as well as a modern fuel injected motor. On a venturi cluster meant for a 4-banger.

zellway 12-07-2020 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend I hooked up my old work truck with some improved gauges.

89AKurt 12-07-2020 11:09 PM

All I did was put some Christmas lights on.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b3b71fac_c.jpg

MAC71Cheyenne 12-11-2020 02:11 PM

Yesterday was re-install driveshaft with new carrier bearing and u joints, cleaned and painted of course...
Today was install the new speaker for the radio and get the radio back in. Sounds great for am.

jimijam00 12-11-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8846659)

This IS bad ass, man.

BigBird05 12-12-2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8845589)
I used PC-7 epoxy. Got it from Amazon. I was going to order it from Eastwood along with some other stuff, but they were out of stock on the epoxy.

Thanks, I got a trash wheel that I am going to practice on.

Brocoli Wad 12-18-2020 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed my seat out.

The truck came to me with some shoddily shimmed in ‘93 Silverado seats. Comfy, but didn’t look right (to me). I’ve been looking for a seat and finally saw a ‘69 seat about 1.5 hours drive from me. Fellow wanted $50 for it. Has a duct taped end and it’s red, or used to be. Everything’s there, everything works, the foam is in good condition, springs are all intact. His truck was there, originally bought by his father. He found a nice set of buckets, which is why he ditched this one.

Old seats out, new seat in. Mama and I will run it for a week or so to ensure we want to live with it, then it’s carpet and cover time.

Good thing I got the smaller diameter steering wheel... Not as much belly room with this new seat!
Posted via Mobile Device

Boog 12-19-2020 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
turn

Chevys4life 12-19-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8846659)

Your are looking like a Christmas Tree!!!!

Andy4639 12-19-2020 06:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Added a couple of GM Chicklet emblems to the Ramp truck and worked on the 71 C-10 mirror mount for the late model mirror.:chevy:

Brocoli Wad 12-19-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8851820)
turn

Can you point me to the instructions for rotating pix? I searched and read but couldn’t find the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

pjmoreland 12-20-2020 03:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled a 700R4 from a 93 5.0 Caprice at the local Pick-n-Pull today. Picked up a mechanical speedo while I was there. Was not fun lifting it into the back of the car by myself. Thankfully, my daughter was able to help me lift it back out at home. Will be rebuilding it over the next month or two while my truck is at the body shop getting some old damage repaired.

rechinca 12-20-2020 11:04 PM

Finished wiring for aftermarket tach, finished installing radio and replacement speaker for the factory AM (turnswitch.com for the correct ohm speaker), installed PS pump and primed/bled the system, and took a run over to Fremont, CA and met with Bill at Vintage Chevy Trucks for a fan shroud. Ended up with correct bumper brackets, decent outer grill shell and center bracket/hood release along with the shroud. Should be able to have the radiator and support installed and the cooling system filled. Maybe break the motor in on Tuesday or Wednesday finally!!

allchevy58 01-01-2021 12:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My friend said it's about ready for paint. Bed ready, cab should be ready tomorrow. Helping him again tomorrow.

Ol Blue K20 01-01-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8857292)
My friend said it's about ready for paint. Bed ready, cab should be ready tomorrow. Helping him again tomorrow.

Great!! I'm waiting for pics.....:metal:

MAC71Cheyenne 01-01-2021 09:58 AM

Changed the lube in the rear end, cleaned and painted the cover...installed the refreshed jack hold down hardware, and did some final sanding on the '67 steering wheel.
...and got the look from the wife for spending the day in the garage!

MAC71Cheyenne 01-01-2021 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on PJM's look. Haven't swapped it out yet but reconstruction is done.

pjmoreland 01-01-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne (Post 8857541)

Looks great!

Andy4639 01-01-2021 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne (Post 8857541)

Did you have to redo any of the handle area. I have a 67 stock wheel I cut down but haven't finished it yet. I'm not sure what to use on doing the handle area that is gone.:chevy: