The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

weq92f 01-01-2021 07:04 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)

Did a reset on the EFI unit which means I now have to go through Initial tuning procedures and then let it relearn from zero...hoping to solve some idle issues and get overall better results.

This should have been done post top end rebuild anyhow!

Ol Blue K20 01-01-2021 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm gonna swap out my ho52 with a Dana 60. I buttoned up the 60 and geting.ready to do the swap.

Ol Blue K20 01-01-2021 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I test fit Blue in th shop too. I think I need to move the beer wagon though....lol

Steeveedee 01-01-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8857690)
I'm gonna swap out my ho52 with a Dana 60. I buttoned up the 60 and geting.ready to do the swap.

You going to change out the adjuster lever? It's not hitting the adjuster wheel in this pic.

Ol Blue K20 01-01-2021 10:26 PM

Yeah, I noticed they sold me the 11 inch lever. I swapped it for the right one. Good eye though.....

3757chevy 01-01-2021 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took some pictures as the new owners came to take the '71 away today.

weq92f 01-01-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8857730)
Good eye though.....

:agree:

-klb

davischevy 01-01-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8857694)
I test fit Blue in th shop too. I think I need to move the beer wagon though....lol

Nice work Dale.

Steeveedee 01-01-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8857730)
Yeah, I noticed they sold me the 11 inch lever. I swapped it for the right one. Good eye though.....

Thanks! I had to go to the parts store several times when I last did the rear brakes on my truck. One of the adjusters were "boxed wrong", as we call it in the parts bidniz. It took three tries to get the right one! It used to be that I told the parts store guys what I had, and got the correct parts. Things have certainly changed. I patronize the local NAPA, and those guys have owned that store for decades. They know their stuff, for sure. Some of the help, not so much. They know that when I come in looking for something old that isn't in their system, they can turn me loose on the paper catalogues to find what I'm after.

Ol Blue K20 01-01-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8857775)
Nice work Dale.

Thanks Larry

MAC71Cheyenne 01-02-2021 07:21 AM

I have used POR15 before. 1 pound in the smallest package it is available in, $33-$35 bucks. It's nice for larger areas like that, easy to work and a longer working time.
JB Weld steel stick is good for crack filling. It is a grey color which is nice for darker wheels and such. The only down side is it starts curing up quick. Says 5 minutes...
As long as you cut off a small chunk at a time and work one crack at a time you're good.
Have to try not to over do it tho because obviously it will take a lot of extra sanding to shape and smooth out

BigBird05 01-02-2021 10:42 AM

I bought a 7042210 carb today off of Market place.

66clow 01-03-2021 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This summer will be sooo much more enjoyable here in Florida. Got the AC installed.

BC10 01-05-2021 02:54 AM

Replaced front and rear bumper brackets.
Installed front and rear bumper.

toolboxchev 01-05-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8857694)

Those Coopers are really good tires, If you had got the ATP from Americas Best like I did you are in for a long ride with them. I did a hair over 70 K with them.

Ol Blue K20 01-06-2021 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8859513)
Those Coopers are really good tires, If you had got the ATP from Americas Best like I did you are in for a long ride with them. I did a hair over 70 K with them.

Thanks, long lasting won't hurt my feelings....:lol:

BigBird05 01-06-2021 09:09 AM

66clow, can you start a thread and show how you ran your A/C lines. I haven't done mine yet and am always looking for a better way.

Rich72C10 01-06-2021 10:38 AM

since getting my truck back from my brother its not what have I done to my truck today but what I have done everyday LOL!

In the last week I have:

Got my Side Mounted Rally spear tire installed - took a 8 inch bolt from ebay!
removed my radio and ordered a new Classic Sound radio/speakers from http://garytayman.com/
Bought a white radio delete plate here on the forums and installed yesterday (thought I was going to be without a radio longer, so that will be for sale soon)
re-did the dash with properly painted lens and replaced the tin from 70shortfleet
Replaced hard as rock/splitting vacuum lines for ducts (starting from reservoir to dash).
Found out I have a original GM key but the keychain had worn a hole so big the middle values where gone (LocDoc sold me a glovebox lock and is making me two new keys that match my truck).

The fun does not stop there, parts on the way for days to come! Like rubber stops for the glovebox. Screws / j-nuts for the headlight bezel and other screws/spings for the headlight cans.

Happy_dan 01-06-2021 10:49 AM

No pictures sorry, but changed the carrier bearing while the driveshaft is out of the truck.
Changed rear diff fluid.
Had exhaust manifold crack brazed, media blasted and painted it.
Removed battery box, media blasted the rust off, primed it and started first coat of paint.

Removed all core and oil galley plugs.
Blew out all passages with air and ran brushes through all holes.
Chased all threads
Cleaned all lifters and cleaning pistons and pushrods

Started the hone cylinder #2. It has a couple of pretty good scratches in it and will determine if I have to got to .30 over (I will hone it with my 3 stone hone until scratches are out and the remeasure to see if bore is in spec).

I really think I should just send block to machine shop and go .30 over.

Rich72C10 01-06-2021 10:50 AM

since getting my truck back from my brother its not what have I done to my truck today but what I have done everyday LOL!

In the last week I have:
  • Got my Side Mounted Rally spear tire installed - took a 8 inch bolt from ebay!
  • removed my radio and ordered a new Classic Sound radio/speakers from http://garytayman.com/
  • Bought a white radio delete plate here on the forums and installed yesterday (thought I was going to be without a radio longer, so that will be for re-sale soon)
  • re-did the dash cluster with properly painted lens and replaced the tin from 70shortfleet
  • Replaced hard as rock/splitting vacuum lines for ducts (starting from reservoir to dash). Upset the AC shop did not replace those :-<
  • Found out I have a original GM key but the keychain had worn a hole so big the middle values where gone (LocDoc sold me a glovebox lock and is making me two new keys that match my
    truck).
  • Installed headlight harness with a relay setup.
  • Installed new washer reservoir with pump in engine bay
  • Installed cowl screen

The fun does not stop there, more parts on the way for days to come! Like rubber stops for the glovebox and hood sponges. Screws / j-nuts for the headlight bezel and other screws/springs for the headlight cans that seem tired and loose. I even got a Glovebox light kit that is coming my way! I am sure I even have forgotten things I have ordered - its going to be like Christmas when packages arrive! LOL

pjmoreland 01-06-2021 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got to start working on converting to front discs last night. I ordered a kit several months ago, and the supplier had to shut down due to COVID. I ended up canceling my order with them, and got a Western Chassis kit from Performance Online instead. They were able to ship within three days of placing the order. The kit arrived the day before we left town for a week, so all I had time to do was paint the drop spindles and calipers. We're finally back home, so last night I tore everything apart. I will be drilling out the upper ball joint rivets and pressure washing the control arms tonight.

Happy_dan 01-06-2021 12:32 PM

Wow Rich, so much fun you did it twice. LOL

Rich72C10 01-06-2021 12:44 PM

That was not fun at all - though I am getting faster at it! So much so, I'll likely be doing the dash cluster *for a 3rd time* because I am getting dash light bleed-through into my left turn signal! I am thinking perhaps during the radio install, instead of pulling the cardboard glovebox out again I'll go from the dash cluster side. That thing is not so easy to get out (I have A/C) and it is already getting slightly damage in the upper left corner.

I just have to figure out how to seal the cardboard indicator tubes to the tin. The little seals that go under them are hard as a rock and I cannot find where to buy replacements.

Rich72C10 01-06-2021 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Daughter wanted to have a drive, so i took some photos. So that is what I did today, took some pictures LOL

72c20customcamper 01-09-2021 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New starter . Couldn't get the rebuilt to work properly