The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4.. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750501)

regan wilson 11-01-2022 06:01 AM

Re: Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4..

Glad to see you working on it. You should be able to knock it out now.

8man 11-01-2022 08:37 AM

Nice fix.

Ol Blue K20 11-01-2022 10:54 AM

Looks great, get er done!

Ironhorse 11-01-2022 04:56 PM

That's gonna' be one sweet rig when it's done! Love the attention to detail, that's what makes a nice restoration an outstanding restoration for sure. :chevy:

Vic1947 12-09-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 9139752)
That's gonna' be one sweet rig when it's done! Love the attention to detail, that's what makes a nice restoration an outstanding restoration for sure. :chevy:

X2! My grandad had one just like it for his monument business. I can still remember riding in it when I was a kid.

mongocanfly 12-12-2022 05:17 PM

Thanks guys..!!!
one step closer...
I've had all the wiring done for awhile ..havnt put gas in it yet mainly cause I knew I'd be welding close by..
Hopefully I've got the welding behind me.. I had some time this morn, so I bit the bullet, went to town and got 5gal of gas..poured it in the tank..hit the switch several times and primed the fuel system..
Nothing left but do it.. so I tried cranking it, it would hit a little, but never would fire.. fooled with it for about 20 min., still no crank.. there was a few ounces of gas left in the jug, as last ditch effort, I dumped it in the throttle...
hit the switch and it came to life.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. for about 10 secs..Haha
So I'm betting the injectors are plugged ...at least that's my thinking..its been sitting for several yrs.
I looked into new acdelcos , oreillys wants $117 each.. I'm gonna pull these and see if i can clean them..I've got a new ultrasonic cleaner Im itching to try on them ..

regan wilson 12-13-2022 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9154545)
Thanks guys..!!!
one step closer...
I've had all the wiring done for awhile ..havnt put gas in it yet mainly cause I knew I'd be welding close by..
Hopefully I've got the welding behind me.. I had some time this morn, so I bit the bullet, went to town and got 5gal of gas..poured it in the tank..hit the switch several times and primed the fuel system..
Nothing left but do it.. so I tried cranking it, it would hit a little, but never would fire.. fooled with it for about 20 min., still no crank.. there was a few ounces of gas left in the jug, as last ditch effort, I dumped it in the throttle...
hit the switch and it came to life.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. for about 10 secs..Haha
So I'm betting the injectors are plugged ...at least that's my thinking..its been sitting for several yrs.
I looked into new acdelcos , oreillys wants $117 each.. I'm gonna pull these and see if i can clean them..I've got a new ultrasonic cleaner Im itching to try on them ..

That's cool Greg. We are going to need some video when it moves under its own power.

jjzepplin 12-16-2022 06:24 AM

Good luck with the injectors. I guess I better look into cleaning mine before I even bother to try to fire mine.

mongocanfly 12-17-2022 11:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks Regan and Zepp..
If anyone's wondering how I went about cleaning the injectors this is what I've done so far
I machined me a aluminum adapter to go from a can of carb cleaner to the injectors
I 5min epoxied one of the cleaner straws into the adapter
The injector slides in the end and the oring seals it off..
I used o-ring lube on the o-rings to keep from causing any damage to them
I bought a cheap injector controller off ebay..it allows for 4 different setting, I used #4 that is the continuous firing mode..
I cut a injector plug out of the old harness to connect the controller to the injector
Then you simply mash the go button on the carb cleaner can and it blasts the cleaner thru the injector..
Found out quick you've got to hold the alum adapter onto the injector, it WILL build enough pressure to blow it apart...
Dont ask..Haha
2 of them were completely jammed up and at 1st wouldnt fire..took some time to get them loose
I'm gonna run them thru the ultrasonic cleaner for a while..I forgot to get the seafoam when I was in town..then I'll flush them all again with the carb cleaner setup, and keep my finger crossed that it works

regan wilson 12-18-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9156921)
Thanks Regan and Zepp..
If anyone's wondering how I went about cleaning the injectors this is what I've done so far
I machined me a aluminum adapter to go from a can of carb cleaner to the injectors
I 5min epoxied one of the cleaner straws into the adapter
The injector slides in the end and the oring seals it off..
I used o-ring lube on the o-rings to keep from causing any damage to them
I bought a cheap injector controller off ebay..it allows for 4 different setting, I used #4 that is the continuous firing mode..
I cut a injector plug out of the old harness to connect the controller to the injector
Then you simply mash the go button on the carb cleaner can and it blasts the cleaner thru the injector..
Found out quick you've got to hold the alum adapter onto the injector, it WILL build enough pressure to blow it apart...
Dont ask..Haha
2 of them were completely jammed up and at 1st wouldnt fire..took some time to get them loose
I'm gonna run them thru the ultrasonic cleaner for a while..I forgot to get the seafoam when I was in town..then I'll flush them all again with the carb cleaner setup, and keep my finger crossed that it works

Good thinking there Greg. Hope it works out for you. If it does you have a useful tool for the future.

Advanced Design 12-19-2022 01:04 PM

I’ve enjoyed catching up a bit Greg. Hope all is well and work has slowed for you. Nice work on the oil pan notch!

mongocanfly 12-19-2022 10:29 PM

Thanks Doug.!!.. nice blazer you acquired...

mongocanfly 12-19-2022 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I ran the injectors thru the ultrasonic cleaner with seafoam..i ran it at 180deg for 30 min..
This is what came out of them so far, theres more crud in the drain
After the 30min cycle I hooked each one up to the injector controller and suspended them in the seafoam, set the fire cycle on continuous, and ran each one at 180deg for another 15min cycle..
It got dark so I can't see how much ,if anymore crud i removed..
I'll spray them again with the carb cleaner setup and maybe thatll be good enough

mongocanfly 12-21-2022 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got around to draining the ultrasonic cleaner this morn, I drained the seafoam thru a paint strainer..
This is what came outta the injectors during cleaning

mongocanfly 01-05-2023 08:12 AM

Well, I've still got a no start issue..cleaning the injectors was needed, but didnt help..
I'm thinking now I have a fuel pressure issue..got a gauge coming to add to my fuel rails to verify that..

mongocanfly 01-05-2023 08:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
On another note, I had some decals made of the truck and the travelall..
I did the ruff drawings on these , then had stickermule do a redraw to clean them up
I did these in a cartoonish style..
I was prodded into this by my IH buddy, he had them made of all his trucks..
These are to hand out to kids at the car shows.....if never make it to one..Haha

72 tigger 01-05-2023 10:17 AM

Very cool stickers!

Ol Blue K20 01-13-2023 03:27 PM

I like the stickers, they're very nice.

mongocanfly 01-13-2023 10:14 PM

Thanks Kirk and Dale..!!!
I'm still fighting this no start issue..
I've cleaned injectors...they spray very good now..
I've verified I have 12v at the injectors..
Cant find my noid light, think I loaned it to someone and it never made it back home..
Got a new set of noids on the way
Should be here next week
It will run as long as I pour a little gas in the throttle..
Sure got me buffaloed

mongocanfly 01-14-2023 09:19 PM

Noid lights showed up in the mail today... Injectors not firing ...no time to troubleshoot for a few days

Ol Blue K20 01-22-2023 02:38 PM

Good luck, I don't know enough about diagnosing the modern stuff.

mongocanfly 01-22-2023 02:55 PM

Thanks Dale..
still not having any luck with it running on its own..gonna call the tuner that did my ecm unlock this week and see what he says
I've checked everything I know to check

mongocanfly 02-01-2023 11:51 PM

Got with my tuner guy today.. he looked thru his files where he did the ecm unlock.. he said it should be good.. and to double make sure, he hooked up and checked the ecm itself to make sure everything was there..it was .. he already had his suspicions as to what it might be.. crank sensor not reading.
He says you get the initial injector pulse, then the ecm needs to see engine rpm to continue firing the injectors...that's why I see the 1 time injector fire when cranking... since this was a running engine when I did the swap, he said I need to check the crank sensor wiring.. he said hes seen 3or4 harnesses that were pinned wrong in the past yr or so..and just to rule out the ecm ,were gonna put it in another truck tomorrow and make sure it runs..
..Still not sure how to check the crank sensor..but he did say if I had a hand tuner I could check the crank sensor signal with it...gonna check wiring 1st..

regan wilson 02-02-2023 09:17 AM

Good luck Greg. We're ready to see this thing running.

Ol Blue K20 02-04-2023 07:36 PM

Best of luck, I hope it's something simple.